Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

NSA collected US email records in bulk for more than two years under Obama

• Secret program launched by Bush continued 'until 2011'

• Fisa court renewed collection order every 90 days

• Current NSA programs still mine US internet metadata

Glenn Greenwald and Spencer Ackerman; guardian.co.uk, Thursday 27 June 2013 11.20 EDTt

The Obama administration for more than two years permitted the National Security Agency to continue collecting vast amounts of records detailing the email and internet usage of Americans, according to secret documents obtained by the Guardian.

The documents indicate that under the program, launched in 2001, a federal judge sitting on the secret surveillance panel called the Fisa court would approve a bulk collection order for internet metadata "every 90 days". A senior administration official confirmed the program, stating that it ended in 2011.

The collection of these records began under the Bush administration's wide-ranging warrantless surveillance program, collectively known by the NSA codename Stellar Wind.

According to a top-secret draft report by the NSA's inspector general – published for the first time today by the Guardian – the agency began "collection of bulk internet metadata" involving "communications with at least one communicant outside the United States or for which no communicant was known to be a citizen of the United States".

Eventually, the NSA gained authority to "analyze communications metadata associated with United States persons and persons believed to be in the United States", according to a 2007 Justice Department memo, which is marked secret.

The Guardian revealed earlier this month that the NSA was collecting the call records of millions of US Verizon customers under a Fisa court order that, it later emerged, is renewed every 90 days. Similar orders are in place for other phone carriers.

The internet metadata of the sort NSA collected for at least a decade details the accounts to which Americans sent emails and from which they received emails. It also details the internet protocol addresses (IP) used by people inside the United States when sending emails – information which can reflect their physical location. It did not include the content of emails.

"The internet metadata collection program authorized by the Fisa court was discontinued in 2011 for operational and resource reasons and has not been restarted," Shawn Turner, the Obama administration's director of communications for National Intelligence, said in a statement to the Guardian.

"The program was discontinued by the executive branch as the result of an interagency review," Turner continued. He would not elaborate further.

But while that specific program has ended, additional secret NSA documents seen by the Guardian show that some collection of Americans' online records continues today. In December 2012, for example, the NSA launched one new program allowing it to analyze communications with one end inside the US, leading to a doubling of the amount of data passing through its filters.

by Anonymousreply 6905/29/2014

*Yawn*

by Anonymousreply 406/27/2013

....permits the NSA...that's rich!

Like Obama had a choice. You have to understand how insanely powerful this organization is.

by Anonymousreply 506/27/2013

Test

by Anonymousreply 606/29/2013

They'll probably get Congress to impeach Obama because they don't want to get investigated themselves.

by Anonymousreply 806/29/2013

R8-

If they impeach Obama. I hope they do the same for the entire congress.

They are all complicit.

The best would be to haul all of them- Bush1, Clinton, Bush2, & Obama, and their cabinet members, and every member of congress since 1991- before a war crimes tribunal and make them explain their attacks with DU (depleted uranium, a toxic heavy metal used in their guns) and why the children born with defects and the people dying of cancer should suffer while they live in mansions.

They are all evil.

by Anonymousreply 906/30/2013

Dataloungers were among the targets of this program, that you can be sure.

by Anonymousreply 1006/30/2013

R12, it's time someone had the courage to just stand up and abolish the thing.

by Anonymousreply 1306/30/2013

LMAO...now that Glenn Greenwald's reputation is in the shitter, he has to rely on the unimpeachable Spencer Ackerman (who I hope doesn't suffer the same fate).

by Anonymousreply 1406/30/2013

R12 is delusional and R14 is following in his path.

by Anonymousreply 1606/30/2013

I am curious as to whether we should consider that this may have been going on for plenty longer than "two years"; not just "under Obama"; but also under the previous commander in chief.

by Anonymousreply 1806/30/2013

[italic]Are you denying that the CIA killed Kennedy? Or that Bush1 was CIA director?

