Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Six States Already Moving Forward With Voting Restrictions After Supreme Court Decision

Less than 48 hours after the Supreme Court struck down Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, six of the nine states that had been covered in their entirety under the law’s “preclearance” formula have already taken steps toward restricting voting.

In a 5-4 decision, the Court’s five conservative justices ruled Tuesday that the formula, which required states with a history of racial discrimination to “preclear” changes to their voting laws with the Department of Justice or a federal judge before enforcing them, was unconstitutional. Since then, these six states have already started moving on restrictions, many of which have adverse effects on the abilities of minorities, young people, and the poor to exercise their right to vote:

Texas: The Lone Star State saw its strict voter ID law and redistricting plan blocked by the DOJ and federal courts last year. Just two hours after Tuesday’s decision came down, the state’s attorney general issued a statement suggesting both laws may go into effect immediately. On Wednesday, Gov. Rick Perry (R) signed slightly modified congressional maps into law, apparently deciding not to veto them and reinstate the more blatantly discriminatory maps blocked by the court. These new maps will not be screened by the DOJ. And Thursday morning, the U.S. Supreme Court vacated two federal court decisions that had relied upon the VRA in blocking the voter ID law and redistricting plan.

Mississippi: The state legislature approved a voter ID scheme in 2012, but it has not received DOJ clearance. Despite the restrictions, Mississippi’s secretary of state said Tuesday they would proceed with implementing the voter ID law and that “We’re not the same old Mississippi that our fathers’ fathers were.“

Alabama: In 2011, the state passed a law requiring photo ID to vote, but never cleared it with the DOJ. Both the attorney general and the secretary of state said Tuesday they believed their plans could now be implemented in time for the 2014 elections.

Arkansas: In April, the Arkansas legislature overrode Democratic Gov. Mike Beebe’s veto to pass their voter ID legislation. With preclearance out of the way, the state law can now be implemented without DOJ review.

South Carolina: The Palmetto State passed a similar voter ID law in 2012, but DOJ at least succeeded in delaying its implementation. South Carolina’s attorney general issued a statement following the decision, lauding the Court for allowing the preclearance states to “to implement reasonable election reforms, such as voter ID laws similar to South Carolina’s.”

Virginia: Unlike several of the other states, Virginia’s voter ID plan was not scheduled to be implemented until July 2014 anyway. But unless Congress replaces the preclearance formula before then, Virginia will also likely be able to move forward with its plan.

These moves mean that of the nine preclearance states, only Alaska, Arizona (which just had its own voter ID law struck down), and Georgia (whose own voted ID law was likely ruled unconstitutional in the same decision) have not moved to restrict the right to vote in less than two days since the ruling. The Court’s majority held that the formula for determining which states are subject to federal oversight is outdated, leaving the law without any jurisdictions requiring preclearance. If these states are any evidence, they may have just opened the door for massive disenfranchisement.

by Anonymousreply 8307/02/2013

But there is a damn thing wrong with people having to pay for their ID.

by Anonymousreply 206/27/2013

[quote] There's not a damn thing wrong with requiring voters to show ID.

Never before in the history of this country have voters had to show ID to register to vote or to vote.

Why should they have to do it now, asshole?

Oh wait, because you and your ilk want to keep those who you consider "undesirables" from voting.

by Anonymousreply 306/27/2013

I felt the same way as R1, but then my Mom who doesn't drive, had to get an ID and it was a pain in the ass. Eventually she get got it, but it wasn't easy peasy. So I can see where some people might say fuck it and not get one and not be able to vote.

But you know what, repubs put all those voting restrictions in place and Obama still won. So people will find a way to vote, if the candidate can engage them.

by Anonymousreply 406/27/2013

[quote]We’re not the same old Mississippi that our fathers’ fathers were.“

Black people are welcome to vote Republican.

by Anonymousreply 506/27/2013

Voter ID laws are a solution in search of a problem.

