Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My new neighbors just put up a CLOTHESLINE!

In their yard! It's visible from the street! This is not that kind of neighborhood. What kind of trash puts up a clothesline?

by Anonymousreply 23309/08/2013

They're actually going to dry their clothes? Oh lord, there went the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 106/24/2013

[quote]My new neighbors just put up a CLOTHESLINE! In their yard! It's visible from the street! This is not that kind of neighborhood. What kind of trash puts up a clothesline?

It's posts like this that made me wish humans ate their young.

by Anonymousreply 306/24/2013

[quote]This is not that kind of neighborhood.

They let YOU in, didn't they?

by Anonymousreply 406/24/2013

OP, you're so trashy.

by Anonymousreply 506/24/2013

I actually love them. In the backyard. I can still remember watching/helping my mother hang clothes on it with old-fashioned clothespins . It is such a great photo-op.

by Anonymousreply 606/24/2013

OP's usual method of drying laundry.

by Anonymousreply 706/24/2013

It's an environmental thing--dryers use enormous amounts of energy. Some people like the way linens smell when they're dried outdoors. Query whether they have to keep it up all the time.

by Anonymousreply 806/24/2013

CLOTHESLINES are not attractive looking to be seen! Don't you get it? I'm not happy with my neighbors!!

by Anonymousreply 906/24/2013

Clotheslines are making a comeback as a green alternative, good for the planet, energy efficient thing. OP, you are no longer hip enough to live in your neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 1006/24/2013

I'll give them about two weeks before they're not happy with you either. I'm in a charitable mood today or I would give it less time than that.

by Anonymousreply 1106/24/2013

Some homeowners feel Clotheslines will lower property vales, especially when someone is trying to sell their house

by Anonymousreply 1206/24/2013

I'm thinking it's hip to have a clothesline in Portland, for all three months it could be used.

by Anonymousreply 1306/24/2013

Six pins, Delores! Six pins!

by Anonymousreply 1406/24/2013

That property values b.s. is as good an excuse as any to try to control other people, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1506/24/2013

When I was a kid we had a little room with no roof in the back yard for drying clothes.

Not that my mom ever used it.

by Anonymousreply 1706/24/2013

OP the only time clothes will be on that line is during the daytime, when you would be at work. So, which is it OP? Are you unemployed? If thats the case, you have bigger issues to deal with. Or maybe you're on disability, no doubt because you have a stick lodged up your ass. Or maybe you're retired, in which case you are old and will be dead soon so no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 1806/24/2013

That's as cold and chapped as my hands have ever been, R16.

by Anonymousreply 1906/24/2013

R18 people are off work during the weekends.

That is usually laundry day

by Anonymousreply 2006/24/2013

There was a ban on clotheslines in the Hamptons in the early 2000s; it was repealed when town board members recognized it was an environmentally conscious thing and a great energy saver. So if you can have a clothesline in the Hamptons, I think OP's subdivision in Bumfucke can sustain its property values.

by Anonymousreply 2106/24/2013

Martha Stewart loves to line dry her bed linens. She did a segment on it on her show. OP you need to call Martha and let her know that she's complete and utter trash. Shame on that trashy Martha. Just pure white trash.

by Anonymousreply 2206/24/2013

R20 That makes OP's shit fit even more pathetic. One day out of the week there will be clothes on a line and she is having a meltdown. All Hail OP, Drama Queen Extraordinaire!!

by Anonymousreply 2306/24/2013

I feel sorry for the new people living next to OP. How long did it take for them to decide they had to get away from him?

by Anonymousreply 2406/24/2013

Six pins, Dolores! You know that's how I like it!

by Anonymousreply 2506/24/2013

Would you get over it?! That clothesline just so happens to save me some MONEY!

by Anonymousreply 2606/24/2013

I am upscale, I have a clothes line outdoors. I use it to dry clothes and sheets. I prefer line dried sheets in particular.

My neighbors are ghetto though. They hang their clothes on the fence. Now that is low rent.

by Anonymousreply 2706/24/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2806/24/2013

It is low rent, R27. They're poor consumers. They're supposed to spend the money to get poles put in the ground and have the clothelines installed, and then buy clothespins, baskets and the other things they would need if they weren't saving money.

by Anonymousreply 2906/24/2013

Only suburban White people would complain about something so practical and minor.

I used when I was a kid. I use a dryer now since my yard's too small to hang my laundry. Shame, drying in the sun worked better than any machine; you just had to remember to bring your clothes back in before sunset, which I usually forget to do lol.

by Anonymousreply 3006/24/2013

During the energy crisis in CA it was suggested that people use a clothes line rather than an electric dryer. Neighborhood groups were outraged! To hell with the energy crisis, clothes lines were tacky! It is amazing the number of communities in CA where clothes lines are illegal.

by Anonymousreply 3106/24/2013

Clotheslines and gardens and chickens are in

Cars and SUVs and McMansions are out

by Anonymousreply 3206/24/2013

I'm not sure if I would hang my clothes on a line in some parts of CA. The air quality is too poor. Who wants glowing nuclear soot on their bedsheets?

by Anonymousreply 3306/24/2013

I understand, OP.

My neighbors bought the 10-room townhouse next door to our house last year. But they're both MDs and he's a university biggie, and they came from the Southwest, and they're all phony-baloney environmentalists.

So they shut off the gaslight, ride bicycles to work (he does - I think she has early-onset dementia because she keeps trying to push the property line over and calls the garden plants and trees we've put in "mine.") and put up clotheslines in their tiny yard. Out it all goes, and what a sad combination of sensible cottons and old lady panties it is. And the clothesline is under a big sycamore tree - lord. And she's out there with a manual push mower.

