Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Texas Senator Stands (Literally) Against Anti-Abortion Bill

Go 'head with your pink tennis shoes, Ms Davis!!

Bitch is fierce!

by Anonymousreply 7007/02/2013

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 106/25/2013

Here's a real hero for you.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2013

How does she do it? She's not allowed to stop and pee. I wonder if she's wearing an adult diaper. I bet she is.

by Anonymousreply 306/25/2013

Hope she runs for Governer

by Anonymousreply 406/25/2013

Texan here. My Facebook is EXPLODING with support for Sen. Wendy Davis right now, even though our evil lieutenant governor managed to end her filibuster (as of right now, the Dems are trying to keep it going till midnight with procedural points of order). Keeping in mind that a majority of Texas women are pro-choice (and 75% nationwide are pro-choice), I wouldn't rule out a gubernatorial run for Sen. Davis in the least. You do NOT fuck with Texas women and get away with it, as Ann Richards' first opponent for governor learned the hard way. (Unfortunately her second opponent was G.W. Bush, back when he was pretending to be a "moderate, compassionate conservative.")

by Anonymousreply 506/26/2013

Unbelievable. They cut off her filibuster because they ruled her reference to a bill requiring sonograms prior to having an abortion was not germane to the bill she was filibustering.

Sen Kirk Watson is protesting the motion to table.

Over 120,000 people watching.

by Anonymousreply 606/26/2013

Amazing. And Van De Putte is officially a legend.

by Anonymousreply 706/26/2013

Well, old white guys... I guess we women DO have ways of shutting things down.

by Anonymousreply 806/26/2013

Watching the Youtube link...I'm not sure what's going on right now. But it seems awesome.

by Anonymousreply 906/26/2013

This is crazy. I'm screaming at my computer along with the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 1006/26/2013

That piece of shit Dewhurst is trying to "change the rules" - CHEAT. He's vermin.

by Anonymousreply 1106/26/2013

[quote]Wayne Slater ‏@WayneSlater 1h

[quote]Here's the central point: LtGov Dewhurst decided to rule that talking about abortion in a filibuster about abortion wasn't relevant. #txlege

by Anonymousreply 1206/26/2013

I heard that legal challenges are already being filed. This is bad news for the Republicans - we here in Texas finally have the spark we need to take over in 2014, 2016, and beyond.

by Anonymousreply 1306/26/2013

Texas just nudged itself closer to turning blue! Fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 1406/26/2013

I came in to the live stream late, but it sounded like they were trying to do a roll call vote right before midnight. If that's the case, they didn't finish by 12:01, at least by my clock.

That crowd just might start ripping shit up if the Republicans try anything shady.

by Anonymousreply 1506/26/2013

[quote]Wayne Slater ‏@WayneSlater 2m

[quote]Could Ltgov Dewhurst have given a better visual for Dems to claim war on women than the chaos in Senate? Totally lost control #txlege

by Anonymousreply 1606/26/2013

whats happening

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2013

How long before Dewhurst rules they go by Hawaii time?

by Anonymousreply 1806/26/2013

Ahh I can't tell what's going on.My god this is going over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 1906/26/2013

Number of TV & Cable channels covering this? Zero.

With three channels of CSPAN, they still can't cover this?

Shameful.

Biggest news of the hour, and CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, ABC, CBS, NBC, & PBS are all AWOL.

by Anonymousreply 2006/26/2013

According to the YouTube comments, the Republicans are claiming they were allowed to vote after midnight because they "stopped the clock" due to the disruptive crowd. They made up that rule on the spot, so surely it won't hold up in court. On the other hand, it IS Texas....

Why the hell isn't ANYONE covering this live?

by Anonymousreply 2106/26/2013

I don't know if this is true, but some of the tweets are stating that scum Dewhurst took the vote AFTER midnight, but lying "Christian" conservatives claiming it was done @11:59. Disgusting.

Yeah, I'm sure all of this is about loving babies. Go adopt a child, you selfish fucking tools. This is about control, period.

by Anonymousreply 2206/26/2013

Believe it or not this is a victory win or lose...