I'd like to see just one example where voter fraud that would have been prevented by Voter ID changed the outcome of an election.

It is ironic that so many folks who support voter ID laws oppose big government.

I would say a program that costs money and has no purpose is an example of overreach on the part of government.

by Anonymousreply 606/27/2013

MARY

by Anonymousreply 706/27/2013

Some states are offering free IDs but the documentation needed to obtain those IDs is neither free or easy to obtain. These voter ID laws are simply modern day poll taxes for the elderly, the poor and minorities.

by Anonymousreply 806/27/2013

Can't a passport be used?

by Anonymousreply 906/27/2013

Don't be naive, people.

Republicans want to suppress minority turnout for Democrats. That's what these laws are about. Instead of changing their policy positions to earn a broader base of support they want to suppress voting for the other side.

These laws have nothing to do with voter fraud, which rarely happens anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1006/27/2013

Please, OP/Rachel Maddow, one has to show ID to buy cough and flu medicine.

would you prefer a finger stuck in purple ink?

by Anonymousreply 1106/27/2013

[quote]Voter ID laws are a solution in search of a problem.

They are a tactic disguised as a solution to a problem that does not exist.

by Anonymousreply 1206/27/2013

There's no justification for making voting MORE difficult, not if you really believe in democracy. The GOP don't believe in democracy.

by Anonymousreply 1306/27/2013

The timing of these moves tells you everything you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 1406/27/2013

r9, are you stupid? Most people in this country don't have passports.

I'm sure spending whatever it costs to get a passport is something somebody on welfare or living paycheck to paycheck is going to run out and do.

by Anonymousreply 1506/27/2013

Question: Are they going to check EVERYONE'S ID, or are they going to just pick and choose? Because if they're going to pick and choose, then that's obvious discrimination. But if they're going to check everyone's, then I don't see what the big deal is.

Isn't it a good idea to have an ID on you at all times anyway in case of an emergency?

by Anonymousreply 1606/27/2013

The big deal is that college students will not have acceptable IDs (because the statutes don't accept School IDs) so the youth vote is reduced and poor people who don't own cars don't have driver's licenses or any other acceptable form of voter ID.

To get a photo ID, a person typically has to take time off from work and travel to a DMV office where they pay for the ID. All of this works as a poll tax, discouraging poor people from voting.

Don't be an idiot. There is a reason why Republican legislatures are pushing for these laws and it isn't the integrity of the vote.

Black people traditionally vote as a social outing after church so Republicans decide to eliminate Sunday voting.

Minorities tend to vote early (because the lines are ridiculously long in their districts) so Republicans eliminate early voting. The Clerk in Wisconsin tried to limit early voting ONLY in minority districts. the courts stopped him

The Republicans eliminate vote by mail which also leans Democratic but make an exception for military personnel who tend to vote Republican.

It's all part of an obvious strategy that the Voting Rights Act would stop which is why so many of these plans are moving forward immediately after the Act was struck down (by 5 Republican Justices).

by Anonymousreply 1706/27/2013

Do some of you get that the rest of the world looks on in appalled amazement at tv coverage of US elections, where the poor, the black and the otherwise disenfranchised have to stand for hours in line to vote: on a day which is not a national holiday, so those with jobs risk losing them, or waste a valuable day of family time, to register a vote ? That the old and infirm have to risk their health to perform a civic duty ?

Do some of you understand that this burden is imposed by the rich, the white, the Republican, to deny the poor, black and disadvantaged ? That for the elite, democracy is too good for those who might oppose them ?

That these same disadvantaged groups have no passports, no cars, no driving licences, and as such, are the groups denied the ID that would in future entitle them to vote ?

That the truth is, Tea Partiers and Republicans would undermine and dishonour the Constitution they so often speak of, if it gave them permanent power ? And that the challenge for anyone who believes in democracy - even if not a Democrat - over the next two years should be to guarantee to every citizen the right to vote. That otherwise, you support the overthrow of a proud tadition, because of the fake notion of electoral fraud by those who would vote ?

