Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone hated high school?

I burned all my books, notes, year books in a self-made fire. God I hated that wretched place. I hope to wipe every trace of it.

by Anonymousreply 5007/02/2013

Yes lots of people hated high school, obviously.

And I burned my year books too, literally burned them as you did. My jr. high yearbooks, I never bought the yearbooks in high school. And jr. high was worse for me anyway.

Another thing I did is crank call people I hated in school. This was around 1990 right before caller ID was introduced. I'd call them in the middle of night just to wake them up, I didn't say anything. I called one guy twice on Christmas morning. The fool should've left the phone off the hook.

by Anonymousreply 106/25/2013

Yes, but more because of teachers than students.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2013

Could not wait for it to end. Refuse all the reunion request because if I didn't like you or you like me then we aren't going to like each other now.

by Anonymousreply 306/25/2013

Your asking a group of largely gay guys if they hated highschool? Yes, obviously a lot of us did.

I feel very bad for people for whom highschool was the highlight of their life.

by Anonymousreply 406/25/2013

I hated Kindergarten - HS. I didn't love being in school until college.

by Anonymousreply 506/25/2013

I hated it all, k-12, College....

by Anonymousreply 606/25/2013

Hated it too OP. was made fun of. I never took my high school picture and never bought y year book. Hated that wretched place

by Anonymousreply 706/25/2013

R7 = "Photo Not Available"

by Anonymousreply 806/25/2013

They can all eat me.

by Anonymousreply 906/25/2013

What kind of high-school-hater had a yearbook?

You had to pay for those things, and I never ordered one. Even then I knew that once I was out of there I'd never miss it, never want to remember it, and never come back. I've literally never set foot on that campus again, even though I worked nearby for years.

by Anonymousreply 1106/25/2013

Wow, so many public school grads. Most public school alums are bitter about their experience and hated it.

by Anonymousreply 1206/25/2013

I went to a public high school, and loved it. Then again, it was the late 90's, and homophobia was starting to die a slow death. Believe it or not, "Will and Grace" made it easier to be gay in high school.

by Anonymousreply 1306/25/2013

Graduated in '81. I really liked school. Sorry your experiences were bad, OP (and others)

by Anonymousreply 1506/26/2013

I didn't hate high school. I wasn't bullied. But high school was extraordinarily stressful, and they were very difficult years.

Some of the stress I brought on myself. Some from my parents, some just because I didn't have many friends. I went to school in downtown Boston. I lived in the city but not downtown, and only a couple of guys from my neighborhood went to the same school as me. I loved being in town everyday, riding the subway, walking on the Common, but I did not like high school.

I attended an all boys private high school. I was self-conscious, studious but not overly so. I was not into sports; I just sort of like being alone or with maybe one friend. I just always felt I didn't belong there. But I had perfect attendance for 10 years of my 12 years of elementary and high school.

I came into my own in college; I thoroughly enjoyed college and graduate school. I would rather forget high school--and I have. Never kept anything from high school; did not stay in touch with anyone and never went to a high school reunion.

by Anonymousreply 1606/26/2013

I hated high school, but, just because I was an insecure mess. My high school was too big. 4000 students. there were so many students that I didn't know anyone sitting around me at graduation. I look thru my yearbook and I don't recognize anyone.

The 20 year reunion was weird, cuz I didn't know anyone I was talking to. (Weirdly, I found out I was popular-- I have no idea how that happened, nor did I know this while I was in high school. I wish I had known!)

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2013

Absolutely hated high school. Hated it so much I refused to go to the graduation ceremony and had them mail me my diploma. I was not going to spend one more second there than I had to.

by Anonymousreply 1806/26/2013

What the fuck kind of high schools did you people go to?

by Anonymousreply 1906/26/2013

I LOVED High School. Best 4 years of my life. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2006/26/2013

Fucking loathed it, teachers and students. :(

by Anonymousreply 2106/26/2013

I thought I loved high school. It wasn't until I was much much older that I realized how damaging those years had been. I also didn't recognize how vicious some of the other students had been until I viewed them through adult eyes.

