Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I sometimes get tired of Hollywood

It's basically a bunch of "lucky" people. Seriously.

The most talented actors often don't make it. And that makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 6006/28/2013

It's a mix of hardwork, putting in the effort to make the right connections/networking, talent(talent including your look, cause yes that is part of the job) and luck.

Just like any other industry really. Why does this make you said?

by Anonymousreply 106/25/2013 makes OP sad. Awwwwwww.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2013

don't give up OP.

don't give in.

by Anonymousreply 306/25/2013

That's why I left.

If you want fulfilling life and real friends, walk away...

At the end of your life, when you're on your deathbed, Would you rather say "bring me babies".

"Bring me actor's reel of all my episodic guest spots"

The drive to succeed in hollywood is depressing and disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 406/26/2013

It never caught on in my mind, sorry, it's general the lowest common denominator

by Anonymousreply 506/26/2013

vomit, R4, that is the argument the idiots say to "artists" all the time. Talk about "frauen" -- and, by the way, it isn't either/or. Those of us in the biz love DOING it enough (whatever "it" is) to sacrifice some and make it happen. The pussies quit and go have babies and pretend that satisfies them. Yeah, right, keep telling yourself that.

by Anonymousreply 606/26/2013

It's clear that R6 is a sociopath, so naturally he's flourishing in the business. His sickness is given away by his response, in which he assumes having a family or walking away from the industry is a failure - huh???

He's spiritually sick. He'll hit a wall at some point. I probably know the asshole, too.

by Anonymousreply 706/26/2013

I agree OP. And it keeps getting worse and worse. The "talent" today is dire. This is why lately I've been finding myself watching more and more old movies lately rather than the new trash that they put out. I'm so bored with all the superhero and futuristic movies lately that rely on CGI instead of a good plot and good actors.

by Anonymousreply 806/26/2013

They are my friends. They keep me company when I'm feeling lonely in my mother's unfinished basement.

by Anonymousreply 906/26/2013

OP writes:

[bold]It's basically a bunch of "lucky" people. Seriously.

The most talented actors often don't make it. And that makes me sad.[/bold]

It's not about talent.

It can work out for some to be a combination of talent and box-office appeal.

It is about manufacturing box-office success.

The movies are now made for teenage and college males. It doesn't matter who the stars-of-the-moment are.

by Anonymousreply 1006/26/2013

No, [r6] the pussies don't quit... The enlightened do.

You're obviously in your 20's. You think every person you meet is your new best friend and that the endless cocktail party will go on forever. The sacrifice you "brag" about will become an anchor. The sporadic income will either put you in smaller and smaller apartments or you'll end up with more and more roommates. The closer you get to your 40's will cause your anxiety level to rise to levels you can't imagine and you'll look around and realize that no one in your life was there when you were in your 20's. All new faces.

Your myopic ambition will will result in a resume that only YOU are proud of because everyone YOU know has the same myopic ambition. In other words, no one will give a shit that you did an episode of Teen Wolf in 2013. Only YOU will. And you'll try to impress people with your silly list of commercials, or your agency representation or WHO YOU KNOW (translation: who you've "met") and none of this will move you forward.

So before you lash out at the reality you're destined for because it's threatening to you, prepare yourself... Fate is not on your side. Skill is not on your side. Luck is not on your side. For every one of YOU there are 100 more expecting lighting to strike, just like you. And every day 100 more pull up in their Uhauls.

Look us up in 20 years... you'll see. There's a reason, people disappear after they succeed in Hollywood. Emptiness. We look around and we're surrounded by desperate people like you. And we see ourselves. And it's totally unfulfilling. In fact, it's exhausting. Desperate ambition is exhausting. Living it or watching it.

But, hey...good luck. See ya at the Oscars!

by Anonymousreply 1106/26/2013

R6 writes:

[bold]Those of us in the biz love DOING it enough (whatever "it" is) to sacrifice some and make it happen. The pussies quit and go have babies and pretend that satisfies them. Yeah, right, keep telling yourself that.[/bold]

Quitting a profession doesn't mean one is a pussy. It means the profession isn't desirable to those who decide to not to pursue it any loner. That happens in many areas of work.

Having babies is a personal choice that people do whether they have any career. That you bring this up as some sort of ammunition to make your point, which has no credibility, tells us more about your jealousies than is wise. You really sound like you have no understanding of this topic and should have refrained from posting.

by Anonymousreply 1206/26/2013

r11 you are vile and should be ashamed. what a miserable person you are. strange that you see that misery in others.

by Anonymousreply 1306/26/2013

[quote] At the end of your life, when you're on your deathbed, Would you rather say "bring me babies".