The right of all Americans is to vote without unfair impediment, in a timely fashion, at a convenient location. To deny that, is to tell the lie about the future of democracy in a Republican America.

by Anonymousreply 1806/27/2013

R17 and R18 have it absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 1906/27/2013

Forget about being a Dem or Rep, you're automatically a moron if your question is "What's the big deal?" Seriously. You're an absolute simpleton for not comprehending why it IS a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 2006/27/2013

R20 Well, then I guess I'm a simpleton because I don't understand the big deal.

If you don't have a drivers license, then a general ID card in my state costs $20 and last 5 years. Even if you're poor that's not that much.

by Anonymousreply 2106/27/2013

Not from the US, and the idea that most of the population doesn't have a passport is ridiculous. They're not expensive at all and everywhere takes it as valid ID.

by Anonymousreply 2206/27/2013

R21, you also need to consider the costs of acquiring a birth certificate, not to mention all of the time and hassles to obtain it. Then there is the time and expense of setting aside part of a day if not a full day to head to the DMV or government facility to obtain the ID. How easy or inexpensive do you think that is for an 80 year old in a nursing home or an unemploye and disabled American or a single parent working a minimum wage job while raising a kid or two?

Instead of looking at the world from your rosy viewpoint, try to imagine it for someone who truly struggles to get by and live every day.

The lack of sympathy and empathy around here is astonishing.

by Anonymousreply 2306/27/2013

Precious, get yo ass down to the welfare!

by Anonymousreply 2406/27/2013

[quote] Not from the US, and the idea that most of the population doesn't have a passport is ridiculous. They're not expensive at all and everywhere takes it as valid ID.

the cost of a Passport in the US is $165.00 for a new one. Add into that the cost to get a replacement copy of your birth certificate if you do not have it in your possession, and transportation to get to the nearest post office or passport office...

For people on a fixed income (some may only get a little more than that amount a month to live on) that is a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 2506/27/2013

R23 Don't even get me started with that nonsense - I'm living on a VERY limited budget, but even I can scrape up $20 for an ID card that will last 5 years. And everyone should have a copy of their birth certificate - go down to city hall and get a copy for $5 and you can use it for the rest of your life whenever you need to show it.

by Anonymousreply 2706/27/2013

[quote]If you don't have a drivers license, then a general ID card in my state costs $20 and last 5 years. Even if you're poor that's not that much.

Hey, you know what's even faster? The poor people can just go through the internet. How about that?

You have no clue how millions of people are living in this country - none. You think $20 is not much to a poor person or that there's nothing else a person would need but $20 to get their ID.

[quote]Well, then I guess I'm a simpleton because I don't understand the big deal.

At least you're self-aware.

by Anonymousreply 2806/27/2013

R22, a US passport costs $140. For a person making minimum wage, that is almost half a week's pre-tax wages. US passports are not cheap for America's poor, especially when most of them will never leave the country during their lifetimes.

by Anonymousreply 2906/27/2013

Please provide valid links (Faux News doesn't count) proving illegal aliens have been found voting or STFU FReeper asswipe.

by Anonymousreply 3006/27/2013

R21, R25, and as I posted on another thread, for some reason a passport is NOT considered a valid ID in all cases.

For r23, the cost to get a copy of a birth certificate in my state is $23.00 and a valid government issued photo ID is required to get it. Sort of a catch 22 if you need the birth certificate to get the ID.

by Anonymousreply 3106/27/2013

I take a bus to work M - F, and every trip we let off at least 2 black men at the BMV. Black guys are constantly losing their id's.

I'm just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 3206/27/2013

I want to know why you think an ID is necessary.

Why are you falling for the bullshit coming from people who don't even want God damned background checks on people buying GUNS? Look who you're aligning with on this issue.