My mother would clearly recognize backstabbing and other bad behavior in people and nicely try to warn me but I just didn't see it at the time. I thought everything was hunky dory for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 2206/26/2013

Hated it. The year after graduating I started getting panic attacks. I'm quite sure I was suffering post-traumatic stress disorder. Mary! I know but, honestly, I look back now from a much happier place and wonder why the teachers allowed all the bullying to carry on. Even when a fellow student was chased home by a mob of 15 year olds, had an asthma attack and died the teachers said and did nothing. There were 2 suicides in my final year and, again, nothing was said. Fucking awful place.

by Anonymousreply 2306/26/2013

Seriously, people. When you think of life in general after high school and college, it's pretty rough. Compared to the rest of your life, high school was a haven.

by Anonymousreply 2406/26/2013

"Compared to the rest of your life, high school was a haven."

Not true. I've been through a lot of drama as an adult, but it's all been easier to deal with than the high school misery. Of course my awful family caused more misery than the school, but overall my teen years were hellish.

IMHO that's because adults have better coping skills, and while kids are stuck with their families and schools, adults can walk out of bad relationships and find themselves new jobs. Kids can't do much to change their lives, adults can. Knowing you can do something about your problems really makes me appreciate adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 2506/26/2013

R25 is exactly right.

If an adult is treated at work the way kids are treated in school it would not be tolerated. The law would be called, and as R25 said, an adult can choose to leave.

by Anonymousreply 2606/26/2013

r25 Perfect point. Children have few outlets.

by Anonymousreply 2706/26/2013

I went to high school in a small town and, surprisingly, I didn't hate it. It was mildly pleasant. It was more just something to get through until my real life started.

I was quiet, shy, artsy, a little femme, and into punk and New Wave. I was picked on a little by a small group of guys, but it wasn't wide scale bullying. I got along well with just about everyone else. I had a nice group of friends that I'd hang out with and do stuff with on weekends. I guess I was kind of weird but I was also friendly, pleasant, funny, and relatively harmless. So most people liked me.

I didn't get involved in any extracurricular things. I basically just escaped after school as quickly as I could. But so did my friends, so it was fine.

by Anonymousreply 2806/26/2013

Yes and no.

by Anonymousreply 2906/30/2013

I wasn't out or anything, but I loved high school. I was a jock who was also smart. I had a lot of friends and fucked girls to keep my secret. I guess I was popular, because I had an ass load of friends. The only thing I regret was taking part in making fun of suspected gay kids. I would do anything to take that all back.

by Anonymousreply 3006/30/2013

Hated 9th and 10th grade; liked 11th and 12th. Loved graduation.

The whole point of high school for me was to do well and go to college and get the hell out of the small town I lived in.

I knew however much I hated the worst of it that it would end soon and life would get better. And it did.

by Anonymousreply 3106/30/2013

I went to nice schools with many excellent teachers, and I still hated it, especially 7th-12th grades. Graduating high school was the happiest day of my life.

by Anonymousreply 3206/30/2013

I started out hating parts of it -- I was bullied especially in 9th and 10th grades -- but ended up loving many other aspects of it.

by Anonymousreply 3306/30/2013

At first I liked the new experience, but by the end I grew to loathe it. Private school, teachers a mixed bag. I wasn't picked on, but felt pretty isolated by junior year.

by Anonymousreply 3407/01/2013

I think I know you big mess of cry babies, yes I do.

Do you know me? I was the quarterback, the center on the BB team, gymnastics captain, Senior Class President, Student Council 1,2,3,4 and winner of BOTH the Harvard book prize and music department award.

I went to Yale and then Brown law school. I still have all of my flaxen wheat colored hair, straight teeth and winning smile.

I made partner last year and have a summer house on Nantucket. My next door neighbor there is Martha Stewart. Two years ago I competed in the America's race and placed.

