Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I long for the NYC of the mid/late 1970s.

Sigh. I just want to go back in time and relive 1976-1979 in NYC. I want the grit, the dirt, the grime, the seediness, the danger of it all. And of course the hot sex with guys (with body hair...shudder!) you connected with in person rather than via some app, and without any worry of contracting anything that couldn't be cured with an antibiotic. It was just such a hot and sleezy and wonderful and magnificent time to be gay in NYC...an absolutely amazing time to experience life. I feel sorry for gay people who never got to experience that era of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 4106/27/2013

OP, I just reread Dancer from the Dance, and I can e sympathize.

by Anonymousreply 106/25/2013

Nostalgia is a longing for a past that never was.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2013

Though I much prefer 1970s NY -- and LA, for that matter -- reading Dancer from the Dance in 1978 made me feel awfully depressed about being gay. I wanted to meet someone and fall in love, and the theme of that book is that there is no such thing as lasting love with one person, which mirrored my experience of that time. But it sure was fun to fuck all the time.

And then I read Faggots. Ack.

by Anonymousreply 306/25/2013

You just want to get laid. NY in the 70's was a hellhole.

by Anonymousreply 406/25/2013

There is no shortage of hot guys. Unless you're old. And you do sound old.

by Anonymousreply 506/25/2013

It was pretty frenetic, all right, but I loved it. A blessed era between the discovery of penicillin and the onset of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 606/25/2013

OP you're very lucky you're not dead.

by Anonymousreply 706/25/2013

Was never much into anal, and when I did I almost always topped. Sucked countless dicks and never got any STDs. The fact that I'm still here proves to me that oral is pretty much harmless, and that unprotected bottoming is really the only dangerous activity.

by Anonymousreply 806/25/2013

You're still lucky. Yes the chances of becoming infected with HIV are much higher when bottoming but tops do get infected. Oral is considered a mild risk unless you have broken skin in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 906/25/2013

"A hellhole," R4?

How absurd.

by Anonymousreply 1006/25/2013

The ancients are frolicking in their nursing home today! Calloo callay!

by Anonymousreply 1106/25/2013

What in the world is "Calloo callay!"?

by Anonymousreply 1206/25/2013

Calloo Cally is from the poem "The Walrus and the Carpenter" that appears in one of the Alice books by Lewis Carroll.

by Anonymousreply 1306/25/2013

And it equals geezerhood?

by Anonymousreply 1406/25/2013

New York was disgusting by 1975. People were leaving in droves. The subways were covered in graffiti and had no air conditioning in the summer. This was pre-clone in the gay underground. Gay men dressed like romantic Edwardian hippies, with better taste. Long hair, capes, berets, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1506/25/2013

Why bother to post negative comments? DL seems to have a pretty diverse demographic. There's room for all of us here.

by Anonymousreply 1606/25/2013

You know what, R15, I'm glad you didn't stay. And 1975 was not pre-clone. I had just moved to NY (UWS) that spring, and went to get my hair cut. I wasn't paying much attention, and by the time the guy was done, I [italic]was[/italic] a clone, albeit one who couldn't grow a beard or moustache yet.

I grew it back as fast as I could, and when I moved to the Village the following year, I stayed on the east side of Seventh Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 1706/25/2013

R16, probably because the OP comes off as an asshole who has to insult us younger gays in some attempt to prove his generation is better.

by Anonymousreply 1806/25/2013

[quote]"A hellhole," [R4]? How absurd.

Really? Where you there? I was. If you were, than you must have been stuck in some backroom bent over the whole time, because yes, even as a kid, I knew it was a hellhole.

by Anonymousreply 1906/25/2013

[quote]Calloo Cally is from the poem "The Walrus and the Carpenter" that appears in one of the Alice books by Lewis Carroll.

No it isn't. It's from "Jabberwocky" in Through the Looking Glass:

And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

He chortled in his joy.

by Anonymousreply 2006/25/2013

And you could buy a townhouse in a prime location for $75,000!!

by Anonymousreply 2106/25/2013

I grew up in NY in the 70s and it seemed fine to me. Granted I was a child and I lived on the UES, but nothing seemed particularly hellish. It was certainly rough and dirty and dangerous in places but I just thought that's what all cities were like. You stayed out of the bad parts. I had an aunt who lived in the Village who I'd visit. That's as scary as it got for me.

