Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING: Former South African president Nelson Mandela, 94, is now in critical condition, officials say

[quote]BREAKING: Former South African president Nelson Mandela, 94, is now in critical condition, officials say

by Anonymousreply 3406/27/2013

The ambulance had broken down which made it worse.

by Anonymousreply 106/23/2013

Get well soon!

by Anonymousreply 206/23/2013

Get well soon? He is a very frail 94 year old man who has lived a hard life.

He is only going to be with us a short while longer. But he has lived a long and incredibly praise-worthy life and will be fondly remembered long after he is gone.

by Anonymousreply 306/23/2013

Has Paula Deen commented?

by Anonymousreply 406/23/2013

I figured it was bad when his assistant said Mandela's family is keeping him alive even though he's miserable.

by Anonymousreply 506/23/2013

What an amazing man. I am sure he knows now while he still lives that he is admired the world over.

by Anonymousreply 606/23/2013

His family sounds insufferable though; they will tarnish his reputation.

by Anonymousreply 706/23/2013

Does this mean that they will *finally* bring back apartheid?

by Anonymousreply 806/23/2013

That's always the way with families, R7.

Nothing can tarnish Mandela's reputation. He stands on his own merits. What an incredible journey he has had. I admire him for so many things, but in the end, I most admired him for the fact that he understood that reconciliation and peace were the only way his new nation could survive and avoid a blood bath. He brought everyone together and urged forgiveness, and he urged those who had done wrong to beg for forgiveness, and reconcile, and so many did. He was an amazing leader, and standard against which all others will be measured all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 906/23/2013

He must be tired. Why don't they just let him go? No one can live forever.

by Anonymousreply 1006/23/2013

Yes R8--they would have loved your miserable gay behind in the Sharpville days

by Anonymousreply 1106/23/2013

Just DIE!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1206/23/2013

"Has Paula Deen commented?"

Her PR team is begging for a redemption moment by having Ms. Deen sing 'Amazing Race' at his services.

by Anonymousreply 1306/23/2013

I haven't read why the family doesn't want to let him go, so maybe it's an emotional issue for them.

I've seen people put their loved ones through all kinds of unnecessary surgery, chemotherapy and other kinds of medical treatment when there's no hope for survival.

by Anonymousreply 1406/23/2013

Maybe part of the reason they won't let him go is because they become nobodies once he's gone. Have any of them distinguished themselves in a way outside of riding Mandela's coattails?

by Anonymousreply 1506/23/2013

No matter what though South Africa is a shithole, although apartheid was despicable, the South African economy is in the toilet and it's run terribly & is a dangerous 3rd world shithole now.

by Anonymousreply 1606/23/2013

OP, what happened??

by Anonymousreply 1706/23/2013

I suppose it'll be open season on whitey soon.

by Anonymousreply 1806/23/2013

R16 you're wrong, in fact the economy was much worse off under Apartheid and the international sanctions. There was practically no export sector (aside from weapons sales to other rogue states) and the Apartheid system created vast inefficiencies in the economy (e.g. labour mobility). Of course the whites controlled nearly all the wealth and lived in the cities and beautiful suburbs, so to an outsider who would never be exposed to how the vast majority lived the country would have appeared very prosperous.

by Anonymousreply 1906/23/2013

The timing of this could really fuck up Prince Philip's exit. Everybody that's anybody politically will attend Mandela's funeral over Philip's.

How about Bush the Elder for our 3rd?

by Anonymousreply 2006/23/2013

He's ninety-fucking-four years old, suffered from tuberculosis while imprisoned, faces recurring respiratory troubles as well as other serious concerns, and has spent four extended stays in the hospital since December. And he's ninety-fucking-four years old.

He's going to die, and very soon. At this point "a miracle" would be for him to survive for three months.

by Anonymousreply 2106/23/2013

R14, my understanding from what I read recently is that it's a South African stigma to speak of someone dying until the family are ready to let his spirit depart, i.e., that they have made peace with it. Since he is the "fatger if the nation", this extends to the nation. Thus, there is a reluctance for the local media to speak about his imminent death.

by Anonymousreply 2206/23/2013

I honestly doubt it extends beyond ethnic cultural practices, R22. It may be a Xhosa thing (he's Xhosa, right??).

by Anonymousreply 2306/23/2013

Isn't it the Xhosa that do the clicking thing when they speak?

by Anonymousreply 2406/23/2013

The BBC is trying to have them keep him on ice until after Wimbledon.

by Anonymousreply 2506/23/2013

When someone is 94, death is not tragedy.

It's a full life.

by Anonymousreply 2606/23/2013

what's on his ipad? will Oprah be going wall to wall on OWN with her and Maya Angelou reading the letter he once sent her?

by Anonymousreply 2706/23/2013

I'm praying he has the kind of sticktoitofness of a Zsa Zsa Gabor.

by Anonymousreply 2806/23/2013

I hope he finds peace soon.

by Anonymousreply 2906/23/2013

Does he even know he is alive? He has not been responsive for a long time.

It is so sad that his family insisted on keeping him alive. It must be hard on him to receive treatments at this stage.

Can't they just keep him comfortable and let him die?

by Anonymousreply 3006/23/2013

His death is now being reported on Internet news sites. My apologies if this is premature.

by Anonymousreply 3106/26/2013

They seem to be the only ones reporting it R31. Most I can find is confirmation that he's on life support

by Anonymousreply 3206/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 3306/27/2013

Very soon he will be burning in hell.

by Anonymousreply 3406/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!