These things are facts[/italic]

It's not a fact that the CIA killed Kennedy, you douche bag!

by Anonymousreply 1906/30/2013

R18, did you miss the bullet point "Secret program launched by Bush continued 'until 2011'"?

by Anonymousreply 2006/30/2013

Obamas parents in the CIA, that's rich.

by Anonymousreply 2106/30/2013

R21-

The Ford foundation that employed Dunham is a CIA front-

----

The CIA uses philanthropic foundations as the most effective conduit to channel large sums of money to Agency projects without alerting the recipients to their source. From the early 1950s to the present the CIA's intrusion into the foundation field was and is huge. A U.S. Congressional investigation in 1976 revealed that nearly 50% of the 700 grants in the field of international activities by the principal foundations were funded by the CIA (Who Paid the Piper? The CIA and the Cultural Cold War, Frances Stonor Saunders, Granta Books, 1999, pp. 134-135). The CIA considers foundations such as Ford "The best and most plausible kind of funding cover" (Ibid, p. 135). The collaboration of respectable and prestigious foundations, according to one former CIA operative, allowed the Agency to fund "a seemingly limitless range of covert action programs affecting youth groups, labor unions, universities, publishing houses and other private institutions" (p. 135). The latter included "human rights" groups beginning in the 1950s to the present. One of the most important "private foundations" collaborating with the CIA over a significant span of time in major projects in the cultural Cold War is the Ford Foundation.

This essay will demonstrate that the Ford Foundation-CIA connection was a deliberate, conscious joint effort to strengthen U.S. imperial cultural hegemony and to undermine left-wing political and cultural influence. We will proceed by examining the historical links between the Ford Foundation and the CIA during the Cold War, by examining the Presidents of the Foundation, their joint projects and goals as well as their common efforts in various cultural areas.

by Anonymousreply 2206/30/2013

President Obama – as well as his mother, father, step-father and grandmother – all were connected to the Central Intelligence Agency – possibly explaining why the President praises the “Agency” and declines to prosecute its officials for their crimes.

According to a published report in the September Rock Creek Free Press of Washington, D.C., investigative reporter Wayne Madsen says Obama’s mother Ann Dunham worked “on behalf of a number of CIA front operations, including the East-West Center at the University of Hawaii, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), and the Ford Foundation.” The East-West Center had long been affiliated with CIA activities in the Asia-Pacific region, Madsen says.

What’s more, Obama’s father, Barack Obama Sr., arrived in Hawaii from Kenya as part of a CIA program to identify and train Africans who would be useful to the Agency in its Cold War operations against the Soviets, Madsen says. Obama Sr. divorced Ms. Dunham in 1964.

Ms. Dunham married Lolo Soetoro the following year, a man Madsen says assisted in the violent CIA coup against Indonesian President Sukarno that claimed a million lives. Obama’s mother taught English for USAID, “which was a major cover for CIA activities in Indonesia and throughout Southeast Asia,” Madsen reports. That USAID was a cover for CIA covert operations in Laos was admitted by its administrator Dr. John Hannah on Metromedia News. Madsen says the organization was also a cover for the CIA in Indonesia.

Ms. Dunham worked in Indonesia at a time when Midwest Universities Consortium for International Activities(MUCIA) – a group that included the University of Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Minnesota and Indiana – was accused of being a front for CIA activities in Indonesia and elsewhere. Ms. Dunham traveled to Ghana, Nepal, Bangladesh, India and Thailand “working on micro-financing projects” for the CIA, Madsen reports.

And Ms. Dunham’s mother, Madelyn Dunham – who raised Obama while his mother was on assignment in Indonesia – acted as vice president of the Bank of Hawaii in Honolulu, which Madsen says was used by various CIA front entities. She handled escrow accounts used to make CIA payments “to U.S.-supported Asian dictators” including Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos, South Vietnamese President Nguyen van Thieu, and President Suharto in Indonesia, Madsen says.

“In effect, the bank was engaged in money laundering for the CIA to prop up covertly its favored leaders in the Asia-Pacific region,” Madsen writes. “It is clear that Dunham Soetoro and her Indonesian husband, President Obama’s step-father, were closely involved in the CIA’s operations to steer Indonesia away from the Sino-Soviet orbit after the overthrow of Sukarno.”

“President Obama’s own work in 1983 for Business International Corporation, a CIA front that conducted seminars with the world’s most powerful leaders and used journalists as agents abroad, dovetails with CIA espionage activities conducted by his mother,” Madsen says. “There are volumes of written material on the CIA backgrounds of George H.W. Bush and CIA-related activities by his father and children, including former President George W. Bush. Barack Obama, on the other hand, cleverly masked his own CIA connections as well as those of his mother, father, step-father, and grandmother,” Madsen points out.

by Anonymousreply 2307/01/2013

A review of the influence on the Oval Office by the CIA, particularly since the presidency of Bush Sr., a former director of the Agency, it becomes apparent the Agency has played a major role in the shaping of U.S. foreign policy – a role that has been largely kept secret from the American public and one which most Americans would not have approved. The CIA’s overthrow of the democratic government of Iran in 1953 is an example. The overthrow occurred after the Iranian government nationalized the oil industry following alleged cheating on payments by contractor British Petroleum, then known as Anglo-Iranian Oil Co. For another, the CIA’s widespread use of illegal rendition and torture of suspects is repugnant to Americans who still believe in their Constitution.

by Anonymousreply 2407/01/2013

R21

FACTS-

Bush#1 and his family were close to the Hinkley family.

