Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Texas voter ID law “will take effect immediately,” says Attorney General Greg Abbott

WASHINGTON — The implications of today’s landmark ruling could be swift and stunning.

With the Supreme Court suspending the mechanism that forced Texas to get a federal OK before it can implement any election law change, state Attorney General Greg Abbott asserts that nothing now can stop the state from activating its controversial voter ID law.

“With today’s decision, the State’s voter ID law will take effect immediately,” Abbott announced. “Redistricting maps passed by the Legislature may also take effect without approval from the federal government.”

Laughlin McDonald of the ACLU, on a call with reporters, conceded that Texas has “a very strong argument” that in light of today’s Supreme Court decision, it can implement the Voter ID law and other laws that previously required federal approval.

The Texas Department of Public Safety has announced that starting Thursday, “Photo identification will now be required when voting in elections in Texas.”

Starting Thursday, Texas driver license offices will begin issuing photo IDs to anyone who don’t already have one. Under the 2011 state law creating one of the state’s most strict voter ID laws, the certificates are free and valid for six years. To qualify, an applicant must show U.S. citizenship and Texas residency. The required documents are listed here to verify U.S. citizenship and identity.

Voters only need that document if they lack a current Texas drivers license, personal ID card or concealed handgun license; U.S. passport or military ID or citizenship certificate with photo.

After the Legislature enacted the voter ID law, the Justice Department invoked Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act to block implementation. The Obama administration, siding with minority advocates, says the law would discriminate against low-income and minority voters. An appeal is pending at the Supreme Court.

But with preclearance suspended, Abbott tweeted after this morning’s 5-4 ruling by Chief Justice John Roberts, US Attorney General “Eric Holder can no longer deny VoterID in Texas” and “Texas VoterID law should go into effect immediately.”

In a statement, he lauded the high court for wiping away unequal treatment of Texas and other states. He acknowledged that Texas — like all states — is barred from racial discrimination and remains subject to after-the-fact lawsuits under Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act, which remains intact.

“Today’s ruling ensures that Texas is no longer one of just a few states that must seek approval from the federal government before its election laws can take effect,” Abbott said.

by Anonymousreply 12106/28/2013

Republicans are so short-sighted. They don't recognize that the backlash to their suppression efforts is increased minority turnout because people see exactly what is going on. Also, the suppression efforts just cement the Democratic hold on minority voters. It's slow motion political suicide.

by Anonymousreply 106/25/2013

Exactly R1 Look at what happened in Florida in this past election. They tried so hard to suppress the vote and Florida wound up going to Obama, Alan West got his ass handed to him and Grayson got back in. It totally backfired.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2013

R3 = fucking asshole.

by Anonymousreply 406/25/2013

R3 You dont need to show ID to use a credit card or to buy a house.

by Anonymousreply 506/25/2013

R3! You don't get it. It shouldn't cost anything to vote. It costs money to get ID, so lots of indigent people don't have any. Now they won't be able to vote because they can't afford to get a state ID or DL.

by Anonymousreply 606/25/2013

Stupid GOP cutting their own throats. They will pay for this.

by Anonymousreply 706/25/2013

Where did you buy the iPad, r5? And what credit card did you use? Typically. credit card companies do NOT require ID's for purchases; in fact they prohibit stores from asking for ID, just as they prohibit stores from requiring a minimum purchase amount, but some stores do it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 906/25/2013

R8's breasts were like silken alabaster just 900 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1006/25/2013

R8 Well, youre a sucker, or you are lying. The credit card companies have a rule that a merchant can not ask for ID when a card holder is making a purchase. I never had to show ID when I bought my house. All they wanted from me was a check.

by Anonymousreply 1106/25/2013

Yes, I'm sure the people who can't afford ID are just like you, R8, buying ipads and houses. Does all your money make you stupid or are you just cruel!

by Anonymousreply 1306/25/2013

There is no evidence of voter fraud. The sole motivation for these voter ID laws is to suppress turnout by minorities and college students.

You show ID for alcohol and cigarettes because you have to be a certain age to buy them. In order to vote you have to be registered and sign in and your signature has to match the one on record.

