Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved!

[bold]Researchers Find Main Source of Pain in Blood Vessels[/bold]

Researchers have found the main source of pain in Fibromyalgia patients, and contrary to what many believe, it does not stem from the brain. The findings mark the end of a decades-old mystery about the disease, which many doctors believed was conjured in patients’ imaginations. The mystery of Fibromyalgia has left millions of sufferers searching for hope in pain medications. Up until recently, many physicians thought that the disease was “imaginary” or psychological, but scientists have now revealed that the main source of pain stems from a most unlikely place- excess blood vessels in the hand.

The discovery may lead to new treatments and perhaps even a total cure in the future, bringing relief to as many as 5 million Americans thought to have the disease. To solve the Fibromyalgia mystery, researchers zeroed in on the skin from the hand of one patient who had a lack of the sensory nerve fibers, causing a reduced reaction to pain. They then took skin samples from the hands of Fibromyalgia patients and were surprised to find an extremely excessive amount of a particular type of nerve fiber called arteriole-venule (AV) shunts.

Up until this point scientists had thought that these fibers were only responsible for regulating blood flow, and did not play any role in pain sensation, but now they’ve discovered that there is a direct link between these nerves and the widespread body pain that Fibromyalgia sufferers feel.

The breakthrough also could solve the lingering question of why many sufferers have extremely painful hands as well as other “tender points” throughout the body, and why cold weather seems to aggravate the symptoms. In addition to feeling widespread deep tissue pain, many Fibromyalgia patients also suffer from debilitating fatigue.

Neuroscientist Dr. Frank L. Rice explained: “We previously thought that these nerve endings were only involved in regulating blood flow at a subconscious level, yet here we had evidences that the blood vessel endings could also contribute to our conscious sense of touch… and also pain,” Rice said. “This mismanaged blood flow could be the source of muscular pain and achiness, and the sense of fatigue which are thought to be due to a build-up of lactic acid and low levels of inflammation fibromyalgia patients. This, in turn, could contribute to the hyperactivity in the brain.”

Current treatments for the disease have not brought complete relief to the millions of sufferers. Therapies include narcotic pain medicines; anti-seizure drugs, anti-depressants and even simple advice such as “get more sleep and exercise regularly.” Now that the cause of Fibromyalgia has been pinpointed, patients are looking forward to an eventual cure. Other expressed frustration about how much they had suffered already:

“When are they ever going to figure out that things are never “all in your head?” said one commenter. “Whenever something doesn’t fit in their tiny little understanding, they belittle the patient and tell them they are crazy. People have suffered through this since they were invented. Prescribing SSRIs for everything is not the answer any more than a lobotomy or hysterectomy was.”

by Anonymousreply 14401/26/2015

Well, our resident DL PhDs (pussy hating douchebags) scientists, I am pretty sure, will be delivering irrefutable evidence shortly why "fraus" claiming to suffer from it, actually don't. I guess you're still working on getting your "math" right, right boys?

by Anonymousreply 106/23/2013

This finding could be the END of Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 306/23/2013

What about Epstein-Barr?!

by Anonymousreply 406/23/2013

We've moved on to gluten allergies, Becka @ R1.

Please try to catch up.

by Anonymousreply 506/23/2013

What ABOUT Epstein-Barr? It's also called human herpesvirus 4 (HHV-4) and is one of the most common viruses in humans.

It is best known as the cause of mononucleosis. It is also associated with particular forms of cancer such as Hodgkin's lymphoma. There is evidence that infection with the virus is associated with a higher risk of certain autoimmune diseases, especially lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjögren's syndrome, and multiple sclerosis.

by Anonymousreply 606/23/2013

R6, that doesn't sound the least bit profitable and the sufferers aren't very likely to run/walk for a cure.

by Anonymousreply 706/23/2013

I already knew this.

by Anonymousreply 906/23/2013

R8, yes, because obesity is a disease now!

by Anonymousreply 1006/23/2013

I pity all the poor people who derived such smug satisfaction from their certitude that fibromyalgia was imaginary. Such people always strike me as wanting to believe such things to perpetuate a belief that they are better than the whiny sorts who complain about things.

