Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The HRC Can Suck It

I'm sorry to be a bit of a sourpuss on such a happy night, but I found it galling that the HRC turned tonight's rally (at least the one in WeHo)into THEIR event. The HRC abandoned us throughout the entire Prop 8 debacle and appeared to do almost nothing regarding DOMA. While the HRC is busy throwing fancy cocktail parties to give themselves awards, most of the progress we've achieved has been due to the hard work of small local groups and the chutzpah of brave individuals who found the courage to stand up for themselves at great personal loss and sacrifice.

The HRC not only takes credits for things they didn't do, they didn't even get the news right. The email I received from them claimed that the "History was made today as the U.S. Supreme Court held that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional, returning marriage equality to California." The US Supreme Court offered no such opinion; they simply ruled that the people who sought to fight the lawsuit had no standing.

The "equal" sign shows that they are good at branding. History shows they haven't accomplished much at all.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 5901/12/2015

Agreed OP

by The Voice of Reasonreply 106/27/2013

I agree OP. My $$$ no longer goes to that org.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 206/27/2013

Or GLAAD.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 306/27/2013

Amen

by The Voice of Reasonreply 406/27/2013

Lambda Legal has been fabulous, if you want to put money where it counts

by The Voice of Reasonreply 506/27/2013

HRC is like the Green Peace of gay rights, they know how to get noticed but accomplish nothing.

I no longer give money to Green Piece ever since I discovered someone broke off from those guys and gets things done.

I now support these guys for environmental stuff, this is what we need for gay rights.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 606/27/2013

What is HRC?

by The Voice of Reasonreply 706/27/2013

Hillary Rodham Clinton, Rose.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 806/27/2013

Are you sure the HRC statement is technically incorrect? By vacating the lower court decision on standing they upheld Judge Walker's ruling that Prop 8 is unconstitutional.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 906/27/2013

I have a poseur friend who moved to LA and joined the HRC to get ahead socially. Her self-serving FB posts yesterday were very annoying. They spend 99% of their time celebrating themselves and pretending to be the elite 1% of the gays.

Lambda Legal is the shit and they just get it done.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 1006/27/2013

I just wrote them a check. They've been doing some great work and yesterday was a culmination of many of their efforts.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 1106/27/2013

Some of you work overtime to make yourselves miserable.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 1206/27/2013

Again, the great gay collective of DataLounge has spoken.

HRC remains all about HRC and fundraising.

The real deal for LGBT rights, and where donor money should go, is Lambda Legal.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 1306/27/2013

HRC has always been run by a bunch of nervous nellies, third-rate non-profit administrators who --only incidentally, never usefully- hold law degrees. If they so much as drop some simplistic legalese ripped straight from the headlines of "Law & Order" ("slippery slope!"), it's high-fives and happy hour all around at HRC HQ.

In one area, however, they have been at the absolute forefront, the very frontiers of gay and lesbian rights. They've never met a legal case that they didn't think was premature and an "imperfect" case that might set things back instead of forward. Our "leaders" at the helm of HRC have been high as a kite on "the tranquilizing drug of gradualism" for decades. Left to them, nothing would happen, ever.

Useless motherfuckers.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 1406/27/2013

HRC is all about snob appeal. It is all about gays with money preening for each other, not about gay rights.

I used to go every year, but was totally turned off by the self-satisfaction.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 1506/27/2013

Joe Solmonese was the party-giving president of the Human Rights Campaign for several years. He became a very wealthy man while hosting HRC fund-raising banquets around the nation. We could devote an entire 600 post thread to the ways HRC sat back and did little or nothing while Prop 8 and other anti-gay legislation around this nations was heaped upon the gay community.

When the Washington Blade published Solmonese's salary and perks and listed the huge staff of people in his party organization, I stopped donating to HRC. I can't even begin to list the reasons to loathe that blood-sucker who let Prop 8 pass while riding around to parties in a fancy limo.

