Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Moving to the Bay Area

What areas should I avoid? I've heard the mayor of Vallejo is a homophobic shitstain, so that's out. What are some nice areas? Any advice from Bay Area Dataloungers?

by Anonymousreply 6807/01/2013

Get a place in SF on the Gold Coast. Preferably, on Broadway between Divisadero and Lyon. The Trainas just moved into th old Belli place. You'll just love it...

by Anonymousreply 106/27/2013

North Bay Area.

by Anonymousreply 206/27/2013

What's your price range?

by Anonymousreply 306/27/2013

What R3. This is useless without knowing your price range.

by Anonymousreply 406/27/2013

I'll be renting an apartment (size does not really matter). Less than $1000 a month would be ideal.

by Anonymousreply 506/27/2013

[quote]I'll be renting an apartment (size does not really matter). Less than $1000 a month would be ideal.

Try Hayward.

by Anonymousreply 606/27/2013

[quote]I'll be renting an apartment (size does not really matter). Less than $1000 a month would be ideal.

[quote]Try Hayward.

Try Stockton.

by Anonymousreply 706/27/2013

Try Modesto.

by Anonymousreply 806/27/2013

Less than $1,000 narrows it does considerably.

You might want to check out wine country (Sonoma and Napa counties). Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Napa all should get you an apartment for under 1k but other parts of wine country are pricey. It's quite beautiful and picturesque and you might get lucky and find a nice "granny unit" for a decent price. The downside to wine country is that it is isolated from the city. You can't just hop on the BART and go to the city. There are busses that go into the city but they're sporadic and only in larger cities (Petaluma, Santa Rosa). You can drive but it's a bitch (and expensive) to find parking in the city.....or you can drive to Marin and take the ferry (also expensive but gorgeous).

Also parts of the east bay like Oakland and Hayward are cheap but they're also kind of ghetto and I assume you want to avoid that.

by Anonymousreply 906/27/2013

does = down

by Anonymousreply 1006/27/2013

Where is the JOB, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1106/27/2013

Oakland has some very nice areas, but you have to know where to look. All those houses on "Curb Appeal" are done in the nicer areas of Oakland.

Albany has nice areas, but it really depends on what you're looking for.

by Anonymousreply 1206/27/2013

Try St Petersburg. But some parts of Tampa are nice.

by Anonymousreply 1306/27/2013

Try Tracy.

by Anonymousreply 1406/27/2013

You could probably sublet a room in East Palo Alto for $1,000

by Anonymousreply 1506/27/2013

If you expect a rainbow carpet to be rolled out in front of you, and have to keep it under 1k, you might not enjoy living in the Bay Area.

by Anonymousreply 1606/27/2013

Less than $1000 a month - Try Nevada.

by Anonymousreply 1706/27/2013

I want to keep it under $1000k. I need 2 bedrooms, a big kitchen with stainless steel appliances, big master bath, nice balcony with views of the GG bridge.

by Anonymousreply 1806/27/2013

[quote}What areas should I avoid?

Anything north of Santa Barbara

by Anonymousreply 1906/27/2013

Get on meds before you move.

by Anonymousreply 2006/27/2013

Your mama kick you out of her basement, OP? No doubt you deserved it.

I can rent you a spacious Dumpster in a back alley in the Castro, but there's no view and it'd still be above your budget.

by Anonymousreply 2106/27/2013

Is this a troll post? 2 bdrm in the Bay Area for under $1k?

by Anonymousreply 2206/27/2013

r9 - no the OP can not live in Petaluma or Santa Rosa for under $1k either! Bwahahahaha.

by Anonymousreply 2306/27/2013

Stockton or Vallejo is probably the only place the OP could live. Linked is Craigslist for Stockton apts.

by Anonymousreply 2406/27/2013

R23, bwahahaha all you want.

I live in Sonoma and pay $825/month for a granny unit with washer/dryer/jacuzzi tub. I live on 5 acres of land with an awesome view of the countryside. I'm very familiar with rentals in the North Bay and yes, OP can rent for under $1,000. It's not like Sonoma/Napa is Marin County.

by Anonymousreply 2506/27/2013

Also, OP. The Russian River area has cheap rentals. It's very Gay friendly. The only problem is there are flood zones during rainy season when the river overflows but it's beautiful.

Here's a link to Craig's List rentals in Sonoma/Napa. As you can see there's lots for under $1,000 so don't listen to the assholes who are telling you they don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 2606/27/2013

LOL @ R17, so true

by Anonymousreply 2706/27/2013

OP, you'll notice none of these places are in "the Bay Area." A friend rents a one-bedroom garden apt. in the Castro for $1200. But he's been there 20 years.

SF is as (if not more) expensive than NYC.

No idea why.

by Anonymousreply 2806/27/2013

The OP didn't say he wanted to move into the city, he said he was moving to the Bay Area. The Bay area is the city, the North Bay (Marin, Sonoma and Napa), East Bay (Berkley/Oakland), Peninsula (Palo Alto, San Mateo) and even the South Bay (San Jose).

