Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Singer Melissa Etheridge to wed after gay marriage ruling

U.S. rock singer Melissa Etheridge on Wednesday announced plans to marry partner Linda Wallem after the U.S. Supreme Court's rulings paved the way for gay marriage in California, the couple's home state.

Etheridge, 52, came out in 1993 and was an early and prominent gay rights advocate in the entertainment industry.

"I look forward to exercising my American civil liberties and getting fully, completely and legally married this year to my true love of over three years, Linda Wallem," Etheridge said in a statement.

"Once again our constitution stands strong," the "Come to My Window" singer added. "All men, and women, and everything in between are created equal."

Wallem, 52, is a creator and executive producer on the cable television series "Nurse Jackie."

The Supreme Court affirmed on Wednesday a lower court ruling that struck down California's voter-approved ban on gay marriage. The state would become the United States' 13th state to legalize same-sex marriage.

The country's highest court also struck down a key part of a the federal law, Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), that denied benefits to same-sex married couples.

The Supreme Court's rulings reverberated in Hollywood, where some of the entertainment industry's most prominent personalities advocate gay rights.

Hollywood power couple Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have said in the past that they would not get married until gay couples could as well.

Comedienne and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, an early gay rights advocate, tweeted after the ruling on Wednesday, "It's a supremely wonderful day for equality. Prop 8 is over, and so is DOMA. Congratulations everyone. And I mean everyone."

Like Etheridge, DeGeneres was one of the first stars to publicly say she was a lesbian, exploring the topic on her TV comedy series "Ellen" in the late 1990s. She is married to actress Portia de Rossi.

"We stand tall today. #DomaStruckDown So many fought for so long. Be proud, the prejudice are now the minority," singer and prominent gay rights supporter Lady Gaga wrote to her more than 38 million Twitter followers.

"Big news from the Supreme Court. Goodbye #DOMA #Prop8. Hello #equality," tweeted Ben Affleck, the director and star of Oscar-winning film "Argo," while actor Leonardo DiCaprio tweeted the decision was a "historic day."

Singer Cyndi Lauper, whose True Colors Fund promotes gay rights and addresses homelessness in the gay and lesbian community, said, "Both of these decisions not only impact the lives of gay couples, but of gay and transgender youth who struggle to find acceptance from their family and friends."

by Anonymousreply 8603/07/2015

I bet Tammy is pissed!

by Anonymousreply 106/26/2013

I give it -5 months.

by Anonymousreply 206/26/2013

What an attention whore.

by Anonymousreply 306/26/2013

I agree R3.

by Anonymousreply 406/26/2013

Agree with R3 and R4 - some celebs always have to do something to make something important end up being about them personally.

by Anonymousreply 506/26/2013

She's probably still pissed that Angelina Jolie got more breast surgery attention. She decided to jump on this one fast.

by Anonymousreply 606/26/2013

Is Etheridge a well-known cunt?

Most of you seem unsurprised by her ME ME ME behavior.

by Anonymousreply 706/26/2013

I'm ejaculating into a turkey baster as I type.

by Anonymousreply 806/26/2013

;)

by Anonymousreply 906/26/2013

More bad poetry from Tammy in 5...4...3...2...

by Anonymousreply 1006/26/2013

R7 Well, Rosie said that they used to hang out back in the day, so if you believe that saying that the company you keep is a good indication of your character, then...

by Anonymousreply 1106/26/2013

When Andy Cohen flashed kd lang's pic up on WWHL, Etheridge was stumped at finding something positive to say about her.

Yet, he also showed a clip of the pair embracing at some event where Etheridge came out in front of the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 1206/26/2013

[R12], kd and Melissa's first, Julie Cypher, cheated on her(according to Melissa)

by Anonymousreply 1306/26/2013

She needs to concentrate on her kids. She seems to have been through a lot of relationships.

by Anonymousreply 1406/26/2013

This IS her third "marriage"!

