Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

List of food and drinks available in U.S. grocery stores BANNED in other countries because their chemicals are deemed dangerous

List of food and drinks available in U.S. grocery stores BANNED in other countries because their chemicals are deemed too dangerous

•In Singapore, you can get sentenced to 15 years in prison and a $500,000 fine for using a chemical in food products that's common in frozen dinners

•Mtn Dew and products used to keep carpets from catching on fire are made from the same chemical

•A chemical found in Chex Mix is known to cause cancer in rats

If you enjoy snacks and drinks like Mountain Dew, Chex Mix, Hungry Man frozen dinners, or roughly 80 percent of all the packaged foods sold in your average, American grocery store, you may want to sit down before reading this.

Many of the chemicals found in America's most common foods are considered to be so unhealthy that they're actually ILLEGAL in other countries. A new book on nutrition first highlighted by BuzzFeed lists six food additives that are found in a wide range of popular groceries sanctioned by the Food and Drug Administration, but foreign governments have determined to be too dangerous to allow their citizens to consume.

'Rich Food, Poor Food' by Doctor Jayson Calton and Mira Calton, a certified nutritionist, features a list of what the authors call 'Banned Bad Boys' - a list of the ingredients, where they're banned and what caused governments to ban them.

One of the most common 'Bad Boys' is different variations of food coloring, which actually is made from petroleum and is found in everyday items like soda, sports drinks, mac and cheese, cake, candy and several other common, American products.

The chemicals used to make these different dyes have proven to cause various different cancers and can even potentially mutate healthy DNA European countries like Norway, Finland, France and Austria all have banned at least one variation of petroleum-containing food coloring. Another common additive banned in other countries but allowed in the U.S. is Olestra, which essentially is a fat substitute found in products that traditionally have actual fat.

For example, low-fat potato chips like Ruffles Lite, Lays Wow and Pringles fat-free chips all contain Olestra - which is shown to cause the depletion of fat-soluble vitamins. Different brands of fat-free ice cream and mayonnaise at one time also contain the chemical.

Olestra has been banned in several countries, including the United Kingdom and Canada. In 2003, the FDA lifted a requirement forcing companies that use Olestra in their products to include a label warning consumers that the food their eating could cause 'cramps and diarrhea,' despite the fact that the agency received more than 20,000 reports of gastrointestinal complaints among olestra eaters.

Do you like citrus drinks, like Mt. Dew, Squirt or Fresca? Then you also like brominated vegetable oil, which is banned in more than 100 countries because it has been linked to basically every form of thyroid disease - from cancer to autoimmune diseases - known to man.

Other products made from bromine: chemicals used to keep carpets from catching on fire and for disinfecting swimming pools.

Other food products made from brominated vegetable oil include New York brand flatbreads, bagel chips, Baja Burrito wraps and other bread products.

Of brominated vegetable oil, the FDA says it is approved 'for flavoring oils used in fruit-flavored beverages, for which any applicable standards of identity do not preclude such use, in an amount not to exceed 15 parts per million in the finished beverage.'

Then there's things like Hungry Man frozen dinners, which will fill you up - with azodicarbonamide, a chemical used make things like bleach and rubber yoga mats.

Most frozen potato and bread products - like different varieties of McCain brand french fries - contain the chemical, as well as several store brand bread products.

Azodicarbonamide is known to induce asthma, and has been banned in Australia, the U.K. and most other European countries. If you were to use it as a food ingredient in Singapore, you could face up to 15 years in priso

by Anonymousreply 3506/28/2013

So chemicals in foods and beverages that are known to be terrible for you anyway are terrible for you?

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

by Anonymousreply 106/25/2013

Fresca contains something called Esther of Wood Rosin - which just can't be good.

Mustard oil, which is used in South Asian cooking, can only be sold in the U.S. with the label "for external use only" because it is high in euric acid. Hipster chefs are using it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 206/25/2013

Most of that food is absolutely the lowest shit available....nobody with an ounce of brain would serve that garbage. Unfortunately, those brainless people are the ones with tons of kids....and welcome to the future America.

by Anonymousreply 306/25/2013

OP, Thanks for posting. Reading the label on products prevents disappointment, because there's often something that tastes "off." I've also had occasional stomach "distress" post consumption. Now I really know why, and it's not just my "delicate" stomach.

by Anonymousreply 406/25/2013

Is there a list of all of the brands and products containing these chemicals? If there's an easy choice, I'd rather but a different item.

by Anonymousreply 506/25/2013

Cheerios, because they're made from GMO crops.

I quit buying Cheerios when phosphates were deemed to be responsible for the huge fish kills in the 90s. Cheerios' label clearly says it contains TSP (trisodium phosphate), a wallpaper stripper and degreaser that has no place in food. It's listed as the fifth ingredient in Cheerios, after whole grain oats, corn starch, sugar, and salt.

by Anonymousreply 606/25/2013

R6, Long ago I read that Cheerios, while better than most dry cereals, is not as good for you as whole grain bread or oatmeal. Surprised that it contains phosphates, however.

Specifically what other items are banned?

by Anonymousreply 706/25/2013

[quote]Specifically what other items are banned?

By the EU, or under the phosphates ban?

by Anonymousreply 806/25/2013

R8, After reading OP's article, I'd like to avoid eating foods containing banned ingredients, much like I restrict those that contain hydrogenated fat. Mountain Dew was one example; I don't drink soda anyway. Another poster listed Cheerios.