God, I loathe phony hippies who buy big, count their money, contribute nothing, and pretend to earth-saving actions about which they sniff at others for not emulating. To be nice I took home-baked goodies over for the holidays and told them how nice it was to have them as neighbors. Not even a thank you.

So watch it, OP. It's a symptom.

by Anonymousreply 3406/24/2013

Here a website that tells how to swat back those pesky HOAs.

The HOAs are losing the fight in many places, as they surely should.

by Anonymousreply 3506/24/2013

Absolutely R32 Martha Stewart raves about her chickens and her gardens. Shes so trashy. Pure white trash I tell you.

by Anonymousreply 3606/24/2013

Is not having a clothes line an American thing? Apart from people who live in apartments, I've never known anyone not to have one, even if it's small. Dryers are terrible for the environment and the sun is a natural antiseptic, so most people I know prefer to hang their clothes out, using the dryer only on rainy days. I guess it's easy for me to say as I live somewhere warm and windy and most of my clothes are dry within a few hours. I realise that's not everyones reality, but surely some parts of the states fall within this category.

by Anonymousreply 3706/24/2013

The Right to Dry.

by Anonymousreply 3806/24/2013

I miss using a clothes line. So efficient, good for the environment, clothes last longer and smell fresher. I never see them anymore, and I suppose it might look out of place in a very wealthy neighborhood, but I can't imagine it would matter that much. If they had a rusted school bus maybe, but clothesline?

by Anonymousreply 3906/24/2013

Well, you know what comes next....

by Anonymousreply 4006/24/2013

I have one here in Phoenix. Takes five minutes in the summer for things to dry. I love it. The alternative is the dryer running for hours.

by Anonymousreply 4106/24/2013

How OP usually dries his clothes:

by Anonymousreply 4206/24/2013

Probably the same trash that can see their neighbor's front yard. Have you no gates?

by Anonymousreply 4306/24/2013

Fuck you all. OP is right. It's an eyesore.

by Anonymousreply 4506/24/2013

Clotheslines are the opposite of trashy. Trashy is using energy that you don't need to use.

Is it true that some American cities have laws against clotheslines? Disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 4606/24/2013

[quote]This is not that kind of neighborhood.

Apparently, it is.

by Anonymousreply 4806/24/2013

The only woman on my block who hates the mere *idea* of a clothesline is a pretentious cunt who grew up poor but happened to marry a man who made a good bit of money.

Our neighborhood allows clotheslines as long as they are not visible from the street.

This woman can see a few feet of her neighbor's clothesline from her backyard when she stands on her tip toes and cranes her neck.

What a bitch!

Those of you who think they should be banned, specifically, what is your beef.

Provide proof if you believe they lower property values. If not for that reason, are you embarrassed when you see laundry drying outdoors?

What is the root cause of your dislike?

by Anonymousreply 4906/24/2013

I live in Denver. It gets really windy here, and dust flies everywhere. Wouldn't this stick to your sheets and clothing? I also have a lot of pigeons outside...poop on my sheets would not be good. I wish I could line dry to save electricity though.

by Anonymousreply 5006/24/2013

I wish I had a clothesline. I hate dryers.

by Anonymousreply 5106/24/2013

What kind of trashy neighborhood does OP live in that one can see the backyards from the street? No fences, hedges, trees, etc.? How do people sunbathe in the nude, or grow marijuana?

by Anonymousreply 5206/24/2013

I could not live in the vicinity of a household that used a clothesline OP. Imagine the airborne bacteria from that trashy line. I am truly horrified that the Centers for Disease Control have not prioritized this.

by Anonymousreply 5306/24/2013

OP, I live in one of the most expensive zipcodes in the US and I am in the Northeast. I use a clothesline outdoors as well as indoors. In my neighborhood no one can see anyone else's backyard so perhaps that is why I don't find it the least bit offensive.

by Anonymousreply 5406/24/2013

The neighbors in question don't have a fence, just a rock wall that was built in the 1700's or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 5506/24/2013

The cunts of DataLounge have blessed clotheslines. An Oscar for Pia Zadora can't be far behind.

by Anonymousreply 5606/24/2013

Whisky Tango.

by Anonymousreply 5706/24/2013

Gypsies, obviously. Get another set of locks.

by Anonymousreply 5806/24/2013

This thread didn't just hit a nerve. It stabbed that nerve, raped it, sodomized it, and then left it for dead in the gutter.

by Anonymousreply 5906/24/2013

R44 You do realize that the air outside is often times cleaner that the air circulating in your home. Although smog is not a problem where I live. R45 Those are probably the exact words that OP's neighbors said when they saw him. "Its an eyesore."

by Anonymousreply 6006/24/2013

Clothelines are fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 6106/24/2013

Our CC&Rs has a prohibition against clotheslines, but we couldn't get the requisite 75% of owners to vote to form an association.

So I went out and got a clothesline (which is not visible from the street, just the neighbor on one side of us), and I hang my bed linens on the line when the weather allows (southern NV, 2 hrs to dry all the sheets).

I love it.

And fuck those who are so pretentious that they rail against it (like OP).

by Anonymousreply 6206/24/2013

lol, I love r59

Link is to clotheslines laws & in 26 states if your HOA says no, state law trumps them, ie you can!

by Anonymousreply 6306/24/2013

Some of you are very insufferable!

by Anonymousreply 6406/24/2013

Link is to my dryer rack that I just bought, USA made (from that other thread). I bought the large one on the rack and am using it.

