Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

God forgive me, I wish Nelson Mandela would let go. He has not been himself in years.

Thank you Mr. Mandela for your service to humanity.

by Anonymousreply 4106/26/2013

You first, OP.

by Anonymousreply 106/23/2013

What's on his iPod?

by Anonymousreply 206/23/2013

r2 "Free Nelson Mandela"

by Anonymousreply 306/23/2013

Sometimes people die.

by Anonymousreply 406/23/2013

OP = Winnie, still bitter about the divorce

by Anonymousreply 506/23/2013

I'm glad you're here to make these decisions OP.

by Anonymousreply 606/23/2013

wtf? I agree with the op. He's 94 and been a through a lot in life, has been very ill for weeks now and likely suffering although I'm sure he has good medical attention.

The op didn't wish death on him in a nasty way, just a decent end.

by Anonymousreply 806/23/2013

Because you are sane and rational R8. R7 is unhinged.

Mandela is very old and not well. OP thinks he is being so risque but please. Mandela doesn't have much life left in him, that is just the reality, everyone dies.

by Anonymousreply 906/23/2013

He probably got a look at the reality show involving his grandchildren and it sent him over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 1006/24/2013

Even critically ill and likely on his deathbed, this is a better world with Nelson Mandela in it.

by Anonymousreply 1106/24/2013

I think he'd like to let go, but his medical team refuses to let him.

by Anonymousreply 1206/24/2013

[quote] Even critically ill and likely on his deathbed, this is a better world with Nelson Mandela in it.

His telekinetic abilities work wonders.

by Anonymousreply 1306/24/2013

If he hasn't been himself, OP, who has he been?

Fact of life: If you live a long time, you become old and it's probable that you'll become frail. That doesn't mean a different personality takes over. Unless we're very close to old people, we really have no idea what's going on with them.

by Anonymousreply 1406/24/2013

The real problem is the power void. Even though Mandela is not coherent enough, still being alive keeps opposing forces from ripping the country apart. could get scary in SA when he is past. Remember...... SA has nukes.

by Anonymousreply 1506/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 1606/24/2013

We will be so sad when he dies.

by Anonymousreply 1706/24/2013

We will be so dad when he dies.

Tasha (formerly known as Winnie until the convicton) and Nelson Tibideaux

by Anonymousreply 1806/24/2013

I will tell you something you may not realize. It's highly likely Mr. Mandela is being kept alive by a ventilator, and if the ventilator were turned off he'd probably be gone in a matter of hours at most.

Sometimes family members insist the patient be kept on life support long past the time when the patient themselves would've wanted. In Mandela's case, this may be done for a number of reasons.

Maybe they're hoping he'd make it to his birthday, July 18th. Maybe they're waiting for someone to arrive who could not get there earlier. Maybe they're allowing old friends and colleagues who stood with him thru the struggles, to process in to say their good byes, privately.

Maybe they are in the process of arranging his state funeral, which will be huge, and very public. Maybe he is already dead, and there is no public announcement because they are allowing the public to grow "accustomed to the idea" that he is leaving.

If they had sprung this suddenly there might have been a lot of confusion and weeping, etc. They would want the public demonstrations of grief to be as dignified as possible as befits this extraordinary man.

The point is, they will announce his passing in due course when the family is ready. Right now, this man who had to share so much of himself with the world, is surrounded by his loved ones who ought to be allowed some measure or private time with him for that last time.

by Anonymousreply 1906/24/2013

I not ready to receive company just yet. Guys, please give me a minute. Gosh!

by Anonymousreply 2006/24/2013

The reason Nelson Mandela only served one term as President, is because he knew the country needed stability, and had to really demonstrate to the watching world, that a Black majority, self-governing African nation could handle democracy.

The only way to demonstrate this, was to show that Presidential succession could occur peacefully. He also didn't want to be the typical charismatic leader for life that too often occurs with a revolution.

Getting rid of the apartheid system, and moving towards full democracy with free, fair elections was a revolution. And while the transition was comparatively orderly, there had been a lot of bloodshed for many years leading up to it.

The Truth & Reconciliation Commission was instrumental in staving off violence. I don't expect anything related to Mandela's death to destabilize South Africa. It will not be an occasion for mischief.

by Anonymousreply 2106/24/2013

R15, SA no longer has nukes. They voluntarily gave them up.

by Anonymousreply 2206/24/2013

"I think he'd like to let go, but his medical team refuses to let him."

In my country at least, the medical team does not decide whether to "keep someone alive", but follows the wishes of the family. The family may think there's political/social benefit in keeping him alive, or may be waiting for something specific before withdrawing care, or they may refuse to believe there's no hope of recovery (that happens a lot).

Or, the family may be unwilling to make the decision to withdraw care, and "kill" Nelson Mandela. It's rough for anyone to take a ventilator or life-saving medications away from someone they love, but when someone is so universally beloved, it's got to be worse.

by Anonymousreply 2306/24/2013

OP must be the stupidest person on the DL today. And stupid brings with it bathos, smarminess, presumption, and innate cruelty.

by Anonymousreply 2406/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 2506/24/2013

let go? That would be killing himself OP

by Anonymousreply 2606/24/2013

Get well soon Madiba!

by Anonymousreply 2706/24/2013

It is very likely his lungs have lost their elasticity, and he is being kept "alive" by artificial means. I doubt he is even conscious. As his lungs lose elasticity, they will begin to fill with fluid. Even a ventilator won't stop that. At some point he will arrest, his heart will stop.

It would be nice for him to have his 95th birthday on July 18th, but really, it's out of their hands now. We should celebrate him. Such a brave, determined, resilient man. A wise, compassionate man. He was never ruled by hate. He had a righteous anger, but not hatred.

It's not often people can honestly say they witnessed history, and witnessed a great leader, an historical figure, but we have. Bless you, Madiba!

by Anonymousreply 2806/24/2013

Of course, they'd never let negroes have nukes,r22.

White supremacy. Gotta love it.

by Anonymousreply 3006/24/2013

So you're moving to a black-ruled nation when, R30?

I thought so.

by Anonymousreply 3106/24/2013

This man is most likely the most important figure in modern history. He saved his nation from a literal blood bath.

What a waste that the evil that ruled South Africa did not have a tiny fraction of this man's greatness and humanity. South Africa and the rest of the world could have been so much further along.

by Anonymousreply 3206/24/2013

A pacemaker is probably keeping his heart going, but the lungs can't hold up forever.

by Anonymousreply 3306/25/2013

Actually I'd king of like Prince Philip to die the day before Mandela so that the Brits can see how little people really care about their monarchy.

by Anonymousreply 3406/25/2013

Please release him, let him go.

by Anonymousreply 3506/26/2013

[quote] Actually I'd king of like Prince Philip to die the day before Mandela so that the Brits can see how little people really care about their monarchy.

R34 - Prince Phillip has only always been the Queen's husband. One wouldn't expect his death to be marked in the same way as that of the Queen or Mr Mandela.

by Anonymousreply 3606/26/2013

Yeah let him go already

by Anonymousreply 3706/26/2013

lol r29

by Anonymousreply 3806/26/2013

Huff Post is reporting he's on life support.

Won't be much longer now.

by Anonymousreply 3906/26/2013

Lay off Nelson Mandela. That man deserves to live to be a thousand years old.

by Anonymousreply 4006/26/2013

As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison.

by Anonymousreply 4106/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!