Any babies? To eat?

by Anonymousreply 1406/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 1506/26/2013

I must be surrounded by babies, babies for everyone! Babies are the new black!

by Anonymousreply 1606/26/2013

Speaking of babies, why has no one mentioned the nepotism in Hollywood--the family connections of stars and people who work in "the industry" matter more than luck or talent. Look at some examples: *Jamie Lee Curtis (let's be serious: did she ever have any talent? and now making commercials for laxative yogurt) *Nicholas Cage *All Kardashians (though not in movies per se) *Kate Hudson *And most glaring example: Tori Spelling)

There are many, many more--a lot of the time the family connections are disguised in newly- minted names

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2013

[r13] I am not vile. The game is vile. Sorry if I struck a nerve. The knee-jerk emotional reaction proves it's in the back of your and everyone's mind. No one wants to see it. No one wants to admit it. Everyone knows that they have almost zero chance of making it in hollywood (especially to the level of success that is celebrated and exploited by the media). That's the reality. Suck on it.

And the "bring me my babies" is FIGURATIVE. It means surround me with people who love me unconditionally! Love is "conditional" in hollywood. Again, don't believe me? Look us up in 20 years. You'll see I'm right.

Look, if I didn't live it, I wouldn't be writing about it. Am I jaded? Yes. But not about my career. I'm jaded about the caliber of people who pursue a career in hollywood. Everyone has a plan. Their plan. If you don't support their plan? They're done. Moved on.

And fyi, I was one of those people. But I woke up. And thank god, I did.

by Anonymousreply 1806/26/2013

No, R11, far from in my 20s. My 20s were where I planted the seeds that paid off in my 30s and beyond. I am way up there from 20s and my career continues. The love for doing it continues. And, yeah, I had success and lulls and everything in between. But it was hardly empty. It was and is so much fucking fun.

Move over, pussies, and let the big boys play. You won't be missed (and you didn't love it enough in the first place).

by Anonymousreply 1906/26/2013

P.S. R12, news flash, people have show biz careers and babies too. It isn't either or. And hardly jealous -- just annoyed when people use that as "their real purpose" rather than admit the truth. THEY QUIT. Pure and simple. Great for the rest of us. Move over.

by Anonymousreply 2006/26/2013

r6/r19 = Ari Emmanuel

by Anonymousreply 2106/26/2013

Major compliment, thank you.

P.S. Can you assholes eliminate the term "sociopath" from your vocabs along with "bully", "judge" and "inappropriate"? Words ruined from your PC victim pussy overuse.

by Anonymousreply 2206/26/2013

You're proving r7's point with each new post, "Not Ari".

Do continue, it's insanely entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 2306/26/2013

[r19] You're just proving my point. People (YOU) pursuing that career are so narcissistic that you didn't read anything I wrote. Just what you THOUGHT i wrote. Fucking hilarious.

But hold onto that dream! Hug it real tight! Maybe it'll hug ya' back!

You're delusional.

by Anonymousreply 2406/26/2013

R24 you don't seem too happy

by Anonymousreply 2506/26/2013

r24 let's be honest, you never had any real talent to begin with...

by Anonymousreply 2606/26/2013

"Making it" in Hollywood isn't about talent. It's about connections, timing and luck. The business is cut throat and I've seen it turn once decent people into total narcissistic douchebags. I've seen not-so-talented people get work because they played the game and were good at it. I've seen super talented people incapable of schmoozing leave after years of failing.

Just because someone leaves, doesn't mean that they're a pussy. Just because someone stays doesn't mean that they're a sociopath. Hollywood isn't for everybody. All my friends in LA have expressed to me at least once since I vacated their desire to do the same.

by Anonymousreply 2706/26/2013

I don't begrudge them success. At least not most of them. I think most of them work hard and if that's what they choose to work hard at so be it. Their choice and my choice not to.

It's clear you don't have to be super talented or even super good looking to get ahead in Hollywood. But you do have to usually work hard to make it happen so there you are. Same with politicians - except for those who have it handed to them on a silver platter - most all politicians work their asses off constantly. And they have to do it in the public eye. Not my choice of a life.

Don't waste your time resenting them unless you are one of them and haven't made it yet. Even then it's a distraction that will waylay your own efforts.

by Anonymousreply 2806/26/2013

I spent more than 10 years in LA...I wasn't pursuing acting but another creative field...and R6 is dead-on...the first few years were really fun and I thought all my friends and I would climb the ladder and we'd help each other and all the fun and games would just get bigger because we'd be rich and (some of us) famous...but the reality is no one makes it, or so few do, and some are content to bask in the shadow of celebrities and think by being in the same room as Angelina Jolie that somehow you are in her are not. And one by one the "gang" all leaves LA, get real jobs, die, or disappear...and then you are sitting in your shit apartment with your shit furniture and no one is answering any of your's a young man's game, and only people who value the superficiality of fame and money are the people who are truly happy.