I've been really sick so I haven't done the laundry yet, but will dry my sheets on it. Right now just drying swim suits on it.

I don't have any clothespins yet, not sure I'll need it.

FWIW, the KWH to dry is pretty high, like 3KWH per load. If you live in PGE territory that is usually about .30 per KWH, not cheap.

by Anonymousreply 6506/24/2013

fuck-off OP. Maybe they wanted to save some energy. Go stick your head in a toilet and flush.

by Anonymousreply 6606/24/2013

There's a film for our side!

by Anonymousreply 6706/24/2013

Unless you live in the country, clothesline = trash. THREAD CLOSED!

by Anonymousreply 6806/24/2013

Are they also...divorcees, OP?

by Anonymousreply 6906/24/2013

This is what comes next:

by Anonymousreply 7006/24/2013

r68 = grew up poor, clotheslines remind him/her of that heritage.

Are you in OK or TX?

by Anonymousreply 7106/24/2013

What kind of trash is worried about what their neighbors do?

by Anonymousreply 7206/24/2013

That is a dark-sided floating sofa, R70.

by Anonymousreply 7306/24/2013

Thanks R67.

So basically, people who hate clotheslines and who feel that they need to "live better electrically" have been brainwashed by the likes of Reagan. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 7406/24/2013

R68 Its all that trashy white trash Martha Stewart's fault. You should give call her and put her in her place. Tell her that she is absolutely pure trash and you and OP are not going to tolerate it anymore. Tell her that you demand satisfaction. Maybe you and OP can give her some etiquette lessons. Hell did Amy Vanderbuilt up and take her to Martha's stat.

by Anonymousreply 7506/24/2013

Nothing screams petty control freak better than declaring "THREAD CLOSED!"

by Anonymousreply 7606/24/2013

"Our neighborhood allows clotheslines as long as they are not visible from the street."

I think this should be the general rule for clotheslines. I don't mind them, and most of the time you can't see them, so stop complaining!

by Anonymousreply 7706/24/2013

I'd sell a kidney to have a cat scrubbing monkey!

by Anonymousreply 7806/24/2013

Tell you what, OP/R55/R59, since you think your clothesline neighbours are poor white trash, and they're the only people in the whole neighbourhood with a line..... Get the rest if the district together, all chip in some money, and offer the neighbours $250,000 more than their house is worth to sell it to the rest of you. Then your homes will keep their value, the neighbours will go, and you can let the house with the condition that clotheslines are not allowed.

Or you could just stop being such a frau, and get over yourself, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 7906/24/2013

[quote]CLOTHESLINES are not attractive looking to be seen! Don't you get it?

No, not when you put it like that.

by Anonymousreply 8006/24/2013

Love r14

I have to watch that movie again.

by Anonymousreply 8106/24/2013

You're kidding right op? Every commonwealth country has these. Its a staple of life here. It is also environmentally friendly.

by Anonymousreply 8206/24/2013

People who worry about their neighbors' activities' effect on the area are so marginal that they can probably be dismissed as trash.

by Anonymousreply 8306/24/2013

Our 1920s town allows them but only in a "drying yard".

Nearly every house originally had a "drying yard". Usually a fenced side porch off the kitchen and garage which also doubled as a trash yard.

Many have been ripped out over the years as everyone bought a clothes dryer and new home owners are now "shocked" to find they have to put them back if they want to line dry their clothes.

Since line drying has become so trendy again, the city is considering making it MANDATORY to build a drying yard again for all new construction.

by Anonymousreply 8406/24/2013

Clothesline art

by Anonymousreply 8506/24/2013

OP is one shallow MF if his/her big issue is a clothesline on a neighbor's property. Jesus-fucking-Christ! When I was a kid, using a clothesline was commonly used, and the dryer only when weather was not permitting. Now we have these empty-headed snobs who think it's no longer socially acceptable to use a fucking clothesline. WTF?!

by Anonymousreply 8606/24/2013

Fake, R85. At least they could have ironed out the creases.

by Anonymousreply 8706/24/2013

Nobody wants to look at the neighbor's shit-stained underwear.

by Anonymousreply 8806/24/2013

Speak for yourself, R88.

by Anonymousreply 8906/24/2013

Can someone explain how these were used? Do you have an agreement with the neighbor across the way?

by Anonymousreply 9006/24/2013

Back when everyone had a clothesline, I don't recall people standing around looking at the laundry to see if the underwear had skidmarks. It's probably symptomatic of having too much time on one's hands.

by Anonymousreply 9106/24/2013

More clothesline art:

by Anonymousreply 9206/24/2013

As W&W reminds you people holding Martha up as some model of refinement...the woman did TIME.

by Anonymousreply 9306/24/2013

If we brought back clotheslines, we'd have new plot devices for every kooky television show and movie.

by Anonymousreply 9406/24/2013

The downsides of clothes lines were that you had to worry about birds shitting on your newly washed clothes, the sun fading out colors, making sure you washed on a day rain wasn't in the forecast, and bugs (especially those little black ones) sticking to them.

by Anonymousreply 9506/24/2013

R93 for w&w please

by Anonymousreply 9606/24/2013

[quote]the woman did TIME.

by Anonymousreply 9706/24/2013

R95 -

In six years of line drying, I haven't had any of the problems you cite.