It must really suck being you. Really. BE SWEET!

by Anonymousreply 3507/01/2013

I didn't think Martha Stewart ever had a place on Nantucket?

by Anonymousreply 3607/01/2013

So R35 you're still in high school.

by Anonymousreply 3707/01/2013

High school was horrible, but AIDS was worse. Read this GAWKER piece about the early days of AIDS in the US:

by Anonymousreply 3807/01/2013

R30

You could call those people you made fun of for being gay, and actually apologize; I mean you don't even have to put in the effort-facebook/twitter

Just do it. Then you'd be a person I'd respect.

I'm sure those girls really appreciated being used. You might want to call those people as well.

by Anonymousreply 3907/01/2013

R35

An insecure mess calling out insecure mess'.

Keep striving for "success," Stepford child.

:D

by Anonymousreply 4007/01/2013

I loved it -- great friends, great teachers, great fun. I look back now and realize I dodged a bullet. Considering my quirks and fears and chubbiness, I should have been miserable. But mostly I was happy. It strikes me as odd, as it struck me then, that pretty, charming, funny girls practically lined up to date me. It must have been my indifference that attracted them, because I was thinking more about boys, who just wanted to be my friends. Still, I went out, and made out, with the girls and, frankly, enjoyed myself doing so. I was very lucky: a change in circumstances by a degree or two could have made my life hell, as it was for many people like me.

by Anonymousreply 4107/01/2013

I hated every second of high school. It was a living Hell. I was bullied constantly by nearly everyone. My twin was also bullied. They called us the f@ggot twins.

They would hit us with books (sometimes thrown from the back of the classroom or the other side) and jab us in the back with pencils.

They would threaten to rape us and would grab our butts or grab our crotches and try to fondle us.

It was so bizarre because they would call us the usual slurs and say that they hated us for being gay and that God hated us and we would go to Hell and then they would say sexual things to us and touch us.

It was very confusing at the time. Of course I now understand that it was all about demeaning and humiliating us.

They attached such a social stigma to us that no one would be friends with us. No one even wanted to be seen near the "f@ggot twins". We didn't eat lunch and just stood in the hall way during lunchtime. We couldn't go to the restroom during the school day either.

The bullies would call us f@g twins while talking to teachers and the principal and they didn't care.

One day my chemistry teacher went on a long rant about how she didn't approve of my lifestyle. I wasn't openly gay and didn't have any friends. I wanted to respond with "what lifestyle?". I didn't have a lifestyle. I wish that I had.

by Anonymousreply 4207/01/2013

Wow, that sucks, r42. Hope things have worked out for you (and your brother) in later years.

I didn't have a "lifestyle" back then either but was fortunate enough to fly under the radar more or less.

by Anonymousreply 4307/01/2013

Loved it - went to High School for the Performing Arts in Manhattan

by Anonymousreply 4407/01/2013

I loved high school. I grew up in a small, Leave-It-To-Beaver town in an era when children had a lot more freedom than kids do today. There wasn't much meanness or bullying in school. I had wonderful friends, several of whom I still keep in touch with.

by Anonymousreply 4507/01/2013

I know I'm going to get a "Mary!", but posts like R42's and the other bulling stories make be sad and depressed. But also angry.

by Anonymousreply 4607/01/2013

what is depressing is NOT the ignorance of some, but rather those who know better but don't have enough courage to bother...

how many of these gays were top of their class, and most liked--how many knew of their sexualities and hid them, and when they did, continued the status quo of picking on others and using homophobic remarks?

by Anonymousreply 4707/01/2013

I came out in HS and lost friends over it. Many of the straight guys who were always at least friendly to me began to act really strange around me. It was like they were leery of me; they were still somewhat friendly but distant. And this was in 2003. I wasn't bullied but I did experience homophobia ( ALOT of people calling me a faggot and turd burglar behind my back).Thank God we had a gay/straight alliance.

by Anonymousreply 4807/02/2013

r42 I am sorry to hear that. What years were you in high school.

by Anonymousreply 4907/02/2013

I did not hate high school, but I do not look at it as a very important period of my life.

And I have not been interested in attending any official high school reunions - unlike a lot of people who are interested in such things.

by Anonymousreply 5007/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.