Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Popcorn ceilings

Just bought a duplex, circa 1963 - has the cottage cheese overhead, and not allowed to remove it, per city code, because of asbestos. Any suggestions from anyone with a great decorating eye ?

by Anonymousreply 2306/27/2013

Who decorates a ceiling? For fuck's sake, who cares about a ceiling?

by Anonymousreply 106/26/2013

Wear a respirator, scrape it off yourself, put it in garbage bags, throw the garbage bags in someone else's dumpster, don't tell the city what you did.

by Anonymousreply 206/26/2013

Leonardo DiCaprio for one r1. He's famous for his ceiling paintings.

by Anonymousreply 306/26/2013

can someone tell me why those fucking ceilings are popular in NYC? And they always seemed to be in the most expensive bldgs I lived in. Hate them.

by Anonymousreply 406/26/2013

Re painting a neutral color, or trying to hide them with a dark color ? And going with mid-century furnishings , or ignoring the bldg. pedigree, and going more traditional ?

by Anonymousreply 506/26/2013

Who would buy a place know there was asbestos in the ceiling?

Not the sharpest tool in the shed OP.

by Anonymousreply 606/26/2013

Is there really asbestos in popcorn ceilings?

by Anonymousreply 706/26/2013

Oh honey, wake up ! Most pre-70's bldgs. have it. The deal is, its supposed to be harmless UNLESS it's fooled with, i.e. , scraped, or removed. Anyone doing it should be wearing a heavy duty air -mask, gloves, and protective clothing. It's dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 806/26/2013

I think it is actually vermiculite mixed with a binder like paint and gypsum and sprayed on the ceiling.... it was both soundproofing and fire resistant. I know it is greatly hated, but I actually don't mind it all that much.... as for the asbestos here is the story-

"Vermiculite is a material that when heated expands (much like popcorn) used as a soil amendment, loose fill insulation in attics and other building uses. Prior to 1990, most vermiculite came from a mine in Montana. The mine contained asbestos, which contaminated the vermiculite. Inhaling asbestos fibers can cause lung disease or cancer."

by Anonymousreply 906/26/2013

RE 9 Thank you. First time anyone has ever explained that connection. To me, they just scream 'mid-60's. So re decorating OP, I'd say go mid-century / modern. The ceilings will integrate with the room better than if you try and put traditional furniture in there . My granny has popcorn, and she has all this old antique furniture in her apt. Just looks kookie and out of place.

by Anonymousreply 1006/26/2013

1. Lay out dropcloths 2. Spray popcorn with water. You can use a handheld sprayer, not a pressure washer. Just get it very wet. 3. With a lang-handled scraper, bring that shit down! 4. Repair where needed, repaint, and re-rent. 5. Don't go blabbing about what you're doing, down at your local Homo Depot.

by Anonymousreply 1206/26/2013

[quote]Leonardo DiCaprio for one [R1]. He's famous for his ceiling paintings.

PLEASE tell me this was a joke?

by Anonymousreply 1306/26/2013

OP, I had it in my rental.

Sometimes it's called "popcorn ceiling."

I hired two guys who covered it with a thin layer of plaster. They said it's better not to scrape it, because the plaster sticks better to a rough surface.

by Anonymousreply 1406/26/2013

Could you put sheet rock or gem board over it? Not sure any arm in that other than it being a pain in the butt

by Anonymousreply 1506/26/2013

R14 has the best solution, I had the same thing and got someone in to skim plaster the ceilings and it looked great. Much easier and cheaper and a lot safer than wetting a ceiling then poking at it with a stick.

by Anonymousreply 1606/26/2013

Perhaps there's a chance the popcorn ceiling application was applied in say, the past 20-30 years (post asbestos usage) to hide cracks and blemishes in the ceiling. Just a thought to take into consideration. I've seen it done in apartments in the past.

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2013

[quote]Sometimes it's called "popcorn ceiling."

Like that time the OP called it that?

by Anonymousreply 1806/26/2013

Maybe you can put ceiling tiles over them

by Anonymousreply 1906/26/2013

I'd leave it alone - don't remove it.

If the lines of the home are mid-century, just embrace it. Some people even get the spray paint that deposits little gold flecks to accentuate the midcent vibe.

by Anonymousreply 2006/26/2013

DO NOT disturb the popcorn. A friend did this in his house (removal by scraping) and it was a huge mess, and took forever. He was very pleased with himself, and the after effect of a smooth ceiling. Then, a year later, he began having breathing problems, and wheezing . A Dr. old him his lungs were very damaged. Never smoked, & led healthy lifestyle. Coincidence ? My friend thinks not. He swears it was due to the popcorn removal.

by Anonymousreply 2106/27/2013

It's in my apartment. One night, lying in bed after turning the lights out, a galaxy of stars began to shimmer on the ceiling. A closer inspection revealed that a previous tenant had stuck hundreds of tiny bits of that glow in the dark stuff on it.

by Anonymousreply 2206/27/2013

r20 is correct. I recall our home having these ceilings installed as a child and there was a special machine to spray the gold onto the wet ceiling in a random way.

At the time, it was cutting edge.

Styles and trends change.

by Anonymousreply 2306/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!