Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Devious Maids Premieres Tonight!!

Variety says:

[quote] Terrifically cast and cleverly constructed, the show has “hit” written all over it!

USA Today says:

[Quote]Had Marc Cherry's Desperate Housewives follow-up Devious Maids premiered on ABC in season, as he'd hoped, it might have been quickly dismissed as slight, derivative and repetitive. Here, however, on Lifetime on a summer Sunday -- well, all those things still apply, but it's also easier to appreciate the show's own virtues while enjoying its Desperate roots.

The Washington Post says:

[Quote] Does the campiness outweigh the social commentary? Of course — it’s still a prime-time soap … In the first two episodes, the show has enough momentum to offer some promise, even if Cherry’s vehicles tend to start strong and go off the rails quickly. But given the ability of his previous “Housewives” to dig deeper than many dramas, it feels right to give this series the benefit of the doubt.

by Anonymousreply 6803/02/2014

you used an uppercase Q.

by Anonymousreply 206/23/2013

Unless I hear it's bombing with critics, I'll give it a try. I didn't watch DH, but a lot of that had to do with Cherry being a Republican. Now I feel desperate enough for a good show, I would watch DM if it's actually fun and addictive.

by Anonymousreply 306/23/2013

OP: You shills really need to learn the conventions of each forum.

From everything I've read, this is a third-rate Desperate Housewives.

by Anonymousreply 406/23/2013

Maybe that's the only way to make a good version of DH, r4, a so bad it's good version. The cheesier, the campier, is generally the case.

by Anonymousreply 506/23/2013

La Lucci is on it. Why in the world WOULDN'T someone watch it?!!?

by Anonymousreply 606/23/2013

Exactly r6!

by Anonymousreply 706/23/2013

Because "La" Lucci is on it, R6.

by Anonymousreply 806/23/2013

Lucci is a deity walking among us mere mortals. You should be so lucky, R8, to breath the same air as she does.

by Anonymousreply 906/23/2013

R4, I'm no shill. Just so desperate for a good mystery show I've actually resorted to watching Pretty Little Liars on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 1006/23/2013

We understand OP, it makes perfect sense to start a thread about this here, a campy show on Lifetime. As they say, Lifetime: Television for Women (and Gay Men.)

by Anonymousreply 1106/23/2013

Seems ok for a fluffy time killer. I'll keep reading reviews and maybe watch a few more episodes before I decide what I think of it.

by Anonymousreply 1306/23/2013

Posters are gory and sort of racist.

by Anonymousreply 1406/23/2013

Just watched it. So far, so good.

Ana Ortiz isn't wasted the way the way she was on Ugly Betty.

by Anonymousreply 1506/23/2013

Carla from Scrubs?!?

by Anonymousreply 1606/23/2013

The gays don't care for Marc Cherry, and haven't cared about his shows since they all stopped watching DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1706/23/2013

I'm wondering if Longoria has something in development for a group of sexy latino gardeners next. Their stories need to be told!

by Anonymousreply 1806/23/2013

I can't believe he actually called it Devious Maids. That's kind of embarassing, isnt it?

by Anonymousreply 1906/23/2013

I am so sick of Eva Longoria. Is she looking to outrun Andy Cohen by executive producing every crapfest not on Bravo?

by Anonymousreply 2006/23/2013

Why hasn't there been more backlash from the Hispanic community about this show? Sassy Latina stereotypes playing maids? They flipped out about Jennifer Lopez in Maid in Manhattan. This looks even worse.

by Anonymousreply 2106/23/2013

It may be demeaning, R21, but it's providing more employment for Latina actresses than anything else on TV. So there is that.

by Anonymousreply 2206/23/2013

Sounds like the DL "critics" are going to try to turn this into a flop, facts be rammed.

by Anonymousreply 2306/23/2013

Marc Cherry is a self-loathing Republican. He is not loved on DL.

by Anonymousreply 2406/23/2013

I watched IT and hated it. I really don't care for Eva Longoria. It is hilarious that she is one of producers on this show She and her family have a long history in the U.S. and they have never lived the lives of many Hispanics. Longoria used to think of herself as an "Aztec princess" and she was shocked when a DNA test revealed that she has 70% European DNA.

by Anonymousreply 2506/23/2013

How does Susan Lucci look so good??? I don't get it. There are women 20 years younger with loads more money (Meg Ryan and Heather Locklear) who have ruined their faces. How does Lucci manage to get such good plastic surgery?

by Anonymousreply 2606/24/2013

I really hate the shrimpy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2706/24/2013

Ana Ortiz was not wasted in Ugly Betty. She was terrific in that, and quite sexy.

by Anonymousreply 2806/24/2013

I have noticed Lucci is smart enough to make sure she can still move her brow. She definitely is not afraid to spoof her image - playing the diva in denial about her age and having a hard time coming to grips she no longer can get the powerful man. I have seen a couple of interviews by co-stars commenting how good she was at comedy.

by Anonymousreply 2906/24/2013

[quote]Ana Ortiz was not wasted in Ugly Betty. She was terrific in that, and quite sexy.

