Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

****SOFT BREAKING**** US Supreme Court has again issued no ruling in its morning opinion release on DOMA or Prop 8

Court will issue opinions (or holds) on these cases later this week before leaving town for their break.

Will post the day when it's posted.

by Anonymousreply 4406/26/2013

But they did gut the voting rights act.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2013

[quote]There are other things equally important OP. No need to be so self-involved.

Exactly what is equally important that would be breaking in the next couple of days, r1? Where Snowden is? Darrell Issa's scandal du jour?

Of course, there are problems all over the world that are important but these are ongoing. It being concerned about an issue that directly impacts our community is "self-involvement" by your definition, then so be it.

by Anonymousreply 306/25/2013

Fuck you R1. Fuck you hard.

by Anonymousreply 406/25/2013

Final day tomorrow, last day of opinions for term, just announced by Chief Justice.

Datalounge, lets meet tomorrow at the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 506/25/2013

Today's gutting of the voting rights act IS huge news. Horrifying news.

by Anonymousreply 606/25/2013

Horrifying news, and likely a portent of what's to come tomorrow.

If they are willing to do this to the voting rights act, I don't see them doing anything progressive regarding gay rights....

by Anonymousreply 706/25/2013

r1 i was trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 806/25/2013

hllo?

by Anonymousreply 906/25/2013

Yes the VRA dismantling is bad new indeed.

by Anonymousreply 1006/25/2013

So what is everyone's opinion. I think the best we can hope for is:

1) DOMA struck down.

2) Prop 8 won't have standing and the lower courts ruling stands. So Prop 8 falls away.

by Anonymousreply 1106/25/2013

'Soft Breaking' -- Jesus Christ on a Crutch! Don't you think we watch the news?!

by Anonymousreply 1206/25/2013

I am afraid, after THIS ruling, that DOMA will stand.

by Anonymousreply 1306/25/2013

There are, in fact, real problems with the Voting Rights Act, stemming mainly from the political reality that Congress is unable to articulate new standards for identifying voting districts in need of federal oversight; instead, it just keeps reenacting the old and patently out-of-date criteria.

I'm not sure what can be done about this, in practical terms. Getting Congress to agree on new criteria (for places like Shelby County) will be a gargantuan task.

by Anonymousreply 1406/25/2013

I'm pretty sure that SCOTUS is about to set the gay rights movement back by about 100 years...

by Anonymousreply 1506/25/2013

[quote]Final day tomorrow, last day of opinions for term, just announced by Chief Justice.

I thought Thursday was the last day for rulings?

by Anonymousreply 1606/25/2013

[quote]I'm pretty sure that SCOTUS is about to set the gay rights movement back by about 100 years

We're not going to lose anything that we already had. The most a negative ruling can do is delay the coming of full equality. We're going to get there, the question is when, not if.

by Anonymousreply 1706/25/2013

[quote]Will post the day when it's posted.

O FANK YOU! I'm sure nobody else has got this covered!

by Anonymousreply 1806/25/2013

Yeah, what IS it with all these slobbering fatties monitoring the news on their home computers and then breathlessly 'filling the rest of us in' on what's happening when the world offers any NUMBER of ways to receive breaking news, now???

by Anonymousreply 1906/25/2013

[quote] Everyone born in the United States was issued a Birth Certificate available from the municipality where your arrival occurred. If you can't be bothered to obtain a copy, the election board should not allow you to vote.]

When I first registered to vote in 1981, I was not required to show ID, nor was I required to produce a birth certificate. When I changed my registration, due to a new address, new name or political affiliation, again I was not required to show proof of identity.

Why should that change now?

by Anonymousreply 2106/25/2013

Birth Certificate is kinda overboard, imho. But I see nothing wrong with having to show ID. Why WOULDN'T you want to have your identity verified when voting?

Ever since 9/11 I bring my passport with me wherever I travel ... even domestically. Why is this so difficult or even any kind of infringement?

