Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rachel Sweet

Love Rachel Sweet's voice, a singer from the eighties. Never had the career she should have had. A favorite of John Waters, she sang the "Hairspray" theme and sang in his "Cry-Baby" for convicted vehicular killer Amy Locane.

So, I'm watching "Hot In Cleveland" and I see the name Rachel Sweet in the credits and lo and behold she has been a successful writer/ producer of a bunch of TV shows. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 1706/28/2013

Singing for Amy Locane "Please Mister Jailer" -From "Cry Baby". Ironically, Amy was just sent to jail for ten years.

by Anonymousreply 106/27/2013

Rex Smith and Rachel Sweet and the best version of "Everlasting Love" ever.

by Anonymousreply 206/27/2013

I like "B.A.B.Y"

by Anonymousreply 306/27/2013

She was also the after-school VJ on The Comedy Channel back when I was in Junior High.

I remember thinking she was so cool and funny and wanted to be her best friend. Kind of like a mix between Daria and Julie Brown.

by Anonymousreply 406/27/2013

Protect the Innocent ws a phenomenal album... he was one of those child dynamos with a huge voice...Ive seen her several times in concert...I was always blown away that this tiny 16 year old could bring down the house and hold her own with the big boys. he was among the crop of taaalent thaat came out of Akron, Ohio in the late 70's early 80's...Chrissie Hynge, Devo, Rachel Sweet...

by Anonymousreply 506/27/2013

orryfor all the typos...me keyboard is sticking...

by Anonymousreply 606/27/2013

Akron's answer to Kirsty MacColl.

by Anonymousreply 706/27/2013

Such a great singer but I don't think the record companies knew what to do with her.

by Anonymousreply 806/27/2013

She was signed to Stiff Records in the 70s and had success as a teen. She was on that great documentary about Stiff along with Tracey Ullmann.

I just checked her Wiki discography and thought she was one of the American artists that did well in the UK, but unknown in her home country. The success was really minor and she actually had her biggest hit in the US.

by Anonymousreply 906/27/2013

I used to watch her on the Comedy Channel too. I thought she was kind of fun to listen to her banter. Also saw her in concert once at the Aragon Ballroom but hardly remember it. I was wasted on beer, schnapps, pot, possibly did a hit of purple microdot. I forget who the headliners were. Head east, Southside Johnny, Nazareth possibly. Anyway, she seemed a bit out of place there. She was lucky she that the crowd left her alone to perform.

by Anonymousreply 1006/27/2013

I love this vid. The song's good too. It's sounds like any number of recording artists could have recorded it. Anyone from ONJ to Cowboy Junkies and so forth.

by Anonymousreply 1106/28/2013

Her theme from Hairspray is one of my favorite songs from the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 1206/28/2013

Here she is on the set of "Hot In Cleveland".

by Anonymousreply 1306/28/2013

What accent does Daphne from Fraser use in Hot in Cleveland?

by Anonymousreply 1406/28/2013

She looks good. I was expecting her to be very fat.

by Anonymousreply 1506/28/2013

[quote]What accent does Daphne from Fraser use in Hot in Cleveland?

I think it's the region of Lousy Actress

by Anonymousreply 1606/28/2013

She wasn't much to look at and seemed pretty full of herself back then. Maybe that's why she never caught on with audiences.

by Anonymousreply 1706/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.