Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Paying in enormous stacks of change?

Have any of you ever tried to pawn off several dollars in quarters, only just to get a nasty reaction from the cashier? I mean...isn't it their job???

by Anonymousreply 4006/26/2013

There are laws as to how much change a person must accept. I don't remember all of them, but I think the limit on pennies is 36 cents.

by Anonymousreply 106/25/2013

The phrase is "palm off" not "pawn off."

Now see, you've learned something on the DL today and I didn't even call you a dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2013

And the people in line behind you are just thrilled, too.

by Anonymousreply 306/25/2013

How many dollars, OP? Ten dollars worth would be rude. Why not go to a bank with free coin counting machines? You will get back paper money for your change. Unless you are deliberately being a dick.

by Anonymousreply 406/25/2013

They could've gone somewhere else! How was I supposed to know this was wrong??? It was only like ten dollars!!! And, the lady was a total bitch!!!

by Anonymousreply 506/25/2013

Obnoxious assholes do that, don't be one of those.

by Anonymousreply 606/25/2013

Well, I won't anymore; though, I called her manager. She was purposefully impolite...where she could've just said, "I'm sorry, but I only take paper money..."

by Anonymousreply 706/25/2013

But, but... The aluminum recycling machine pays me in quarters! IT'S ALL IT HAVE!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 806/25/2013

If you can use a recycling machine, you can use Coinstar.

by Anonymousreply 906/25/2013

That's why I try to use up my change along the way rather than accumulate it which is then a pain to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 1006/25/2013

There is always somebody, or something to accept my change throughout the day.

by Anonymousreply 1106/25/2013

Ignore R8, and all her inbred ilk!

by Anonymousreply 1206/25/2013

I pay in change sometimes...

However, I'm not an asshole and use coin wrappers.

by Anonymousreply 1306/25/2013

[quote] Why not go to a bank with free coin counting machines?

What banks would those be? Anytime I've gone to a bank to cash in change they've insisted that it not only be rolled but that I put my name and account number on the paper roller around the change.

by Anonymousreply 1406/25/2013

I like quarters, you can never have too many quarters.

by Anonymousreply 1506/25/2013

I got $1.85 in change, all in the form of nickels, with a recent purchase. Normally I might've said something, but it was a tiny independent record store and I imagine the store owner was too high to go to the bank. Sure looked that way...

by Anonymousreply 1606/25/2013

Quarters are a breeze for a cashier to count: take two fingers and count "50-1, 50-2, 50-3... " It's the other smaller bullshit coins that make everyone's life so difficult.

by Anonymousreply 1706/25/2013

The mean lady was mean to me because I dumped a pile of change on her counter and stared at her like the unmannered clod I am, so entitled and whiny that I shall carry the rage at her calling me on my rudeness for the rest of my life, and create DL threads about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1806/25/2013

[quote]Why not go to a bank with free coin counting machines?

The words "free" and "bank" dont belong in the same sentence.

by Anonymousreply 1906/25/2013

It's irritating, OP. For the cashier and for those behind you in line. It's just a common courtesy to go to a bank, get those paper coin rolls, and roll up your excess coins. Then you can use the already counted and rolled coins ($.50 for pennies, $2 for nickels, etc) as tender. Is it the biggest deal in the world if you give a cashier $10 in pennies? No. But it's lazy on your part for sure, not to mention tacky.

by Anonymousreply 2006/25/2013

R18=pissed off cashier

by Anonymousreply 2106/25/2013

For those of you suggesting rolled coins use your time machine back the present. Banks don't take rolled coins at least most wont. You might short them. They all have counting machines but you have to have an account with them to use them.

Oh and change is legal currency. They must take it.

I have not paid that way myself just because it takes too long but still. Money is money.

by Anonymousreply 2206/25/2013

I wonder if OP is also one of those people who demands to use the toilet in a restaurant he doesn't patronize?

by Anonymousreply 2306/25/2013

I like the new National Park quarters.

by Anonymousreply 2406/25/2013

That thread title reads like a Republican lament from 2008 and 2012.

by Anonymousreply 2506/25/2013

Cash? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 2606/25/2013

A awful lot of stupid threads being started in the last few days.

by Anonymousreply 2706/25/2013

I don't think TD bank cares if you have an account or not to use their coin machine.

by Anonymousreply 2806/25/2013

I don't mind when someone pays with a COUPLE of dollars of quarters. I DO mind when someone dumps a handful of misc. change out on the counter. I also mind when often Seniors will say, "oh, I have the 0.97 and have to count out of their change purses" rather than just take the 3 damn pennies.

Coin counters are a beautiful thing, but all the ones I've seen all want their "cut" of the count. Does TD Bank do this too, R28?

by Anonymousreply 2906/25/2013

Coinstar won't take a cut if you elect to get certain gift cards in lieu of cash, including Amazon's.

by Anonymousreply 3006/25/2013

My bank in PA has a free (if you have an account with them) coin counting machine. Dump it all in and you get a voucher to bring to the teller and get bills.

I own a retail store and once had a woman - early to mid 20's - pay in quarters for a $26 dollar purchase. She has them all in a Zip-Lock bag. She actually huffed at me while I stood there counting the quarters repeating "It's all there, it's all there". I said, "I'm sure it is but I have to make sure you didn't give me too much money, right?"

by Anonymousreply 3106/25/2013

[quote] Oh and change is legal currency. They must take it.

Actually R22, some countries have a restriction on the amount you can pay with particular coins.

And some countries allow people to refuse to accept some forms of payment.

by Anonymousreply 3206/25/2013

The only time I used change was when I had to pay a court fine and the stupid woman wouldnt take a check because she claimed she didn't know if she could, even when I pointed out the sign that said they took checks, and wouldn't go find a supervisor to ask and their credid card/bank card machine charged $10 to use. I went to my bank and 'bought' $50 in quarters then broke open the roles into a plastic shopping bag and took it to the courthouse to pay my fine. I know it was a dickhead move but seeing the look on her face when she realized she had to count all that change was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 3306/25/2013

That, R33, was worth the effort on your end.

by Anonymousreply 3406/25/2013

I believe TD charges to use the machine if you don't have an account. You have to go to a teller to get the money. It doesn't come out of the machine.

by Anonymousreply 3506/25/2013

Most banks do seem to charge for using coin counting services. My credit union does too, although not at the outrageous percentage that coinstar charges.

by Anonymousreply 3606/25/2013

Did you have the same smarmy look on your face at the store as you did when you typed this, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3706/25/2013

Take it to First Citywide.

by Anonymousreply 3806/26/2013

So did they ban you from the dollar store OP?

by Anonymousreply 3906/26/2013

TD Bank's "Penny Arcade" is free for customers and charges 6% for non-customers. However, they offer "totally free checking" so go open a small balance checking account there and you've got free Penny Arcade access.

by Anonymousreply 4006/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.