What's considered the "SF Bay area" is massive.

by Anonymousreply 2906/27/2013

How DID San Francisco get to be so expensive? It was very affordable for decades then it became as bad as New York. Can anyone give a brief explanation as to why?

by Anonymousreply 3006/27/2013

.com!

by Anonymousreply 3106/27/2013

But the Russian River is rural and the places are all completely old, there's also a hell of a lot of meth freaks in that area, and there's a stink of Deliverance in there too. I've seen people put up a Southern Flag on River Road before.

So the good: gay friendly, true

the bad: meth freaks, heroin users galore, somewhat Deliverance-like.

by Anonymousreply 3206/27/2013

r30 I was reading the NYC thread, where the OP (different I assume) was waxing nostalgic for the old dirty NYC, well the same thing happened to SF. Money came into it, first it was Dianne Feinstein and her husband's RE deals driving up the cost of RE there, then it became the tech boomers place to live.

by Anonymousreply 3306/27/2013

I recall seeing a fare share of meth heads and junkies in San Francisco.

Sonoma/Napa is all very rural. There are miles and miles of rolling hills with not much else in much of Sonoma and Napa. It's beautiful but can get old and can be isolating.

If I could, i'd live in South Marin County....near Sausalito/Tiburon/Belvedere. It's rural but not as bad as Sonoma/Napa and in close proximity to the city. Of course, it's crazy expensive too.

I lived in NY and I would say the worst thing about the Bay Area as it compares to the tristate area is that it doesn't have a decent transit system. Much of the time, you need a car and city parking is outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 3406/27/2013

3 words, R30 -

Trust.

Fund.

Brats.

by Anonymousreply 3506/27/2013

r35 nailed it. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 3606/27/2013

R30, Tech and biotech. There's just gobs of money in SF now. Google, Yahoo, Apple and others run private vans from the city to Silicon Valley for their employees, who are too valuable even to have to drive themselves. SF is dripping with money.

by Anonymousreply 3706/27/2013

[quote]So the good: gay friendly, true. the bad: meth freaks, heroin users galore, somewhat Deliverance-like.

That's the Russian River in a nutshell, though when I was there it wasn't all that gay friendly. There's a restaurant before you cross the bridge to start up the Russian River. I remember going in there with the BF and they refused to serve us. Just let us sit at the table until we left on our own.

by Anonymousreply 3806/27/2013

Yes but r23

[quote]I live in Sonoma and pay $825/month for a granny unit with washer/dryer/jacuzzi tub.

You probably have to get to the main house in order to use the w/d/j, they're not with your unit. And that 5 acres you're bragging about really belong to the main house.

by Anonymousreply 3906/27/2013

Wrong again, R39.

I have a washer and dryer on my side of the house. The 5 acres are part of the property but it's just as much mine as it is the people who occupy the main house (who incidentally are also tenants). We get along great. They're avid gardeners and love to share their harvest with me. My place is small...about 400 square feet but I'm okay with that. It's about the same size as my NYC apartment.

I have a sweet deal here and there are many sweet deals in wine country if you know where to look. Stop trying to invalidate something you clearly know nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 4006/27/2013

I heard that you can't use the escalators inside the bart station because they are stopped up with homeless peoples excrement.

I don't think the OP is really moving to the bay area, but depending on where he might be working if he was moving here, there are some out of the way places like Ben Lomand and Boulder creek...Ben lomand is 12 miles from Santa Cruz and 32 from San Jose...there are also the suburban areas of Campbell, Los Gatos and Saratoga west of San Jose....Los Gatos and Saratoga don't have a TON of rentals but they are very nice and quiet areas....

by Anonymousreply 4106/27/2013

R38...That never happened. R32...The meth problem is going away because many of the low rent welfare units have become vacation rentals. The meth freaks can't afford it and the drug. They die quickly as well. That southern flag on River Road has been gone for 10 years. There are nice rentals around the River for less than $1000.

by Anonymousreply 4206/27/2013

r42 - I only know that I saw that southern flag about 5 years ago, it was on a truck with people in it. I had no idea someone posted it permanently on a house or more likely a mobile home somewhere around there.

As far as the meth freaks, there's a poster here that posted about the meth freaks at Safeway and how disgusting that was, not long go in the Russian River area.

I just think the Russian River area is really trashy. On the way to the park there's these awful homes, and trailer homes. I saw a person stepping out of it and I wanted to PUKE, it was FILTH CITY, not that far from the park and a broken down trailer like you see in the worst parts of poorest parts of the South.

by Anonymousreply 4306/27/2013

Did you see any clotheslines in people's yards, r43?

by Anonymousreply 4406/27/2013

lol did not notice!

by Anonymousreply 4506/27/2013

If you are looking to rent a ROOM, you can most definitely live in a pretty good apartment share in San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 4606/27/2013

[quote]I heard that you can't use the escalators inside the bart station because they are stopped up with homeless peoples excrement.

