Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Entertainment Weekly: All-time greatest TV shows and movies are ...

The No. 1 pick is "Citizen Kane," the 1942 saga of old-school journalism. The gritty and engrossing tales of mob life in "The Godfather" (1972) and "The Godfather Part 2" (1974) tie for second place in the roundup. In third is 1967's murder and mayhem-filled "Bonnie and Clyde." The classic tale of war-torn love, "Casablanca" (1942), takes the fourth spot. And 1960’s legendary “Psycho,” dubbed the “granddaddy of all slasher films,” rounds out the list.

Topping the list is complex crime drama "The Wire," which wrapped up its run in 2008. The still-on-the-air show in second place is Fox's very long-running "The Simpsons." "Seinfeld," which aired its last episode in 1998, comes in at third place, followed by "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" (1977) in fourth. "The Sopranos," the HBO antihero drama that ended in 2007, takes fifth.

by Anonymousreply 506/27/2013

One thing I think this illustrates is GONE WITH THE WIND's diminishing pop-cultural presence in recent years. Obviously it would never have ranked high in a serious or academic film journal, but I feel like GONE WITH THE WIND would have been an automatic choice in the Top 5 in a pop-culture magazine like EW until fairly recently.

by Anonymousreply 106/27/2013

Gone With The Wind is much better than Bonnie and Clyde. I suspect EW wanted to seem hip and i'm sure there is a reference to how B&C influenced depictions of violence.

by Anonymousreply 206/27/2013

And everyone is supposed to heed the opinions of a bunch of hacks from EW who consistently praise the likes of Beyonce and Kanye West not to mention pieces of shit film like the recent Great Gatsby remake? When will they learn that no one gives a shit about what anyone else's idea of what's best is? What a fucking joke. For me, the only useful purpose of these kinds of lists is that they're a reminder of what's available out there. Revolver??? The Wire???? Citizen Kane, while a breakthrough in films for its time, is now hopelessly dated. Come on, EW, stop with this shit already.

by Anonymousreply 306/27/2013

Psycho isn't even in Hitchcock's top 5, let alone all-time.

by Anonymousreply 406/27/2013

This from a magazine that dedicates issue after issue to Twilght movies...

by Anonymousreply 506/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.