by Anonymousreply 1106/23/2013

Well, chronic fatigue does exist, despite the whole syndrome craze. And contrary to what some people believe, it's not always avoidable. It's hormonal and can be improved with a comprehensive but expensive supplement regimen, which varies according to the individual.

by Anonymousreply 1306/23/2013

R12 from what I've read here lately apparently they hate everyone. Non-white gay men, bisexuals, women, transgender people, circumcision, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1406/23/2013

So how does one get "excess blood vessels." Presumably it's from losing a lot of weight. It's not a problem Datalounge will ever have to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 1506/23/2013

Dark lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 1606/23/2013

R17, May you be cursed with severe pain in every muscle of your body and be spat on by all of your so-called friends, so that you might have one fiber of sympathy in your "waste of space" cruel body.

by Anonymousreply 1806/23/2013

R14, we don't hate circumcision. We hate uncircumcision.

by Anonymousreply 2106/23/2013

Can someone PLEASE post Dorothy Zbornak's restaurant monologue in its entirety?

by Anonymousreply 2206/23/2013

R8-R20, you already suffer from a disease.

by Anonymousreply 2406/23/2013

Datalounge collectively lets out a whimper and pulls out its widows's weeds...

by Anonymousreply 2706/23/2013

R28 = full 'o shit stay home fibro fatty

by Anonymousreply 2906/23/2013

R29, You still haven't told DL what your ass looks like and how much you weigh. Why not?

by Anonymousreply 3006/23/2013

Interesting discovery. My mother was always a very active, athletic, adventurous, world travelling, healthy, hard-working woman who never complained.

She had very high cholesterol, which, for her, must have been genetic; my two older, skinny, vegan hippie brothers also have it.

In her late 70's, she quickly started getting symptoms of Fibromyalgia and arthritis, according to her doctors. She also had weird vein and circulation issues, which I'd assumed was atherosclerosis due to cholesterol deposits.

Due to fatigue, muscle pain, and weakness. Her activities declined over the next few years and she became frustrated over it. Ended up dieing of a massive stroke.

She used to love to wear my late Dad's motorcycle helmet while riding one of those scooters and scare small Christian children and mow over teens at the grocery store.

Not a frau. Was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I think this discovery might be credible.

by Anonymousreply 3106/23/2013

R29, Why should I bother? You'd believe my description of my ass as much as I believe yours is round and firm that that total strangers compliment you on it, i.e. not at all. Now please, frau, go away and take your fibro meds and calm yourself. All this typing cannot be good for your tender finger tips.

by Anonymousreply 3206/23/2013

Fibromyalgia isn't just one condition caused by one thing. It's a catch-all umbrella diagnosis for pain of unknown origin (often used by lazy doctors).

by Anonymousreply 3306/23/2013

R32, What are "fibro meds?" I type over 80 wpm. Do you "hunt and peck?" Please do the entire world a favor and commit yourself quickly to the nearest mental institution." You're far more dangerous than the worst of the Scienos. I'm afraid to read your unstable posts any longer; very bad karma/vibes/feelings/whatever.

by Anonymousreply 3406/23/2013

R33 - "Fibromyalgia isn't just one condition caused by one thing. It's a catch-all umbrella diagnosis for pain of unknown origin (often used by lazy doctors)"

...and diagnosed to lazy patients. Don't forget that part.

by Anonymousreply 3606/23/2013

R31 Did your mother by chance take Cipro, Levaquin or Avelox prior to her sudden decline in health? If so, I think you have your answer. This class of drugs does tremendous harm to people, yet the damage evades testing which allows these poisons to remain on the market. And of course victims are then labelled as being hypochondriacs by their doctors, or are told they are "just getting old." Others, predictably, are slapped with the "fibromyalgia" diagnosis. Anyone who values their health and/or mobility should stay the hell away from this class of antibiotics.

by Anonymousreply 3706/23/2013

r26 had the perfect Datalounge response.

