Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Popcorn ceilings

Just bought a duplex, circa 1963 - has the cottage cheese overhead, and not allowed to remove it, per city code, because of asbestos. Any suggestions from anyone with a great decorating eye ?

by Anonymousreply 2306/27/2013

Who decorates a ceiling? For fuck's sake, who cares about a ceiling?

by Anonymousreply 106/26/2013

Wear a respirator, scrape it off yourself, put it in garbage bags, throw the garbage bags in someone else's dumpster, don't tell the city what you did.

by Anonymousreply 206/26/2013

Leonardo DiCaprio for one r1. He's famous for his ceiling paintings.

by Anonymousreply 306/26/2013

can someone tell me why those fucking ceilings are popular in NYC? And they always seemed to be in the most expensive bldgs I lived in. Hate them.

by Anonymousreply 406/26/2013

Re painting a neutral color, or trying to hide them with a dark color ? And going with mid-century furnishings , or ignoring the bldg. pedigree, and going more traditional ?

by Anonymousreply 506/26/2013

Who would buy a place know there was asbestos in the ceiling?

Not the sharpest tool in the shed OP.

by Anonymousreply 606/26/2013

Is there really asbestos in popcorn ceilings?

by Anonymousreply 706/26/2013

Oh honey, wake up ! Most pre-70's bldgs. have it. The deal is, its supposed to be harmless UNLESS it's fooled with, i.e. , scraped, or removed. Anyone doing it should be wearing a heavy duty air -mask, gloves, and protective clothing. It's dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 806/26/2013

I think it is actually vermiculite mixed with a binder like paint and gypsum and sprayed on the ceiling.... it was both soundproofing and fire resistant. I know it is greatly hated, but I actually don't mind it all that much.... as for the asbestos here is the story-

"Vermiculite is a material that when heated expands (much like popcorn) used as a soil amendment, loose fill insulation in attics and other building uses. Prior to 1990, most vermiculite came from a mine in Montana. The mine contained asbestos, which contaminated the vermiculite. Inhaling asbestos fibers can cause lung disease or cancer."

by Anonymousreply 906/26/2013

RE 9 Thank you. First time anyone has ever explained that connection. To me, they just scream 'mid-60's. So re decorating OP, I'd say go mid-century / modern. The ceilings will integrate with the room better than if you try and put traditional furniture in there . My granny has popcorn, and she has all this old antique furniture in her apt. Just looks kookie and out of place.

by Anonymousreply 1006/26/2013

1. Lay out dropcloths 2. Spray popcorn with water. You can use a handheld sprayer, not a pressure washer. Just get it very wet. 3. With a lang-handled scraper, bring that shit down! 4. Repair where needed, repaint, and re-rent. 5. Don't go blabbing about what you're doing, down at your local Homo Depot.

by Anonymousreply 1206/26/2013

[quote]Leonardo DiCaprio for one [R1]. He's famous for his ceiling paintings.

PLEASE tell me this was a joke?

by Anonymousreply 1306/26/2013

OP, I had it in my rental.

Sometimes it's called "popcorn ceiling."

I hired two guys who covered it with a thin layer of plaster. They said it's better not to scrape it, because the plaster sticks better to a rough surface.

by Anonymousreply 1406/26/2013

Could you put sheet rock or gem board over it? Not sure any arm in that other than it being a pain in the butt

by Anonymousreply 1506/26/2013

R14 has the best solution, I had the same thing and got someone in to skim plaster the ceilings and it looked great. Much easier and cheaper and a lot safer than wetting a ceiling then poking at it with a stick.

by Anonymousreply 1606/26/2013

Perhaps there's a chance the popcorn ceiling application was applied in say, the past 20-30 years (post asbestos usage) to hide cracks and blemishes in the ceiling. Just a thought to take into consideration. I've seen it done in apartments in the past.

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2013

[quote]Sometimes it's called "popcorn ceiling."

Like that time the OP called it that?

by Anonymousreply 1806/26/2013

Maybe you can put ceiling tiles over them

by Anonymousreply 1906/26/2013

I'd leave it alone - don't remove it.

If the lines of the home are mid-century, just embrace it. Some people even get the spray paint that deposits little gold flecks to accentuate the midcent vibe.

by Anonymousreply 2006/26/2013

DO NOT disturb the popcorn. A friend did this in his house (removal by scraping) and it was a huge mess, and took forever. He was very pleased with himself, and the after effect of a smooth ceiling. Then, a year later, he began having breathing problems, and wheezing . A Dr. old him his lungs were very damaged. Never smoked, & led healthy lifestyle. Coincidence ? My friend thinks not. He swears it was due to the popcorn removal.

by Anonymousreply 2106/27/2013

It's in my apartment. One night, lying in bed after turning the lights out, a galaxy of stars began to shimmer on the ceiling. A closer inspection revealed that a previous tenant had stuck hundreds of tiny bits of that glow in the dark stuff on it.

by Anonymousreply 2206/27/2013

r20 is correct. I recall our home having these ceilings installed as a child and there was a special machine to spray the gold onto the wet ceiling in a random way.

At the time, it was cutting edge.

Styles and trends change.

by Anonymousreply 2306/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.