Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is DOMA Dead?

All of the headlines declare "DOMA IS DEAD!!!", but I keep reading also that only part of it is dead. What's the truth?

It doesn't really affect me, just curious. I got a chick knocked up in JanuRy, so I'm supposed to get married to her, so sadly I can't even take advantage of this ):

by Anonymousreply 506/27/2013

No dude would marry your ass anyway, Brandon

by Anonymousreply 106/27/2013

The part of the law that was being enforced, Sec 3, was declared unconstitutional and can no longer be enforced.

I'd be curious to hear from other posters who may have more insight and knowledge than I do, but as I understand it:

the reasoning to knock down sec 3--the law was motivated by animus and violates equal protection--would also apply to the other sections, so if the other sections were ever enforced, it could be easily challenged as unconstitutional. The thing depriving gays of marriage rights in non-marriage states right now is not DOMA but state level marriage bans. DOMA, as far as I understand, the whole thing, is dead and unenforceable.

by Anonymousreply 206/27/2013

OP? It's R2... Reply 2! I'm fine... Fine!... I'm fine!... I have some bad news... DOMA is not with us anymore... I said DOMA has passed away... It's passed away!... DOMA is gone!... DOMA's dead!... It's dead!... No! DEAD!... DEAD!... IT's fine! It sends it's love! Bye!

by Anonymousreply 306/27/2013

Er.... yeah.

and

[quote]It sends it's love

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 406/27/2013

Billary have issued a statement about the thing he signed into law.

by Anonymousreply 506/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.