by Anonymousreply 3806/23/2013

If this is true I look forward to the cure. I have one colleague who will be annoyed because now she'll have to look for a job. Cure can't come quickly enough!

by Anonymousreply 3906/23/2013

The only time I ever hear about Fibromyalgia is when I come to Datalounge. Is this a big thing in the real world?

by Anonymousreply 4006/23/2013

R39, I predict that if they come up with a "cure" for "fibromyalgia", 99.9% of its sufferers will continue to complain of pain and fatigue, and then claim that they were misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia in the first place and will remain off of work until they are properly diagnosed and treated. While they are waiting to be "cured" they will continue to be able shop during the day and eat vigorously.

by Anonymousreply 4106/23/2013

R36, Medically you can only say that you actually have fibromyalgia if you feel severe pain in 12 very specific pressure points, when those places are pressed by a doctor.

Shocking the medical ignorance on DL, despite new found facts. Some very, very angry people.

R35, Why don't you show me how to kill oneself in a grease fire first? At least that way you'd prove yourself useful to the world. I'm sure law enforcement would applaud your efforts; that way they wouldn't have to arrest you again for harassing girls.

by Anonymousreply 4206/23/2013

And be sure to avoid paragraph breaks or proper grammar, R42. Your disease requires it.

by Anonymousreply 4406/23/2013

R7 are you running FOR herpies or FROM herpies?

by Anonymousreply 4606/23/2013

I don't have fibro, but I had chronic fatigue for many years. I have it mostly licked now. I didn't complain to people, I just wasn't able to do anything after work. I had to go home in my zombie state of barely functional. I didn't get disability, but you're right - I also didn't clean my house. I couldn't. I could barely get through each day.

How did I fix it? I gave up high-carb/high-sugar vegetarianism! (I felt guilty at first.) I also began supplementation. Then I started working with a naturopath 1.5 years ago and got on adrenal supplements. I take a lot of them and I have close to normal amounts of energy now. I gave up gluten and most sugars, which helped. I still cheat on that, but when I do, I feel sick. I wish I could eat like everyone else, but I have more energy and fewer stomach aches when I skip all grains.

I also had a little depression, which was mostly due to living half a life, and never getting to do fun stuff - I worked and then came home and zoned out at the computer til bedtime. Things are better now. My doc still has me on serotonin and dopamine, and I do get mild depression if I skip it for a day or more, so I know I need it.

I think there are many maladies that could be fixed nutritionally or hormonally. I have two vegetarian friends left and their hormones are so out of whack. It's much easier for me to see it, now that my hormones are closer to balanced from eating properly. Vegetarianism is the big lie, which is unfortunate because there's not enough meat available to feed the world.

P.S. I had a boyfriend with fibro years ago. He still worked (sorta - he slept on the job and cheated his employer). Fibro is real.

by Anonymousreply 4706/23/2013

R43 You sure put a lot of time and energy into kicking people when they're down. Does that make you feel good?

by Anonymousreply 4806/23/2013

It is curious, isn't it, R48? I've never seen this before, someone being pissed off at people because they have a disease.

by Anonymousreply 4906/23/2013

[quote] What are all of these fat lesbians going to do when they have to go off disability? Will they still get mobility scooters?

I doubt anyone's getting them now since the government basically put The Scooter Store out of business for Medicare fraud.

by Anonymousreply 5006/23/2013

R49, then this must be the first time you've ever been in a datalounge fibromyalgia thread.

by Anonymousreply 5106/23/2013

R41, I received monthly injections as part of a Pfizer sponsored pain study for those with chronic back pain. It was like a miracle cure.

Would you say the same cruel things to the poor man on the other thread debating back surgery? I'm sure he'd like an end to his debilitating pain as well.

by Anonymousreply 5206/23/2013

R47, I applaud you for making changes in your life that had such a positive impact! I agree with you that many "conditions" can be treated with diet and other natural remedies. I hope you continue to do well. :) You have much to teach the fibro fraus about common sense, nutrition and taking charge of one's life. Sad to say, though, that the majority of them define themselves by saying they have fibromyalgia, and they revel in their label because it allows them to not be accountable for their choices and lifestyles.

by Anonymousreply 5306/23/2013

Should make for an interesting experience at DART this MichFest.