Wasted was the wrong word. I just would have liked seeing more Hilda.

by Anonymousreply 3006/24/2013

I liked it.

I'll watch it next week.

by Anonymousreply 3106/24/2013

I liked it, too! I liked the twist at the end. I admit I assumed she was related to the maid.

by Anonymousreply 3206/24/2013

It's so much like Desperate Housewives, they're even using the same background music - not to mention I counted at least 5 of the same actors as guests or regulars in the pilot alone.

For THIS Susan Lucci wouldn't go back to playing Erica Kane? Well at least the actor playing her son has a hot body (but an ugly face)

How soon before Eva Longoria makes a guest appearance?

by Anonymousreply 3306/24/2013

I feel bad for all of the actors, though, who signed into this show thinking there going to be in a big ABC series.

by Anonymousreply 3406/25/2013

I liked it too, but then again, I never watched Desperate Housewives, so it's all new to me.

by Anonymousreply 3506/25/2013

The dad from My So Called Life is a skeevy perv but looks pretty good

Grant Show is in it too

by Anonymousreply 3606/25/2013

Longwhoria is a never was who is over.

And, Tyler Christopher is way better looking than Tony Parker

by Anonymousreply 3706/25/2013

I thought it was so-so. The actors are fine but the show itself isn't anything special. I'd rather watch a show like GCB which was similar in style but lighter and breezier. I'll continue to watch DM for the time being to see if it grows on me but if the SLs are gonna be like a redux of DH (eg, a continuous string of murder misery cover-ups and illogical relationship behavior) I've done had my fill of that already.

by Anonymousreply 3806/25/2013

It's the fucking pilot, Christ, I'm so glad I don't know some you with your ADD issues. After a few weeks if it's not good, give it up. The Lucci/Reyes scene under the bed was fun, hopefully there will be more of that. Hated the one legged Russian house manager, she can go, but is in 13 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 3906/25/2013

This is probably not coming across as much of a compliment, but I found it a whole lot less offensive than I thought I was going to.

I watched because I like Ana Ortiz and Judy Reyes. As the lead and comic relief especially, they were both great.

The only subplot I didn't really care for was Carmen, who dreams of being a singer.

by Anonymousreply 4006/25/2013

The show was so much like DH that I can see why ABC didn't pick it up. Oddly its being on Lifetime is a plus for it because it makes it feel distinct from the other Lifetime series instead of been there, done that as it would have felt on ABC.

I think Lucci looks great too. I have a feeling part of it is that she was always a NY based actor. They generally seem to have better work and don't get the big lips, puffy cheeks, and cat eyes that every Hollywood surgeon seems give their patients.

by Anonymousreply 4106/25/2013

It's filmed in Atlanta. Is that the Tyler Perry studios?

by Anonymousreply 4206/25/2013

I agree with those who said it felt a lot like Desperate Housewives, but all thought all the actors who played the maids were very good.

But it feels like it might be fun for one or two seasons, and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 4306/25/2013

I love Ana Ortiz and watched it for her. I expected to hate it. I didn't. I thought My So Called Life Dad was actually the best thing in the pilot. He was great and totally played against type as his best known role. Lucci was also great. It's summer. I'll watch. If it was fall? I'd probably wouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 4406/25/2013

Devious Maids/Desperate Housewives....It looks like the exact same show!

by Anonymousreply 4506/25/2013

The short-lived Partners was similar to Will & Grace; or it tried to be like it.

One had great casting ,one didn't.

by Anonymousreply 4606/25/2013

I like turtles.

by Anonymousreply 4706/26/2013

I watched it last night. Not great, but not awful, and I like a lot of the cast, especially Ana Ortiz. But I agree it's ADD to give up on a show after the pilot. There are too many characters and too many storylines to give up on after only 42 minutes. I'd like to see if they sort out what works and doesn't work.

That being said, I'd prefer to see these actresses in a more straight forwarded drama about maids who work for rich people in LA and not have any of the murder mystery nonsense. That was played out with DH.

by Anonymousreply 4806/27/2013

Anyone watch this week?

by Anonymousreply 4907/02/2013

Susan Lucci is killing it!

by Anonymousreply 5007/02/2013

I was certain Lucci's character would be livid at the idea of her son and the maid. Then I thought she was going for the "Oh, I'll just shine this girl on, let her *think* I'm OK with this, then I'll fire her mom/submarine the relationship/set the girl up to he embarrassed publicly."