Typical stupid Republican false equivalency. How about . We kill terrorists and murderers so why don't we kill Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 1406/25/2013

This is a dark day for America. I wish I had the money and good health to be able to leave this hate filled racist country. Being an American is nothing to be proud of these days. This is from someone who used to get tears in my eyes at the sight of the American flag.

by Anonymousreply 1506/25/2013

But can't you get a photo ID at any courthouse? Don't so many things life require one ANYWAY? I don't know, I just see some sort of false equivalency here. Are we talking that POOR people won't be able to vote because they cannot afford the cost of an ID card? I mean, how the hell much ARE they? $10.00? "$20.00? They are NOT hundreds of dollars. I mean people on welfare could scrape up the money to get an ID card, it seems like. No matter what, as others are saying this will backfire. It already has. People will now make damned SURE they get their ID photo cards and go vote. And they will vote Democratic.

Or are we talking illegals who should not be voting anyway?

by Anonymousreply 1606/25/2013

This outrage is the end of the Republican party as a force in the US. Within five years Texas will dump their corrupt lying asses forever. And if they can't win in Texas, they can't win anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 1706/25/2013

[quote]Are we talking that POOR people won't be able to vote because they cannot afford the cost of an ID card? I mean, how the hell much ARE they? $10.00? "$20.00? They are NOT hundreds of dollars.

No, the point is, Einstein, you don't have to PAY anything to vote. Now you will.

by Anonymousreply 1806/25/2013

[quote]But can't you get a photo ID at any courthouse?

No. Do you live in this country?

There is no evidence that illegals are voting. It doesn't even make sense to wonder if they are voting. The last thing they want to do is announce themselves to the government.

And let's not have the "poor people shouldn't have a problem getting ID discussion" either because we don't need to be theoretical about it. We already know they are less likely to have driver's licenses.

Do you know what we call "scraping up $20" in order to vote? A poll tax.

by Anonymousreply 1906/25/2013

How do voters show ID, then? What kind of proof do they need now in Texas? A birth certificate?

by Anonymousreply 2006/25/2013

[quote] But can't you get a photo ID at any courthouse?

Most states have a department of motor vehicles where you must go to get either a driver's license or a state ID card.

In California the cost for a driver's license is now $32, and the cost for a state ID card is $27. There is a lower cost state ID card ($8) available if one meets the qualifications for income requirement. Senior Citizens may get a state ID card at no cost.

However, if you have never had any type of identification before, you will need to have present birth certificate, proof of residency, and a social security card.

by Anonymousreply 2106/25/2013

So, are the Repubs trying to keep POOR people away from the polls or just black, Latino and other minorities away, assuming they are the majority of the poor? The demographic they are trying to keep away are poor people, in general, it seems. With a very wide net?

by Anonymousreply 2306/25/2013

Just two hours after the Supreme Court reasoned that discrimination is not rampant enough in Southern states to warrant restrictions under the Voting Rights Act, Texas is already advancing a voter ID law and a redistricting map blocked last year for discriminating against black and Latino residents. Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott issued a statement declaring that both measures may go into effect immediately, now that there is no law stopping them from discriminating against minorities.

by Anonymousreply 2406/25/2013

Don't forget you have to take time off from work and pay for travel too.

by Anonymousreply 2506/25/2013

[quote]Do you know what we call "scraping up $20" in order to vote? A poll tax.

by Anonymousreply 2606/25/2013

No, R24. They don't want to keep poor white people from the pools since they are most likely uneducated and therefore far more likely to be Republicans. They want them to vote especially when the Democrats are led by a black man. If some are prevented from voting it's collateral damage but they are not the target.

by Anonymousreply 2706/25/2013

R28=unAmerican fascist.

by Anonymousreply 2906/25/2013

$20 is just as unconstitutional as $2,000 would be.

by Anonymousreply 3006/25/2013

R28 is crop dusting toxins all over the place! Get put your gas masks!

by Anonymousreply 3106/25/2013

There is no right more fundamental than to be able to tell people who you are without them deciding whether or not you are that person. People who defend on the CLOSET on the grounds of precious rights violated nevertheless don't care about basic voting rights. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 3206/25/2013

Why do the Republicans always skip right past the part where they have to show that voter fraud is a real problem? The fact that they can't show it tells you all you need to know about the motivations behind these laws. Hint: It's not preventing voter fraud.

by Anonymousreply 3306/25/2013

It's not just the $20-30 for the ID card. If you have to show a birth certificate and don't have one, there's another $30-40 to get one. If the voter doesn't have a credit card, there may be a delay in paying for and getting their documentation through the mail.

They may be taking time off of work to get to the DMV and then waiting for ID to be mailed to them. That's more time, more money, another delay. They may not make the voting registration deadline. Also, Public transportation can be time consuming and difficult to access for some voters.