She used a homophobic legal argument when she was splitting with Tammy to try and pay less support. She said their commitment ceremony wasn't a "real" marriage so she should have to pay her less alimony/ child support.

by Anonymousreply 1506/26/2013

R15 Not surprising. Her dumb ass also defended Eminem when he was writing anti-gay lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 1606/26/2013

r31

Thanks, I was wondering if sex was a factor.

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2013

She'll be divorced in no time...

by Anonymousreply 1806/26/2013

She was on CNN shortly after the rulings were announced. I was like "Wow, could you not find any other person to talk on marriage?"

She's like the fucking Jerry Lee Lewis of dykes. Love em and leave em. And her music is shitty, too.

by Anonymousreply 1906/26/2013

Lesbians are not comtented with usual anymore. They want serial Marriages.

by Anonymousreply 2006/26/2013

R19 That's what I was thinking. I mean, she's not exactly relevant anymore. Her last solo single to hit the Top 40 was in 1996 and she hasn't had an album go "gold" in the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 2106/26/2013

Not to mention, Linda Wallem is a shitty writer.

by Anonymousreply 2206/26/2013

I remember Linda Wallem from her days writing and performing with Peter Tolan in NY. I didn't realize she was gay. Is Peter Tolan gay too?

by Anonymousreply 2306/26/2013

No one has the balls to say that she's a using womanizer? Afraid to say that 'cause she's a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 2406/26/2013

Melissa Etheridge gets less like able every year. A serial cheat who always has a new gf lined up before she dumps the current one. Linda is an idiot if she thinks their 'love' is any different.

by Anonymousreply 2506/26/2013

[quote] my true love of over three years

Talk about protesting too much...

by Anonymousreply 2606/26/2013

Linda's Wallem's ex, that she did Nurse Jackie with is cute

by Anonymousreply 2706/26/2013

Yes she is r27 . Liz Brixius is beautiful and very tall. Makes Melissa look like a troll doll in comparison. Melissa must be the holy grail of lesbian partners, though.

by Anonymousreply 2806/26/2013

I bet it takes effort to dress like this:

by Anonymousreply 2906/26/2013

[quote]"I look forward to exercising my American civil liberties and getting fully, completely and legally married this year.

How romantic!

by Anonymousreply 3006/26/2013

[quote]And her music is shitty, too

Bitch, I'll cut you. Say what you want about her serial relationshipping, but her music is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 3106/26/2013

She's pathetic. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 3206/26/2013

One of the things I find most endearing and lovable about DL is how we can all come together in our mutual dislike of Melissa Etheridge.

I'm still stupefied at her decision to have David Crosby, the biggest substance abuser in the history of popular music, as a sperm donor. How clueless do you have to be?

by Anonymousreply 3306/26/2013

And don't forget his history of reckless gunplay, r33. Imagine him falling off the wagon and demanding his bio-kids back.

by Anonymousreply 3406/26/2013

This will not end well.

by Anonymousreply 3506/27/2013

This ugly cow used to bag prime pussy. Gillian Anderson and Helen Hunt both went to bed with her.

by Anonymousreply 3606/27/2013

[quote] I'm still stupefied at her decision to have David Crosby, the biggest substance abuser in the history of popular music, as a sperm donor. How clueless do you have to be?

Do you think Brad turned her down?

by Anonymousreply 3706/27/2013

[quote] Say what you want about her serial relationshipping, but her music is awesome.

Sorry, but all of your taste buds must have died a painful death. She's got one sound - scream. Her music is shitty, and derivative, and about as imaginative, creative and interesting as burlap toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 3806/27/2013

She had one good song that I liked: "If I Wanted To". That was it. All of the rest of her stuff sounds like the same old shit.

by Anonymousreply 3906/27/2013

She sucks. I hate her music and she's about as attractive as roadkill.

by Anonymousreply 4006/27/2013

Come to My Window is a great song

by Anonymousreply 4106/27/2013

Her voice is gruff, but that's her appeal. Her lyrics are often deep and introspective, and she has some great songs ("Come to My Window" isn't the only one). Some of them are:

Dance Without Sleeping

You Can Sleep When I Drive

Testify

If I Wanted To

Come To My Window

I'm the Only One

Like The Way I Do

Similar Features

Precious Pain

I Take You With Me

by Anonymousreply 4206/27/2013

The 1990s called, r42. They'd like their mix tape back.

by Anonymousreply 4306/27/2013

She has an Oscar and several grammys for that shitty music.