I wish we DID have a federally issued credit card sized ID card.

by Anonymousreply 2206/25/2013

urf

by Anonymousreply 2306/25/2013

Lots of people don't have a valid Id, study after study has shown this yet people can't see outside of their own lives to realize and understand that.

by Anonymousreply 2406/25/2013

Has someone kicked a stiletto heel up R1's ass yet? If not....

by Anonymousreply 2506/25/2013

There is more to it than that, r26, and if you would take your head outta your rear you might eventually 'get it'.

by Anonymousreply 2706/25/2013

YOU, R27, I am sure to be very capable. You are grossly underestimating many citizens in our country. I spend my days helping people navigate systems that SHOULD be simple, but are not. Why? Because "we" often DON'T want them to get through "the door." THAT, my friend, is reality.

by Anonymousreply 2806/25/2013

Not a valid answer, r27 - presuming you have one.

by Anonymousreply 2906/25/2013

In a lot of places, you need a birth certificate (hard enough to get) to get an ID, but you need a photo ID to get a birth certificate. This is only one example.

by Anonymousreply 3006/25/2013

R26 is an ignorant tool... a perfect example of white male privilege in action.

by Anonymousreply 3106/25/2013

r30, why is a birth certificate hard to get?

by Anonymousreply 3206/25/2013

Many elderly do not have access to them, especially minorities and immigrants and children of immigrants.

Look, your ignorance doesn't change reality, so instead of being an asshole about it (sitting on your pedestal of privilege as you are), why don't you try educating yourself.

You can start here... it's an easy-to-read puff-piece, but it's a start. Maybe your mind might open a crack and you won't be so self-absorbed that you think everyone has all the same experiences, abilities, and privileges as you...

by Anonymousreply 3306/25/2013

R30 is right. I moved lost my DL during the move to another state and decided to just get my new DL in my new state. Without my old DL I needed my birth certificate. Did not have one so went to get it. I needed ID to get it. My mother had to go get it for me and since she had remarried and her name was different had to use her marriage license to prove who she was in addition to her DL.

I am 44. Father is dead. What would have happened if she was also dead?

by Anonymousreply 3406/25/2013

The more hoops there are to jump through to vote, the easier it is for bigots and those in power to manipulate the hoops so that people who vote "their" way have an easy time voting, while those that don't, ... don't.

We've seen this time and time again, as recently as the very last election.

How you can be ignorant of something so OBVIOUS, with so much historical precedent, is stunning to me.

by Anonymousreply 3506/25/2013

You're an asshole, R33. White and privileged, my ass. You know absolutely NOTHING about me or my background. YOUR racism is blinding.

Asshole. (bears repeating)

by Anonymousreply 3606/26/2013

How do people function in modern society without some form of identification?

by Anonymousreply 3706/26/2013

r37, do you think Vladimir Putin carries an ID?

by Anonymousreply 3806/26/2013

[quote]How do people function in modern society without some form of identification?

That's true. To get welfare you need identification. There's no excuse not to have it. The only people that have any excuse to be without identification are the homeless. You need identification for essentials. There's no way around it. The poor need identification if they want benefits. These excuses are ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3906/26/2013

R32 for starters, you often need a PHOTO ID.

See where this is going?

by Anonymousreply 4006/26/2013

[quote]Everyone born in the United States was issued a Birth Certificate available from the municipality where your arrival occurred.

Not true. Due to paper shortages in the early 1940s, there were birth records issued in some cities with a list of everyone born that day and the names of the parents.

by Anonymousreply 4106/26/2013

DOMA is dead.

Prop 8 is dead, but only in California.

by Anonymousreply 4206/26/2013

And FYI, a passport is surprisingly not a valid ID to everyone. I have had a passport rejected at the post office, by the police, as ID when using a credit card, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4306/26/2013

[quote]Prop 8 is dead, but only in California.

Prop 8 is not in any other state, thus it's only dead in the state where it existed.

by Anonymousreply 4406/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.