The point is that voting should be free and we should be making access to voting *easier* not harder. We haven't required ID in the past and there is no voter fraud to speak of in the US. The Republicans are desperate, it shows and this will not end well for them.

by Anonymousreply 3406/25/2013

R32, sorry, you are frustratingly inarticulate. People LIE about who they say they are sometimes. You have no right to be believed that you are who you say you are. That is ludicrous. And it doesn't even make sense. This is why IDENTIFICATION is REQUIRED for so many things.

Your second sentence is unintelligible.

by Anonymousreply 3506/25/2013

R34 makes perfect sense. If the photo ID was free or extremely EASY to get, then there might be some validation in this. But that is NOT what this is about.

by Anonymousreply 3606/25/2013

Its a fact. Nearly every case of voter fraud that has been uncovered was committed by Republicans.

Its a fact.

by Anonymousreply 3706/25/2013

Exactly R36. Fine, the Repugs want an ID? Each state needs to mail every citizen a form that they can fill out from home, with a SASE (paid for by the state), so every citizen can fill it out when they have time (and not during working hours like a trip to the DMV takes), put in a photocopy of a birth certificate or SS card (the state must also offer easy instruction on how to get duplicates if these documents have been lost) and get their new "voter ID card" mailed back to them in under six weeks.

Or, we could do what we've always done since the Voting Rights Act was first installed, which has always worked just fine.

by Anonymousreply 3806/25/2013

Someone on Towleroad said this:

[quote]What we need are national voting standard laws that all states have to follow. Make them comprehensive and simple. Time to stop states from meddling with laws that prevent people from voting.

This would resolve all the issues, but that's what the GOP and SCOTUS and the Koch Brothers DON'T want.

by Anonymousreply 3906/25/2013

Conservatives dont want everybody to vote because they know they cant win elections if everybody votes. Dont believe me? Here they are saying so.

by Anonymousreply 4006/25/2013

[quote]Most states have a department of motor vehicles where you must go to get either a driver's license or a state ID card.

And looky looky how Repugs solve that problem. They close DMV's in minority areas so they have to travel to get one, if at all.

by Anonymousreply 4106/25/2013

R42 ACORN did not commit voter fraud. I'll see your Melowese Richardson and raise you one Roxanne Rubin.

There's plenty more like her. You want me to list them, because its real easy

by Anonymousreply 4306/25/2013

Republican Staffers Charged With 36 Counts of Election Fraud

by Anonymousreply 4506/25/2013

Republican Indiana Secretary Of State Convicted Of Voter Fraud

by Anonymousreply 4606/25/2013

Republican contract hire in Virginia charged with voter fraud

by Anonymousreply 4706/25/2013

Republican U.S. House Staffers Indicted for Felony Election Fraud as GOP Fraud Epidemic Continues

by Anonymousreply 4806/25/2013

GOP registration worker charged with voter fraud

by Anonymousreply 4906/25/2013

The owner of a firm that the California Republican Party hired to register tens of thousands of voters this year was arrested in Ontario over the weekend on suspicion of voter registration fraud.

by Anonymousreply 5006/25/2013

Ann Coulter Under Investigation For Voter Fraud — Again!

by Anonymousreply 5106/25/2013

Virginia Republican pleads guilty to dozens of counts of voter fraud

by Anonymousreply 5306/25/2013

A 31-year-old man working for the Virginia Republican party was charged Friday with 13 counts of destruction of voter registration applications, disclosure of voter registration information, and obstruction of justice

by Anonymousreply 5406/25/2013

BWAHAHAHAAHAH! R52 Thats a new one. Obama is making all these Republicans commit voter fraud. Yea right. Keep telling yourself that.

by Anonymousreply 5506/25/2013

R56 If you bothered to click through and read the articles, you would have seen that the STATES are the ones doing the prosecutions. States that happen to be run by Republicans. The Obama Justice Dept had nothing to do with it.

Who is too stupid to live now?

by Anonymousreply 5706/25/2013

Thanks to whoever is posting all the evidence of Republican voter fraud!

by Anonymousreply 5906/25/2013

R58 Thats the best you can do? Ok we can see you're not even trying.

by Anonymousreply 6206/25/2013

Fox news? really R60?

by Anonymousreply 6406/25/2013

3 out of the 4 you listed are the same person. And these are cases that are 2009. All my examples except for Coulter were from the last year.

