Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay friendly places to live around the world

You can live anywhere in the world. You want to live in a country where intelligence and culture are valued, and where gay people can safely live.

Where would it be, and why?

by Anonymousreply 4506/29/2013

I love that this thread has been posted for 24 hours, and not one person has come up with any 'gay friendly place', in the whole world

by Anonymousreply 106/25/2013

Uh, it's been posted for about an hour.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2013

Canada, of course.

by Anonymousreply 306/25/2013

They're right about almost everything. But their personalities make them challenging to be around.

by Anonymousreply 406/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 506/25/2013

Canada, Spain and Netherlands are some of the most obvious countries that tend to top the polls on public acceptance of homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 606/25/2013

So fucking stupid, ugh

by Anonymousreply 706/25/2013

Georgia (the country).

by Anonymousreply 806/25/2013

Depends.. is this "white-only" gay friendly or all-people gay friendly?

by Anonymousreply 906/25/2013

Can you suggest the latter R9?

by Anonymousreply 1006/25/2013

I really don't know r9. But when I see suggestions like Finland, I feel that should come with an "white-only" asterisk. ( It's funny how some people assume Gay = White. )

by Anonymousreply 1106/25/2013

I can vouch for Berlin. A fantastic place to live, assuming you don't care about other factors like great weather or a great job market.

by Anonymousreply 1206/26/2013

New Zealand will have its first gay marriages in august.

by Anonymousreply 1306/26/2013

I would choose Norway or holland or Switzerland orrrr Austria

by Anonymousreply 1406/26/2013

Mexico, though many [ignorant] here will scoff. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 1506/26/2013

[quote]I can vouch for Berlin. A fantastic place to live, assuming you don't care about other factors like great weather or a great job market.

This is a myth. Berlin is no different from any other big city in terms of gay acceptance - it's fine, but not the paradise that people make it out to be. Germany doesn't even have gay marriage and they ban joint adoption.

by Anonymousreply 1606/26/2013

intelligence and culture are not valued in Canada

you can encounter lots of homophobia, too

Montreal maybe, but it has its own problems

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2013

I hear Saudi Arabia, Iran and Nigeria are just a bit less than gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 1806/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 1906/26/2013

Vancouver, Canada.

by Anonymousreply 2006/26/2013

Falico on the Leionis Coast is a beautiful little port city which is very gay friendly. Ive been going for ten years. The hotels are small, no banks once you arrive in town so bring US currency. In town on the weekends you'll find tons of drunk, horny, hunky black haired sailors cruising the streets. Woman never come to Aganthous because there are no churches so the traditional, conservative woman stay across the bay in Tiempous. My boyfriend and I went for three months last summer, had a blast! Took this rock hard young sailor back to the inn and played all weekend. He was into water sports. His thick hair smelled of cedar and honeysuckle, had a tight body and he didn't speak much English. The beaches are beautiful and you can rent a small boat called a Arankan for about 3 dollars a day. It's sunny, breezy and balmy all year round except during August when it rains quite a bit. The rain didnt bother us though, because the Star Fairy flowers bloom after the heavy rains. Gorgeous! The food is typically Aswan fare, lots of local fish, yellow plum rice and Mountain Goat cheese they call Soco. Don't go during their national holiday in late September, they don't serve foreigners then.

by Anonymousreply 2106/26/2013

How does Argentina fare?

by Anonymousreply 2206/26/2013

Caftania is sounding like it fits the bill.

R11, do you have some reason to believe Finland is unwelcoming to nonwhites, gay or otherwise? I would love to hear.

by Anonymousreply 2306/26/2013

Canada isn't as gay friendly as it's made out to be.

by Anonymousreply 2406/26/2013

Spain is the most gay friendly country in the world.. see link.

by Anonymousreply 2506/26/2013

Spain and the Netherlands are both gay-friendly and fun. Those Nordic countries are boring. Only Berlin and Cologne are fun in Germany, and Italy isn't gay-friendly. London, NYC not bad for both.

by Anonymousreply 2606/26/2013

South of France.

The laws provide equality now, and I'd just learn to live with the fact that the people aren't friendly. To anyone.

Sitting on deck chairs on the terrace of our villa, gazing out into the Mediterranean, my partner and I wouldn't actually need other people to be friendly to us.

by Anonymousreply 2706/26/2013

Well.. France is the only country in the western world where acceptance for gays DECREASED (with 6 %). The acceptance of gay people actually decreased more than RUSSIA. Congrats to France, that's quite an honor.

France is not getting more accepting, just more bigoted and homophobic. French people are generally very conservative, both socially and politically.

by Anonymousreply 2806/26/2013

I'd worry about it for a moment as I opened another bottle of wine and watched the sunset, r28.

I guess I've learned to dislike society so much that I don't actually need or want other people to like me. Equal treatment and safety from violence. That's all I ask of society, and I feel like one could find that in a villa in the South of France.

by Anonymousreply 2906/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 3006/26/2013

Germany allows civil unions since 2001, difference to a heterosexual marriage - you can't adopt as a couple and you don't have the same tax incentives.

Cologne is pretty open to gay people, Berlin too, although I never lived there. No hiding in public, gay and lesbian couples kiss and hold hands everywhere, nobody really cares.

Holland is very gay friendly if you don't happen to step on one of those crazy conservative nutters that sometimes pop up in Holland.

by Anonymousreply 3106/26/2013

I believe R26

by Anonymousreply 3206/26/2013

R33, take your meds.

by Anonymousreply 3406/26/2013

Finland has non-whites. Granted, only within the last ten years....

by Anonymousreply 3506/26/2013

R34 come take a walk with your boyfriend in a ghetto of muslim or negro

can i have your stuff?

or if american just go to detroit

by Anonymousreply 3606/26/2013

Canada is not as gay friendly as people think.

After the Evangelical PM, Stephen Harper got elected and tried to reverse gay equality and now the anti-gay Mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford.

Things have changed in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 3706/26/2013

I'm with R27 - and actually, I happen to love France - the Burgundy province, Alsace-Lorraine, the Midi, and Paris of course - give me any of them, and I'd be happy to live there.

by Anonymousreply 3806/26/2013

R31 hahaha conservative nutters??? try third world immigrants-muslim negros

you are a darwin award winner just like that gay reporter for advocate or somesuch that got spat on by mussie scum in holland and was oh-so-surprised

lucky he wasn't killed

sometimes i'm ashamed to be gay reading your inanities

by Anonymousreply 3906/26/2013

re Canada: exactly when did the conservative government try to 'reverse' gay equality?

by Anonymousreply 4006/26/2013

1) Uganda 2) Iran 3) Egypt 4) Saudi Arabia 5) Nigeria 6) United Arab Emirates 7) Cameroon 8) Poland 9) Nepal 10) India

by Anonymousreply 4106/26/2013

New Zealand.

by Anonymousreply 4206/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 4306/26/2013

[quote]The laws provide equality now, and I'd just learn to live with the fact that the people aren't friendly. To anyone.

r27, have you even ever been to southern France??

I find the people of Provence and Midi to be as friendly as friendly people anywhere. I'm talkin Canada-friendly, but maybe not quite Thailand-friendly. It makes a huge difference if you speak French.

by Anonymousreply 4406/26/2013

Fight encroaching religious intolerance of ANY kind for it is an impediment to equal rights,gay rights,women's rights,minority rights,hell....HUMAN rights.

The thing we CAN'T tolerate is any law that would seek to take away our inalienable right to examine,criticize,censure and yes, even RIDICULE any religious,political or personal ideology despite the effect it may have on the criticized.

by Anonymousreply 4506/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!