What the fuck do some of you have besides thrombosis?

Must be a lot of gay men posting here. They're always jealous of attractive lesbians who aren't seeking their opinions every two seconds.

Must be a bitch to not always be the center of attention.

by Anonymousreply 4406/27/2013

I immediately thought the same thing as r3!

by Anonymousreply 4506/27/2013

Well, I gotta admit her debut record is a classic.

And she is great live.

And I do like a lot of her songs.

But she seems shallow....like fame is really important to her.

Like, that's why she sings & plays guitar...to be famous.

She's been phoning it in for a long time...maybe she's surrounded by yes people

But, honey, she ain't no Springsteen like she thinks.

by Anonymousreply 4606/27/2013

I'm not a gay man and I think she sucks. Maybe in your universe, Etheridge is an attractive, talented lesbian but in mine she's a talentless toad. Talent is subjective, dear. And the Grammys and Oscars really don't mean anything. It's all politics.

The fact that I hate her music has nothing to do with her being lesbian. I happen to like KD Lange quite a bit because, unlike Etheridge, KD can sing.

by Anonymousreply 4706/27/2013

[quote]Must be a lot of gay men posting here. They're always jealous of attractive lesbians who aren't seeking their opinions every two seconds.

Attractive?! Melissa?!! You must be one disgusting likker.

by Anonymousreply 4806/27/2013

True, r47.

Thr Indigo Girls lost their Grammy to Milli Vanilli.

They're currently doing a symphony tour, and aren't fame whores.

by Anonymousreply 4906/27/2013

Yikes! Th claws are out on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5006/27/2013

[quote]But, honey, she ain't no Springsteen like she thinks

I don't think she thinks she's Springsteen, but she is an admitted longtime admirer. She's covered some of his tunes, sand with him live and her NEVER ENOUGH album cover is an homage to the back cover of Bruce's BORN TO RUN album

by Anonymousreply 5106/27/2013

Another awesome Melissa tune--from her second album

by Anonymousreply 5206/27/2013

She is not Springsteen, but she is better than John Mellencamp. She has at least four really good songs, that still sound good.

by Anonymousreply 5306/27/2013

She's no supermodel, but she "cleans up" well, and she's at least willing to doll herself up a tad bit from time to time. I think her best look was during the NEVER ENOUGH era. It's probably the most "feminie looking" (for lack of a better phrase) that I've ever seen her.

by Anonymousreply 5406/27/2013

Yeah, I'm the Only One is another good one.

Great songs are timeless r43.

by Anonymousreply 5506/27/2013

I disagree, R53. She makes Mellencamp look like Dylan in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 5606/27/2013

She looks good here

by Anonymousreply 5706/27/2013

Forget her awards for music, her relationship track record is what counts. No nominations for that record.

by Anonymousreply 5806/27/2013

Stop kidding yourself. She's an ugly frau. All that money and the best she ever looked was "not as bad as I expected".

Hilarious that these femme dykes like Anderson and Hunt were so into the neo-folk singer crap she had going that they let her go to town on them in bed.

by Anonymousreply 5906/27/2013

And why is that r58?