Try harder.

by Anonymousreply 6706/25/2013

wow, this freeper will not let up!

by Anonymousreply 6806/25/2013

Oh and cases from 2009? Guess that kills your theory that Obama admin is only going after Regressives.

by Anonymousreply 6906/25/2013

I am tired of the whining. It cost NOTHING in my state to go to the BMV and ask for an ID card. Costs nothing. This is not a driver'slicense, just a photo ID card.

I am sorry. I have been a loyal Democrat for many mnay years and vote for moderate to liberal candidates. But I do not think it is the end of civil rights to show a damn photo ID card to vote.

by Anonymousreply 7006/25/2013

[quote] I am tired of the whining. It cost NOTHING in my state to go to the BMV and ask for an ID card. Costs nothing.

What if the closest BMV office is 50 to 100 miles away or more from where you live? Gas costs money, and time off work. What if you do not drive? Buses and train ride are not free. Neither are taxis.

by Anonymousreply 7206/25/2013

Texas is a worthless pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 7406/25/2013

R73 I just posted the facts. Ten examples of Republicans committing voter fraud. Its not my fault you could not find anything to counter that.

by Anonymousreply 7506/25/2013

Oh yeah, well....BENGHAZI!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7606/25/2013

Meaning, r77?

by Anonymousreply 7806/25/2013

R77 And your point is....?

by Anonymousreply 7906/25/2013

You are so cute pretending you don't know what that means. Truly precious.

by Anonymousreply 8006/25/2013

[quote]And your point is....?

He's white, Rose! He's WHITE!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8106/25/2013

No, I dont know R77. Why dont you explain it? What exactly is your point?

by Anonymousreply 8306/25/2013

Have we all read that Justice Alito once again threw a mini-tantrum? Apparently rolling his eyes and shaking his head while Justice Ginsburg read her dissent. What the fuck is his problem?

by Anonymousreply 8406/25/2013

What is a BMV? Can they not afford the W and have to settle for a V?

by Anonymousreply 8606/25/2013

Weren't Texans yammering about leaving the union? Whatever happened to that idea? It couldn't be typical Texan hot air of course.

by Anonymousreply 8706/25/2013

[quote]But can't you get a photo ID at any courthouse?

No. And in Houston the DMV offices are in outlying area that are not easily accessible by bus.

There is one DMV office downtown, but that one only does titles, registrations, and plates. (Not IDs)

If you live inside the loop and don't own a car, but are really determined, you could spend most of a day trying to get ID. Assuming you aren't too elderly, don't have children you have to take care of, don't have problems walking long distances, don't have to work two or three jobs to get by, etc.

Yes, the most resolute will manage anyway, but it's a numbers game and the Republicans are counting on any barriers that will reduce numbers.

by Anonymousreply 8806/26/2013

[quote]Have we all read that Justice Alito once again threw a mini-tantrum? Apparently rolling his eyes and shaking his head while Justice Ginsburg read her dissent. What the fuck is his problem?

I have a hunch...

by Anonymousreply 8906/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 9006/26/2013

r85 What state do you live in? Most states make people PAY for a state ID. If you don't specify which state you are lying.

by Anonymousreply 9106/26/2013

DL'ers in Texas: get to volunteering. There will be something set up somewhere.

In every state, please considering volunteering.

If all you can do is cut, paste, and share on your Facebook page, then do that.

by Anonymousreply 9206/26/2013

r92 I agree. Until this law is repealed, it is important to get all of the poor and minorities(and college students) with the relevant voter IDs. Don't be surprised if the DMV's(the only place to get state IDS and driver licenses) start shutting down in mostly minority and poor neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 9306/26/2013

R93. Are,you saying all poor, minorities and college students vote democrat?

by Anonymousreply 9406/26/2013

r94 No, I am saying that those that want to vote shouldn't have to go through hurdles to do it. Especially if Republican groups and elected leaders have point blank ADMITTED to passing certain laws to prevent(or make it harder) college students, blacks, and the poor from doing so.

by Anonymousreply 9506/26/2013

r96 Prove it. In what way to democrats abuse the system. Which laws??

by Anonymousreply 9706/26/2013

Are we required to only mention laws?

by Anonymousreply 9806/26/2013

r98 What else do you want to mention. In what way do dems abuse the system??

by Anonymousreply 9906/26/2013

Filling up buses at churches (at certain types of churches) with how to vote cards for those that could read, and human guides for those that couldn't (of course you know who really filled out the ballot). ACORN and other registration fraud. Signing up felons and illegal immigrants to vote.