Happily, the HRC party host left the organization. Since Chad Griffin took over as President of HRC, the group's focus has totally changed from banquets to gay rights. They've been working very hard in support of the end of DOMA and Prop 8. They've been working in the various states to gain equality for gays where they never visited before. I still haven't opened my wallet toward a donation to HRC, but, if Chad Griffin keeps them on the right track, I'll reach for my wallet once more. They've done a very good job all this year so they deserve to be joining in the celebrations this week.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 1606/27/2013

No, R9, they really didn't. The outcome is the same, but technically, they did not adjudicate and pass any judgement on Prop 8. They simply said that those who brought the case forward had no standing. Look at the majority votes on that ruling. It was all about avoiding the issue.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 1706/27/2013

OP is 100% correct. Unfortunately, those assholes think their ubiquitous symbol shaded red actually did something to win the fight. Fuck HRC, fuck Chad Griffin, and fuck black tie events.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 1806/27/2013

HRC was pretty damn late to the party on marriage equality. That's what I remember.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 1906/27/2013

They are always taking credit for the work of others and they get camera time because they think they own the equal sign.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 2006/27/2013

I thought it was really cool that Obama called from Airforce One to congratulate the plaintiffs yesterday, but unfortunately he called the HRC guy's cellphone, which only serves to give this organization more credit than it is due.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 2106/27/2013

HRC is all about the $$$ and celebrity.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 2206/27/2013

OP, even assuming you are right and HRC didn't do a great deal on the DOMA case in particular, they were, are and will continue to be extremely active in gay marriage legislation throughout the nation, which, in turn, has a direct relationship to DOMA's being struck down by the Supreme Court.

But you could figure that out, OP, couldn't you? I mean, you are not a complete moron, are you?

by The Voice of Reasonreply 2306/27/2013

I hate that the public face of gay people is always a smarmy rich dude at a fundraising dinner. I could never attend any of those high price Outserve events either. They may as well hang a sign that says officer only!

by The Voice of Reasonreply 2406/27/2013

"are and will continue to be extremely active in gay marriage legislation throughout the nation"

By wedging themselves between the activists who toil toward success and mainstream politicians and the media.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 2506/27/2013

R24, you're military too? I was disappointed that OutServe's conference in LV was so expensive, and I'm an officer!!! I think that's why so many gays and lesbians are muted in their enthusiasm about gay marriage...it's been the singular focus of wealthy gays. Meanwhile, the fight for equality in the workplace has languished (which impacts ALL gays and lesbians).

by The Voice of Reasonreply 2606/27/2013

I attended several HRC events in the past and it's basically a social networking organization for upper-class professionals. Kind of like the gay version of a country club, if you will. They couldn't care less about gay men or lesbians outside of their rarefied social circles.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 2706/27/2013

Which explains why they're the type of organization that doesn't DO anything but takes credit for what gets done. They all fancy themselves CEO types.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 2806/27/2013

If you want your gay dollars to really do some good, donate to Lambda Legal or GLAD (with one A, the legal org in Massachusetts that brought one of the DOMA suits).

But also don't focus on the negative, people. If HRC isn't your thing, just put your money somewhere else. Let's not attack our own organizations like crabs in a barrel.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 2906/27/2013

R27,

Your description sounds like the impression many get from Log Cabin Republicans. Or is it GoProud?

by The Voice of Reasonreply 3006/27/2013

R26, yes, I'm an NCO. I am disappointed with the way it has been going, too. I thought after the repeal of DADT, there would be more public and less exclusive events. I am encouraged by recent events, but I think having a less secretive and more diverse image would be good.

On base, I thought we'd see things like events/trips offered for the inevitably single gay service members offered at Single Marine / Single Sailor Program, legal and administrative training on things like NAVADMIN 024/13 (especially for JAG and admin clerks), and inclusion of LGB issues in EO training and command climate surveys. Who is going to push for those things?

by The Voice of Reasonreply 3106/27/2013

R24/R31: Part of OutServe's original mission was to build a community for GLBT servicemembers, but they appear to have abandoned some of their ideals.

It might be up to you and some other sailors to start an organization of your own. Probably won't be easy, but it could be a rewarding experience.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 3206/27/2013

R23 sounds like a douchebag.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 3306/27/2013

Chad Griffin, now the president of HRC, founded AFER which was created to overturn Prop 8. He's from Hope, Arkansas and worked in the Clinton administration.

I think a lot of the criticism of HRC is overblown, though I agree with some of it. However, Chad Griffin is the real deal and I think we will see a much more active HRC.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 3406/27/2013

Joe's salary and perks were in line with what other high profile lobbyists made. He was living in DC, which has a high cost of living. I can't believe we would bitch about a salary of one of our own who was doing great work. I personally don't want one of our key lobbyists living in Section 8 or planning parties via Party Central. HRC is a major player because they present a certain image.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 3506/27/2013

[quote]HRC is a major player because they present a certain image.