John Hinckley Jr., who shot Ronald Reagan in 1981, is about to be partially released from confinement after testimony from government psychiatrists. Hinckley's family and the family of President George W. Bush have long, complicated ties that have been little reported. Hinckley's brother was scheduled to have dinner at the home of the current President Bush's brother the day after the assassination attempt.

Nov. 26, 2003 - John Hinckley Jr., who has been hospitalized since shooting President Ronald Reagan in 1981, might receive permission any day from a federal judge to make unsupervised visits to his parents' home. Hinckley's family and the family of President George W. Bush have long social, political, and economic ties that have been little reported. Hinckley's brother was scheduled to have dinner at the home of the current President Bush's brother the day after the assassination attempt.

U.S. District Judge Paul Friedman recently said he would let John W. Hinckley, Jr., make the visits with certain restrictions, but he first wanted to hear testimony officials at St. Elizabeths Hospital, where Hinckley is being treated. Today that condition was met when Paul Montalbano of St. Elizabeths testified that Hinckley is ready for visits under conditions recommended by government experts.

by Anonymousreply 2507/01/2013

From Wiki----

In 1976, Ford brought Bush back to Washington to become Director of Central Intelligence, replacing William Colby.[27] He served in this role for 357 days, from January 30, 1976 to January 20, 1977.[28] The CIA had been rocked by a series of revelations, including those based on investigations by the Church Committee regarding illegal and unauthorized activities by the CIA, and Bush was credited with helping to restore the agency's morale.[29] In his capacity as DCI, Bush gave national security briefings to Jimmy Carter both as a Presidential candidate and as President-elect, and discussed the possibility of remaining in that position in a Carter administration,[30] but did not do so. He was succeeded by Deputy Director of Central Intelligence E. Henry Knoche, who served as acting Director of Central Intelligence until Stansfield Turner was confirmed.[31]

Bush#1 was not only director of the CIA, but a POWERFUL member.

by Anonymousreply 2607/01/2013

r12's posts are emblematic of the death of critical thinking in America.

by Anonymousreply 2707/01/2013

Orwell was just 30 years off schedule.

by Anonymousreply 2807/01/2013

R27-

So believing bullshit that you are force-fed in government schools is critical thinking?

A cursory examination of US military history- the Lusitania, Pearl Harbor, My Lai(r)- proves the duplicity and evil nature of our government and only an idiot believes the "official government narrative".

by Anonymousreply 2907/01/2013

Anyone who defends the Bush administration's illegal surveillance is a traitor!

Oh, wait, it's Obama...scratch that.

Obama rulz!!!

by Anonymousreply 3007/02/2013

[quote]Obama's dad was CIA, his mom was CIA, and his stepdad was CIA. Bush1 was CIA director. Both Clinton's worked for the CIA. Do you see a pattern?

Yeah, we see that you're a paranoid loon with no connection to reality.

[quote]So believing bullshit that you are force-fed in government schools is critical thinking?

And unquestioningly swallowing unsupported bullshit that you are fed on lewrockwell.com is better how, exactly?

Tell us again how you "proved" that the Bank of Hawaii is a CIA front organization by the number of Google links that are available when you query Bank of Hawaii and CIA together!

by Anonymousreply 3107/03/2013

R31-

Are you really that naive? Or stupid?

You really think it is a coincidence that Obama's mom, dad, stepdad AND grandmother worked for CIA front companies?

You are delusional.

by Anonymousreply 3207/09/2013

[quote]Are you really that naive? Or stupid?

Oh, the irony....

[quote]You really think it is a coincidence that Obama's mom, dad, stepdad AND grandmother worked for CIA front companies?

You do realize that this statement is not, in fact, true, at least out here in the real world, right? And even if it were true, the connection between that and Obama as President simply doesn't exist. Do you actually listen to yourself? And realize just what chain of circumstances would be required?

[quote]You are delusional.

Wow... talk about projection...

by Anonymousreply 3307/10/2013

Thank you, R33, you took the words right out of my keyboard (several times).