Lucky me, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 9906/24/2013

R93 I'm not holding that trash bag up as a model of refinement. However her book and magazine sells are.

by Anonymousreply 10006/24/2013

Actually, if you BLEACH your fucking underwear before washing them, the skid marks are eliminated! we have a society that is too dimwitted to bleach undies but looks down on people who use a clothesline! Go figure...

by Anonymousreply 10106/24/2013

[quote]and NEWSWEEK

by Anonymousreply 10206/24/2013

R98, are hipsters circumcised? Do they wish they were or weren't?

by Anonymousreply 10306/24/2013

As long as the clothesline is not visible to others, I don't see the problem.

by Anonymousreply 10406/24/2013

R101 Underwear should not have skid marks.

by Anonymousreply 10506/24/2013

Who still wears white underwear? Where do you even buy it?

by Anonymousreply 10606/24/2013

White unders are bought cheap from the drugstore. You don't need to use bleach on them if you dry them outside because the sun bleaches them out.

Here's a better link for the drying rack I'm using, yes it cost me $70, but I love it. Made in the USA in Maine for 50 years, and it does not wobble.

by Anonymousreply 10706/24/2013

Hey! Here's a better idea regarding skid marks -- don't make any!

Learn how to wipe your damn ass!

by Anonymousreply 10806/24/2013

I remember our towels and jeans used to feel very scratchy right off the line. But the sheets were fine, and smelled very fresh.

by Anonymousreply 10906/24/2013

What's wrong with a clothesline? Fresh air makes your clothes smell fresher than any dryer could.

by Anonymousreply 11006/24/2013

R84 is beyond ridiculous. I'm a preservation consultant and yes, drying yards were common about two centuries ago. The purpose of a drying yard was mostly about keeping animals out of that area and not to shield your Nasty Pig enhancement undies from the neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 11106/24/2013

[quote]Clotheslines are making a comeback as a green alternative, good for the planet, energy efficient thing. OP, you are no longer hip enough to live in your neighborhood.

So true. Perfect. There really is no substitute for clothes that have been dried in the sun, yet some people think it's comparable to the poor who can't afford a Whirlpool Duet.

by Anonymousreply 11206/24/2013

When did DataLounge become overrun with the Amish? Where have the spoiled gay men gone?

by Anonymousreply 11306/24/2013

Clotheslines = a nicer way to dry laundry.

by Anonymousreply 11406/24/2013

Ain't nobody got a sensayuma anymore?

by Anonymousreply 11506/24/2013

Drip dry aint so bad.

If its good enough for Princess Anne then its good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 11606/24/2013

[quote]Where have the spoiled gay men gone?

Hopefully off the side of a cliff.

by Anonymousreply 11806/24/2013

[quote]I think clotheslines are trashy

And we think you are trashy. And insufferable. And a snob. So THERE!

by Anonymousreply 11906/24/2013

I'm a woman but my husband thinks exactly like r117 I think he's my husband's long lost twin actually.

Still, I overruled him and got a drying rack. Most people think of us as hipsters btw.

by Anonymousreply 12006/24/2013

Line drying of laundry should not be lumped with those other things, fussy gay man OP, especially if the drying laundry cannot be seen from the street.

Get over yourself, pretentious poot.

by Anonymousreply 12106/24/2013

So OP is a pretentious twat then? Here's hoping the neighbors cut the lawn EVERY OTHER WEEK!!

by Anonymousreply 12206/24/2013

OP... I think you are the handwringer. Making such a fuss over nothing at all. So, while your wringing, grab a from-the-washer towel. Then hang it on the line.

Besides saving energy to run a dryer (about an hour for each load), line drying saves wear and tear on you clothes and linens. Tumble in the dryer is responsible for wearing down fabric (which is why things are so soft from the dryer... fabric softener contributes to this).

Oh, and get a load of this. For items to large for the line... I toss 'em over a hedge to dry them on the sun.

The best.

by Anonymousreply 12406/24/2013

I'm not effem-inate, I'm quite masculine actually. But I have nothing against effem-inate gay men and I think the shit they get from other gay men (their own kind, for god's sake!) is terrible. I have never been prejudiced in that way.

by Anonymousreply 12506/24/2013

[quote]I'm not effem-inate, I'm quite masculine actually.

Yeah, nothing says MAN like having a hissyfit over a clothes line.

by Anonymousreply 12606/24/2013

[quote] I'm quite masculine actually

Oh? Quite?

by Anonymousreply 12706/24/2013

Someone mentioned bleach to clean undies. I went to a neighborhood party recently, and I wore a white shirt. One of the ladies asked how I could wear white to a bbq. I responded that I can bleach the shirt if I get a stain, and the women acted all high and mighty, saying that they would NEVER use bleach, and will only oxyclean their clothing. Fucking fat, tacky bitches just want to screw my partner. Sometimes bleach is best at removing stains and brightening clothing.

by Anonymousreply 12806/24/2013

R118 I agree. Snobbery is not cute.

by Anonymousreply 12906/24/2013

Where did this notion begin that a clothes line is "trashy?" It's not perceived that way in any other place in the world and in fact doesn't seem to be the belief in many parts of the states either.

Was this idea started by the California electricity suppliers that managed to convince people that paying to do something that is otherwise free is non trashy? Or was it perpetuated by manufacturers of white goods? How is it that in some parts of California it is mandatory to use a dryer? Which is less hygienic and much more expensive. How was this right taken away? If the air is so polluted that you don't want to hang your clothes out in it, how can you stand to breathe it?

I've had a clothes line all my life, birds have, never pooped on on my clothes, bugs have never stuck to it, the only way your clothes would fade is if you left them out there for weeks in the blazing sun. The sun kills germs that dryers don't. Who has visible clothesline, why is this such a concern? All of my neighbours (in my wealthy neighbourhood) have clotheslines and I can't see any of them. Yes we all have dryers too but only the most lazy use them exclusively.