I have stated my boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 5406/23/2013

R53, I hear you, but having been there with constant overwhelm and fatigue, I can only feel compassion for sufferers. I couldn't possibly judge them because I know how real it is, how incapacitating, and how much it sucks. If you have chronic fatigue (and probably fibro too? not sure), everyday is overwhelming. You can't even keep up with mundane life, like cooking, cleaning and laundry. Which is depressing. Noone is full of joy when they live in a slovenly sty and feel unable to cope with it.

That said, noone is going to fix you. It pays to research and do whatever you can to heal yourself - it's only you who gets to either enjoy or suffer through your life.

by Anonymousreply 5506/23/2013

Sometimes I can't even stand up in the shower!

by Anonymousreply 5606/23/2013

Hmmm, the hands of Fibromyalgia sufferers seem to be trying to evolve a more powerful grip, to better operate their mobility scooters, while their rest of their bodies wither away.

by Anonymousreply 5706/23/2013

Meanwhile, R57, their delicate and painful hands never seem to fail them when they type out their long diatribes about how nobody understands their pain and what misery they are going through.

by Anonymousreply 5806/23/2013

The rabid frau haters who need to type paragraph after paragraph about fat fibromyalgia sufferers seem to be the ones with the psychological disorder.

Who ARE you people?

by Anonymousreply 5906/23/2013

And now there will be a pharmaceutical for this chronic condition. A non-curative pharmaceutical that costs a buttload of money and that you take for the rest of your life.

How convenient.

by Anonymousreply 6006/23/2013

Don't worry Couch Potatoes, you still have me.

by Anonymousreply 6206/23/2013

Don't forget me!

by Anonymousreply 6306/23/2013

It seems odd that they are declaring this is the absolute cause because of one study.

by Anonymousreply 6406/23/2013

Oh please please tell me: has anyone here ever experienced Morgellons Disease? I have only seen it discussed on Dateline type TV shows; but it seems so very weird. It may well be in the same over all arena as those with extreme environmental sensitivity, but where do those "threads" come from??? R54 Ha! When I saw this thread the first thing I thought of was Michfest!

by Anonymousreply 6506/23/2013

I've posted this on the DL before - I have a friend with fibromyalgia. Prior to knowing her, I always thought it was a psychosomatic ailment.

She's a former RN and current Ph.D. psychologist. She has always worked and refused to stop working when her doctors suggested it. I have seen for myself the pain and difficulty she has in even the most basic tasks. There is no way she was faking it. She also refused to take any narcotics because she's always reacted badly to them.

I'm sure that many faux fibro patients will find new illnesses to replace the now-cured fibro. My friend, and others who have genuinely suffered with this problem, will be thrilled that there is a possible cure.

by Anonymousreply 6606/23/2013

Jesus, R63, I'd never heard of that one so I just looked it up.

Fucking wackos.

by Anonymousreply 6706/23/2013

R66 - I would not presume that your friend is faking fibromyalgia. I would presume, however, that she has fooled herself into believing there is something wrong with her in order to draw attention to herself. She clearly hit the bullseye with you.

by Anonymousreply 6806/23/2013

[68]are you a doctor? Just intrigued that you think you can diagnose the millions of people who have been diagnosed with this having not ever met any of them. Judging by the amount of time you've invested posting on this thread alone, I would gather you're not a doctor...or gainfully employed. I'm also curious as to why this means so much to you, I mean seriously maybe you should talk to someone about this, it's a little unsettling.

by Anonymousreply 6906/24/2013

I feel really bad for people who actually do have Fibromyalgia and have to put up with the kind of attitudes exhibited in this thread.

I believe Fibromyalgia exists. I believe some people have been mis-diagnosed with it. Some of those people might be crazy but I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt because of my own experience.

