Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

David Strathairn, could he be bi?

In these pictures, he looks like he was in love with George Clooney. Anything going on there?

by Anonymousreply 6902/10/2014

by Anonymousreply 106/24/2013

nope?

by Anonymousreply 206/24/2013

nope.

by Anonymousreply 306/24/2013

Both are very nice, friendly men. Hope they have long and successful careers.

Just talked to Strathairn on his latest movie. Very charming, although apparently a little shy at first.

by Anonymousreply 406/24/2013

Clooney gave him the first real tate of limelight, though he never seemed completely comfortable there.

But people I know who work in NYC theater and know Strathairn a bit all say he's a minus 2 on the Kinsey scale. I'm sure he was grateful to Clooney for the exposure, but I don't imagine it would have been any more than that. He never really became a part of the Clooney posse, though I could easily imagine Strathairn in one of the Ocean films or in the Tom Wilkinson role in MICHAEL CLAYTON.

by Anonymousreply 506/24/2013

I wish, but have to agree with the others and say "nope."

by Anonymousreply 606/24/2013

I thought he was headed for stardom after LA Confidential.

He's one of the few actors who who can truly lose themselves in a role. I can be halfway through watching a movie and suddenly realize, "Hey, that's David Strathairn up there."

by Anonymousreply 706/24/2013

'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished (and watched) but yeah, ain't happening.

Strathairn is one of our best actors, and very hot indeed.

by Anonymousreply 806/24/2013

He was super hot in 'Passion Fish'.

by Anonymousreply 906/24/2013

[quote]Just talked to Strathairn on his latest movie. Very charming, although apparently a little shy at first.

Is that the Godzilla flick?

by Anonymousreply 1006/26/2013

I've long had a thing for Strathairn and his lanky handsomeness and quiet talent.

by Anonymousreply 1106/26/2013

R10, No, it's an action flick with a British director. They used "Heat" for the working (phony) title. We're not supposed to talk about the flick, however I would risk my career to defend any cute, gracious stars who don't have an "attitude" or a superiority complex. At least I made Strathhairn laugh.

by Anonymousreply 1206/26/2013

Thank you r12 :) I'm glad to know that he's good to work with. I love him all the more now.

by Anonymousreply 1306/26/2013

LOVE HIM!!

He's always good and very often great.

hH even survived that awful Roundabout Three Sisters.

He was especially fabulous in The River Wild.

by Anonymousreply 1406/26/2013

Has he ever [italic]played[italic] gay?

by Anonymousreply 1506/26/2013

[italics]Fucking close italics[/italic][/italic]

Damn it.

by Anonymousreply 1606/26/2013

Heard he's very straight and very married. Friendly to the gays, though.

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2013

He must have a home in the Dutchess County area of upstate NY. I've seen him grocery shopping a couple of times. He'll always be Moss to me, giving Molly his shoe

by Anonymousreply 1806/27/2013

He recently did this indie film/vanity project with James Franco called MALADIES where he plays a gay character, I think for the first time in his career.

However, the film sounds dreadful (not due to him of course) even with Catherine Keener in the cast too.

by Anonymousreply 1906/28/2013

"He even survived that awful Roundabout Three Sisters."

Courtesy of talent-free director Scott Elliott. Strathairn was stuck having to act with a very one-note, shrill Jeanne Tripplehorn as Masha.

by Anonymousreply 2006/28/2013

Why a minus 2 on the Kinsey scale ... ?

by Anonymousreply 2107/03/2013

R10, R13, I'm so sorry. Was clearly told that that was the name of the lead actor in the action scene, shot in Vegas. However they also lied and said the flick was called "Heat." I think that's why they didn't want anyone to discuss this movie.

by Anonymousreply 2207/03/2013

All men look at Clooney like that when they talk to him. Gay or straight, they can't help it. But yes, the chemistry and affection are palpable in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 2307/03/2013

David Strathairn = DL fave

by Anonymousreply 2407/03/2013

finally a real interesting man to be appreciated. I find he got an unobtrusive beauty, his body has the type of finishings that I like, plus his skin color.

by Anonymousreply 2507/03/2013

r22 your post makes no sense.

What are you sorry about?

by Anonymousreply 2607/08/2013

R26, I was told that "David Strathairn" was the name of the lead actor with which I had a scene. I'm not up on all of the many celebs, so I wouldn't have recognized him.

Apparently the director lied. I was just a few inches away when he gave a press interview on the movie shoot. Both the director and the lead actor had British accents.

I had responded to an earlier post, praising the qualities of Mr. Strathairn, saying that I'd met him. Now I realize that they're 2 very different actors.

by Anonymousreply 2707/08/2013

Could the actor you met be Jason Statham?

by Anonymousreply 2807/08/2013

r22 is an example of someone who doesn't read the opening post.