What fascinated me about that time period was the emerging punk and New Wave scene that was happening downtown. I was 12 when I started hearing about it. England had the Sex Pistols and Siouxsie and all that but New York had Blondie, Ramones, Talking Heads, Patti Smith, Television, etc. I was too young to go to CBGBs or other clubs but I managed to pick up copies of PUNK magazine and other mags. There was a lot of weirdness going on at the time that I found terribly seductive and fascinating. Joey Arias, Klaus Nomi, all those interesting people doing interesting things. Maybe the hell-holishness of that part of NY lent itself to that kind of creativity and innovation.

by Anonymousreply 2206/25/2013

NYC was a hellhole in some ways in the mid/late 70s (I was mugged a few times) then but totally fabulous and full of realness in othrs: hot men, theater (Divine in Women Behind Bars live--maybe the epitome of the mid 70s),authentically talented performance artists (Marsha! Minette! Ethyl Eichelberger, Charles Ludlam, Everett Quinton, Edith Beale at Reno Sweeney, Brenda Bergman, Alberta Hunter), fashion designers/artists (Halston!, Diana Vreeland, Andy Warhol) not to mention plenty of sex and partying!! Baryshnikov emigrated to the US and moved to NYC, Twyla Tharp was at her prime as well. Studio 54 was not open until 1978 , but earlier we did have Twelve West(the first real disco), Les Mouches (Yowsa, yowsa, yowsa), Paradise Garage (I went to the first construction party),Flamingo, the Anvil and other clubs with performers who were known mostly to the people who went to the clubs. The Anvil was the absolute best with the on-bar performers and drag performers like Anuba (sp?) who belted out "Sinner Man" every Sunday morning about 5. Lee Radziwill is said to have taken here sister Jackie O there one night. I danced with Divine at Twelve West at Elton John's bithday party (themed "Back in the USSA"), partied with the Trocks de Monte Carlo in their loft on 6th Avenue (not Avenue of the Americas, darling) and saw Grace Jones, Edith Massey, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, Charles Ludlam and company, Dolly Parton, Sylvester, Divine and others live in performance--this was when being gay was really different and not part of a mass commercial market as it is today. The Gay Pride march did not have floats paid for by AXE, AT&T, etc or even any floats at all in the mid-70s. People would throw stuff at us as we marched uptown. Rents were very cheap back then as well, both in the city and at the beach.

by Anonymousreply 2306/25/2013

pre-AIDS NYC was heaven. I came to NYC in 1976 from a small town in the midwest, and came out soon after. I realize I sound like a walking cliche, but there were so many of us fresh-faced newbies arriving in NYC who needed to escape the stifling and suffocating small towns we grew up in. When you were gay and living in NYC during that time period, there was such an exhilirating sense of liberation and the wonderful feeling, finally, that you belonged. Of course looking back, it seems to have lasted for about a minute before the plague hit, but when you actually lived that blip in time, it was just amazing.

by Anonymousreply 2406/25/2013

Reading all this bizarre, long-winded commentary makes me nostalgic for the NYC of late 2001.

by Anonymousreply 2506/25/2013

The 70s were before my time, but I just want to weep when I hear how (relatively) cheap it was to live in Manhattan. It's a shame that didn't last because my generation really got screwed by the real estate prices here.

by Anonymousreply 2606/25/2013

My $375/mo. apartment on 5th Avenue @ 11th St. was selling for $999,999.99 the last time I looked, R26. I wish I had stayed.

by Anonymousreply 2706/25/2013

NYC has turned into a Disney-esque representation of what was...

by Anonymousreply 2806/25/2013

I lived off 9th Avenue, 78-80, and was able to survive on cruddy jobs that largely involved cutting a sandwich in two. There were thousands of people like me.

Now,it's only the rich and the even richer.

by Anonymousreply 2906/25/2013

R29 = Bitter that he has no skills and couldn't hack it in NYC

by Anonymousreply 3006/25/2013

Sounds like he did just fine, r30, projecting your own inadequacies?

by Anonymousreply 3106/25/2013

R31, are you trying to tell us you're LouisE Hay?

by Anonymousreply 3206/25/2013

R4 could be my father, whom I asked to cosign a loan for an apartment at One Fifth. They were going from $16,000-32,000. He said, "Who wants to live [italic]there[/italic]? You're throwing your money away" and wouldn't sign it.

by Anonymousreply 3306/25/2013

Sounds like R29 did fine for two years and moved back to Bumfucke.

by Anonymousreply 3506/25/2013

[quote]Sounds like [R29] did fine for two years and moved back to Bumfucke.

That's exactly right.

But I loved being young and poor-ish in Manhattan. I don't think young people can manage that sort of existence in NYC now--which is a loss for them.

by Anonymousreply 3606/25/2013

[quote]NYC has turned into a Disney-esque representation of what was...

Manhattan has. But the rest of the city is benefitting from the refugees.

by Anonymousreply 3706/26/2013

Here is a good video that captures the era OP longs for.

by Anonymousreply 3806/27/2013

R38, did you notice that in the pics of the old movie theaters along 42nd Street, Ossie Davis and Dionne Warwick were starring in a movie called "Slaves?"

by Anonymousreply 3906/27/2013

The comments on that youtube video are enlightening. NYC was a dangerous shithole then. More interesting but you could get murdered easily. And filthy dirty.

by Anonymousreply 4006/27/2013

blog - I loved New York

by Anonymousreply 4106/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.