This "a clothesline is trashy idea" is a scam. When did it start? And how was it executed so brilliantly that people don't even question having to pay to dry their clothes?

by Anonymousreply 13006/24/2013

OP you need to move to a progressive upscale gay friendly neighborhood in the northeast and get a clue.

by Anonymousreply 13106/24/2013

[quote][R84] is beyond ridiculous. I'm a preservation consultant and yes, drying yards were common about two centuries ago. The purpose of a drying yard was mostly about keeping animals out of that area and not to shield your Nasty Pig enhancement undies from the neighbors.

Well they were standard issue on all the 1950's ranch houses in my hood.

Probably due to the city code.

by Anonymousreply 13206/24/2013

DL is just not fun anymore. Schoolmarms in every thread.

by Anonymousreply 13306/24/2013

[quote]This "a clothesline is trashy idea" is a scam. When did it start?

It was a reaction to the trashy slums of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 13406/24/2013

OP reminds me of Margaret Drysdale complaining about "those hillbillies" next door.

by Anonymousreply 13506/24/2013

I had a Aunt who had what was called a washer room. Most families had a woman who came to their home and did the laundry (1910? 1920?) It was a rather long building, for clothes lines. It seemed kind of unique, when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 13606/24/2013

Great picture r134. I'm assuming this is also the origin of the expression "airing your dirty laundry"?

by Anonymousreply 13706/24/2013

Airing your dirty laundry would be trying to freshen your dirty stinky clothes without washing them.

Clothes washing (before the automated washer) was a huge all-day chore, usually performed once a week.

by Anonymousreply 13806/24/2013

My mom still uses clothesline to dry her washing. Everything smells great off the clothesline.

by Anonymousreply 13906/24/2013

This will really bring OP over the edge, some old NYC tenements with clotheslines.

These buildings, in downtown NYC, are most likely now renovated into high end apartments with absurd rents to match!

Someone here asked how clotheslines worked, most clothelines were attached to wooden poles. Usually, the clotheslines did not span completely across to the other tenement across the backyards.

by Anonymousreply 14006/24/2013

Apparently there are still a few clotheslines in big metropolitan cities.

You've got to save money somewhere, especially when you are paying $3000+ to live in a shoebox!

by Anonymousreply 14106/24/2013

[quote]I have never been prejudiced in that way.

No, not in THAT way...

by Anonymousreply 14206/24/2013

[quote] They're actually going to dry their clothes? Oh lord, there went the neighborhood.

Maybe you should let your shit and cum stained caftan dry on a clothesline, ! MARY !

by Anonymousreply 14306/24/2013

As R65 mentioned, dryers have an electrical consumption of about 3 kWh per load. Except for air conditioning in hot climates, that's the highest single use of power in the average home.

And the environmental effect goes well beyond the dryer's consumption. Even more energy is wasted when the dryer vents heated or cooled air outside, replacing it with untreated air that has to be heated or cooled all over again. For most people, limiting dryer use is the single most effective thing they can do for the environment.

Shallow, stuck-up, empty-headed prisspots sniveling about the shock of seeing neighbors' laundry really should have their flapping cakeholes stuffed with dryer lint.

Got that, OP? Good, now get stuffed!

by Anonymousreply 14406/24/2013

I want to go to Vegas with R144!

by Anonymousreply 14506/24/2013

I installed one in my backyard last week,In part to this post talked me into it!

by Anonymousreply 14606/24/2013

You want to try that one again, r146?

by Anonymousreply 14706/24/2013

I have clotheslines and I feel like it's a luxury to be able to dry my bedding outside. It smells great. Of course it's also practical to dry heavy items like towels, rugs and quilts.

by Anonymousreply 14806/24/2013

Just reporting that I dried my cotton percale sheets this morning on my clothesline.

I put them out before I left for my charity work, and when I came home at noon, all bed linens were dry and smelling great.

My bed is noe remade and now I'm going to take my afternoon nap.

THIS is what I worked my ass off for so many years.

Ahhhhhh ......

by Anonymousreply 14906/25/2013

At what point did seeing your neighbour's clothes drying on a line become something that could ruin your life ? Are you really so fucked up that a glimpse of clean underwear, hanging out there, can shock or corrupt you? Or those shirts, arms occasionally touching like two cheap whores in a backroom bar, that could turn your children on to sex and drugs ? Or is it the thought of the bedlinen, flapping in the breeze but obviously marked with the sins of naked flesh, carnal desires and never-to-be-removed stains from bodily fluids, that drove your Mammy to the county madhouse ?

Or do you just live in some prissy, sterile fantasy world, where the signs of peoples' real lives should be shameful and secret ?

I smell big, big Mary here, and I ain't talking 'bout no washer woman.

by Anonymousreply 15006/26/2013

Clothes no longer smell good when hung outside to dry anymore. Now they smell like ozone.

by Anonymousreply 15106/26/2013

Well, this thread is an eye opener.

We Aussies always hang our wet laundry outside on clothes lines. They used to be made by an Aussie company called Hills Hoists (now made in China.)

Then again our washing gets dry even in winter, if it doesn't rain.

by Anonymousreply 15206/26/2013

Threads like this are Datalounge gold!

by Anonymousreply 15306/26/2013

R52- yes, we'd be lost without our Hills Hoists. I think Tasmania is the only state where they have to use dryers because of the freezing, wet winters.

by Anonymousreply 15406/26/2013

Who would think the humble clothesline would attract such loons, haters and imbeciles?

