Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The TX anti-abortion bill's filibuster.

It stopped the GOP today, but they're going to try again on Monday.

So why do I think the GOP's going to go behind everyone's backs and do this in secret over the weekend when no one's looking?

by Anonymousreply 1906/27/2013

No, R1, they don't.

by Anonymousreply 206/26/2013

A vocal minority wants it because they have a dangerous disease....moral outrage.

by Anonymousreply 306/26/2013

Have any Republicans broken rank?

by Anonymousreply 406/26/2013

Maybe some Dems will forget to show up.

No senators, no vote.

He'll, they've done it once before if I recall correctly.

by Anonymousreply 506/26/2013

Damn autocorrect straight to hell!!!!

Hell, they've done it before....

by Anonymousreply 606/26/2013

Straight to he'll!

by Anonymousreply 706/26/2013

I just watched her interview on Chris Hayes' show. I didn't realize that not only did Rick Perry call the special session, but the Lt. Gov. arbitrarily changed the rules at the beginning. Like regular sessions, 2/3 would be needed for passage. However, the Lt. Gov. changed it to a simple majority. Not only the backdating of the voting, but this too!

by Anonymousreply 806/26/2013

The Daily Show just nailed the Republicans to the wall. Damn, that was brilliant.

If you missed it? Catch the replay... or find it online.

by Anonymousreply 906/26/2013

It's on now!

by Anonymousreply 1006/27/2013

Filabusters - HA!

by Anonymousreply 1106/27/2013

Perry has rescheduled another special session to begin on July 1st. This will be 30 days long so there's no way they'll be able to filibuster it for a whole month. Would an investigation into the date tampering felony somehow be able to prevent this from going through? What can be done? Ohio is set to pass similar restrictions the GOP has tucked into the budget bill this morning.

by Anonymousreply 1206/27/2013

I know Texas has a lot of crazy, but I suspect the people who really want this bill are a very vocal minority. I bet there are a lot of women, including conservative women who don't want this. They are going to have to start banding together regardless of party and let people know they want control over these issues, or they are going to find things much more difficult for themselves in not that long of a time. You have gone back a long way baby.

by Anonymousreply 1306/27/2013

r13, polling says 80% of Texas is against the bill.

by Anonymousreply 1406/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 1506/27/2013

It doesn't matter what the voters of Texas want. It's all about Perry and his setting up for a presidential run. It "demonstrates" his " never-give-up" spirit in righting wrongs and will be a centerpiece of his campaign, just as the fake "Texas miracle" in education was for W.

by Anonymousreply 1606/27/2013

OP. they learned from how obamacare was,passed.

by Anonymousreply 1706/27/2013

I can't imagine Perry is really stupid enough to try for the Presidency again after he flamed out last time. This is just his way of playing bully-boy Texas style to pae his way to whatever role he thinks he'll be able to play in the future as a "power broker" or lobbyist.

by Anonymousreply 1806/27/2013

I read that this bill could reduce the number of clinics offering abortions in Texas down to just five. For a state with over 25 million people.

My local NPR did a story last week about how there is only 1 clinic left in Mississippi, and doctors have to fly in from out of state to staff it.

by Anonymousreply 1906/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!