Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm sick of Conservatives invoking our "Founding Fathers" to illustrate their points of hatred.

Today I was at Independence Hall (my job puts me in that area pretty much every day), and although I see it and the Liberty Bell all the time, yesterday's historic decision and Chick-Fil-A's Dan Cathy's offensive tweet got me to thinking about those men in those hot summer days of 1776 and 1787.

I'm frustrated when people who know nothing about American history use those men to defend their bigotry. The very idea of what happened in those days in Philadelphia before and after the Revolution completely contradict their opinions. I doubt any idiot conservative can name ten Founding Fathers.

They also don't seem to understand that our Founding Fathers were pupils of the Age of Enlightenment. Even though some of our most Enlightened Founding Fathers were slave owners. It's a horrible contradiction in terms.

Also, our Founding Fathers were fighting against a government that took direct orders from the church. Although religion was a protocol of daily life in 18th century America, our Founding Fathers were mostly deists who had a different definition of religion in their new country. It's no coincidence that the Bill of Rights was ratified in a city that was founded on the principles of religious tolerance in America. William Penn, the founder of the state and city that gave birth to America, was persecuted by the Church of England for being a Quaker. The very idea of a "Christian Nation," as conservatives profess our country should be, would make William Penn and Benjamin Franklin less than thrilled.

If Benjamin Franklin were alive today, he'd probably find the concept of gay marriage fascinating and would no doubt be extremely gay friendly. Considering he sired a son from an unknown woman of a whorehouse, he'd have no room to judge. John Adams in particular abhorred slavery and would most likely NOT be anti-gay.

If any Conservative bigots who consider themselves Patriots actually visited these historic sights and learned the truth about our Founding Fathers, they'd be devastated to realize how wrong they are.

I think our Founding Fathers are better than any organized religion. They were flawed, but they were visionaries and thinkers. Two words that I would not apply to today's flag-waving, tea-partying neocons.

by Anonymousreply 1206/28/2013

They wouldn't be devastated. They don't really believe the false history they are selling. They are like the atheists who run the vatican and Salt Lake City. It's all about the organization's ability to loot, plunder, and bully.

by Anonymousreply 106/28/2013

George Washington grew hemp! He would be appalled to learn that private moneyed interests keep it illegal in the the USA.

by Anonymousreply 206/28/2013

They always invoke the perfect founding fathers. The freaking founding fathers wouldn't let women vote, and owned slaves. So when they invoke the founding fathers it means NOTHING to me.

by Anonymousreply 306/28/2013

We desperately want to hire Maury Povich to help us prove to you all that none of these blowhards and gasbags are related to any of us.

by Anonymousreply 406/28/2013

I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress.

by Anonymousreply 506/28/2013

The Founders were despicable. Why would anyone tout them? Slavery? Misogyny? Really? Yeah, these guys were wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 606/28/2013

The founding fathers had a glory-hole.

by Anonymousreply 706/28/2013

Flipping around last Sunday morning I came across a black preacher singing the praises of the Founding Fathers, holy Christian men INSPIRED and LED by the Holy Spirit.....

Made me sick. They indeed did great things and managed to set the great American democracy in motion.

I wanted to tell him: They had time to do it because they used YOUR ancestors as PROPERTY and SLAVE LABOR and enshrined it in the very document you are praising.

(Yes I know that there were abolitionists among them, but slavery lasted nearly a century after these holy men did their work).

by Anonymousreply 806/28/2013

Wouldn't you just hate to have to wear those clothes of their day. How were they cleaned? There wasn't dry cleaning or anything Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 906/28/2013

The "Founding Fathers" were the progressives of their time. Not so much by today's standards, really, but come on... they'd HATE the TeaParty today, and the TeaParty would hate THEM. They were effete, incredibly well educated, multi-lingual in many cases, wig-wearing fops. They stood against the conservatives of their time (who were loyal to the crown).

by Anonymousreply 1006/28/2013

By definition and according to the standards of their time, the founding fathers were liberals. Conservative, who uphold the status quo and fear change, supported the King.

by Anonymousreply 1106/28/2013

The founding fathers had their human failings (slavery, thoughts on women), but they were highly evolved and liberal for the period. Most of the idiots who spout the founding father meme are morons who barely finished high school.

by Anonymousreply 1206/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.