Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is there a new Java update every other freaking day?

What's to update so much?

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2015

I stopped updating a year ago, my computer works just fine.

by Anonymousreply 106/25/2013

It's the trickster gods of the Javanese having fun at your expense.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2013

NSA updates.

by Anonymousreply 406/25/2013

I've actually removed Java early this year when we were getting the security warnings about it.

I didn't realize I don't visit any sites that require it, so I haven't missed it. But have the new updates alleviated the NSA concerns?

by Anonymousreply 506/26/2013

Anyone who doesn't strictly need java should remove it, it's a huge security risk

by Anonymousreply 606/26/2013

Agree with R5 and R6 - I got rid of Java after the security warnings and didn't realize I didn't even need it in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 706/26/2013

R5/R6/R7 = idiots

by Anonymousreply 806/26/2013

Fine, they're idiots, R8. But please tell me which sites require Java and WTF is it supposed to do? I ask because my computer is recovering from a nasty virus, and I know it's because I downloaded some software is shouldn't have, and I also inadvertently clicked on links to sites that were infested with viruses. So now that I'm clean, I'm careful. I keep getting the update alert, and I keep ignoring it. I need to know why I need it first.

by Anonymousreply 906/26/2013

What would change if I got rid of Java?

by Anonymousreply 1006/26/2013

Almost nothing.

Uninstall it.

Very little requires it any more.

by Anonymousreply 1106/26/2013

Does Datalounge require Java?

by Anonymousreply 1206/26/2013

Thanks, R11. What are the benefits of removing it?

by Anonymousreply 1306/26/2013

You're supposed to be able to set an option for no update reminders, but Java overrides that and you get daily reminders. I have ignored the reminders for more than a year. It's a real annoyance. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one.

by Anonymousreply 1406/26/2013

I was just on Facebook and I got a pop up alert that Java was attempting to run a script and wanted me to click "Allow." I didn't. I still don't know what it does.

by Anonymousreply 1506/26/2013

Don't get me started on how often you need to update ITunes. What is that all about?

by Anonymousreply 1606/26/2013

I use Firefox as my browser. I have two useful add-ons: NoScript and WOT (Web of Trust).

Web of Trust puts a little ring ofeither green, yellow or red next to my browser and google searches to tell me if the site is safe or has issues (spammy, virusy, etc.).

NoScript makes pages load without javascript, without ads, without videos, without malicious scripts that can infect my computer. Any news or entertainment site has loads of scripts. I click "temporarily allow scripts" when I go to sites and feel safe there. I only temporarily allow the script that will give me what I want from the site, and not all the hidden adware scripts (the needed scripts are bolded in the list). It takes a little time to get working, and then it's easy peasy. Keeps my computer safe. Fuck all the sites using adware - they can piss off.

I "permanently allow" scripts on only a handful of sites I really trust, such as my email providers.

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2013

Thanks, R17. I've just installed NoScript. Hope I like it as much as you do.

by Anonymousreply 1806/26/2013

HATED Java, and after reading about all of the troubles with it and possible spyware, I ditched it.

My computer seems to operate much better, too.

by Anonymousreply 1906/26/2013

Is it my imagination, or is my computer faster sans Java/avec NoScript? I used to have to wait what seemed like forever for new threads to arrive on DL. Now, it's like I have a brand new computer.

by Anonymousreply 2006/26/2013

It looks like some people are still recommending that people disable Java if they don't specifically need to utilize the program.

The attached article is dated yesterday, but it contains almost exactly the same information & warning that was being put out at the beginning of the year.

Firefox wasn't even allowing the Java add-on to be used at all in January - even with the newest version. Now I think Firefox allows you to use whatever the latest version is, but they give you a warning each time and you have to click approval indicating that the site you are visiting is known "safe."

by Anonymousreply 2106/27/2013

Another person who uninstalled Java here. Did it about a year ago after I got sick to death of the constant requests to update, and I recall a total of one website since then which wanted me to have it to work properly. It allows interaction with the user, which some programs need, but the average person doesn't need it on their computer at all.

by Anonymousreply 2206/27/2013

I needed Java to order new checks online from Chase's website.

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2015

I love the Java Jive and it loves me.

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2015

Java was developed to be a cross browser tool. In the old days both Netscape and IE, had proprietary tools.

Java was developed as a program language that would allow a tiny program to run in any platform on any browser.

Java has nothing to do with a similarly named JavaScript.

Java is full of holes, but to be fair so are most programming languages. Java updates are good because they fix the holes and exploits. One should always update immediately.

If you don't want this remove Java. I would recommend using the free tool "revo uninstaller" to remove all traces of Java from your computer.

The US government by the way, recommends not installing Java as it's considered an unsecured a platform at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2015

Java is SUPER shady.

When I unclick "Look for Updates Automatically" when I go back it is selected again.

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2015
Need more help? Click Here.