Don't ever move to Australia - we hang our clothes on, GASP, clotheslines!!

We have more important things to worry about - like our ludicrous, embarrassing Prime Ministers, male and female.

by Anonymousreply 15506/26/2013

Drying my whites today -- briefs, t-shirts, towels, polo shirt, athletic socks, etc.

If I knew how to use Tiny Pic or Flickr, etc. I'd show DL my clothesline.

by Anonymousreply 15606/26/2013

Thank you for that pronouncement, r151.

However you ARE a big ole idiot.

by Anonymousreply 15706/26/2013

Maybe the kind of trash who wants to join with others to save tens of millions of dollars of electricity and by doing so perhaps save the planet.

by Anonymousreply 15806/26/2013

R143, I was joking, stupid.

by Anonymousreply 15906/26/2013

To reiterate the 3 KWH. That is 90 KWH per month. In PGE territory that probably puts you into a higher pricing bracket, you could be paying .35 per KWH if you live anywhere in the PGE area - and that sucks, it would mean an extra $31.50 on your already high PGE bill btw. Add in ac at 5 kilowatts per hour and...oy vey!

by Anonymousreply 16006/26/2013

What is PGE, Pacific Gas and Electric?

by Anonymousreply 16106/26/2013

Yes, PGE is Pacific Gas & Electric, one of the priciest electricity companies in the USA. I need to find a list of what the lowest vs the highest are, as far as I know, PGE is one of the highest, if not the highest in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 16206/26/2013

During my salad days, I bought a portable washer that rolled up to the kitchen sink. I also had one of those wooden racks to put the clothes on to dry. In the winter, I would put the rack in front of the steam heat register. The clothes would be dry in under 30 minutes.

As I said in another thread, we bought a front loading washer a while back. We noticed the whites were getting dingy. Finally we bought a top loading machine again, just for whites. The front loader works beautifully with color fabrics.

by Anonymousreply 16306/26/2013

I know a lot about energy r162.

See link.

Used to work for an energy trading company, and before that, a big regulated utility.

by Anonymousreply 16406/26/2013

r164 thx for the link. BUT, the problem is in CA there's not just one energy company, but many throughout the state, but one only for each area. You have SMUD in Sacto area and beyond that is just .09 per KWH, then you have PGE which baseline starts at .13 for 330 KWH, .15, .30, .35 - and up. It's the highest in CA, you have SCE which starts at .07, .189, .22 (highest tier). So the avg is not exactly in PGE territory which is absurdly high. However, that list says that CA is #7, and 7th highest in the entire USA even with the variances.

by Anonymousreply 16506/26/2013

Ok so my experiment today, I dried my sheets out there using a drying rack. They smell great. Since I only have one rack I lay the sheets over something else and kind of took turns with them with the rack. It took about an hour. Heat is humid today & about 79 at the highest but much cooler right now.

I don't want to totally do jeans on a rack so I mostly dried them outside and am drying them currently in the dryer with a few other things, so far it's been 21 min, there's 2 pair of jeans and a lot of other clothes in there, some of them I was able to put outside for a bit. DRIED at 21 mins in the dryer for 2 pair of jeans and a load.

I put my soaking wet cotton rug out there on the rack, it's still sunny right now, and another rug.

I'm planning on buying another USA-made drying rack from this company in Maine, it's cheaper than the Vermont Country Store. I like rack #304 & #305. Currently I have rack #303 & love it.

by Anonymousreply 16606/26/2013

A lot of you are clearly POOR!

by Anonymousreply 16706/26/2013

No r167 personally I own a Miele W & D, & I own the large capacity ones that they are no longer making (bought in 2010, the last year they were put into service) but that doesn't mean I don't want to be more energy efficient or pay my utility company less.

by Anonymousreply 16806/26/2013

Clotheslines aren't making a comeback in the rest of the world because they never went away. In Europe a dryer is used as a last resort. Everything smells better when dried outside and the sheets are amazing, I sleep like a baby on line dried sheets.

Get a rotary clothes airer that folds up when not in use, it takes up hardly any space.

by Anonymousreply 16906/26/2013

I'm all for solar power for drying clothes.

by Anonymousreply 17006/26/2013

In Japan, they all have sticks protruding from their apartment windows.

by Anonymousreply 17106/26/2013

For some reason, Americans don't use natural sunlight for two of the easiest jobs it can do at little or no cost: (1) preheat water before it goes into the water heater, and (2) dry clothes.

Australians use the sun heavily for both of these tasks. So do the Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 17206/27/2013

Could it be they're trying to block you out from spying on them? You sound like a Gladys Kravitz type.

by Anonymousreply 17306/27/2013

Steal the male's underwear and they'll stop doing it.

by Anonymousreply 17406/27/2013

Good lord! The Darfur orphans would be appalled by such lack of class.

by Anonymousreply 17506/27/2013

I personally can't wait to live in a house again so that I can have a clothesline. It's green friendly, and better for the clothes too.

by Anonymousreply 17606/27/2013

I don't want bugs and rain on my clothes. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 17706/27/2013

r176 you can put up one in your bathtub and then fold it away.

r177 I left my sheets out yesterday and I can tell you there's no bugs nor rain on my sheets.

by Anonymousreply 17806/27/2013

r177 is a squeamish, lazy, profligate, blithering idiot.

Sorry hon, but you are just wrong.

by Anonymousreply 17906/27/2013

R179, I'm wrong??? You're saying I DO want bugs and rain on my clothes? I don't get it.

