Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

For all my California compatriots ...

Do you maintain earthquake insurance on your home?

I just got a semi annual bill $2,800.00

It goes up every time... I don'tthink I can afford it any more!

by Anonymousreply 1906/26/2013

OP, When I lived in LA, it was well known that certain areas were on the "fault lines." I was lucky, my girlfriend was not. There is data out there to determine higher risk areas.

by Anonymousreply 106/24/2013

I have it but it's about 75% less than yours. It also has a high deductible and crappy coverage. I am in a condo so it would be less than a house anyway. I know the second I drop it we will have an earthquake. I am single-handedly responsible for us NOT having a big earthquake since 1994. :)

by Anonymousreply 206/24/2013

Thank you R2

by Anonymousreply 306/24/2013

Hell, I live in St. Louis and all the insurance companies dropped their earthquake riders years ago - we all have old masonry houses and without impossible levels of retro-fitting the insurance companies say the whole region is uninsurable. Nice catastrophe there's going to be from here to Memphis when the New Madrid blows again.

My agent said that if the ground shakes to turn on the gas before heading to the street. At least that way there will be a chance the fire coverage will take care of some of it.

But in LA where the risk always seems more imminent, $2800 for semi-annual - on top of other coverage, OP? - sounds excessive, based on what my partner's daughter is paying in Sherman Oaks.

by Anonymousreply 406/24/2013

Get another quote OP that's ridiculous !!

by Anonymousreply 506/25/2013

Your agent is a public menace. Turning on gas in a destroyed city. Murderer!

by Anonymousreply 606/25/2013

I live on eastern L I, six miles from the ocean, and they want $5,000 for flood insurance. There's a little pond maybe three miles away that is identified as a "body of water" by the insurance company.

We sustained no damage in Irene or Sandy or in any of the 30 or so noreasters we've had over the past 20 years. We thought we'd get flood insurance just in case it rained for 40 days and 40 nights or something equally biblical.

Guess not.

by Anonymousreply 706/25/2013

New Madrid Fault Zone --

I just hope the Mississippi River doesn't reroute itself downstream after the next Big One.

I am 40 miles away from it and I really don't want to have my home swept down to N.O.

by Anonymousreply 806/25/2013

Mistake! $500 a year and shitty coverage.totally not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 906/25/2013

OP, I pay $280 per YEAR for flood insurance, and I'm in the Katrina zone. You should move to New Orleans.

by Anonymousreply 1006/25/2013

Nope. The deductible is so high, what's the point?

by Anonymousreply 1106/25/2013

I own a home on Maui, a few hundred yards from the beach, and my flood insurance is only about $1,200 a year. Unlike Kauai, which had a major hurricane (Iniki), in '92, and several smaller hits, Maui has dodged any, and a major tsunami has not hit the island, since 1946. That's the only reason I can see for my low premiums.

by Anonymousreply 1206/25/2013

I could have sworn OP asked about earthquake insurance. What's with all the flood stuff?

by Anonymousreply 1306/25/2013

I have it, OP. Why? My house is paid off. I want all the protection I can get. Yes it's sucky coverage -- 10% deductible. But my policy is a lot cheaper than yours -- $500 a year. I think it's because I live in the hills and the house is built on bedrock, not fill. But I'm only guessing.

My fear is this: if, god forbid, Republicans take over the White House again, FEMA is going to drag its feet on helping out blue state California after an earthquake. We'll need whatever private insurance protection we can get.

by Anonymousreply 1406/25/2013

Not to derail the thread, but I back at my parents house in Orange County to clear out the house and sell it. I have noticed that most of the multi-story buildings from my youth are gone. Basically, everything is 2-3 stories. Is this because all of the 4+ story buildings from the 50s and 60s didn't meet earthquake codes? All of the Hollywood Regency and Venetian style office buildings and department stores are gone.

by Anonymousreply 1506/25/2013

Orange County was built lastnight. I don't think you'll find anything older than 20 years old there.

by Anonymousreply 1606/25/2013

Maybe you can live in a bouncy castle or something.

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2013

Where in Orange County R15? I don't remember any of these buildings you speak of.

by Anonymousreply 1806/26/2013

R18, the ones I remember were in Santa Ana, Fullerton, Anaheim, Orange area.

by Anonymousreply 1906/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.