What are the others, especially those that are the "worst of the worst," that I could easily substitute for another, healthier and tastier product?

by Anonymousreply 906/25/2013

R9, the link seems like a pretty comprehensive list.

by Anonymousreply 1006/25/2013

Shop the outside shelves of the supermarket and, whenever possible, buy meat from pastured animals grown by local area farmers. That way you avoid the vast majority of these chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 1106/25/2013

And yet we can't have good cheese. :(

by Anonymousreply 1206/25/2013

I only buy organic grains now. I'm a baker, and a nice unexpected benefit is that the quality of organic grains is superior. I've read so many things about all of the soy crops in the U.S. being contaminated with GMO that I've quit using soy for anything. I only buy organic in other grain products such as cereal.

I buy my grass-fed grass-finished beef from an organic rancher who is a bit of a fanatic about his animals' health. It's easy for me to drive to the ranch and pick it up.

I buy my chicken and eggs directly from an organic farmer.

Most of my fruits and vegetables come from organic farmers.

by Anonymousreply 1306/25/2013

R10, Thanks for the link. I don't buy most of the products listed, except for chocolate, like Baker's unsweetened chocolate for baking. Remember the DL trolls insisting we all buy more expensive and better quality "food from the gods?"

Surprising that so many foods billed as "better for you" (Healthy Choice frozen dinners) really are not. I've known elderly and very ill that can't cook, and live on so-called "healthier" foods on that list. Wonder if it negatively impacted their weakened condition.

by Anonymousreply 1406/25/2013

I've wondered that too, R14. A neighbor who is now deceased pretty much lived on cereal (probably containing GMOs) in the morning, Meals on Wheels for lunch, and a so-called healthy frozen dinner.

by Anonymousreply 1506/25/2013

R15, Do you think that some of these products, especially those marketed as healthier options and heavily used by the elderly and disabled, will now be forced to alter their "formulas?" Remember when many baked goods started advertising "no trans fat?"

Also how much chocolate would one have to eat before it's deemed unhealthy? Since people have very different sensitivities, should everyone be super careful? Some of us don't have lots of options. Please "fat" trolls, I'm not talking about more than a couple of candy bars a week. I just love homemade dark chocolate pudding.

by Anonymousreply 1606/25/2013

Here's another interesting article about avoiding GM foods when you shop.

I followed the links and downloaded the guide, which lists companies participating in the GMO food ban.

by Anonymousreply 1706/25/2013

I'm hoping that happens, R16. I think all of these companies are bound to consider the economic trade-offs.

I wouldn't want to be General Mills' decision-makers who want to continue using the cheaper and more readily available GMO grains but have a growing number of loud and angry mothers breathing down their necks and potentially lower sales volumes.

I don't know how much GMO is safe. I haven't used grocery store chocolate in many years, although plain old Bakers is not a bad chocolate. I think the how much is okay question is one each of us has to answer for ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 1806/25/2013

Aw, I'm broken-hearted over Cheerios.

by Anonymousreply 1906/25/2013

R17, Canoloa oil is on the no-no list. Sure I use olive oil when I can, but not for baking.

by Anonymousreply 2006/25/2013

I was reading through the non-gmo shopping guide and found a company named Multiple Organics.

by Anonymousreply 2106/25/2013

R20, I've been using some organic sunflower or safflower oil for baking, and I've been making ghee from organic butter and using that more than anything.

Canola oil sometimes has an odd chemical sort of off taste that made it unacceptable for baking, even before I found out it was GMO.

by Anonymousreply 2206/25/2013

[quote]Canola oil sometimes has an odd chemical sort of off taste

It's the beginning of its going rancid, which it does more quickly than any other oil. I never use it for this reason. I bake so infrequently, I just use butter.

by Anonymousreply 2306/25/2013

It's odd that taste shows up more when it's used in baked goods than when it's uncooked, R23. I actually threw some things away before I realized it was the oil.

I was buying it from a market that got it from a good source, stored it properly and went through it very fast, so I always figured it should have been fresh.

by Anonymousreply 2406/25/2013

I can always smell when it's turned.

How long did you keep it, R24? I don't think I had the last bottle I bought for more than six weeks. The second time I wanted to use it, I sniffed the open bottle, and ewww.

by Anonymousreply 2506/25/2013

It really is a rank smell, R25, but I only got it from baked goods. The taste was horrible too, like some kind of petrochemical.

The canola oil in the bottle did not have that awful odor or taste, but after my experience with the baked goods I threw it out anyway. I knew I would be hypervigilant and drive myself crazy if I went on using it.

by Anonymousreply 2606/25/2013

Capitalism at work!

by Anonymousreply 2706/25/2013

Perhaps it wasn't the length of time that you stored it but the warm temperature of the room that was the problem. Either way, I know that some of us are far more sensitive to different "off tastes" in food than others.

by Anonymousreply 2806/25/2013

Perhaps, R28. Anyway, there are far too many other options to bother with it again.

Spectrum Organics sells organic high heat safflower and sunflower oils and I've been happy with their performance as all-purpose cooking oils. I also like coconut oil and ghee.

by Anonymousreply 2906/25/2013

[quote]I know that some of us are far more sensitive to different "off tastes" in food than others.

You could not be more right, R29. A friend was over the day I was cleaning out cabinets and threw out the canola oil. He sniffed it, said it didn't bother him, and took it home with him. His husband uses it in this salad dressing he makes. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 3006/25/2013

Oil get rancid quite easily and discreetly.

by Anonymousreply 3106/25/2013

I store my cooking oils in the refrigerator, after pouring some into a small bottle that I get out when I'm cooking. When I clean the kitchen after dinner, I put the oil back in the fridge. That's the only way I've found to keep oil fresh.

by Anonymousreply 3206/25/2013

I never answered you about how long I had that bottle of oil, R25. It was somewhat less than a month, probably 2-3 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 3306/25/2013

Our corrupt government... owned and operated by transnational corporations at this point.

by Anonymousreply 3406/28/2013

Noooo! Not Eggos and Poptarts!

by Anonymousreply 3506/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.