Why?

because this event will turn Texas Blue sooner than we expected.

by Anonymousreply 2306/26/2013

[quote]AP: Reporters and Democrats saw voting begin after midnight, but Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said it began just before

How in the hell can anyone be proud of supporting the GOP? You only expose yourselves as lying, evil filth.

by Anonymousreply 2406/26/2013

Is Dewhurst unaware of the fact that thousands across the country were watching LIVE...and that we have access to clocks?

Thousands of Americans saw exactly what the Republicans stand for - win at the expense of integrity and democracy.

by Anonymousreply 2506/26/2013

Exactly, R25. This will make a great ad for every Democrat running for office in 2014 and 2016.

by Anonymousreply 2606/26/2013

I hope Dewhurst's office is inundated with digital watches, clocks, etc. all blinking 12:00.

by Anonymousreply 2706/26/2013

Lena Dunham tweeted her support!

by Anonymousreply 2806/26/2013

And here's what a dumbass TX politician tweeted (currently getting his ass handed to him):

by Anonymousreply 2906/26/2013

Filibuster:

Bathroom break are not allowed. Why? That seems barbaric and uncivilized.

You cannot even lean on your desk. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3006/26/2013

She's my new heroine.

by Anonymousreply 3106/26/2013

r20 what the hell are you talking about? Rachel Maddow has been on this since before any you even noticed. That's why I watch Rachel. She's always in front and then everyone else takes notice when they're forced to.

by Anonymousreply 3206/26/2013

I want to that the Senator and the protestors.

by Anonymousreply 3306/26/2013

r30 The hardest thing of all is you have to stay on topic and keep talking. The stopped her saying ultrasound was not on topic.

The physical and mental endurance needed to do what she did was amazing. I hope she could wear Depends.

We need the US Senate to make it 1/10 this difficult to filibuster and the lazy ass republicans could never do it on any consistent basis.

She is a hero.

by Anonymousreply 3406/26/2013

The Bill is dead!

by Anonymousreply 3506/26/2013

Hero or not, no one in Hollywood would make a movie about this.

by Anonymousreply 3606/26/2013

Fucking Republicans and their hate for women. When will they learn when women turn their fury against them they will finish them once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 3706/26/2013

LOVE her!!

by Anonymousreply 3806/26/2013

Post and share friends, post and share.

by Anonymousreply 3906/26/2013

What it the latest?

by Anonymousreply 4006/26/2013

Love Wendy!

by Anonymousreply 4106/26/2013

She's awesome. Shows what cowards most pols are!

by Anonymousreply 4206/26/2013

Wish I liked the name Wendy so I could name something after her.

by Anonymousreply 4306/26/2013

Thanks To The Supreme Court, Wendy Davis Will Probably Lose Her Senate Seat

by Anonymousreply 4406/26/2013

[quote]According to The Texas Tribune, Dewhurst was less than pleased by the evening's turn of events. After ruling that the time on SB 5 had expired, he told reporters that "an unruly mob using Occupy Wall Street tactics" had derailed legislation that was designed to protect women and babies.

Protect women and babies???

This is like a drunk driver screaming about protecting pedestrians.

by Anonymousreply 4506/26/2013

what a brave woman

by Anonymousreply 4606/26/2013

You really can't say enough how remarkable this woman is. Her story alone is incredible. Her mom who had her at 14 only had a 6th grade education. She had a kid, was married, and divorced by 19 and living in a trailer park. She wound up going Harvard Law School.

This wasn't her first filibuster. She's a real champion. She and the Castro bros. are a hope for TX.

by Anonymousreply 4706/26/2013

Great tweet I just read. Three things Texans don't understand 1) Women 2) Science 3) Clocks.

by Anonymousreply 4806/26/2013

I was just thinking the same thing, R43. Maybe I'll get somebody a pair of those shoes. Maybe I'll get MYSELF a pair of those shoes (what were they?).

by Anonymousreply 4906/26/2013

R47. let's not forget Sen. Letitia Van De Putte who had just come from her father's funeral.