There is a link with a picture of David Strathairn.

Um, how could someone have a scene with someone and not recognize the difference?

by Anonymousreply 2907/08/2013

R28, You are very brilliant and observant.

by Anonymousreply 3007/08/2013

I started listening to the music of this rock band called Dawes and realized that the keyboardist for the group is Strathairn's son Tay Strathairn. Music is quite good.

Based on the photo of the band at the link (Strathairn is the blond, bearded one), he certainly looks like his dad, though not as handsome.

by Anonymousreply 3107/10/2013

I would LOVE to hear any gossip about Strathairn.

He seems utterly repressed. Probably boring. But man, if he does seem to simmer with sexuality somehow.

by Anonymousreply 3207/17/2013

Straithairn is so my type...I think he's hot and I would love to have him inside me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 3307/17/2013

R32, I doubt you'd hear much gossip about him. He's been pretty committed to staying under the radar as best he can. GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK pushed him under the media microscope for the first time, and he never seemed 100% comfortable with it at the time (in fact, he really didn't do that much press until then anyway).

Since then, he's clearly gotten used to participating in the media promotion machine, but the interviews are kept strictly on the subject of the project itself. He doesn't talk about his personal life, and that's his perogative. He's been married for quite some time and has been described by people who've worked with him as a true gentleman.

Clearly he's liked and respected. I'm sure one reason he wound up on Broadway recently in THE HEIRESS is that Jessica Chastain knew him from acting in a supporting role in the play RODNEY'S WIFE back in 2004, where he played the lead. Unfortunately, neither of them fared well in THE HEIRESS (she was quite bad).

I don't think he's "repressed", but there is a low-key, genial formality about him and occasionally a subtle sense of humor in interviews. But there is indeed fire underneath the seemingly calm surface which shows up in his performances.

by Anonymousreply 3407/17/2013

I recall from a thread some time back: a poster said that he had a drinking problem at one point. But who knows if that was true.

I always thought it was odd that his career didn't take off after being in SNEAKERS and THE RIVER WILD. After those, he still wound up in smaller supporting roles for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 3507/17/2013

Was he in Delores Clairborne? If so, he was excellent

Actually, all three leads (Kathy B, the older women/forget her name) and David should have had Oscar nods for their roles

by Anonymousreply 3607/17/2013

r35, I recently read a tweet from a woman- I don't know what her job was but she said on the phone with him and he was "drunk as fuck". Take that for the twit-source that it is, I guess.

Here he is at an NY pub with Michael Rooker. Looks pretty tame

by Anonymousreply 3707/17/2013

Thanks R35. Strathairn played a baseball pitcher in the film EIGHT MEN OUT and learned how to throw an 85+ MPH knuckleball (not a baseball expert, but I assume that's how he's holding the baseball in Rooker's photo).

by Anonymousreply 3807/19/2013

Seen a couple of tweets of him at bars. Perhaps he does have a drinking problem. He seems to be out a lot?

by Anonymousreply 3909/10/2013

So he shows up at a few bars. Hardly means he has a drinking problam. Lord, there are people at my job who gather at a local bar almost every day.

by Anonymousreply 4009/10/2013

Patchett's what I like to call 'Twilight.' He ain't queer, he ain't Red, he can't help me in my quest for prime sinuendo.

by Anonymousreply 4109/10/2013

R34, I read that as "Jessica Chastain blew him"

I can never picture him without thinking of him finger-banging JJL's character in Dolores Claiborne. Ewww he was creepy awful in that, and what an accent he put on. Great actor.

by Anonymousreply 4309/11/2013

ew r43. just ewwwww.

by Anonymousreply 4409/12/2013

R43, his character didn't "finger-bang" Jennifer Jason Leighs' character as a young teen. He has her give him a hand job.

Not that it's any better, but that's what happened. You feel it was only a matter of time before his character went further.

by Anonymousreply 4509/12/2013

Saw him in Underneath the Lintel at ACT in SF. He was very good, kooky, fun. On stage, David still looked fit and still has that scraggy silver hair. Unf. So hot. Scraggly but handsome. Off stage, he seemed reserved. A little sad. I wonder if something is up in his personal life.

BTW: When I read in the Playbill that his first performance as a youth was in Eureka CA, it all came together for me. Humbolt county is the hippy and New Age Art central. If he grew up in that area, the character of Dr. Rosen was practically written for him.

by Anonymousreply 4611/07/2013

scruffy silver

by Anonymousreply 4711/07/2013

Bump: Any new gossip on this man?

by Anonymousreply 4811/08/2013

He's not generally the sort of actor who generates much in the way of gossip. And I'm sure he prefers it that way.