Why don't you ask them what is more likely to happen: Some lunatic with a gun shooting up a public place or someone who clearly has nothing better to do than to wait in line for hours to vote, then get back in line to try and vote again!

by Anonymousreply 3306/27/2013

[quote] And everyone should have a copy of their birth certificate - go down to city hall and get a copy for $5 and you can use it for the rest of your life whenever you need to show it.

It's not that easy if you live outside of Mayberry, Barney.

In Los Angeles County, for example, the cost of a certified copy of your birth certificate is $23. Birth records from 1964 to the Present can be obtained from the Los Angeles County Dept of Public Health -Vital Records Office in Downtown Los Angeles. Birth records prior to 1964 must be obtained from the County Registrar Recorder's Office in Norwalk, CA.

Additionally, in order to request a birth record in person or via mail, you must provide a NOTARIZED certificate of identity. How do you get that if you don't have a photo ID?

But wait, it gets even MORE convoluted. Were you born in either Pasadena, CA or Long Beach, CA? If so, The Los Angeles County Office of Vital Records does not provide any information on births that occurred in the cities of Pasadena and Long Beach, even though BOTH cities are in Los Angeles County. You either have to go to Pasadena or Long Beach Health Deaprtments - Vital Records Dept.

So no, R27, it isn't just a matter of "going to the courthouse and paying $5" everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 3406/27/2013

Additionally, if for some reason you have to get a copy of your birth certificate from the CA Dept of Public Health (state office in Sacramento, CA), here are the processing times:

Birth Record From 1969 to Present - 4 Weeks*

Birth Record From 1905 to 1968 - 7 Weeks

If you are requesting an authorized copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate, you MUST complete the Sworn Statement included with the application and sign the statement (declaring under penalty of perjury that you are entitled by law to receive an authorized copy). Your Sworn Statement must be notarized. If you request an authorized copy but do not include a notarized Sworn Statement, the request will be rejected as incomplete and returned to you without being processed.

These requests can be processed ONLY by mail and cost $20 per copy.

by Anonymousreply 3506/27/2013

Explain why someone who is very poor would need ID outside of this attempt to take away their right to vote.

Wise the fuck up. When you see the who behind this, you know exactly why they're doing it. There has never -in the history of this country- been rampant voter fraud.

Stop playing stupid on this one.

by Anonymousreply 3606/27/2013

[quote]And everyone should have a copy of their birth certificate - go down to city hall and get a copy for $5 and you can use it for the rest of your life whenever you need to show it.

City hall?! I just ordered a new copy of my birth certificate because the copy I've had my whole life is starting to fall apart. I had to go through my state's department of vital statistics, order through a third-party company ("VitalChek"), and pay more than $20.00. Where do you live that you can get your birth certificate at city hall?

by Anonymousreply 3806/27/2013

[quote]I'm living on a VERY limited budget, but even I can scrape up $20 for an ID card that will last 5 years.

Why does it have an expiration date?

Do you really think the poorest people in your state think in terms of amortizing $20 over five years? It means $20 they won't have for things they truly need, like food.

by Anonymousreply 3906/27/2013

[quote]Why does it have an expiration date?

I've always assumed photo IDs have to be renewed because people's appearance changes as they age. The again, I've seen the option when renewing my state ID to reuse the same photo, so who knows?

by Anonymousreply 4006/27/2013

[quote] As a minority person myself, instead of enabling people to not get ID, I encourage them to do what they can to be the adults that they are, and get their ID, if not just to vote, but to be a fucking productive and easily identifiable citizen.

But do you actually HELP them? By maybe helping someone get around town to get the necessary things required if they have no way to get to to the DMV, or the helping them obtain or fill out the paperwork?

Or do you just stand on your soapbox and lecture them?