Yes, because the Gay Douchebag is a rare as a unicorn.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 3606/27/2013

Chad Griffin is a huge improvement over Joe Salmonmousse. Chad is a hard-worker and has done many good things since he took over as the head of HRC.

Lambda Legal and HRC are going to need our donations this year if we're going to overturn the rest of DOMA.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 3706/27/2013

[quote]Joe's salary and perks were in line with what other high profile lobbyists made.

His salary and perks were in line with WORKING lobbyists. That's the difference between Joe and other lobbyists. They don't confine their job to hosting cocktail parties, receptions, and banquets. They also lobby.

For the last few years, most of Joe's correspondence involved asking for donations. He set himself up far beyond the job as HRC president. He made himself the HRC Star! If you donated really big bucks, you could sit near the front at a banquet. I read that, for a really huge donation, you could walk with him to his limo at the end of the banquet to wave goodbye to HRC's posh president as his chauffeur whisked him off to his posh DC digs.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 3806/27/2013

[quote]Lambda Legal and HRC are going to need our donations...

The HRC trolls have arrived. You deserve a mention next to al-Qaeda before you do next to Lambda Legal, you useless appendages. Now fuck off and figure how why gay people with a modicum of conscience HATE YOU!!!!!!!

by The Voice of Reasonreply 3906/27/2013

[quote]Joe's salary and perks were in line with what other high profile lobbyists made.

True enough.

[quote]He was living in DC, which has a high cost of living.

True

[quote]I can't believe we would bitch about a salary of one of our own who was doing great work.

Change the words "who was" to "IF he had been" and sensible people would be firmly in agreement with you.

[quote]I personally don't want one of our key lobbyists living in Section 8 or planning parties via Party Central.

Who suggested as much, you daft cunt? Plenty of people are able to eke by in D.C. on less that Solmonese's old salary of $318,475 per year; but once again, most who grumbled at his salary did so relative the slim accomplishments of HRC, which hasn't done even a half-assed decent job of blowing its own horn, let alone achieving anything for its constituency and supporters.

[quote]HRC is a major player because they present a certain image.

Believe that if you wish; many HRC supporters do. After all, there is no greater sacrifice than being a Table Captain for an HRC fundraiser.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 4006/27/2013

[quote] I personally don't want one of our key lobbyists living in Section 8 or planning parties via Party Central. HRC is a major player because they present a certain image.

Don't you have a housewife to finger, Andy?

by The Voice of Reasonreply 4106/27/2013

R40 is clearly pissed because Salmonese wouldn't let him suck his cock. Or he's jealous of his lifestyle and connections. Why must some gay men get off on trashing others, especially the ones who are helping.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 4206/27/2013

[quote]Why must some gay men get off on trashing others, especially the ones who are helping.

BECAUSE HE WASN'T HELPING!!!! HE WAS RIPPING US OFF, YOU STUPID BITCH!!!!

by The Voice of Reasonreply 4306/27/2013

Many of you sound bitter and hard to please. If you think HRC is broken, why not join it and fix/improve it? OP, just shut up.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 4406/27/2013

R17 - by not granting the proponents of Prop 8 standing they vacated a lower court ruling granting them standing and left intact the ruling declaring Prop 8 unconstitutional.

They upheld Walker's decision - regardless of the reason why. There is a difference between the court upholding a lower court ruling, for a variety of reasons, and themselves ruling.

I'm no fan of HRC. I live in state where at best they pay attention every four years - and even then their arrogance and unwillingness to work with local grassroots organizers at best sucks at worst harms the LGBT community.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 4506/27/2013

[quote] If you think HRC is broken, why not join it and fix/improve it?

Because there are other, more effective organizations (like Lambda Legal). HRC doesn't deserve saving, since we don't need it and it doesn't accomplish things.

This "why don't you join and fix it" nonsense might've sounded quite trenchant when you heard your mother say it the first time, but it's actually not a sophisticated adult argument.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 4606/27/2013

You're right on target R43.