A few years ago, I became extremely ill. There was nothing overtly wrong with me; I just could not get out of bed. I was chronically exhausted. I also spiked high fevers that would come and go. I went to the doctor and was told that I was depressed and needed to see a therapist. I knew something was really wrong and continued to go back to the doctor and get the same diagnosis: depression. My hair fell out, I lost weight. These were all possible symptoms of depression but I wasn't depressed. After seven months, I was finally diagnosed with mono. They had failed to test for it all that time. Of course, there's no cure for mono but I reduced my work load, eliminated high stressors and rested. I recovered.

It's damn awful being sick and having people tell you it's mental illness. I wish people would stop being so judgmental.

by Anonymousreply 7006/24/2013

So is vegetarianism to blame for fibro and chronic fatigue, r47? A lack of regular activity will disrupt your hormone levels more than a vegetarian diet will. What do you mean your doctor is giving you dopamine? Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is only prescribed in injectable form for people in shock because of heart-attack, surgery, or other such trauma. My Angela Lansbury sense is telling me you're not being entirely truthful with us.

by Anonymousreply 7306/24/2013

The frau-haters on DL are a very vocal minority who are clearly unsatisfied with themselves and their lives, so they need to prop up their ego by denigrating those they see as different. Additionally, these loons hate women because they get to fuck the straight guys these losers fetishize.

by Anonymousreply 7506/24/2013

No, R68, either you've completely misunderstood my post or I have not made myself clear.

My friend actually refuses attention. She won't stop working. She won't take drugs. She won't stop traveling and participating in life. She hates when people notice that she's having difficulty moving or performing some task. She just blows it off and steers the conversation somewhere else.

Stop being such an arrogant, condescending ass and trying to force every person into your limited understanding of the world.

There are plenty of fat frau fibro fakers - I'm sure of it. I am equally sure that my friend is not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 7606/24/2013

I agree, R75, I think a lot of it is envy.

by Anonymousreply 7906/24/2013

*Snort* @ R77. Honey, do you have any female friends who aren't college students?

by Anonymousreply 8106/24/2013

[quote]It's Sunday, you tool. I don't work weekends.

No, R71, your Sundays are spent frantically posting vitriol about Fibromyalgia on an anonymous message board....from 2pm to after midnight. LOL

by Anonymousreply 8306/24/2013

r65 - I think Morgellons was debunked in 2012 by the CDC.

by Anonymousreply 8406/24/2013

Weird. I've only ever met one person with fibro myalgia. She's about an American size 2-4, works full time, walks three miles to work and then home again every day and has an active social life. She really doesn't fit your stereotype at all. She has also just had a diagnosis of osteoporosis. It is hardly heard of over here. Must be an American thing to misuse it.

by Anonymousreply 8506/24/2013

R73, I wrote a long post, but it didn't save. Short version: the bottle from my doc says "serotonin dopamine support". And, I can only say my research and anecdotal experiences show me vegetarianism isn't healing, and doesn't provide necessary nutrients. I can't say that 100% of people will have the same results (but I bet a lot of them would, based on what I've read, and what the body is able to absorb).

by Anonymousreply 8606/24/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8706/24/2013

Psychosomatic symptoms can feel like "real" pain. That doesn't mean, however, that anything is physically wrong with the person.

by Anonymousreply 8806/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 8906/24/2013

Could someone please tell me why there are so many angry, insulting messages on this thread, yet none on the one started by the poor man suffering from a painful back injury? What's the real difference? Many experiencing fibromyalgia have been through repeated car accidents, serious falls, and various injuries as well. Just because you don't have debilitating pain doesn't mean that others are lying. You don't know their true medical histories.

by Anonymousreply 9006/24/2013

I have no doubt it exists. I also have no doubt that I know people who use it as an excuse to not do things that they don't feel like doing. Let there be an activity that they're interested in and they are there with bells on. Those are the people who ruin it for everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 9206/24/2013

[quote]Maybe if dykes were nice to their male counterparts that wouldn't be the case.

by Anonymousreply 9306/24/2013

[quote] Oh please please tell me: has anyone here ever experienced Morgellons Disease?

Joni Mitchell insists she has it.