I suspect the latter.

by Anonymousreply 4106/27/2013

Sorry to skew your poll R42, but I'm about as lily-white as can be, with my English-Scottish-French-Irish heritage.

by Anonymousreply 4306/27/2013

Look who in the hell is reaching. We don't have voter fraud in this country, R42. We have never had a problem with rampant voter fraud - ever. You can't even explain why this became an issue to begin with, can you? The very definition of reaching is this issue coming up when there was never any problem. We all know why the rightwing did this, so don't attempt to put the onus on anyone other than the right pushing a non-existent problem solely for political gain.

Here's an idea: Make the ID FREE if you're so concerned about voter fraud. Why is there a price at all?

by Anonymousreply 4406/27/2013

Please, I have to show ID when I vote. It's not a problem and should be mandatory.

by Anonymousreply 4506/27/2013

R45 Finally, someone with some sense. This is only an issue for people who are illegals.

by Anonymousreply 4606/27/2013

No R46. It's really only an issue for asshole FReepers such as yourself, and Republicans who fear losing elections.

by Anonymousreply 4706/27/2013

I've never shown an I.D. to vote. I go into the polls and tell them my name. They hand me a paper ballot (I live in one of the states that did away with Diebold electronic voting machines).

I had to apply to the state where I was born for my birth certificate a couple of years ago, so I ordered 10 of them. I hope I never have to go through that again.

R42, I'm half Irish, one-fourth Swiss and one-fourth Swedish. Lily white. Invisible in snow.

by Anonymousreply 4806/27/2013

Please, I don't have to show ID. I give them my my name and vote. No one has ever voted in my place. If you're worried about illegal people voting, well, they're too busy during voting hours picking produce like cucumbers or working on chicken farms all for your chick-fil-a sammiches.

You notice the people who defend this can't point to actual examples of widespread voter fraud? But oh how passionate they are that no one should know a thing about you when buying a gun.

by Anonymousreply 4906/27/2013

R37, I know from personal experience. I lived in NYC for many years and did not have a driver's license. I always used my passport. It was rejected as ID at the post office (yes, I know that is where you get a passport.), by police officers in NYC and LA, as ID when using a credit card, by my own bank, etc. It may be a valid form of ID on paper. But from my experience, government employees in particular have a lot of discretion. If they think a government ID is a plastic card that either is a DL or looks like a DL, you cannot argue with them.

And for those of you who are wondering what I was doing with the police: one time was at Union Square in NYC and I was stopped because there had just been a robbery by a guy in a red hoodie and I was wearing a red duffel coat with a hood. And the other time, I was jaywalking in West Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 5006/27/2013

R13 nails it.

It is priceless that corrupt, racist, sexist, homphobic, and white Republicans believe that suppressing the vote -- against people who are not white -- will win them the presidency.

If you can't win the presidency with 60 percent of whites nationally -- as was the case with Mitt Romney (and much of that is skewed to the states of the Old Confederacy) -- your party is the problem.

Watch them rascally, racist, white Republicans -- with their trash based in the south -- continue to spin itself deeper into their hole. They can only bend over for, get DP'd by, and suck off so much Charles and David Koch.

by Anonymousreply 5106/27/2013

Bitch PLEASE!

Stop inventing voter drama.

You can't even cash a check or fly on a plane these days without photo ID.

Calm the fuck down already.

by Anonymousreply 5206/27/2013

Some people think Paula Deen is a monster...the real monster is The Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 5306/27/2013

Um, I'm white and I've already run into the problem and my rich white Republican friend also ran into the problem, she blamed it all on Obama. Of course the real guilty party is Rick Scott, the bald headed, turkey.

by Anonymousreply 5406/27/2013

[quote]You can't even cash a check or fly on a plane these days without photo ID.

