Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Race and Gay Marriage

I am happy, and not very surprised, by the Court ruling on DOMA and Prop 8. I am very surprised , and very unhappy, about the Court ruining the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

That said I am surprised that so many gays are so happy about one ruling and not dismayed by the other. Without oversight many Southern states will change the geography of voting so much that many gays will never see marriage legal in those states. It will be a sexual segregation of the highest order. And in the end the Court didn't transfer the rights promised in Loving v.Virginia to gays. And as long as the Court remains the same gay marriage will never be a Constitutional right.

As a gay man I am happy- but as a man of color I see a Court that is either afraid to tackle questions of racial inequality that still exist in this country or wants to deny my rights by chipping away at them link by link.

We are all affected when rights are unbalanced. It's true for gays, women, blacks, Jews. When one minority is oppressed we are all in danger of the same oppression .

Ok I spoke my peace.

by Anonymousreply 806/27/2013

Bump I was saying something similar OP why did the court decide to hear the voters rights legislation arguments?? Of all the cases they get to choose from they picked that? They gave DOMA to the Dems and killing voter rights to the GOP, since the GOP will no longer get the big votes they are used too. Feels like a well orchestrated dog and pony show to appease both sides.

by Anonymousreply 106/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 206/27/2013

Disenfranchising blacks will make it harder to pass/easier to strike down anti-gay legislation. That's the sad truth, and probably why the gays have been so silent of the VRA repeal.

by Anonymousreply 306/27/2013

ER3 - every major LGBT rights group you can think of issued statements denouncing the ruling.

by Anonymousreply 406/27/2013

Are you fucking serious, R3?

Most of the states that still look at gays as not worthy of equality are not simply white, but LILY WHITE.

WTF is wrong with you? All of these people who lead the anti-gay movement couldn't be whiter. The bigger problem is white gays who can't handle the truth.

This is from 1996... and you should be ashamed of yourself:

by Anonymousreply 506/27/2013

They can redistrict the gay vote away, if they want.

by Anonymousreply 606/27/2013

I texted my ex this: great week for gays, horrible week for poor minorities.

I think many feel this way, OP. I'm sickened by the Voting Rights rulings.

by Anonymousreply 706/27/2013

OP who says gays aren't concerned and appalled with the rulings? That is just your assumption based on absolutely no evidence.

We celebrated our victory today but in almost every speech and interview I heard a point was made that this is still a conservative SCOTUS that has made some awful decisions.

by Anonymousreply 806/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!