I shouldn't say all...there are many, many creative people who work in films, music, etc. and love their jobs...but those are behind the scenes people who lead pretty normal lives.

Every single famous person I've ever encountered (and I encountered a lot) were fucked up in some way...and if you think you have real friends, wait until you need them...

by Anonymousreply 2906/26/2013

oops sorry I meant apologies R4 & R6

by Anonymousreply 3006/26/2013

Actors are a dime a dozen and singers are a dime a thousand. The only thing worth anything in all of showbiz today, is quality original content - which is harder to find, than ever before, as it is saturated with more amateur crap content, than ever before in history. (Thank the Starbucks, notebook trend)

by Anonymousreply 3106/26/2013

R29 is accurate. I also lived there for about as much time, also not an actor, more of a behind the scenes guy. Even on that creative sides its still Hollywoodish.

You actually need talent to do the work, but, still a game of who you know just to get a shit job. Then gig to gig with lows in between. It was not stable at all. Hollywood dose not get the normal business practice of trying to keep people employed while moving onto another project. They just hire for a few months then let everyone go with the project is done.

It is still worse then the regular world. Almost all the people I worked with were on anti-depressants. Everyone looked out for themselves and only themselves.

Talk about luck, I saw some bimbo sexatary hired by the president get passed around from department to department to avoid the lay-offs. Within less then 1 year they made her a producer after the boss left. No skill, no talent, no education no "paying her dues". Talk about luck....or very good oral skills I am not sure.

by Anonymousreply 3206/26/2013

And supposing Hollywood becomes tired of [italic]you?[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 3306/26/2013

Every person under 30 in the USA, wants to be an actor.

Welcome to the world you created America!

(Having said this, actually talented actors, of which there are still very few as a percentage, are emotional basketcases and don't take competition well)

by Anonymousreply 3406/26/2013

Under 30? Try under 50!

by Anonymousreply 3506/26/2013

MAtt Damon said as much in an interview. The best of them may get steady work if they're lucky but don't get big paychecks because they don't want to air their personal life or just aren't great at sucking up & networking. They just like to work on their acting. But some great do get their like Pacino.

by Anonymousreply 3606/26/2013

Most movies today are made for teenage girls and the actors used, change every 2-5 years.

by Anonymousreply 3706/26/2013

Bottom line: for some of us who work hard enough and learn the business and DON'T QUIT, that so-called "dream" becomes a career.

For others, like embittered R24, that makes us crazy or delusional. But I got a pile of residual checks to go cash and they're not make believe.

Face it, R24, you didn't have the goods and I bet you "knew it all" before you even arrived in L.A. The recipe for failure.

by Anonymousreply 3806/26/2013

It's well known that part of making it in Hollywood means keeping quiet about things like human trafficking, parents who pimp out children to get them roles, drug trafficking, rape, and other crimes.

That you are proud of making it in such an environment seems to explain why you are so condescending to those who do not.

Not everyone shares your priorities in life.

by Anonymousreply 3906/26/2013

It's the public's fault. The internet has proven this.

The audience had a chance to break free of its programming from the big evil media cartel, by putting everyone on equal footing, and literally starting fresh, on a level playing field.

Did they do this? No. They want networks, book deals, record contracts, and everything made meaningless by the internet. What the cartel could no longer do, rule by distribution, the public has done for them.

by Anonymousreply 4006/26/2013

Jesus Christ, is this One Million Moms all of a sudden? So fucking weird.

by Anonymousreply 4106/26/2013

Hers was an office job in name only. She was basically an underpaid hooker and a girlfriend made to work. The job would offer little to anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 4206/26/2013

Public's fault? Frou has had too many of Mothers little Helpers.

by Anonymousreply 4306/26/2013

I know. "The Evils of Hollywood!" "Turning a blind eye to Child Trafficking!" "Bring me mah babies on mah deathbed!" "Your dream can't hug you like a MAN can"...

Serious frau talk, even if you have a dick.

Bottom line, kids, invest in your dream and DON'T QUIT and it really can happen. And don't listen to the naysayers, all the miserable cunts like R24 who thought it would be easy and then were shocked to find out, no, it takes some actual work and actual talent and actual drive and actual nerve. No time for that!

As for evil Hollywood, it's far more conservative than most would think, mostly because there's so much money involved and nobody wants to work with nuts, messes, etc. Very few of my friends even drink anymore. And there's plenty of playing the Family Card top if that's your thing.

by Anonymousreply 4406/26/2013

r41 I also am taken aback by what strong feelings some of the posters in this thread have about this. I guess this is why Hollywood drives people insane.

by Anonymousreply 4506/26/2013

[nobody wants to work with nuts, messes, etc. Very few of my friends even drink anymore.]