Sometimes I feel a bit sorry for this kid. I mean, it's obvious that she's completely uneducated and shockingly gullible. It's really sort of awful.

Unfortunately, she's such an arrogant, miserable, vicious, bloviating little cunt that it's difficult to feel sorry for her for very long. I always end up feeling sorry for us that she has infested our lovely Datalounge with her batshit crazy ranting. She goes on and on and on, all over the threads. A medication issue, obviously, but it's still quite off-putting.

What I don't understand is what she's doing here in the first place. She's not gay. This is no place for her lunacy. I'm sure there are other sites on the web that are better suited to her particular brand of crazy. It's not as if she's ever comes out with anything original. I wonder if they've run her off of all of the conspiracy rant sites/blogs/whatevers and she's ended up with nowhere else to go but the DL? Poor thing, of course, but poor us - especially poor us.

by Anonymousreply 3407/10/2013

And yet none of you care to address the CIA-Bush-Obama connection.

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 3507/10/2013

Well, that's mostly because there isn't one, R35, which is why you can't actually find any evidence to support such a connection, anymore than you can find any evidence that "Obama's mom, dad, stepdad AND grandmother worked for CIA front companies."

by Anonymousreply 3607/10/2013

R36-

I wish you had taken the Red Pill. Then you wouldn't be such a retarded cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3707/11/2013

It is bizarre how few people seem to question the rocket ride to power Obama took for no discernible reason. In the year 2004 he was a virtual unknown on the national stage. But in 2008 he became President without having served even one full term in the Senate.

He'd HAVE to be extremely well-connected behind the scenes for something like that to happen. The real world is not a Frank Capra movie. The Powers That Be don't turn over the keys to the White House to some Charley Nobody just because he has charisma.

by Anonymousreply 3807/11/2013

[quote]I wish you had taken the Red Pill. Then you wouldn't be such a retarded cunt.

LOL... I do so love how you resort to childish insults when you can't defend your loony paranoid delusions.

by Anonymousreply 3907/11/2013

Why aren't Democrats calling for Obama to be impeached and tried for treason?

If he was a Rethuglican this board would call for his head on a pike.

At least REAL LIBERALS are sick of his shit, unlike most people here.

by Anonymousreply 4007/16/2013

R39

I love your posts.

I just figured it out - they are some kind of performance art(?) based on the old "I know you are but what am I" children's schoolyard taunts.

Bravo.

Now that I know you are kidding, and really just do it to prove my points...well, bravo. You had me going.

I'm glad you get it, and understand the serious dangers posed by the Federal Reserve and exponential government debt, but please let the rest of the posters know you're just kidding. It would really help.

by Anonymousreply 4107/16/2013

R41, stupidly spamming replies to multiple threads is what gets your threads deleted or locked. You never learn, do you?

Oh, and I wrote: "I do so love how you resort to childish insults when you can't defend your loony paranoid delusions."

Q.E.D.

by Anonymousreply 4207/17/2013

Carol knows exactly when she ate the corn.

by Anonymousreply 4307/17/2013

I tried to warn people O was a stealth Repug. He's done nothing but carry out their wishes since "elected".

by Anonymousreply 4407/17/2013

R44-

Obama is the messiah. The fact that he has amplified the Bush era atrocities is just how he is fixing the country.

by Anonymousreply 4507/17/2013

"America does not have a functioning democracy at this point in time," former President Jimmy Carter (shown) said this week, according to a report in the German newspaper Der Spiegel. Carter was quoted as having made that remark at a closed-door meeting of Atlantic Bridge, a research and education organization supporting cooperation between the United States and Great Britain on political, economic, and defense issues. The former president reportedly said the National Security Agency's invasion of privacy has gone too far, as he defended that actions of Edward Snowden, the American now seeking asylum in Russia after leaking classified documents revealing the massive NSA interception of communications between citizens and among government officials worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 4607/22/2013

The NSA is a "supercomputing powerhouse" with machines so powerful their speed is measured in thousands of trillions of operations per second. The agency turns its giant machine brains to the task of sifting through unimaginably large troves of data its surveillance programs capture.

But ask the NSA, as part of a freedom of information request, to do a seemingly simple search of its own employees' email? The agency says it doesn’t have the technology.

"There's no central method to search an email at this time with the way our records are set up, unfortunately," NSA Freedom of Information Act officer Cindy Blacker told me last week.

The system is “a little antiquated and archaic," she added.

I filed a request last week for emails between NSA employees and employees of the National Geographic Channel over a specific time period. The TV station had aired a friendly documentary on the NSA and I want to better understand the agency's public-relations efforts.