That's not been my experience. Sometimes the escalators aren't working, and 16th Street can be a bit of a freak show, but I've never run into shit on the escalator.

by Anonymousreply 4706/27/2013

R47 my friends were here for a visit last summer (I live in san jose) and that is what they reported......

by Anonymousreply 4806/27/2013

r47 there's a video around which illustrated the shit on the escalator thing on BART, it went viral recently.

by Anonymousreply 4906/27/2013

Yeah, aight.

I guess it happens. I took the 16th St. BART 3 or 4 days a week for two years, and never saw shit. I smelled urine sometimes, but I never saw shit (as it were).

by Anonymousreply 5006/27/2013

We need a shitcam for the BART - kind like crowdsourcing for solutions to San Francisco's anal leakage problems.

by Anonymousreply 5106/27/2013

I own a 2BR/1BA 800 sq. ft. house in Napa, and it rents for $1700/mo., if that gives you any idea.

by Anonymousreply 5206/27/2013

r18 cannot be serious.

by Anonymousreply 5306/27/2013

R43...Why tell lies? I have been to that Safeway hundreds of times and never have seen what you describe. Unless you are so superior that seeing people who aren't rich bothers you. You are basing your opinion on nothing. Do us a favor and stay away. This is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Now go back to your urban basement and inhale the asbestos.

by Anonymousreply 5406/27/2013

LOL R54!

by Anonymousreply 5506/27/2013

Guerneville (Russian River) is only "gay friendly" because there are a number of gays there. I don't see any special tolerance from the yokels.

by Anonymousreply 5606/28/2013

The yokels are dying off. My husband and I have been here for over 30 years. We are now the old timers around here. We share this with many other long term gay couples in this area. The fact is that gay people have been so assimilated into the community here, no one gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 5706/28/2013

R2,22,23,24,32,33,39,43,45,49...You really are an angry bitter bitch. You don't seem to like anyone. I trust no one likes you either. Your venom for the Bay area must be because either you couldn't cut it here or you were run out of town. Most likely both.

by Anonymousreply 5806/28/2013

OP, where is your job going to be? The BA is large enough that if your job is in Silicon Valley, you don't want to rent in Petaluma. That'd be, well, about a four-hour commute.

by Anonymousreply 5906/28/2013

That's good to hear, R57.

by Anonymousreply 6006/29/2013

r54 I'm not telling lies. I haven't even BEEN to that Safeway. I am only repeating what was here on DL not that long ago.

Again, as far as "beautiful", yes it is but there is a major meth problem in the woods of RR.

There are SOME gays that live in the area, but not a lot, most are straights and down and out ones at that.

My RE agent told me that the area around RR is for the poorer people of Slowcoma County.

As far as me, baby I live in Fountaingrove. Yes I'm a happy camper, and I have a pool.

by Anonymousreply 6106/29/2013

[quote] Slowcoma

That's not very clever. Are we supposed to know what or where fountaingrove is? It's a senior home in Santa Rosa. I bet they have a pool.

Sonoma county isn't as fast as the city but it's definitely got its own groove. The county as a whole is very gay friendly. They even have a Gay Sonoma group that holds annual events (one is "Out in the Vineyard). I don't know that much about Russian River only that it's beautiful. The times I have been there, I saw gay flags in multiple places. Sonoma county has the amazingly, spectacular coast, rolling hills, kickass hiking trails and least we forget...some of the best wine in the world.

I have to agree with whoever said you're lying. For whatever reason, you want people to think they cannot live in the Bay Area for under 1k a month without living in a drug-invested, unsafe zone. I"ve lived here long enough to know that ain't true so suck it.

by Anonymousreply 6206/29/2013

Yes r62 you're in the granny apt in actual Slowcoma as I recall or was it Napa? Meanwhile I'm in a huge 2 story home with a pool, you wouldn't know because you're in a teeny tiny shitehole place for $850 a month. We own our home in the best neighborhood bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6306/29/2013

Obviously OP meant the Tampa Bay area, where you can indeed find apartments in his price range.

by Anonymousreply 6406/29/2013

Hayward does have a mobile home park with reasonable home prices, but even then fees are pretty high.

by Anonymousreply 6506/29/2013

Fountaingrove is an area in Santa Rosa littered with McMansions. There is a new Fountaingrove Retirement Community for well heeled A gays. Not surprised by R54 and his imperious attitude.

by Anonymousreply 6606/29/2013

My god R63 etc. You really are a horrible person. This is why they hate us!

by Anonymousreply 6706/29/2013

I'm seriously supposed to be jealous over someone's "mansion" in Santa Rosa? Hon, the way you're carrying on, you'd think your palace was somewhere in Marin County, on the Peninsula or in Pacific Heights. And I must admit, that would make me a little green with envy but…. you in Santa Rosa, gurl! You may have a big house but you're still in…SANTA ROSA!! Lol! Not exactly the most sought after community in the SF Bay Area…or Sonoma County for that matter. And I've never heard of it because people really don't talk about it. Maybe in Santa Rosa, it's considered posh but most people in Sonoma County don't really aspire to live in Santa Rosa, dear. I'll keep my granny unit, which may be small but is far from being a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 6807/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.