I don't know one way or the other, but I'm inclined to give Joni a pass because (a) she's a smart woman, not a frau who loves to play victim and (b) with her childhood polio, I'm sure something is fucked up with her nerves/system somehow.

by Anonymousreply 9406/24/2013

We need to know more about the curious pathology of the rabid misogynist troll. R71's trolldar indicates a frantically hostile and bizarre personality.

by Anonymousreply 9506/24/2013

R92, There will always be people who use pain and illness as phony excuses. Likewise there are those of us who miss out on lifes' pleasures and things that we really want to do, like holiday celebrations and movie attendance. I will say that bending and cleaning is more physically painful than walking at times. The latter doesn't strain the back and neck.

Please me more understanding in the future; just don't generalize about everyone.

by Anonymousreply 9606/24/2013

OK, I'll confess to knowing socially a "fibro sufferer" that the DL loves to hate.

She's very overweight, overdramatic and was an absolutely fucking spoiled brat when she was a kid.

Her "fibro" is just a way for her to get attention and not have to work. Her parents babied and coddled her through out her life. She's been married twice and has a kid with "Austim" (her diagnosis hence the quote marks).

Everything is constantly about HER - her problems, her drama, her kid, her misery. She refuses to work (because that's not about HER and she'd have to do something) so she couch surfs until people get sick of her shit and throw her out. She refuses to let anyone help her kid (because he is her leverage and her meal ticket now) but he's supposed to be the "most important thing in my life ever!!!"

I only keep her as a friend on FB because the train wreck value is golden.

by Anonymousreply 9706/24/2013

The Morgellon threads are the bodily expression of an unconscious expression of boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 9806/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 9906/24/2013

I believe that Fibromyalgia exists, and I believe gluten intolerance exists. I just don't believe 50% of the people who say they are afflicted with those things.

by Anonymousreply 10006/24/2013

R100, If you don't believe 50% of the people that claim they have fibromyalgia, why don't you ask them if a doctor has checked the 12 pressure points on their body that verify the disease? Then ask if any of their relatives also suffer; it's believed to be inherited. You might also inquire if they've been in any car accidents, serious falls, or other injuries that make it far worse.

by Anonymousreply 10106/24/2013

I have fibers growing out of my eyeballs!

by Anonymousreply 10206/24/2013

R14 actually gay men don't hate bisexuals as much as they can hate women, trans people, and anyone that's human male or female should hate circumcision since it's genital mutilation.

For the gay men that are biphobic it's just as hypocritical and as bad as being homophobic and you have something in common with lesbian women who hate bisexual women.

by Anonymousreply 10306/26/2013

R101, ANYONE can do research and find out what the "12 pressure points" are and what the "correct" response should be so they can be successfully diagnosed with fibrofatass.

by Anonymousreply 10406/26/2013

Has it not it been established that women are literally more sensitive— as it they have twice the amount of nerves in their whole body then men? It has something to do with the abilty to have babies and what not- the Mother's body needs to be more 'aware' of what's going on or some such.

Or is that a myth? If this is the case- than this latest discovery makes perfect sense.

by Anonymousreply 10506/26/2013

We are more sensitive - tender to the touch, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 10606/26/2013

it'll be cool when they have a failsafe test for the disease. the people who are faking must be getting a little nervous.

by Anonymousreply 10706/26/2013

R104, You don't make any sense. Don't you think that doctors are trained to determine who's really in pain, and to what degree, and who's a "faker?" Wouldn't a doctor apply pressure to a phony place to determine the patients' reaction?

Why aren't you posting likewise ridiculous comments on the poor man who's contemplating back surgery? Do you think he's lying too?

by Anonymousreply 10806/27/2013

R107, They do have a fail safe test for this disease. There are 12 specific points on the body, and if pressure is applied to each place the patient experiences pain. Doctors are used to those that exaggerate illness or injury, and are trained to distinguish truth from fiction.

