Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

DOMA is dead to me ... DEAD TO ME!

The silence from Bill Clinton this morning is deafening.

by Anonymousreply 1606/30/2013

If Clinton hadn't offered up DOMA, there'd be a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

by Anonymousreply 106/26/2013

OP, you're a moron AND a liar.

Clinton wrote today, "...We applaud the hard work of the advocates who have fought so relentlessly for this day, and congratulate Edie Windsor on her historic victory."

by Anonymousreply 306/26/2013

Yes it is true, r2. The political climate about gay marriage was extremely different then.

by Anonymousreply 406/26/2013

The "shameful" Clinton legacy...

When people had good jobs, prosperity and peace.

by Anonymousreply 706/26/2013

I just wanted to say congratulations and best wishes for all of you in DL. Even if you do not choose to marry, this historic day will insure an overall guarantee of being given all of your civil rights finally. May the "I do's" commence!!!

by Anonymousreply 806/26/2013

Peace and prosperity is never enough for the haters.

by Anonymousreply 1106/26/2013

There would have been no constitutional amendment to prevent gay marriage. Clinton signed DOMA to help ensure reelection. As with DADT, no step in any direction on his part (except fucking around with an intern, the asshole) was ever made without his personal political goals in mind. He always has been a narrowly fixed politician, for all his bullshit. Still, his political leanings once his own ass was considered out of the target range align with what most sensible people consider right.

Were we better off that he was elected? Yes.

Are we better off now with Obama? Yes. But more as a consequence of societal change than anything else.

God bless the legislatures of every state that considered this issue - gay rights/marriage rights - and agreed in the need for equality.

Despite the smarmy language - or supportive language, if you will - the Supreme Court continues to try to toss critical issues back to the states. Except where Republican interests - corporate rights, Bush's election, black civil rights - are concerned. THEN they are total federalists.

Elect Clinton in 2016 to ensure the court changes and that we don't lose ground. Scalia looks sick, Ginsburg is retiring, Breyer isn't getting younger, and with any luck Thomas, Alito, and the CJ give each other something terrible.

by Anonymousreply 1306/26/2013

NAFTA was given to us by * Bush Sr.* Clinton got it passed.

It's was a bipartisan effort, like the failure to control immigration.

Generally though I think the need for 'globalization' has been largely an issue pushed by the conservative shits.

Clinton, generally considered a centrist, probably adopted NAFTA as much for political advanatage (it was easier and more effective to adopt it than to fight it), as for any other reason.

It is interesting to watch politicians blaming the other side for globalization, while simultaneously arguing how necessary it is...

by Anonymousreply 1406/26/2013

I understand why some are concerned about backlash and even the horror of some token hate crimes. But as a straight woman, I have heard absolutely NO ONE who doesn't believe this time has come for good reason. And I mean even conservatives. Please be happy in this moment! The majority country, as fucked up as it can be, always roots for those who are wronged in the end. I can already hear Fundie politicians thinking with sweaty brows about how being on the :wrong side of history" will mean the eventual end of their careers. I saw this first hand with civil rights for Blacks. My dad had a letter from a powerful Repug Georgia Governor who had high and not unreasonable hopes for a presidential nomination in his future. My father had possession of a letter from his office on state of Ga. stationary(he was Lt. Gov at the time) in which he used very inappropriate language and opinions of Blacks, and he was praising the Gov. Lester Maddox who may be one of the most racist politicos of all time. Dad, let him know that the letter was going to find its way to the right people if he continued to push for the nom in the state primary.

People's vile speech and hatred will always burn their asses in the end. Those such as Rick Santorum know they are finished, and that is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 1506/26/2013

If you want to elect a Democrat in 2016 that would be good for the gays, elect the courageous Newsom, not the ineffective, Bush supporting Hillarity Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 1606/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!