and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Weekend Box Office: World War Z #2 with $63 Million

1. Monsters University - $79 million

2. World War Z - $63 million

3. Man of Steel - $42 million

by Anonymousreply 11506/29/2013

"Monsters University"

And they wonder why Hollywood chooses not to produce good films anymore.

by Anonymousreply 106/22/2013

That's a big dive for Supes.

by Anonymousreply 206/22/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 306/22/2013

Man 0f Steel was terrible. Now Lois knows Clark Kent is Superman from the beginning. So fucking stupid. Zack Snyder is cinema poison

by Anonymousreply 406/22/2013

So much for the Brangeloonies going in support of Brad. I guess there's not enough of them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 506/22/2013

Just to clarify, OP's sums are estimates for the weekend based largely on the Friday box office results.

Actual numbers will be available Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 606/22/2013

I still need to see Man Of Steel!

by Anonymousreply 706/22/2013

r6 and I think advanced ticket sales already purchased over the internet & in person at box offices.

by Anonymousreply 806/22/2013

Oh no you don't, R7

by Anonymousreply 906/22/2013

[quote]Zack Snyder is cinema poison

Zack didn't write the story nor script. Blame Christopher Nolan.

by Anonymousreply 1006/22/2013

Well, R10, it was a directionless, parasitic film (laughably ripping off Terence Malick), badly paced and edited. He has to be responsible for something!

by Anonymousreply 1106/22/2013

This is actually a stunning upset in the making.

WWZ was projected to be in the high 40's/low fifties and was expected to place 3rd behind Superman.

I mean to go from high 40's to 60+s is quite a jump. You got to believe it's actually shrinking MU's take (by around 5 mill/MU was tracking @ 80-85 mills) and obviously taking business away from MOS.

I feel bad for the beautiful Henry Cavill though, but then again he is bearding so screw him.

by Anonymousreply 1206/22/2013

Brad's film is a worldwide smash hit. His A listing remains bolted down. The haters are gonna hurt so much because of this.

by Anonymousreply 1306/22/2013

$63 million on a budget of over $200 million (and not counting the extensive and very expensive marketing). It's not a total flop but it's not really a hit either. It will never make its money back.

by Anonymousreply 1406/22/2013

What's out next weekend? Will WWZ be able to stand up?

by Anonymousreply 1506/22/2013

My life will be RUINED if WWZ is a giant hit!

RUINED!

by Anonymousreply 1606/22/2013

[quote]What's out next weekend? Will WWZ be able to stand up?

White House Down.

by Anonymousreply 1706/22/2013

Oh yes, White House Down. AKA Obamarambo. Mind control for morons. Pitt has NOTHING to worry aobut

by Anonymousreply 1806/22/2013

R16 = Jennifer Anniston

by Anonymousreply 1906/22/2013

Books are always better than the movie with the exception of The Shining and Gone With The Wind. The bloggers jumped on the fanboy angst of a few diehards married with the shit-in-pants-itis of a few studio execs to manufacture a gossip story of the end of Brad Pitt's career. The only problem is the New York Times and Rolling Stone refused to bow to the superior opinion of Lainey, and Enty from CDAN.

by Anonymousreply 2006/22/2013

Jaws the movie was infinitely better than the book.

by Anonymousreply 2106/22/2013

R63 that has been the story of WWZ. Remember all the bad publicity it was getting when some parts of the film had to be reshot?

It will have to make around 450-500 mill worldwide in order to break even so that it can make profit out of tv rights, dvd sales, and so fort.

I think the surprise is that WWZ is actually turning things around from a prediction of doom to it might break even. Do you think it's a surprise that Paramount is selling the tv rights for this film like there was no tomorrow? They are not waiting another week because it looks like they might break even. Rumor has it that they have made close to 30 millions out of them thus far.

WB is looking really bad right now. They really neglected Pacific Rim because "Man Of Steel" was their event film. They might break even with MOS but how much of a loss will Pacific Rill be? My friend saw a testscreen and said it was awesome. :( Damn! Damn! Damn!

by Anonymousreply 2206/22/2013

I meant to say R14 not R63

by Anonymousreply 2306/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 2406/23/2013

R24

Well they might get their wish with Pacific Rim (180+ mill) or Gravity (100+ mill when you include advertisement). Imo none of those films deserve their fate...both seem to be quality films.