It is also now assumed to be inherited. If one has been through multiple injuries or car accidents, it makes the condition worse. Sufferers have good days and bad days, like anyone else experiencing chronic pain for a valid reason. Likewise certain physical movements are much harder to do than others.

by Anonymousreply 10906/27/2013

that's no a failsafe test. pain can be faked. surely there is plenty of info available about how to sail through a fibro test and get a formal diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 11006/27/2013

R110, Again, don't you think that doctors deal with liars every day? How about those that try to get on medical disability, or money for car accidents, or work-related injuries?

by Anonymousreply 11106/27/2013

Oh for Pete's sake all you idiots saying "Pain can be faked!!!" These people aren't negotiating injury lawsuits, FFS, and neither are you.

You look like a bunch of douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 11206/27/2013

they are just the same. malingerers.

by Anonymousreply 11306/27/2013

we're not douches. it's just that some people are looking for painkillers and all of that.

by Anonymousreply 11406/27/2013

R113, R114, Who granted you the title of "world police" with the ability to condemn, or at least insult and degrade, sufferers? Have you never experienced severe pain and thus have absolutely no sympathy for anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 11506/27/2013

are you loco? I just said that some people are faking it and some aren't. do you dispute this obvious fact?

by Anonymousreply 11606/27/2013

R101, R108, R109, R111, R115, etc. I tangled with you earlier in this thread. I have dealt with the likes of you before. You are nothing but a fibrofatass here to try and justify your pitiful little fantasy "disease". I asked you several probing questions to try and understand you, but instead of answering, all you do is justify and defend yourself and other fibro fakers. I also asked you kindly a few days ago to go and die in a grease fire. Any progress on that, or are your finger tips too tender to light the match?

by Anonymousreply 11706/27/2013

Are you in need of help?

by Anonymousreply 11806/27/2013

R117, If you have any legitimate questions that I did not answer, please restate them and I will do my best to respond.

However, you did not even attempt to answer my question. Did you also spread your hate on the poor man suffering from excruciating back pain, so severe that he is contemplating surgery?

Why would I comply with your wish to die in a grease fire? I do not wish ill of you or of any other human being, no matter how mentally ill/unfeeling I deem them to be.

by Anonymousreply 11906/28/2013

Has anyone in Great Britain heard of "Cherry Active," from Holland & Barrett? Apparently, its been shown in medical trials to help sleep and muscle recovery. England rugby are said to use it after matches. Someone online said it helps with fibromyalgia as well.

by Anonymousreply 12006/29/2013

Bump for the fibro frau fatties! Have any of you tried the new "cure"?

by Anonymousreply 12108/21/2013

Most that have fibromyalgia also have chronic pain, and have been in a car accident, serious workplace injury, hospitalized for a period of time, etc. Sometimes it's related to nutritional deficiencies, like a Vit B deficiency, proven in a simple blood test. Yes, there are fakers and there are stoics.

Empathy for those in pain. Glad I'm back to walking 10 miles at a time.

by Anonymousreply 12208/23/2013

This is just weird to me. Who are these people who don't work because of it? I know three people with fibromyalgia. They all come to work every day and work like everyone else. One has a special chair. One doesn't take her vacation so she can use those days if she has a particularly bad flare up. I don't know what meds they take, if any, but it doesn't seem like it could be a narcotic.

My mom had something like this, although it wasn't diagnosed. She took up yoga and started eating vegan. It didn't help a lot, but she said it kept her mind off the pain.

I just don't get why it makes everybody so rabid.

by Anonymousreply 12410/16/2013

I work with two straight guys in their 40's who are dealing with fibromyalgia. They have normal weight and try to keep fit. I don't think they enjoy being in pain and they are not weeping through their megaphones about their illness.