But she surprised me with her childlike delight in the prospect of the love connection.

by Anonymousreply 5107/02/2013

I loved Grant Show on the last episode ... He looks like he's had work done since Swingtown a few summers ago he's still hot though. I like the major domo and Odessa from the Latin singers estate. Ana Ortiz is simply stunning . The only annoying character is he goody two shoes from Guatemala . The casting of the wife of grant shows character is interesting , compared to the rest of the vast she has zero "it" factor.

by Anonymousreply 5207/02/2013

I LOVE Mariana Klaveno!

by Anonymousreply 5307/02/2013

From what read about Lucci's character, I think she is sincere about helping the daughter (which will most likely backfire). The character has Erica Kane's martial track record, obsession with looks, and emotional mood swings, but it sounds like she is a nice lady who has a close somewhat co-dependent relationship with her maids. Kind of an Erica without the extreme bitchiness and career ambition. I think she and Judy Reyes will play well off of each other.

This is a good part for her, she can do the comedic campy stuff she does well, but her character is enough of a supporting part where her campiness will not overwhelm the show and get tiresome. Less is more for that type of character. I am sure at this point she is probably glad not to have to be there for every scene and has more time to spend with her grandkids, family, and work on her other businesses.

by Anonymousreply 5407/02/2013

Lucci is almost frighteningly skinny. It's amazing she looks as good in the face as she does with so little weight on her. I'm really enjoying her character though and she has good comic timing.

I'm honestly surprised Lifetime was able to afford a show with such a large cast. Since ratings haven't been stellar I wonder if it'll be pared down in the event of a renewal.

So far I'm liking the show but the maids calling their employers by their first names, particularly Marisol, rings totally false.

by Anonymousreply 5507/08/2013

"Good Christian Bitches" was a ahead of it's time! That show was way more campier and fun than this show!

by Anonymousreply 5607/08/2013

Kind of boring. The twisted married couple is very interesting, though.

by Anonymousreply 5707/24/2013

I would say it is a pretty average show in general, but that main rich couple is compellingly creepy. The lady is evil yet has some layers and her husband oozes malice.

Anna Ortiz is also great, and I like the Lucci - Judy Reyes dynamic (although I wish their main story was not the romance of their kids). Except for Grant Snow's wife, most of the characters have become a bit more three dimensional since the pilot. Not a great show, but there are worse ones out there.

by Anonymousreply 5807/24/2013

Roselyn Sanchez is painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 5907/24/2013

It's OK.

I deleted "Mistresses" from by DVR last night.

This one, I am leaning towards doing the same.

by Anonymousreply 6007/25/2013

It's been 20 years since Melrose Place and Grant Show is still a hot piece. Unbelievable!

So glad he's queer, too.

by Anonymousreply 6107/27/2013

I just recently got caught up with this show and I really like it except for Roselyn Sanchez. I find "Carmen" irritating as hell. I want to fast Forward every time her pussy appears on screen.

by Anonymousreply 6208/28/2013

No comments on the finale? Was everyone watching the boring Emmys instead?

by Anonymousreply 6309/23/2013

I wanted to like the show more but it's such a ripoff of Desperate Housewives. Will we have a new "mystery" every season?

by Anonymousreply 6409/23/2013

Would not mind if Rosie got deported for good (not that that will happen). Her and Spence had a combined IQ of lint. I would not mind seeing Valentina stay away as well. Although I do like her Mom, and enjoy the interaction between Lucci and Judy Reyes.

Between the maids and the owners it is a pretty big cast, and it might not be bad to trim it a little bit. I actually don't mind Carmen, but not buying that she has any deep feelings for Sam, and he seems pretty expendable.

The Powels have to be one of the more creepily entertaining couples of TV, and Anna Ortiz is not a bad lead, although they could probably get rid of Marisol's employers, esp. since she will no longer have a reason to work for them.

by Anonymousreply 6509/23/2013

This is an old thread. I can't remember whether or not I made a joke about Viola already.

by Anonymousreply 6609/23/2013

Lucci is a riot on this show. INTENTIONALLY funny. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 6709/24/2013

I'm watching Revenge reruns and it's interesting to see Ana Ortiz (Marisol) pop up as a guest star in an episode earlier this year. It made me wonder when DM season 2 is premiering, it's April 20th. Still a month and a half away, but it won't be too awfully long now. They promise the new season will be edgier.

by Anonymousreply 6803/02/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!