Both parties use what is at their disposal to sway elections.

by Anonymousreply 10006/26/2013

R98 You already had your ass handed to you once when you could not come up with anything to counter the numerous times Republicans have committed voter fraud. Are you really sure you want to go through that all over again?

by Anonymousreply 10106/26/2013

R101. Yes. Would you please get your head out of my ass? It is difficult to sit down.

by Anonymousreply 10206/26/2013

R102 Wow, you really are a mature and well rounded individual. Well, when one doesn't have any facts, I guess that is what we can expect. Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 10306/26/2013

R100, what could you possibly have against Christians voting? Unless you're gay. Are you gay?

by Anonymousreply 10406/26/2013

R104 I think their issue is its the wrong kind of Christians. You know, the ones who think we should look after the poor, the hungry, the sick and needy.

by Anonymousreply 10506/26/2013

Yes, ACORN. Yet another faux controversy.

Some moron who looks like "Shaggy" dresses up like "Huggy Bear" and suddenly the conservatives think they have red meat.

by Anonymousreply 10606/26/2013

Oh I know R105, it's just that I can't hear dog whistles so R100 just needs to speak a little clearer.

by Anonymousreply 10706/26/2013

I honestly don't understand how this is racist. Don't most people have some type of photo ID? I had to show my liscense when I voted and hadto show it a couple of times this week.

by Anonymousreply 10806/26/2013

Well, R108 you can also refer to it as classist.

by Anonymousreply 10906/26/2013

R108 Because the GOP themselves admit the effort was an attempt to keep blacks from voting.

[quote]A GOP consultant who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retribution said black voters were a concern. “I know that the cutting out of the Sunday before Election Day was one of their targets only because that’s a big day when the black churches organize themselves,” he said.

by Anonymousreply 11006/26/2013

Let me ask some of you people who don't understand "What's the big deal?" Why do you think this was brought to the court in the first place? Do you honestly believe it was for some innocuous purpose? NOTHING the right does is to benefit this country. NOTHING. It's solely about political gain for them and them alone. Selfish, vile lot of people.

Who in the hell is dumb enough to believe that an illegal person would wait hours in line just to vote? Why in the hell would they take that chance? And there ARE countless poor, mostly black people who don't have ID. Why would they need it? Many of them don't have cars and don't own homes. Do you think they have passports for their trips to Milan?

The fact that TX and MS could not do something fast enough after this went through is indicative of their nefarious plans.

Shame on those of you too dumb or too selfish to comprehend the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 11106/26/2013

I'm with r3 on this one. I have no issue with requiring ID to vote. If you don't have one, well get one or vote by mail.

by Anonymousreply 11206/26/2013

r111 Perfect response.

by Anonymousreply 11306/26/2013

BTW, do you understand that you have to sign something when you show up? I don't have to show ID because once I sign my name before I vote, that's it. I've never had an incident where someone else claimed to be me and voted in my place or do you think that after waiting in line to vote, I'm going to go back in line wearing a Groucho Marx disguise and come up with another name to vote?

by Anonymousreply 11406/26/2013

Didn't Acorn turn out to be Fox News made up controversy? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the videos they showed were heavily edited to paint a picture that didn't exist, but it wasn't until the damage was done that the actual truth came to light?

by Anonymousreply 11506/26/2013

OK, the fee to get a birth certificate in my area is 23.00. Plus you need government issued photo ID. If you do it in any way other than in person there is an additional 12.95 fee and you need a notarized statement confirming that you are the person on the ID.

In order to get a state issued ID you need a Social Security number and.... a birth certificate or passport.

by Anonymousreply 11606/26/2013

Put your money where your mouth is. In your city, etc. get your Democratic committee to organize voter drives and contribute some cash to pay for ID's for those who can;t afford it. This is no apocalypse. Just takes some organization.

by Anonymousreply 11706/26/2013

Exactly R116--as has been described many times upthread.

People who claim not to understand why this is insidious obviously don't want to.

by Anonymousreply 11806/28/2013

[quote]I'm with [R3] on this one. I have no issue with requiring ID to vote. If you don't have one, well get one or vote by mail.

Too bad there isn't an IQ test required.

by Anonymousreply 11906/28/2013

Hopefully someone will launch a lawsuit "immediately" as well.

by Anonymousreply 12006/28/2013

God I hate Texas. And I hate the ID law. Stupid and unnecessary. But I'm much more concerned with the endless gerrymandering that will now take place so that minorities won't be elected in city and state elections.

And you watch. The places to vote in urban areas will suddenly be pushed outside of mass transit lines. And they will only be open during business hours.

by Anonymousreply 12106/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!