"Off stage, he seemed reserved. A little sad. I wonder if something is up in his personal life."

I saw this play when it was done in NYC, and the character Strathairn plays winds up taking stock of his life as the play progresses. I wouldn't be surprised if that "sadness" you saw was just the residue of playing that character rather than something specifically going on in his life.

by Anonymousreply 4911/08/2013

He was so absolutely HOT in The River Wild.

by Anonymousreply 5001/09/2014

R50, if you want to see him at his most hot (and where he shows a fair amount of skin) rent A MAP OF THE WORLD. Another plus is that it features one of Sigourney Weaver's best performances.

I'd seen him in a lot of films before MAP, but it was only after watching that one that I realized how hot he really is.

He's about to turn 65 and he's still in really good shape as his appearance in a Speedo on ALPHAS demonstrated.

by Anonymousreply 5101/10/2014

Apparently has snagged a role along with Richard Gere in the Best Silver Fox Hotel, er, I mean the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel sequel.

by Anonymousreply 5201/10/2014

[quote]he was rumored to bed an alcoholic.

Really? Which alcoholic was he rumored to bed? Did he want her because she was a dipso, or was that just a coincidence?

by Anonymousreply 5301/10/2014

That guy is so fucking hot. Simply gorgeous - why is he not in more prominent roles/films?

by Anonymousreply 5401/10/2014

Gay!!

by Anonymousreply 5501/10/2014

r54, I think he's not greedy and has some political idealism. Plus- he's an introvert.

He seems to gravitate towards movies that are either based on literature or have socio-political angle.

I've noticed a pattern with his movies. He's typecast as a soft-spoken beta male who often has to show a quiet kind of power somehow.Which makes his lead character in a show called "Alphas" all the more fitting.

In the River Wild he was the absent nerdy passive Dad who realized early on they were in some kind of danger but wouldn't beat up Kevin Bacon's charismatic character when he had a chance to kick his ass. He played everything calm but then in the end he saves the day using persistence and brains.

If he's in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel sequel with Richard Gere- I'm guessing he'll be the quiet Beta-Male competing against Gere's Alpha for someone else.

Kinda weird to see their both playing retirement age people now.

by Anonymousreply 5601/11/2014

The many faces of Mr. Dave ...

by Anonymousreply 5701/11/2014

I know the character is not but he looks so FEY here.

by Anonymousreply 5801/11/2014

he looks swarthy. what is his ethnicity?

also, I thought he was gay being as he was in Home for the Holidays

by Anonymousreply 5901/11/2014

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 6001/11/2014

His ethnicity is a combo of Hawaiian and Scots. His Scots grandfather married a Hawaiian woman, which explains his coloring.

by Anonymousreply 6101/11/2014

Naked in Return of the Secaucus Seven

by Anonymousreply 6201/11/2014

He's been on my list of 'People Who Will Definitely Get An Oscar' for years (and probably on everyone else's list too). His work is universally respected. More importantly for Academy voting purposes, there's never been a word said against him and god knows that's unheard of other than Ann-Margret.

Straight and too decent a man to be a homophobe. If he likes to take a drink it's no big deal and good luck to him. I hope he catches a ride home or calls a cab.

by Anonymousreply 6301/11/2014

I agree r63.

He should have been nominated for William Seward in Lincoln.

I don't see any Oscar potentials on the way. I hope someone gives him a bone. He just doesn't seem to crave the role like some do.

by Anonymousreply 6401/12/2014

Love David Strathairn, he is not a homophobe not even remotely. As an actor I usually like him but LINCOLN was not one of those times.

He never talks shit about people but I guess it is well known he had a terrible time with Ian Mckellen when they did a play together.

I don't think David is bi but wouldn't be surprised if he experimented once or twice as a younger man. He is as nice as everyone says he is and doesn't play games that lots of actors do.

by Anonymousreply 6501/12/2014

Found a trailer where Strathairn is playing a very effeminate character in some gender-bending Franco flick,[italic] Maladies[/italic] — which by the way had never been released? ??

He looks pretty striking in the trailer. I hope this gets out someday.

by Anonymousreply 6601/21/2014

That film MALADIES is probably going straight to video/cable - suprised it hasn't surfaced already. I thought it looked pretty awful (more Franco navel-gazing). From what I read of the film, Strathairn's character is gay and has a crush on Franco.

by Anonymousreply 6701/22/2014

[italic]Maldies[/italic] is coming out soon. They've released another trailer and it looks like they re-worked it a but and might have realized that Strathairn is going to steal the show.

His "Delmar" is the lonely old gay that seems to caretake the others. I hope it's not as pathetic as it seems.

I'm kinda surprised there isn't a thread for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 6802/10/2014

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 6902/10/2014
Need more help? Click Here.