A few days after filing the request, Blacker called, asking me to narrow my request since the FOIA office can search emails only “person by person," rather than in bulk. The NSA has more than 30,000 employees.

I reached out to the NSA press office seeking more information but got no response.

It’s actually common for large corporations to do bulk searches of their employees email as part of internal investigations or legal discovery.

“It’s just baffling,” says Mark Caramanica of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press. “This is an agency that’s charged with monitoring millions of communications globally and they can’t even track their own internal communications in response to a FOIA request.”

Federal agencies’ public records offices are often underfunded, according to Lucy Dalglish, dean of the journalism school at University of Maryland and a longtime observer of FOIA issues.

But, Daglish says, “If anybody is going to have the money to engage in evaluation of digital information, it’s the NSA for heaven’s sake.”

by Anonymousreply 4707/24/2013

Spam

Spam

spam

spam

Libertarian Idiot

spam

spam

spam

spam...

by Anonymousreply 4807/24/2013

R48

ProPublica is a liberal site.

Try again.

by Anonymousreply 4907/24/2013

Yes, ProPublica are liberals, and you are an spamming idiot.

Try again yourself.

by Anonymousreply 5007/24/2013

R50-

Please make some sense.

by Anonymousreply 5107/24/2013

I'm sorry, What part of "you're an idiot" wasn't clear?

by Anonymousreply 5207/24/2013

R48/50/52 etc

Please explain how posting an article from a liberal site is "spam".

Are you scared people might begin to see through your bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 5307/24/2013

[quote]Are you scared people might begin to see through your bullshit?

ROFL.... Oh, yes, we're simply terrified.

by Anonymousreply 5407/24/2013

Isn't it obvious our government is out of control?

by Anonymousreply 5507/28/2013

Posting drunk again, I see.

by Anonymousreply 5607/28/2013

Posting stupid again, I see.

by Anonymousreply 5707/28/2013

Waitress: Morning!

Man: Well, what've you got?

Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;

Vikings: Spam spam spam spam...

Waitress: ...spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam...

Vikings: Spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!

Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

Wife: Have you got anything without spam?

Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.

Wife: I don't want ANY spam!

Man: Why can't she have egg bacon spam and sausage?

Wife: THAT'S got spam in it!

Man: Hasn't got as much spam in it as spam egg sausage and spam, has it?

Vikings: Spam spam spam spam... (Crescendo through next few lines...)

Wife: Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then?

Waitress: Urgghh!

Wife: What do you mean 'Urgghh'? I don't like spam!

Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up!

Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.

Wife: I don't like spam!

Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Vikings: Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up!! Baked beans are off.

Man: Well could I have her spam instead of the baked beans then?

Waitress: You mean spam spam spam spam spam spam... (but it is too late and the Vikings drown her words)

Vikings: (Singing elaborately...) Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!

by Anonymousreply 5807/28/2013

R58-

Seek help.

Things you disagree with aren't spam.

by Anonymousreply 5907/28/2013

Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;

Waitress: ...spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam...

Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.

Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.

Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Waitress: You mean spam spam spam spam spam spam... (but it is too late and the Vikings drown her words)

Vikings: (Singing elaborately...) Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!

by Anonymousreply 6007/28/2013

R60

Spamming threads like this only shows you need psychological help.

But, as long as you keep bumping things people need to read...keep bumping!

by Anonymousreply 6107/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 6207/28/2013

[quote]Posting stupid again, I see.

To give credit where it's due, that's the first genuinely clever insult you've tossed out on these threads.

by Anonymousreply 6307/29/2013

R63-

You wouldn't know clever if it fucked you raw with a rusty pipe.

by Anonymousreply 6407/29/2013

Guardian newspaper journalist Glenn Greenwald appeared on ABC News "This Week" program yesterday to preview a story he will be publishing this week on just how widespread is the NSA spying on Americans. His revelations may shock you.

by Anonymousreply 6507/30/2013

[quote]You wouldn't know clever if it fucked you raw with a rusty pipe.

Love you too, snookums.

Oh, and spamming your threads again is a great way to get them deleted. You never learn....

by Anonymousreply 6607/30/2013

How can anyone support this evil tool after these revelations?

Obama is just Bush with a darker complexion.

by Anonymousreply 6805/29/2014

When they release the names of everyone they've targeted I hope the pro-government morons are implicated. Maybe then they will stop defending the government.

by Anonymousreply 6905/29/2014
Need more help? Click Here.