Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

NBC has episode 1 up on its website. Holy shit! It's really good!

by Anonymousreply 3707/11/2013

Very good.

I wonder if a couple of the contestants aren't actors.

by Anonymousreply 106/25/2013

This summer seems to have a lot of intriguing things to watch. I don't recall the last few summers being any fun at all.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2013

Hadn't even heard of this program. I might watch the premiere episode later this week.

But I'm confused. Is a scripted show about a reality competition? It looks like it's set up to look like a Survivor-type real reality show, but that things go wrong and the people are put in actual danger.

Is that a close description?

by Anonymousreply 306/26/2013

It's scripted but it's done EXTREMELY well. A lot of people won't realize it's not a reality show until the shit hits the fan.

by Anonymousreply 406/26/2013

I've known since I found out about it, R4.

More important, why did NBC have to pick the one timeslot available all week to run it opposite UNDER THE DOME?

by Anonymousreply 506/26/2013

It's also available to watch in the NBC app for iPhone and iPad. Where the video would be on the desktop version of is a link that opens the app right to the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 606/26/2013

What was going on in that scene where dude gives them all berries? It was really awkward.

by Anonymousreply 706/26/2013

Well, after Animal Planet fooled people with fucking mermaids, I'm sure this will stump a lot of viewers.

by Anonymousreply 806/26/2013

"No rules" means the producers are free to fuck with the contestants as much as they want. The woman who was at the camp first was transported by the producers. The animal sounds were fake. The "accident" was staged. I bet those mushrooms aren't poisonous raw.

Does anyone believe they filmed a reality show in which a contestant was killed and kept that out of the media? Does anyone think a contest would continue after that?

They are also free to fuck with with the audience which means some or all of the contestants are actors. It did seem a little off somehow, didn't it? Much more interesting if only some of them are actors. Do you think any of them are actual contestants?

That said--well done.

by Anonymousreply 907/05/2013

oops Just saw R4. Where's the fun it it's known in advance to be a scripted show?

by Anonymousreply 1007/05/2013

Now I understand why NBC is also showing that wilderness survival reality show with Bear Grylls. It seemed odd that they'd run two such similar shows at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 1107/05/2013

Just saw it. Really well-done. Those writers really know their reality show tropes.

by Anonymousreply 1207/05/2013

I don't get the idea of a scripted drama about a reality show. The entire of idea of what makes reality shows interesting is the moment when you wonder if you are seeing something unusually revealing about an actual person in unusual circumstances, something that ordinary circumstances and surveillance can't or don't happen to capture.

Scripting this a drama just makes it meaningless. Is is never the plot or cast of archetypal characters of reality shows that is dramatic. The drama here is not just utterly false, it literally has nothing to say.

We don't watch reality shows expecting good acting. We watch them expecting the unexpected, looking for the moment that the participants reveal something about themselves that isn't about a script or a character, or a set of circumstances that was planned or anticipated, for that matter. A good reality series isn't about casting or plot - it's about how well it convinces us it's a kind of social experiment, rather than requiring us to suspend disbelief from the very moment the curtain rises.

Maybe I just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 1307/05/2013

The only thing it was missing was one of the contestants smirking at the camera and declaring, "I'm not here to make friends!"

by Anonymousreply 1407/05/2013

I had an idea for a reality show. It would be like Survivor except even more intense. Make an actual labor camp, barbed wire, wooden unheated barracks, limited access to toilets, one lump of bread and some watery soup, standing at attention for hours. Guard towers, freezing cold weather. There would be challenges for food, or maybe an extra blanket. I think it would be interesting. People will do the craziest shit for a prize, as we've seen in the last decade of reality shows.

by Anonymousreply 1507/05/2013

I liked it, and I enjoyed the subtext -- which is that "real" reality shows are just as scripted as this fake reality show.

by Anonymousreply 1607/05/2013

Sorry, I only go in for 100% true reality shows. Like THE BIBLE on The History Channel.

by Anonymousreply 1707/05/2013

R15 - there's a classic episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Colby Donaldson from season 2 (?) of CBS's survivor meets a Holocaust survivor .

by Anonymousreply 1807/05/2013

Spoilers below . . . . .

OK, it is a scripted TV show about a fictional reality show that is being held in Sibera. There are no rules, no one gets voted out and the survivors get to split $500,000.

People can choose to leave, so it would behoove people to harass other contestants into leaving. This promises to be a gruesome exercise in people being awful to each other.

In the first episode a contestant gets killed by something mysterious in the woods.

The show is a cross between Survivor and Lost.