Lone Ranger or The Wolverine (100+ mill. both) could tank as well...

by Anonymousreply 2506/23/2013

After Earth us the first flip of the season. Hangover 3 was lackluster, but still made decent money. Man of Steel is definitely seen as a hit in media and the industry.

by Anonymousreply 2606/23/2013

Brad Pitt is not a blockbuster star yet he keeps landing blockbuster movies. WWZ could make up to $180 million in America, I think $130-140 million is more likely.

by Anonymousreply 2706/23/2013

I'm taking to my bed over the realization that Star Trek Into Darkness is out of the top 10. I'll never forgive the movie going public. Never, never, never.

by Anonymousreply 2806/23/2013

Well, I'm a straight woman going to see WWZ just to look at Brad Pitt for two hours.

I'd watch him read the phone book.

by Anonymousreply 2906/23/2013

Oblivion and After Earth have both been huge flops. The dethroning of Will Smith has taken up plenty of press space.

Lone Ranger is going to be another spectacular belly flop for Disney in the vein of John Carter.

by Anonymousreply 3006/23/2013

[quote]Oh yes, White House Down. AKA Obamarambo. Mind control for morons. Pitt has NOTHING to worry aobut

White House Down stars Channing Tatum, who is a proven opener of movies now. Pitt has plenty to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 3106/23/2013

Maybe, R31. How sad would that be if Obamarambo the movie were successful? The trailer is laughable. And racist - white man saves black man - who is the president! - again. I guess there's a magical negro in the white house.

by Anonymousreply 3206/23/2013

last Friday Brad made an unannounced appearance at a theater in Madrid that was showing WWZ. Imagine the shock, you're sitting there waiting for the movie to begin and in comes Brad Fucking Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 3306/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 3406/23/2013

I think Z will have legs. Peple will gravitate to it because it's not just another scifi or superhero movie. Lone Ranger should do well too.

by Anonymousreply 3506/23/2013

Just saw WWZ. Thought it was very entertaining

by Anonymousreply 3606/23/2013

Lone Ranger and Pacific Rim will both flop. Elysium and Gravity will do well.

by Anonymousreply 3706/23/2013

So, glad World War Z is steeling Superman's tickets. That epic fail should not be encouraged.

(Thanks America and world movie-goers for making Transformers "a thing".)

by Anonymousreply 3806/23/2013

I guess Disney is counting on the love of Johnny Depp overcoming their distaste for racism?

Honestly, you'd think Marlon Brando would rise from his grave and punch Bob Iger in the face.

by Anonymousreply 3906/23/2013

[quote]Well, I'm a straight woman going to see WWZ just to look at Brad Pitt for two hours.

He ain't much to look at in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 4006/23/2013

200k is just the production budget, add 100k for the marketing budget to that and you see why it has to make so much to just break even.

And, yes, these are estimated figures.

by Anonymousreply 4106/23/2013

Wow! World War Z just keeps "movin' on up".

Weekend Estimates: 'Monsters U' - $82 million, 'World War Z' - $66 million, 'Man of Steel' - $41.2 million

by Anonymousreply 4206/23/2013

World War Z box office = Star Trek Into Darkness box office ???

by Anonymousreply 4306/23/2013

:o

WOW MU just recoup 3 mill from yesterdays estimates that it would make 79 mill. This thing is huge!

WWZ actually improved from yesterday's predictions too. I mean 66 mill!!! Could this film pull a miracle and do 70 mill by the end of the day?

70 mill in opening weekend will definitely push WWZ out of the "red zone".

Got to give it to Pitt, he worked his ass off promoting this train-wreck.

MOS might fall to 39 mill.

by Anonymousreply 4406/23/2013

Also, the weekend projections for MOS are comparing it to last week's 3-day gross and NOT including the heft Thursday box office. So what looks like a 67% drop is actually a WHOLE lot steeper than that.

by Anonymousreply 4506/23/2013

[quote]They might break even with MOS but how much of a loss will Pacific Rill be?

MOS already made back its production budget with product placement. Once the film opened, it was pure profit.

Hopefully, the WB will take this weekend's news with the idea that the next MOS film needs to have better villains and up the ante in pacing.

by Anonymousreply 4606/23/2013

Here's what has to happen in the MOS sequel -

1. No Zack Snyder. Try Duncan Jones.

2. No grim, murdering Superman. Brighten things up a little. NO 9/11 visual references.

3. Replace Amy Adams. Or dye her hair brown, make her bitchy and strident, selfish, sort of ridiculous yet smart. She is a good actress but her performance was meh city

4. Lois is going to have to get amnesia after the stupid choice of her knowing Clark Kent is Superman

5. More references to DC comic characters

6. Kryptonite

7. Get a new DC comics logo. It looks like old baloney falling out of a package

by Anonymousreply 4706/23/2013

r46, hopefully, WB will also get a new writer and a new director to actually make a good film.

by Anonymousreply 4806/23/2013

The trailer for Gravity is awesome, I fucking can't wait to see it.