Many poor minorities don't have checking accounts or fly in planes.

by Anonymousreply 5506/27/2013

Democrats better get off their ass and turn this thing around. Outreach and education NOW. Don't wait until an election year.

by Anonymousreply 5606/27/2013

Actually, some of the collateral damage is going to be the elderly that vote Republican. Many of them do not have drivers licenses any more or have been using an expired one as ID for years. Of course many of these voter ID laws include a gun permit as an acceptable form of ID. Funny how that works.

by Anonymousreply 5706/27/2013

[quote]Many poor minorities don't have checking accounts or fly in planes.

Yes we keep hearing about the poor minorities, but never about the poor whites, of which there are far more.

Are minorities really that stupid and helpless?

by Anonymousreply 5806/27/2013

[quote] Yes we keep hearing about the poor minorities, but never about the poor whites, of which there are far more.

Poor white people ARE treated the same as poor minorities. You must be new here.

by Anonymousreply 5906/27/2013

My parents live in a fairly large town on the outskirts of Atlanta which happens to have a growing black population. A few years back the DMV office in this town was closed and residents are now expected to go 26 miles further out to the largely white county next door to obtain drivers licenses and state IDs. This is by design.

by Anonymousreply 6006/27/2013

If you're all pissed about it, be pissed at the SC. They're the ones who passed it.

by Anonymousreply 6106/27/2013

"Are minorities really that stupid and helpless?"

And this is exactly my point of argument in presenting the idea that people need to take responsibility for their own lives. It angers me that these 'victim enablers' want to continue to stand on their perch and "help/protect" us poor little ole minority people who just can't function like normal and prosperous smart white people. It pisses me off!

As an actual minority, I say to my fellow minority, stand on your own two feet. Seek assistance if need be, but don't allow perceived obstacles to keep you down or prevent you from doing what you need to do in life. Get fucking identification like a normal functioning adult!

by Anonymousreply 6206/27/2013

Oh and a lot of poor white people don't have bank accounts or ever fly on planes either. Many poor people, no matter what their skin color, also cannot afford decent transportation, and they live in rural areas where there is not reliable or remotely convenient public transportation.

Many poor people live in squalor in big cities, and cannot afford bus passes or other transit fees. And not everyone qualifies for assistance.

by Anonymousreply 6306/27/2013

Where's Acorn when we need them? I would be happy to volunteer for a project that helps people get their i.d. to vote, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It probably entails filling out forms to get their documentation and then taking them to the licensing bureau.

by Anonymousreply 6406/27/2013

Where I live is a bit like R60. It's not as far away as his, but our state motor vehicle department, the county welfare office and social security are nowhere near bus lines. MVD is the worst of the three because it's located on an interstate feeder road.

by Anonymousreply 6506/27/2013

How does the 90 year old grandmother at the home obtain her ID? What about the blind man who lives down the street? How easy is it for him to obtain an ID and why would he need one if he doesn't drive? Or how about your co-worker's paraplegic cousin? How difficult do you think it is for her to obtain an ID?

You perfectly healthy, economically self-sufficient, heartless fucks on here have no understanding of the real issue here. Voting laws should never make it more difficult to vote for our most vulnerable citizens as voting is already a considerable challenge for them. They have the same human worth and right to vote as anyone else. We should make voting as easy as possible for all voters instead of streamlining the process for the vast majority who does not need the assistance.

by Anonymousreply 6606/27/2013

[quote]How does the 90 year old grandmother at the home obtain her ID?

How does she cash her Social Security check now?

[quote]What about the blind man who lives down the street? How easy is it for him to obtain an ID and why would he need one if he doesn't drive?

For ID. To cash checks, use a credit card and buy alcohol

[quote]Or how about your co-worker's paraplegic cousin? How difficult do you think it is for her to obtain an ID?

Your co-worker could help their cousin or whoever is helping that person already.

99.9% of these people ALREADY HAVE ID.

This handwringing is nothing but high drama about "what if..."

by Anonymousreply 6706/27/2013

[quote]How does she cash her Social Security check now?