The cheering never stopped after she did this:

by Anonymousreply 5006/26/2013

I don't know, R49, but I'll find a way.

by Anonymousreply 5106/26/2013

I think the past few days with the compressed sequence of events from the two set back decisions by the Supreme Court on affirmative action and voting rights and the increasing attack on a woman's right to choose as evidenced by the Texas legislature will galvanize people to do something to protect their futures and rights. Whew that's one long sentence. I get the sense from news coverage that this is a tipping point of sorts. Ican only hope. The incremental chipping away of rights is finally getting to the point where people realize they have to get off their asses.

by Anonymousreply 5206/26/2013

Her sneakers: Pink Mizuno Sneakers

by Anonymousreply 5306/26/2013

What can we do about voters rights? Here in the south, it is a serious problem.

by Anonymousreply 5406/26/2013

Adore her. I am rarely inspired by politicians, but Wendy Davis (and Letitia Van De Putte) had me riveted to the Texas Tribune coverage last night.

I turned on CNN to see if they would ever get to it, and Piers Morgan and Dr. Drew were discussing the calorie counts in Starbucks food -- and it was a RERUN.

by Anonymousreply 5506/26/2013

I thought when I turned it on after midnight, it was being discussed? Maybe that was ABC...or CBS? Whichever station has late night news? It may have been after 3?

by Anonymousreply 5606/26/2013

[quote]I turned on CNN to see if they would ever get to it, and Piers Morgan and Dr. Drew were discussing the calorie counts in Starbucks food -- and it was a RERUN.

Certainly makes you wonder WTF is the point of a 24-hour news channel if they're not actually covering news 24 hours...because I'm sure nothing else is going on in the world.

by Anonymousreply 5706/26/2013

[quote] What can we do about voters rights? Here in the south, it is a serious problem.

Volunteer. Make sure everyone who is eligible to vote is registered, has a photo ID (help them obtain one if they do not), and has a ride to the polls on election day in 2014.

by Anonymousreply 5806/26/2013

There is a huge groundswell around the voting rights issue because it's not only a racial bias at work here (which is bad enough) it's also against students and anyone that would most likely vote Democrat. The fucking shenanigans these assholes tried in the last election were so over the top that I'm sure the Supreme Court decision is just going to goose them to even lower depths. They can be defeated and I'm confident at this moment that they will.

by Anonymousreply 5906/26/2013

Here they are for sale. She's so cool.

by Anonymousreply 6006/26/2013

What some call an "an unruly mob" the rest of us call voters.

by Anonymousreply 6106/26/2013

Thank you to the "unruly mob!"

by Anonymousreply 6206/26/2013

R61, worse than mob:

[quote]Texas Republican calls pro-choice crowd ‘terrorist’

by Anonymousreply 6306/26/2013

Republicans have a real issue with that whole government of the people, by the people, for the people thing.

by Anonymousreply 6406/26/2013

Republicans have a real issue with that whole any people not like them thing.

by Anonymousreply 6506/26/2013

This made me so happy:

Some reporters, including those working for The Associated Press, checked the computer system to see what day the votes were registered.

When the votes first appeared, the date next to them read "6/26/2013." Moments later other reporters opened the same record and the date read "6/25/2013."

[bold]A reporter for The AP videoed his computer screen while refreshing the page, capturing the date changing from Wednesday to Tuesday.[/bold]

The date of the vote had changed.

Democratic senators protested. Senate officials refused to answer questions about the change.

(full story at link)

It's heartening to learn a modern-day reporter is actually working to find out the truth instead of merely reporting that there was a disagreement.

by Anonymousreply 6606/26/2013

[quote]A reporter for The AP videoed his computer screen while refreshing the page, capturing the date changing from Wednesday to Tuesday.

Superman helped us out!

by Anonymousreply 6706/26/2013

Could Wendy Davis be a latent lesbian? Just curious!

by Anonymousreply 6806/26/2013

Nah. She is the girlfriend of ex-Austin Mayor Will Wynn, also a liberal Dem.

I don't know if she'll make Governor, but she could well end up President. This woman has the most charisma of any politician since Obama. If out-of-a-job David Axelrod, Plouffe and Robert Gibbs have any sense, they are going to latch onto her star.

by Anonymousreply 6906/29/2013

A United Technologies/National Journal Congressional Connection poll released last Wednesday found the public almost evenly split on a 20-week ban: 48 percent of respondents said they would support legislation that banned “virtually all abortions nationwide after 20 weeks of pregnancy, except in cases of rape and incest that are reported to authorities.” Forty-four percent would oppose such a bill.

by Anonymousreply 7007/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.