Do we also negate Martina's Wimbledon wins?

by Anonymousreply 6006/27/2013

What I meant to say was that, for this thread, we're talking about her relationship track record, jumping the gun as soon as DOMA was defeated. For the same reason we're mocking Rush Limbaugh's sudden respect for decency and tradition when he's a marriage failure.

by Anonymousreply 6106/27/2013

Her autobiography was a good read. It covers the sexual molestation she endured at the hands of her own sister, her distant relationship with her mother, her time as a child singing in bars while her father would accompany her, her brief time in college, her adventure driving out to LA to "make it", her many (MANY) relationships with women once she got to LA, her audition for a role on the series "Fame" (which she lost to Janet Jackson), the Julie Cypher years (including how they "conceived") and it all leads up to when she finally made it big. She even talks about her close circle of lesbian Hollywood friends, including Ellen, KD and Rosie. She could probably write a second volume from where that one left off, what with the Oscar win, the cancer, and these latest relationships and marriages.

by Anonymousreply 6206/27/2013

Does she come across as an interesting person, someone with a sense of humor, or what re personality, R62?

by Anonymousreply 6306/27/2013

R63, to me she came across as very introspective. There is some humor in their, and her way with women is...shall we say...admirable. She's better at wooing than some dudes I know.

by Anonymousreply 6406/27/2013

Hmmmm, does she provide much detail about the many seductions and conquests?

If so, I might have to buy the bk.

by Anonymousreply 6506/27/2013

Uh, no, she came off as self-absorbed and not very bright.

I always liked someone's description of her songs as "Music to Stalk By."

by Anonymousreply 6706/27/2013

R66 She sounds like real sleazy trash.

by Anonymousreply 6806/27/2013

Melissa's performance of Joplin's "Piece of My Heart" at the Grammys when she was still bald from chemo was a wonderful, inspirational moment. R&B singer India.Arie based a line in her song "I Am Not My Hair" on that performance.

by Anonymousreply 6906/27/2013

She's gotten so annoying over the years. But I admire her.

by Anonymousreply 7006/27/2013

Etheridge used to be great in concert, before she started screeching and yelling instead of singing. She's always been rough on her women, she snowed Tammy Lynn something terrible, especially after the way she treated Julie. She's probably got the next one picked out; this relationship with Wallem can only end in tears (Wallem's).

by Anonymousreply 7106/27/2013

I think I'm buying the bk because I love to see how others get women.

Maybe I'll pick up a pointer or two.

by Anonymousreply 7206/27/2013

I'm amazed she has any money left after all the alimony and child support. She's not exactly a big draw anymore.

by Anonymousreply 7306/28/2013

This soon to be wife of hers seems kinda pathetic. Didn't she say somewhere that she'd been in love (god knows why) with ME for years and finally ME noticed her?

by Anonymousreply 7406/28/2013

[quote] I'm amazed she has any money left after all the alimony and child support.

Isn't that one of the reasons for her douchery - her refusal or at least great reluctance to pay support

by Anonymousreply 7506/28/2013

"I think I'm buying the bk because I love to see how others get women.

Maybe I'll pick up a pointer or two."

Fame is a great aphrodisiac. A lot of these women wouldn't have slept with her otherwise ...

by Anonymousreply 7706/28/2013

I am sure it has been said, but honestly she is a terrible role model for gay men and women and marriage equality.

This does not make her an evil human being or without talent. She's just a shit.

She is a womanizer and a fraud. Terribly unethical and opportunistic. The timbre of her voice lends her a sensitivity and aura of depth that she does not possess as a person. I know this to be true.

by Anonymousreply 7806/28/2013

Is she married to cancer?

by Anonymousreply 7906/28/2013

Hopefully Karen, anything to shut her up.

by Anonymousreply 8006/28/2013

Who the fuck cares? She's ugly as sin, dumb as a road cone, and utterly talentless. She made me recoil in my own sexuality when I was in my teens. I've met her several times and she's trailer trash.

by Anonymousreply 8206/28/2013

(a) who cares. stop making everything about you.

(b) who would want to be married to that? Or even date her? Jaysus. What does this woman have to offer? She seems like a huge moron and she's just gross in her demeanor and looks.

by Anonymousreply 8306/28/2013

Is she still making shitty music

by Anonymousreply 8503/07/2015
Need more help? Click Here.