Not everyone lives in the same place. Where I live it rains constantly and there are bugs every fucking where. So no, you're wrong because I don't want my clothes to be rained on when I'm attempting to dry them, and I also don't want bugs crawling on them.

by Anonymousreply 18006/27/2013

Isn't this normal? You need help.

by Anonymousreply 18106/27/2013

Where you live, dimwit, and I'll tell you how wrong you are.

by Anonymousreply 18206/27/2013

R180 lives in a swamp.

by Anonymousreply 18306/27/2013

Sorry folks. I agree with the OP. I think they're tack. Plus I hate way clothes dried on a line feel. BUT, it IS their yard.

by Anonymousreply 18406/27/2013

I'm curious where r177 / r180 lives, please tell us where it "rains all the time" & "there are bugs everywhere" - ?

by Anonymousreply 18506/27/2013

Well r184, I think you're stupe.

by Anonymousreply 18606/27/2013

I have such great memories of my grandparents drying clothes on their clothesline in the winter and my Grandfathers long johns being stiff as a board when they were taken off the line.

In the summer when my Mother would see a storm coming up and the neighbor would still have her clothes on the line so Mom would go over and pull the neighbor's clothes in so they wouldn't get drenched and ruin a day of washing.

The smell of your t-shirts off the line in the summer and the sheets! Oh such memories!

I sometimes wish I could have a clothesline today!

by Anonymousreply 18706/27/2013

I have a clothesline on my balcony, and as I don't overload my machine and use good detergent, my clothes are soft and have a nice, fresh smell.

by Anonymousreply 18806/27/2013

R16 they do smell fresh when taking down from the line. Only set back for me were the bees, wasp or spiders they hung out with the wet clothes.

by Anonymousreply 18906/27/2013

Once I had a neighbor who dried her clothes on a clothesline, and then she died.

by Anonymousreply 19006/27/2013

OPs neighborhood will look like this in no time.

by Anonymousreply 19106/27/2013

OP, why on Earth do you care so much? A clothesline is somehow going to kill you? You must have no life.

by Anonymousreply 19206/27/2013

OP, go hang yourself from it.

by Anonymousreply 19306/27/2013

Notice that the trashy, phony, peculiarly angry asshole at R192 and R193 is the type of little creep that no doubt has yet to do a load of wash, because Mom does it for her. After all, the clothes are in her basement already anyway, with him.

by Anonymousreply 19406/27/2013

And you're so clever coming up with the basement joke, R194!

by Anonymousreply 19506/27/2013

Yes, R195. Next he'll tell someone they need to get a life. Or wonder whether they're taking their meds.

You'd think someone would feel embarrassed at trotting out that old "mom's basement" nyah nyah. I guess some people have no shame.

by Anonymousreply 19606/27/2013

Your neighbors are just following Barbara Streisand's environmental recommendations.

by Anonymousreply 19706/27/2013

My mother hung up our clothes when I was a kid. I've done it at times in the past, but am too lazy now. Sheets dried outdoors have the most heavenly smell. Sleeping on them is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 19806/27/2013

[quote] have a clothesline on my balcony, and as I don't overload my machine and use good detergent, my clothes are soft and have a nice, fresh smell.

A clothesline on your balcony?! Do you hang out the window, beating a wooden spoon on the side of a sauce pot to let Tony and Guido know it's time for dinner? Ugh. Your neighbors must hate you.

by Anonymousreply 19906/27/2013

Have to agree. Hang the clothes outside only if you have a backyard.

by Anonymousreply 20006/27/2013

[quote]In the summer when my Mother would see a storm coming up and the neighbor would still have her clothes on the line so Mom would go over and pull the neighbor's clothes in so they wouldn't get drenched and ruin a day of washing.

My mother & the lady next door used to do that for each other. They were both usually home all day, but sometimes one of them would be at the grocery store or doctor's office, etc. In my recollection, most neighbors were nice & helpful to each other in those days ('50s), & didn't complain about petty things.

by Anonymousreply 20106/27/2013

Sometimes if my mom's laundry was caught by a sudden rainstorm, she just called it "a free rinse in soft water." Our city water was extremely hard.

I can remember several occasions when she just left it hanging on the lne to dry the next day.

Our clothesline was on the back side of the house and hidden by tall shrubbery.

by Anonymousreply 20206/28/2013

I'm helping a friend install one of these retractable clotheslines this afternoon.

She said she would cook dinner if I bought my step ladder and tools.

by Anonymousreply 20306/29/2013

The view from OPs window.

by Anonymousreply 20406/29/2013

Is the DL being weird again?

by Anonymousreply 20506/29/2013

Yes, r205.

by Anonymousreply 20606/29/2013

I can only post on shit that I have already posted on. Unfortunately, I have nothing new to say on this subject. Has anyone ever done anything kinky with a clothespin?

by Anonymousreply 20706/29/2013

Yes, r207 -- Nip + nip + clit

I was outside waiting for my laundry to dry when I discovered this pleasant pastime.

by Anonymousreply 20806/30/2013

Please! Get a handful and line them down the underside of your times!

by Anonymousreply 20906/30/2013

You clothesline people are going to put good Americans who make dryer sheets out of work!

God invented dryer sheets for a reason!

by Anonymousreply 21006/30/2013

When one's mind is on one's OWN business, OP, one doesn't notice these things.

by Anonymousreply 21106/30/2013

If someone will tell me how to post a picture from my iPad, I'll find this thread and post it next week on "whites day" when I wash my underwear and towels.