But that IS Hollywood, What's your divorce rate in that field? Almost 100%! Drug rate in your field? 80%. Suicide rate? A famous producer just jumped off a bridge in San Pedro less than a year ago.

The money is what drives that behavior, not what tones it down. If anything it promotes keeping everything hush hush, like openly male gay actors.

by Anonymousreply 4606/26/2013

If you truly love acting and consider it art, then you do theater. Anyone striving to be famous or a "star" is a shallow narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 4706/26/2013

[quote] A famous producer just jumped off a bridge in San Pedro less than a year ago.

I guess he didn't fall in love with it.

by Anonymousreply 4806/26/2013

Most (the sane ones) quickly learn that the goal is to be "a working actor", however that manifests itself. "Stardom" has become more and more abstract with every Kardashian.

P.S. Tony Scott was known more as a great director and there were reportedly health problems there (he was up there, years wise, still a major loss). And you hear about the Perry-Brand type flakes that divorce fast but nobody talks about long running couples like Ken Olin and Patricia Wettig who stay under the radar while still working together.

by Anonymousreply 4906/26/2013

Damn, [r38]! Such hostility toward me and everyone here who is validating everything I said! Hmmmm. Wonder why?

And for your silly stack of Residual checks? You mean the ones for 23.50 or 7.22 or 44.00? Look out McDonald's! Here comes [r38]!!!!!!! Is that how you feel validated? Is that how you justify your "Peter Pan Complex"? And Did you finally feel like a GREAT ACTOR because you finagled your SAG card??? Total validation that you belong in hollywood, right????

Again, you're so convinced that I didn't "make it" in hollywood so I QUIT and walked away!!! I didn't walk away because I had a shit career. I walked away because I was surrounded by anxiety-riddled people like YOU and couldn't take another day more. You still don't get my point and you never will.

If you ever want true fulfillment, start planning your exit strategy. After all, you're hittin' your late 30's. You keep getting older but everyone around you keeps getting younger. Don't act like you don't notice. Time is running out for you. You know I'm right. Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 5006/26/2013

Talent is at the bottom of the list. It's about who you know and who you blow!

by Anonymousreply 5106/26/2013

Actually R50 my checks are for thousands of dollars -- because I first made it as a screenwriter. But God knows nothing will convince you that the whole world isn't a failure, that some of us got a payoff for our work. And you keep leaving out the best part... we love what we do and we're having fun. AND making money at it.

Walked away because of "anxiety ridden people"... Mary!

Seriously, who can imagine spending more than five minutes with this sad cunt?

by Anonymousreply 5206/26/2013

Actually, you keep coming back R52 so you must. Great that you made it but do you have to be such a dick? Your point would have been better had it not reeked of superiority. I have friends who have "made it" and none of them are as judgmental and crass as you.

by Anonymousreply 5306/26/2013

I actually get tired of all the lies.

Someone today said, Brad Pitt held Angelina's hand while she had her fucking absurd, why do they make this shit up?

by Anonymousreply 5406/26/2013

True. It helps if you have a loose moral code when it comes to whom you will sleep with. Your ambition must be all-encompassing. You will be rejected over and over again after making a fool of yourself in chilly rehearsal halls . . . which reminds me of a song:

When I’m rich, famous, and powerful,

You can take all those agents and casting directors;

Tiny apartments and back tax collectors;

Critics and casting calls, chilly rehearsal halls;

People who bore us and jobs in the chorus

And kiss them all good by!

by Anonymousreply 5506/26/2013

I get tired of Hollywood too, let's move to Bel Air.

by Anonymousreply 5606/26/2013

[r52] You fuckin' dumbass! You just blew your cover!

"I first made it as a writer"

You must've had a fuckin' amazing agent 15 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm laughing my fuckin' ass off!

We're done.

by Anonymousreply 5706/27/2013

WTF? Good luck with your babies on your deathbed, Douchebag.

Kids, if you live in L.A.... avoid cunts like this one at all costs. Good news is they are easy to spot. Usually on the bus.

Pursue your dreams and have fun. Remember 99% quit so push the corpses to the side of the road and keep going. "Never give up".

by Anonymousreply 5806/27/2013

For someone who has supposedly made your dream come true, r58, you sound increasingly defensive and angry.

by Anonymousreply 5906/27/2013

R57 et al, you are a miserable asshole without a hint of compassion. Just go away. Seriously, the same way you became angry after no one wanted you anymore because you never had any talent, just looks and youth. Just go away and keep pretending you have it all together. You're a sad jerk.

by Anonymousreply 6006/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!