Since the new guy took over, the constant begging for funds has gone down to one request to rejoin HRC. There have been many, many requests for signing petitions, contacting our state government officials and contacting our members of Congress in DC. All aimed at lobbying efforts toward equal rights for gays.

And all missing from the years Solmonese was hosting parties.

Every time I see Solmonese's name, I envision Ethel Merman singing "I'm the hostess with the mostess on the ball!"

by The Voice of Reasonreply 4706/27/2013

R46 = bitter and hard to please

by The Voice of Reasonreply 4806/27/2013

Joe Solomnese must be a fan of Google alerts. Or some pathetic HRC intern has been tasked with damage control.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 4906/27/2013

Nobody can do damage control over Solmonese's reign. What makes his reign look worse, is that the new guy is getting the job done. He's been doing what was missing for years.

You don't have to donate to sign on for HRC e-mail. The HRC alerts for signing petitions and lobbying our people in Congress are worth our time. I hope they continue in this new and needed direction.

During the Solmonese years, I concentrated on the SLDN efforts for repeal of DADT. That was a worthwhile project and a step toward equality.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 5006/27/2013

[quote]This "why don't you join and fix it" nonsense might've sounded quite trenchant when you heard your mother say it the first time, but it's actually not a sophisticated adult argument.

Then why don't you present us with one of those sophisticated adult arguments?

by The Voice of Reasonreply 5106/27/2013

R48 If you hate homophobes much, why don't you just influence them positively by joining their political organizations in a leadership capacity?

by The Voice of Reasonreply 5206/27/2013

HRC's greatest accomplishment is convincing main stream media that it represents LGBT America.

It's second greatest accomplishment is its ability co-opt anything LGBT. It's like the rich, white gay Borg.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 5306/27/2013

r24, and r26, I'm a veteran as well. I don't fuck with OutServe/SLDN for the same reason a lot of these people don't fuck with HRC. That organization was started for no other reason than to be an HRC for the wealthy, officer "A-Gays" of the armed forces. I was pretty heavy in the DADT movement, and I was shocked at how conservative a lot of these types were. And, yes, there was an element of classism with a lot of the officers versus those who were enlisted.

Now, Seefried organized the ouster of Allyson Robinson who was leading it. Apparently they're having trouble fundraising, but funny because when I get the emails all I see are invites to Vegas and the like for their "leadership conferences" which are pretty much just an excuse for them to travel different places and party on someone else's dime.

The fact that their board members are made up mostly of people who didn't do a goddamn thing besides get trotted out on MSNBC when DADT repeal was a big focus turns my stomach.

Look for two things: A white male officer to replace Allyson Robinson, and for them to have a rapid descent into irrelevancy because their hearts aren't in the right place about this whole thing. It's about money, access, and power and NOT helping everyday gay soldiers.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 5406/28/2013

[quote] I personally don't want one of our key lobbyists living in Section 8 or planning parties via Party Central.

Very different set of circumstances, but Peter Tatchell lives in a fucking hovel and still gets shit done. He could be taking a cut from everything he helps out at, but clearly doesn't.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 5506/28/2013

I think they're tremendous.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 5606/28/2013

I find it hilarious that there are those posting to defend HRC and claiming that they've accomplished so much ... without actually naming ONE single thing that the HRC has done other than make their own logo famous.

Yes, its true that Joe Solmonese was the worst thing the HRC ever gave us. And his lowest moment? Around midnight on election day 2008 he sent out a mass email proclaiming unbridled joy and hysterical celebration that Obama won ... this included a proclamation that the election was a huge step forward for the LGBT population. Even his own board of directors absolutely had a SHIT FIT that Solmonese ignored the passage of Prop 8 and that we had lost on almost all anti-gay propositions in states throughout the country.

It is true that a victory for Obama couldn't be worse than a victory for McCain/Palin would have been ... but Obama hurt our chances in CA and he and Biden were still clear that they were against gay marriage rights. Yes, the election of Obama gave us some hope, but that election night was a DISASTER for the LGBT community and Solmonese was too busy on his knees sucking Obama's cock to even notice.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 5706/30/2013

Bump.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 5809/15/2013

HRC is basically an excuse for wealthy white gays to jerk themselves off at fancy banquets. They really are exclusionary and snobbish.

by The Voice of Reasonreply 5901/12/2015
Need more help? Click Here.