Honey, SS has been direct deposit for years. As are VA benefits.

by Anonymousreply 6806/27/2013

R66, drama queen much?

In regards to your analogy, a person who has lived on this planet for 90 years (72 of those years as a legal adult), should have some ID. I'm just going to leave it at that because I don't want to cause your nose to bleed.

Wake up!

by Anonymousreply 6906/27/2013

R69, And I am going to repeat, not necessarily. He/she may have had a valid ID, but it has expired. My mother is 89 years old. She has no valid photo ID. She has a Medicare card and a SS card. That is it. Everything else expired 15 years ago or so. SS, pension, and VA benefits are all direct deposit.

by Anonymousreply 7006/27/2013

Fuck! This thread has really brought out the freepers.

by Anonymousreply 7106/27/2013

Just wait till these voting restrictions start affecting old white people trying to vote for Republicans! Oh, the gnashing of teeth!

by Anonymousreply 7206/27/2013

R72, we can only hope for that karma.

by Anonymousreply 7306/27/2013

Because those Southern states listed have ALWAYS been on the right side of American history.

by Anonymousreply 7406/27/2013

Long voter lines are caused by local jurisdictions maintaining precincts that are too big, with more voters than a single precinct can handle. Everyone understands that, right? I lived in a fast growing area that kept its old number of precincts for too long. Back then I had to wait over an hour or two in line to vote. Finally the county Elections Office split the existing precincts into multiple ones that were smaller, and they accordingly added new polling places. Now I wait 5 minutes at most.

People need to demand that their local government provide right sized precincts with sufficient voting machines.

by Anonymousreply 7506/28/2013

MARYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

by Anonymousreply 7606/28/2013

In my state it cost close to $50 dollars for a driver's license. But you need 4 IDs and none can be your driver's license. So you need your birth certificate that you have to pay for. Then if you changed your name because of marriage, you need to get a copy of your marriage certificate, which you have to pay for and in many states (large cities) they can charge up to $50 dollars for that copy. You can use a voting card but then you need one more ID.

Now you may say, none of that is expensive but for poor people, it's very expensive.

And when they shut down voting stations, it becomes very hard for the elderly, who are used to walking to the polling place. We know this has all been done to keep minorities and the poor from voting but the harder they make it, the more we will want to do it.

by Anonymousreply 7706/28/2013

As I said, rich Republicans are blaming Obama and it's hard to get it through their heads, who's to blame.

Are they mad, YES! But they are mad at the wrong people.

by Anonymousreply 7806/28/2013

R21 writes, "If you don't have a drivers license, then a general ID card in my state costs $20 and last 5 years. Even if you're poor that's not that much."

So, you're saying that voting in elections [italic]should[/italic] require people to pay a fee?

by Anonymousreply 7906/28/2013

R27 is the same troll who can't understand why poor people can't just go out and buy fresh vegetables and eat healthy.

It's so cheap, right?

by Anonymousreply 8006/28/2013

Texas has introduced an Election Identification Certificate, free of charge, for those who don't already have a DL/ID/passport etc.

You still have to visit a DMV office in person and bring documentation of your identity.

by Anonymousreply 8106/28/2013

The role is perfect for Lucci. She can use her comedic skills, she is a supporting player so she can get home and spend time with the grandkids and work on her business ventures, and she has a good sparring partner with Judy Reyes and has a sweet chemistry with the daughter. The character has a lot of Erica in her, but there are enough departures so she can feel like she is not completely typecast as Erica.

by Anonymousreply 8207/02/2013

Don't wait to get ID's a week before an election. Do it now. The DNC should get spending money on getting these elderly people and whoever else ID's in states that matter like NC. Who cares about Mississippi and Texas. The Dems will never win there. Then when Hillary becomes president in 2016 and she replaces Ginsburg, Breyer, Scalia and Kennedy, the new liberal court 6-3, can revote all these voting laws back in.

by Anonymousreply 8307/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.