Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Identical Twins: One Straight, One Gay

On Big Brother UK, they're in there.

So, "identical" doesn't mean identical in every way, does it? Wouldn't both of them have to be gay if homosexuality is genetic? Perhaps that would prove that homosexuality is biological but not genetic?

It fascinates me, and it's actually opening up a lot of debate with viewers.

They're fat and funny, btw. Nice guys.

by Anonymousreply 3706/28/2013

There is lilely a genetic element to it, but other factors are involved.

by Anonymousreply 106/24/2013

So far, the evidence suggest that sexuality is congenital, not genetic. If that is true then it makes sense one twin would be gay and the other not.

by Anonymousreply 206/24/2013

Not attractive. Don't care.

by Anonymousreply 306/24/2013

All of the identical twins I have ever met seem to be of the same orientation with the exception of a female set where one woman is a straight married actress and the other is a firefighter in a lez relationship. I have to admit as a woman, knowing how "fluid" a woman's sexuality can be in certain cases(certainly not all) I am less impressed by this particular case. If I were to meet a male identical set of twins in which one was a family man type, while the other was a thriving gay man, that would be extremely interesting(to study).

by Anonymousreply 406/24/2013

I just have to roll my eyes when gay & straight friends alike argue that it is axiomatic that sexuality is 100% genetic.

by Anonymousreply 506/24/2013

Is it that actress from Baywatch and her sister, R4?

by Anonymousreply 606/24/2013

Sexual orientation has multiple factors. Not just one thing. And twins do have a couple of genes that are NOT identical.

by Anonymousreply 706/24/2013

Yes it is. R4

by Anonymousreply 806/24/2013

Actually identical twins study indicate there is a genetic link in homosexuality.

If one (identical) twin is gay there is a 50% chance the other will be gay. This is significantly higher than fraternal twins which also share many similar biological conditions but the genetics are different.

Just because something is genetic does not mean there is a one-to-one causal relationship where one specific allele of a gene causes in phenotype. In most cases that isn't true because genetics is complicated.

Also just because something has a genetic component to a phenotype does not mean there aren't other biological factors which contribute to that phenotype being seen.

too lazy, didn't read: Biology is more complicated than most people understand, but information from twins indicates there is a genetic component to homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 906/24/2013

I'm an identical twin, male. My brother is a straight family man, small business owner type (though he is such a misogynist, I've often suspected, for no other reason, that he is gay). But yeah, he's straight. I'm gay, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 1006/24/2013

On the show Orphan Black, they have 1 lesbian clone, and the rest are pretty much straight. Its not a big deal for them, and they never hint that the rest of the clones could possibly be gay. It appears that sexuality can be influenced by hormones in the womb. They all do appear to have mental issues, though!

by Anonymousreply 1106/24/2013

I am an identical twin also who is 100% gay and the other s 100% straight. We have so many other things in common except for orientation. It has always been amazing to us and friends and family how exactly the same we are except this.

by Anonymousreply 1206/24/2013

Is there some reason you didnt want to just say the name, R4?

by Anonymousreply 1306/24/2013

Think about it this way. A woman carries the breast cancer gene. That doesn't mean that she will get breast cancer, but it does raise her risk to - in some cases - over 80%. So identical twin women can carry the gene same but only one might get cancer. Does that mean that it isn't genetic?

by Anonymousreply 1406/24/2013

R14, in contrast to the breast cancer gene, has a gene that implicates sexuality ever been identified?

by Anonymousreply 1506/24/2013

What if gay fetuses are just more likely to absorb their twins in utero? Hmmm?

by Anonymousreply 1606/24/2013

One of the best theories I've seen is that sexuality is about exposure to hormones while in the womb. Of course, there may be multiple factors in play but I don't think that sexuality is 100% genetic.. but I do think it's biological.

by Anonymousreply 1706/25/2013

Mom always like YOU best!

by Anonymousreply 1806/25/2013

"though he is such a misogynist, I've often suspected, for no other reason, that he is gay"

What a bizarre assumption to make. The only misogynistic gays I've ever met were here on the DL. Many, many gay men are actually feminist.

by Anonymousreply 1906/25/2013

r12- are you mirror twins?

by Anonymousreply 2006/25/2013

R4, I knew exactly who you meant as well.

by Anonymousreply 2106/25/2013

It used to be assumed that if one identical twin was gay the other invariably was gay also (and of course the same applying for straight twins), but the best recent studies (eg Swedish study of all twins in the country) indicate the issue is much more complex. A strong genetic component appears to be involved (higher rates of both identical twins being gay than seen among fraternal twins or other siblings). However, specific environmental factors also were involved.

by Anonymousreply 2206/25/2013

[quote]It used to be assumed that if one identical twin was gay the other invariably was gay also

Really? When was that? Because it's not terribly difficult to determine if the other twin is gay. You can simply ask him. And when you do, you find that they are far from invariably gay.

by Anonymousreply 2306/25/2013

In siblings, one child being gay has little correlation the other being gay.

In fraternal twins (same womb, different eggs & sperm), one child being gay has little correlation to the other child being gay, just as in separate siblings.

In identical twins (same womb, egg, & sperm), if one child is gay, the chances of the other also being gay is dramatically higher than in fraternal or sibling cases.

This alone shows two things:

1) Because there is MUCH higher correlation, there is obviously SOME genetic component to sexual orientation

2) Because there is not an EXACT correlation, there is obviously some non-genetic component to sexual orientation

Human sexuality is complex. It's not an on/off switch.

by Anonymousreply 2406/25/2013

[quote] If you could measure their arousal, it would be identical.

You can and they aren't.

by Anonymousreply 2606/25/2013

Show me that study R26.

by Anonymousreply 2706/25/2013

I can't because I made it up just like you.

by Anonymousreply 2806/25/2013

One is openly gay and the other is straight but fools around a little.

Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 2906/25/2013

Please, have some compassion people.

by Anonymousreply 3006/25/2013

Interesting thread

by Anonymousreply 3106/27/2013

[quote]So, "identical" doesn't mean identical in every way, does it?

Well, no. For example if one of them was hit by a car, one might be alive and the other one dead.

by Anonymousreply 3206/27/2013

[quote]So, "identical" doesn't mean identical in every way, does it?

Identical twins have unique finger-prints and retinal patterns.

by Anonymousreply 3306/27/2013

My twin and I are both gay, so I can't relate.

by Anonymousreply 3406/27/2013

A lot of the body's growth is due to environmental influence such as diet and sensory stimulation. So two twins, no matter how similar the environment and diet, are bound to have significant differences in the organs most affected such as skin and the brain. Indeed, the brain wires itself according to its environment, so it is the least heritable organ in the body.

by Anonymousreply 3506/28/2013

Who says the straight one is telling the truth?

by Anonymousreply 3606/28/2013

Genes don't express in isolation there's a theory that environment plays a role in most/all genetic expression. I think too often people think of the dominant/recessive thing when in fact genetic expression is more complicated than that, so same sex attraction is likely the result of a genetic predisposition but you need certain environmental factors to develop that trait. Either way it's hardwired in the brain. 'Identical' twins are very very similar but do have genetic and epigentic differences and also actually start off with a different environment (one twin gets nutrients etc first) so they may both have that genetic predisposition (indicated by the high concordance rates found with identical twins) but environmetal/epigenetics dictates what sexuality trait (so to speak) they have. I'm by no means an expert though and my background is psychology not genetics but that's my (likely flawed) understanding of it.

by Anonymousreply 3706/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.