Woot! Woot!

by Anonymousreply 21206/30/2013

My grandmother had her sheets dried outside and I loved staying at her house because the bed linens smelled so great

by Anonymousreply 21306/30/2013

R202, I know a Hamptons lady who does that. If laundry is on her line and she .... drink or laziness ... doesn't get the laundry in before a rain, she just leaves it up, even for days, until it is dry. Fun woman, runs a boarding house. My grandmother's house has an enclosed drying yard, an area off the kitchen, walled in and shingled. It almost looks like part of the house, or its own outbuilding, depending upon the view. When we were kids we'd use it as a fort. Ever played under flapping sheets? Fun! Now I'm older sometimes I take my sheets/laundry out there and lay the wet sheets & pillow cases on the grass to dry. Great smell! Too, the grass does something to my whites. Yes, "tighty-whities" all the way!

by Anonymousreply 21406/30/2013

For the 4th of July, I am hanging out my red bath towels, my blue underwear, and my white cotton percale sheets.

by Anonymousreply 21507/04/2013

We removed clotheslines when we moved into this house, but after reading all the positive comments, I'm thinking of re-installing them. Does anyone remember the 4-sided, spin-around type of clothesline? It was an aluminum armature, that angled up, like upstretched arms? It was strung with ordinary clothesline, several to each of the 4 sides. You could hang a lot of clothes in a very small area. And the thing could spin around, to take advantage of changing breezes. And oh yeah, that other type of clothesline that had a big, grooved wheel at each end, over which the clothesline travelled in a big, long loop. You stood in one place, and hung the clothe son the bottom line, then moved the wheel to get to the next open section of line. Always thought that was SO cool. See it a lot when I go out to Amish country. Growing up my grandmother always hung clothes outside if at all possible. When the weather was foul, she hung clothes on a line that stretched from the doorjamb in the front bedroom, to the jamb in the back bedroom. The stairwell was underneath the drying clothes, so you had to be careful when you were going up and down. I want THAT clothesline back too!

by Anonymousreply 21607/07/2013

This [italic]is[/italic] the dumbest thread of all time, R217.

by Anonymousreply 21807/07/2013

Several manufacturers make rotary clothes lines like you described, but an Australian company makes what is regarded by many as the best, Hill's Hoist.

I wish I had one!

They are for sale in the USA here:

by Anonymousreply 21907/08/2013

Hanging clothes on a line is energy efficient.

by Anonymousreply 22107/08/2013

I have been using my drying rack most of the time. My PGE bill for our 2 story house went down to 490 KWH & our entire PGE (electricity + gas bill) went down to under $100 this last month. We also have a pool pump so that adds an extra 150 KWH, but still, this is great news as we're pretty broke right now. I am thinking about purchasing 2 more drying racks as I'm always doing sheets and blankets on them.

by Anonymousreply 22207/08/2013

R222: do you have your pool pump on an automatic timer?

My brother put his pool pump on one it saved him significant money, he said.

by Anonymousreply 22307/08/2013

Wow, this thread really hit a nerve, didn't it? The only neighborhoods where I see clotheslines are lower-class. Uppity types don't use them, as far as I can tell. And they do look tenement-ish and vaguely third-world.

by Anonymousreply 22407/08/2013

R222, if you don't mind me asking, what was your electricity bill before you started using a drying rack?

by Anonymousreply 22507/09/2013

R224 You don't see clothes lines in more expensive areas because they're hidden behind the house and can't be seen from the street. If you lived in one of those areas you would know that. It's only nouveau riche born-in-a-trailer-married-up-and-moved-to-the-burbs types like you who would describe them as third world because you have very clearly never travelled. And no, going to visit gramma in the next state doesn't count as travel.

by Anonymousreply 22607/09/2013

My aunt and uncle had more money than we did when I was growing up and they had a "drying yard" which basically was like a three sided "room" in their backyard formed from dense shrubbery. Their clotheslines were out of sight from nosy neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 22707/10/2013

Nope, not true r226. I grew up in and have lived in what you call "expensive areas" all my life and even with backyards hidden from the neighbors you don't see clotheslines. You'd never want to have a party in your backyard with a clothesline there. Tacky tacky tacky!

And I go to Europe 3 times a year.

by Anonymousreply 22807/10/2013

Maybe they'll hang their nasty naughty cum-stained underwear for you to drool over, eh? Heh-heh

by Anonymousreply 22907/21/2013

I'm hearing about clotheslines more and more in my suburban neighborhood.

They must be unseen from the street per covenant, but I think the idea is spreading in my neck of the woods, based upon some recent conversations I've had with a few neighbors.

I can't see into my neighbors' backyards from mine, so I can't confirm.

They're a good idea, I think. Save your dryer for emergencies and all that. Help the environment, too.

by Anonymousreply 23009/08/2013

Are you in Florida, OP? If so, I think under the Bush Doctrine, combined with the stand your ground law, you are entitled to go shoot your neighbors. Then you can rip down the clothesline, claim the land as an extension of your own property, and ensure that no clothesline ever goes up there again.

by Anonymousreply 23109/08/2013

Wow. More examples of limousine liberals. I love a clothesline. I grew up and still live in the Northeast. We had a clothesline and I still have one. I think us having a clothesline had more to do with my mother growing up poor. She married my well to do father and became a doctor herself. But she absolutely refused to use the dryer when the Sun would do it for free. She would even go over the electric bill and berate my sisters for using the dryer when she thought the electric bill was too high and the dryer was to blame.

I don't particularly like my clothes hung on the clothesline but do it a lot. I love towels and linens hung on the clothesline though. Especially towels.

by Anonymousreply 23209/08/2013

I like to hang up my exotic underwear and other such items on the clothesline to upset the old biddy next door.

by Anonymousreply 23309/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!