Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anybody else suffer from back pain?

2 years ago, I was a passenger in a car accident -- my then-boyfriend was driving, we slammed into a car that had raced through a stop sign -- and afterwards I gradually realized something had happened to my lower back -- I'd get this shooting pain emanating from my spine into my right hip.

I've been regularly seeing a chiropractor and it's been manageable up until recently -- I joined a gym hoping to lose weight (I'm 42 years old and about 20 lbs overweight) and during a session with my personal trainer -- he was emphasizing working on my core, whatever that is -- I had a spasm in the lower back and practically collapsed on the floor. This was two weeks ago and even though I've been to my primary care physician, taking pain meds, alternating head and cold on the lower back and doing stretching exercises, I'm still in unbearable pain.

I should probably see a specialist, but I'm terrified that surgery might be involved and I've heard back surgery is the worst. Anybody else suffer from back pain? What have you done about it?

by Anonymousreply 2606/24/2013

heat, not head

by Anonymousreply 106/23/2013

Read Dr. John Sarno's book. It's all in your head.

by Anonymousreply 206/23/2013

The supermarket I shop at is doing renovations out front, and I stumbled while leaving the other day. I didn't notice a step (there hadn't been one in the original exit), and landed hard on my right foot. It's two days later, and my lower right back is hurting. I'm thinking of going to the chiropractor.

by Anonymousreply 306/23/2013

Buy magnesium oil with a spray pump and spray it directly on top the source of pain - before or after a shower. Rub it in and let absorb. Expect a unique tingling sensation. Leave it on for an hour or so. Then wipe off if you want to. Good luck

by Anonymousreply 406/23/2013

Stop seeing chiropractors.

by Anonymousreply 506/23/2013

If you're having muscle spasms, it's much more likely due to mineral depletion than anything else. Get a blood work-up and find out which minerals you need to take supplements for. When you have that worked out adequately, muscle spasms will be a thing of the past.

But whatever you do, [bold]DO NOT GET ANY SURGERY DONE ON YOUR BACK.[/bold] Everyone I ever knew who had surgery for back pain has wound up worse for having it done. And of course, their surgeons always recommend more surgery to the point where it becomes practically routine that they have yet another surgery every two to five years.

by Anonymousreply 606/23/2013

Surgery is a last resort and only used in extreme cases. You would probably benefit most from seeing an experienced physical therapist, who can give you exercises and stretches that will ease the current pain and reduce the chances of it recurring.

by Anonymousreply 706/23/2013

If it's as bad as you say you should see a specialist. A real one, not a chiropractor. There are so many causes of back pain, but one to watch out for is spinal stenosis. After a traumatic back injury (such as your car accident) there may be soft tissue damage. This wouldn't necessarily be very painful at the time but your body goes into overdrive to protect the spinal cord and grows extra layers of bone on the vertebrae in the area. These layers of bone can then compress the cord and cause pain and/or paralysis if left untreated.

Or it might just be a cracked disc or muscle spasms - the thing is, without seeing a properly qualified professional - NOT a chiropractor - you won't know. If it's something that needs treatment it won't get better on it's own.

by Anonymousreply 806/23/2013

Most chiropractors in LA are Scientologists. No licensing or oversight.

by Anonymousreply 906/23/2013

Surgery is the very last resort, and may not even work. I was in a paid research study by Pfizer. I got a monthly injection; no side effects. The sensation of pain was blocked. I also needed a lot less sleep and carbs. Sadly Pfizer stopped the study. Still you might want to look into "pain blockers."

by Anonymousreply 1006/23/2013

That's my 'Sweet Baby', Robin Colcord!!

by Anonymousreply 1106/23/2013

Thanks for the responses. I've always suspected that my chiropractor is a bit of a quack. Will definitely look into a specialist and physical therapist.

by Anonymousreply 1206/23/2013

"I'm 42 years old and about 20 lbs overweight"

20 = 45

by Anonymousreply 1306/23/2013

If there is anything universally true it is that ignoring medical problems will make them go away.

by Anonymousreply 1406/23/2013


by Anonymousreply 1506/23/2013

RE: the back surgery- I had severe back pain (lower back pain radiating down my leg) off and on for several years and tried therapy, meds, chiropractic visits, acupuncture and massage with no success. I finally got an MRI and discovered a herniated disc. I opted for surgery, way back in 2006, and haven't had any problems since, so surgery is not always the worst alternative.

by Anonymousreply 1606/23/2013

My BF has been suffering from back pain for two months now. It's been miserabl and very har on him. It took four weeks before the doctor would do an MRI. when we finally had one done we foun out he has a herniated disc that is compressing two nerves which cause numbness down the left IDE of his leg into his foot. He saw a chiropractor in the beginning but after the MRI he has been doing mostly physical therapy to see if it slowly improves. So far it has been extremely slow and it's been almost 10 weeks now.

by Anonymousreply 1706/23/2013


You're making it worse! No matter how tempting, Dont stretch!!!! Keep with the moist heat and give it 6 weeks.

Order an imobilizing backbrace. Looks like a corset. (wear a wife beater under it, though so it isn't against your skin.)

SWIM. Find somewhere to do this. Just easy does it at first. Swimming will do more than a trainer can.

by Anonymousreply 1806/23/2013

Oh, don't start swimming until pain is gone.


by Anonymousreply 1906/23/2013

you need to get to a specialist, and you need to get an mri if for nothing else than to rule out a ruptured disc. i went thru two years of back pain with a chiropractor until the pain was too bad. found out that my disc was ruptured and my spine was nearly bone on bone and the things the chiropractor had been doing, while making me feel better, made my back worse.

by Anonymousreply 2006/23/2013

Stay the fuck away from chiropractors. Get to the best orthopedic dr. you can find for a complete workup. Also check with a neurologist concerning nerve damage. Do what they say to the letter but emphsize that surgery is a last resort.

Spinal stenosis is a bitch. Mine is so bad that I started recieving disability two months ago. I do exercises in a therapy pool and walk. That's all I can manage at the moment.

I've been warned of the complications which can come on at any moment. Loss of bowel and badder control, inability to stand or walk, loss of feeling in the legs are just a few. The Dr. told me to contact him immediately as there is a very small window of time to work on me before it becomes permanent.

by Anonymousreply 2106/23/2013

[quote]You're making it worse! No matter how tempting, Dont stretch!!!!

That depends on the stretch. I worked with a physical therapist during one of my outbreaks who gave me a method of stretching that almost immediately helped with the pain and that, done regularly, made it the shortest and least painful outbreak I'd ever had.

by Anonymousreply 2206/24/2013

Kill your ex-boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 2306/24/2013

Definitely see a specialist who will most likely send you to a physical therapist.

Your trainer is correct that core work will also help you when you can get back to working out. I had severe lower back pain when I screwed up my back years ago. I lived with constant back pain for a long time. I finally saw a specialist who recommended some back exercises, saw a physical therapist and started working out with a trainer to improve my core. Now, my back pain only occurs occasionally.

If you don't get all the necessary tests done you won't know what is wrong. Good luck. Back pain is no joke.

by Anonymousreply 2406/24/2013

You could also see a podiatrist and get some custom orthotics.

I have severe hip and back pain if I do not wear good orthtotics and shoes.

by Anonymousreply 2506/24/2013

Dr John Sarno!!!! Read his book!

Also stay away from Chiropracters. They have slight less credibility than "massage therapists."

by Anonymousreply 2606/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!