Picking on people for their problems is beyond "pointless bitchery", it's just bullying people, why choose to take that experience from the past and pass it on?

by Anonymousreply 12510/16/2013

From the Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2013 Jul 2: "Fibromyalgia is a common but contested illness. Its definition and content have changed repeatedly in the 110 years of its existence. The most important change was the requirement for multiple tender points and extensive pain that arose in the 1980s, features that were not required previously. By 2010, a second shift occurred that excluded tender points, allowed less extensive pain, and placed reliance on patient-reported somatic symptoms and cognitive difficulties ('fibro fog') that had never been part of past definitions or content. Fibromyalgia is closely allied with and often indistinguishable from neurasthenia, a disorder of the late 19th and early 20th centuries that lost favour when it was perceived as being a psychological illness. Fibromyalgia's status as a 'real disease', rather than a psychocultural illness, is buttressed by social forces that include support from official criteria, patient and professional organizations, pharmaceutical companies, disability access, and the legal and academic communities."

Basically you have a syndrome that has "redefined" itself over time, with the active involvement of pharmaceutical companies, patient rights organizations, and the disability community/industry (yes, the Scooter Store). BUT not the medical community.

As a physician, I have always wondered why my patients with this most-likely psychosomatic condition complain more vigorously about their pain (and suffer much higher rates of disability) than my patients with cancer or lupus or MS,for example. Many of my patients with cancer, who often suffer extraordinary pain (from both the cancer itself and the treatment) want to continue to work and function as normally as possible. Patients with fibromyalgia tend to focus on their perceived dysfunction and need for disability and such. Many doctors, such as myself, see fibromyalgia for what it is: a psychosomatic illness in which the perception of pain is real, but the treatment should be primarily psychological.

by Anonymousreply 12610/16/2013

"This is just weird to me. Who are these people who don't work because of it?"

R24, have you READ this thread? Fibro is the fave choice of the fraus who need attention or don't want to work. Or both.

by Anonymousreply 12710/16/2013

Yet another "disease" created by drug companies, who are all on the verge of bankruptcy.

by Anonymousreply 12810/16/2013

Still confused. So my mom doesn't really have pain, just imagines she does? What does she gain from it? She doesn't talk about it and she is retired so it's not to get out of work. She volunteers at the food pantry three days a week. I have to say, I'm not inclined to doubt her.

by Anonymousreply 12910/20/2013

I guess the cure must be real! We haven't had any fat fibro fraus here for a long time talking about the daily pain and agony they endure while they sit at home not working.

by Anonymousreply 13009/03/2014

We never know our moms as well as we think we do. You don't hear her on the phone or with her friends when you are gone. Plus you weren't at work with her all those years.

As you can see by the age of this thread it seems the disease has passed into obscurity. Gone the way of the Epstein Barr virus. The chronic fatigue. The sick building. Stay tuned for what comes next.

They all have one thing in common though. Can you guess?

by Anonymousreply 13109/03/2014

I know someone who has fibromyalgia. She works every day and isn't fat. She's also perfectly sane. The only thing in her history is a bad car accident about 20 years ago. Sometimes I wonder if that is related.

by Anonymousreply 13209/03/2014

Instead, R130, we have cunts like you.

by Anonymousreply 13309/03/2014

There's something about gay men, isn't there...? And it's not pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 13409/03/2014

R131 - "They all have one thing in common though. Can you guess?"

Is that they all primarily affect fat fraus?

by Anonymousreply 13509/03/2014

R133, I'll take that as a compliment. :)

by Anonymousreply 13609/03/2014

Fake illness.

by Anonymousreply 13701/15/2015

It's all a conspiracy to insert the Mark of The Beast. Think about it: 5 million people.

That ought to make Hell a decently populated place, right?

OTOH, getting off their pain meds would mean they're sober and sober people are so grindingly boring.

by Anonymousreply 13801/15/2015

Would bloodletting work?

by Anonymousreply 13901/15/2015

Is the a white, American disease or do other ethnic groups here and abroad suffer from this?

by Anonymousreply 14001/15/2015

Sorry that should be "is this a white, American......"

by Anonymousreply 14101/15/2015

So who is going to apologize to all the fraus who really were in pain?

by Anonymousreply 14201/16/2015

Would love to see the [italic]Casting Fibromyalgia: The Lifetime Movie[/italic] thread

by Anonymousreply 14301/16/2015

Why have there been no new fibro threads or fraus posting about their fibro? I guess the "cure" really worked!!

by Anonymousreply 14401/26/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!