I never liked that Lost had no real answers...ths looks to be the same.

by Anonymousreply 1907/05/2013

This one won't catch on. Too many generic types and not enough male eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 2007/05/2013

Is Johnny Wactor not hot enough, R20?

by Anonymousreply 2107/05/2013

It's "Survivor" meets "The Blair Witch Project"!!!

by Anonymousreply 2207/06/2013

I agree, R13. Perhaps it will work as drama in the guise of a reality show.

by Anonymousreply 2307/06/2013

"We don't watch reality shows expecting good acting. We watch them expecting the unexpected, looking for the moment that the participants reveal something about themselves that isn't about a script or a character, or a set of circumstances that was planned or anticipated, for that matter.

It's cute that you think expecting the unexpected is a possibility on reality TV. Are you by any chance a fan of Julie Chen? I hear there's a possibility she will have another facial expression this year.

by Anonymousreply 2407/06/2013

It's as 'real' as the Catfish show.

Seriously though, they had a cameraman injured by an attack they can't explain, and the contestant that guy was filming is missing. Is there anyone that believes that under those circumstances the show would give players the option that they can either quit or stay and play at their own risk?

Anyone who believes it's a reality show beyond that point deserves to be fooled.

by Anonymousreply 2507/06/2013

I can't believe they don't have a medic on this show! But I guess that's the on Y way to get people to voluntarily quit.

They need some competitions. They just sit around all day.

by Anonymousreply 2607/09/2013

The kid with the twisted ankle sure recovered awfully fast.

by Anonymousreply 2707/09/2013

If it is scripted and the contestants are not privy to the script then it works for me.

I have a thing for the tall wiry dark haired olive skinned guy. Seems like he is from Monte Negro.

by Anonymousreply 2807/09/2013

What would be the point of having a script if you don't show it to the actors?

by Anonymousreply 2907/09/2013

Like a Christopher Guest movie? Mostly improv?

by Anonymousreply 3007/09/2013

I think it's an interesting television experiment, and found the pilot episode engaging enough. I see it as more a cross between Survivor and Hunger Games than Survivor and Lost.

Inevitably, some viewers will completely miss that the whole thing is scripted, and will believe that the accidents, fatalities, and bad behavior are all real. It's already happened with that stupid ABC murder whodunnit contest, which is far more transparently "fake" than Siberia.

As far as eye candy, I'm plenty well taken care of with the hunky host.

I have no idea whether the series will be terrific or awful, and even if it is good I am not sure it would be repeatable for a Season 2. For now, I would give the premiere a B+ and keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 3107/10/2013

[quote]Does anyone believe they filmed a reality show in which a contestant was killed and kept that out of the media? Does anyone think a contest would continue after that?

People all over Facebook and Twitter thought the producers of ABC's "Whodunnit?" were actually killing contestants.

by Anonymousreply 3207/10/2013

I like R15's idea...a reality show built around a concentration camp motif. Instead of being sent home, those who are voted off get burned at the stake.

by Anonymousreply 3307/10/2013

Just watched the second episode, and I think I'm through with the show.

I thought the concept of making the audience think that it was a legit reality competition show gone wrong would be interesting, but now that has actually taken me out of enjoying the show.

There is no way to take the 'contestants' seriously now. One of their own was massacred in the woods near their cabin and the cameraman filming him was also wounded in the mysterious attack.

But they are supposed to believe that not only will the production not explain to the rest what happened, but they say "legal liability be damned" and want to continue filming their show?

No way. Now way can I continue to watch people continue to go through the motions of the game like everything is kosher. The talking to the camera as if that situation would ever be allowed to continue is what takes me away from accepting this premise.

It might be a better sell if they somehow wiped out the production team (except the camera people) and made it like these dopes are now legitimately abandoned in the wilderness and fighting for survival - while the cameramen are still their filming in case they ever get rescued. Something like that would be at least partially believable.

by Anonymousreply 3407/10/2013

Of course this shit is scripted lol. 1 of the contestants, Joyce Giraud, is the newest cast member of the upcoming season of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 3507/10/2013

I didn't even make it through the second episode before quitting. The entire premise is flawed. Fake reality is never convincing and is boring.

by Anonymousreply 3607/11/2013

"If it is scripted and the contestants are not privy to the script then it works for me."

How could the 'contestants' not see/read/rehearse the script if they never saw it?

You 'reality' show addicts are the stupidest people of all.

Of course, it's scripted, you imbeciles! It's completely scripted like a play.

The other shows are heavily 'scripted,' i.e. the 'contestants' are told to play up drama and inane conflict.

Now, if only more 'real' reality shows also included actual fatalities, THAT would be progress.

Even better: a show that somehow made stupid shithead viewers like you people DIE.

by Anonymousreply 3707/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!