Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Prostate Question

A friend had a PSA of 6.5 six months ago. Yesterday his doctor called to say it's now 8.5 and wants to do a biopsy. Another friend tells him having a biopsy can make the problem worse. Anyone have experience with this problem?

by Anonymousreply 1204/26/2014

If only I'd gotten mine checked.

by Anonymousreply 106/26/2013

Don't get medical advice from DL.

by Anonymousreply 206/26/2013

Please realize that you should not ejaculate 48 hours BEFORE a PSA test. I had to find that out the hard way. My numbers were up

by Anonymousreply 306/26/2013

Biopsies can be dangerous. Urologists who still use this procedure haven't learned anything since medical school. Today, the Multi Parametric MRI is used to determine if there is a high or low grade cancer. And the patient doesn't have to take needles up the ass.

by Anonymousreply 406/28/2013

It means he has in$urance.

by Anonymousreply 506/28/2013

I went through a biopsy. Terrifying and painful.

by Anonymousreply 607/18/2013

My doctor has told me than not even yearly PSA's are a good idea anymore. As prostate cancer seems to be a very slow growing type(even though there are some that can be very fast) Supposedly higher results will make men want to jump to surgery or other therapies to try and eliminate what they consider a cancerous, or pre-cancerous decision.But as a man ages, his PSA goes up, regardless. My PSA was @ 2.5 last September, and will have another this September. If it's up, like doubled, what do I do? Stock up on canned asparagus?

by Anonymousreply 707/18/2013

Also depends on AGE. 8.5 in an 80 year old is a lot less significant than 8.5 in a 40 year old.

by Anonymousreply 907/18/2013

Urologist who performed my biopsy (and an old boyfriend to boot) forgot to prescribe Cipro and 3 days later I had a septic infection, 103 degree fever and convulsive chills. Almost killed me and when he called me back drunk, he said this is the first time in 18 years he forgot to prescribe an antibiotic because "we were talking so much". Needless to say, he didn't take my cancerous prostate out.

by Anonymousreply 1007/18/2013

Bravo, R2. And your link was quite helpful.

OP, your friend should consult trusted physicians, rather than the internet or some other friend who tells him that biopsies exacerbate cancer. Knowledge does not make things worse.

Prostate biopsies are unquestionably unpleasant. Mine was the worst part of my experience with cancer, but it led to very early discovery and treatment. Many years later, I am apparently cancer free (undetectable PSA), and neither incontinent nor impotent. Had I waited, I might have had the same experience as my late grandfather. Or my late father. Or my late brother.

by Anonymousreply 1107/18/2013

MY PSA was very high. Doctor gave me Keflex for 2 weeks and then it was down to a normal range. He stressed that YOU MUST NOT EJACULATE 3 DAYS BEFORE THE BLOOD TEST. It was hard for me as I usually nut daily

by Anonymousreply 1204/26/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!