Pacific Rim looks like another Transformers flick. I think del Toro is a brilliant director, but this looks like he's slumming.

by Anonymousreply 4906/23/2013

Start Treek Into Darkness should be breaking even about now. It's currently at 430 mill world wide. With broadcast rights up in the air and On Demand/DVD sales still to come, it should put this thing around a 60 million profit. Not what the studio was hoping but hey it's better than a write off/loss.

R46 I'm not so sure it made all it's production cost right away, but if they did well with product placement it should make some profit then.

Anyone knows if Pacific Rim is expected to do well with endorsements and stuff? The best case scenario is that it makes 120-150 mills in the US and then hopefully the rest of the international markets can bring her home. It should do well in China and Russia for sure. Yikes! 500mill seems like such a daunting task.

by Anonymousreply 5006/23/2013

R49 Well, at least from those few that have seen it, it's more of a Neon Genesis: Evangelion type of movie than a Michael Bay train-wreck. Hopefully is not all hype and it's better than Trashformers.

by Anonymousreply 5106/23/2013

r51, I'm too lazy to google it; wtf is Neon Genesis: Evangelion?

by Anonymousreply 5206/23/2013

[quote]Books are always better than the movie with the exception of The Shining and Gone With The Wind.

Rosemary's Baby

The Silence of the Lambs

Fight Club

Let the Right One In

by Anonymousreply 5306/23/2013

I'll probably go see Pacific Rim just because of Del Toro. His monsters are wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 5406/23/2013

How do you guys discuss box office week after week and know so little?

It must be your desires to see everything fail which taints your ability to understand things like facts and truth.

by Anonymousreply 5506/23/2013

World War Z was an okay movie and will make just over 200 million domestically and more than make up the $400 million (not $500) needed to break even WW. It'l end up being a minor hit.

Marc Forster wii NOT be returning for the sequel. He's not the reason this movie had such troubles, but his complete lack of contribution to the solution and his sideline standing is not compatible with a movie of this size.

by Anonymousreply 5606/23/2013

Haven't seen it, but it was always implausible that Lois could not recognize Clark. That change makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 5706/23/2013

I love Del Toro, but PACIFIC RIM (awful title, btw) looks like the kind of thing Harry Knowles masturbates to in between eating and farting into his wheelchair. I have NO interest in seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 5806/23/2013

R55 = Arrogant asswipe!

R52 Neon Genesis is a giant robot vs. monster anime. It's actually pretty good for an animated series. Peopple keep comparing Pacific Rim to the animated series Neon Genesis.

by Anonymousreply 5906/23/2013

Lois' impulsivity, her lust for a great story, her self-involvement were the (comical, possibly sexist) reasons for her not being able to see the biggest story in the world, right under her nose. Christopher Reeve's top notch portrayal of Clark Kent as a clumsy, unconfident Midwestern oaf sealed the deal, and it was great entertainment. MOS sucked

by Anonymousreply 6006/23/2013

Pacific Rim sounds like a film about a bunch fat Samoans rimming each other

by Anonymousreply 6106/23/2013

[quote]1. No Zack Snyder. Try Duncan Jones.

Now this idea would win me over. Love Love Love Duncan Jones and his sensibility. He definitely knows how to get across isolation and alien-nature of a main character without losing that character's humanity.

by Anonymousreply 6206/23/2013

What r60. I remember watching Sneak Previews back during the 1981 Oscar race and how both Siskel and Ebert thought that Reeve deserved Oscar consideration for his portrayal of Clark Kent/Superman in Superman II -- and I agree, he made you believe that this character was, indeed, two different people.

by Anonymousreply 6306/23/2013

[quote]Lone Ranger or The Wolverine (100+ mill. both) could tank as well...

Wolverine is going to do very well in the foreign market. I don't think they made this movie for a domestic audience (have you seen the trailer?). Most of the movie takes place in Japan and domestically only comic book fanboys will care.

Box office mojo prediction: (Domestic: $125 million, Foreign: $250 million)

by Anonymousreply 6406/23/2013

[quote]I'll probably go see Pacific Rim just because of Del Toro.

I will too -- in spite of a trailer that makes it look like Transformers 4.

by Anonymousreply 6506/23/2013

Pacific Rim looks awesome. I think it will end up being a surprise hit.

by Anonymousreply 6606/23/2013

I think Pacific Rim looks awesome from the trailer. But then I thought the same thing abut the Transformer movie based on its trailer and then when I watched it and it is was one of the worst and most boring films I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 6706/23/2013

[quote]I'm taking to my bed over the realization that Star Trek Into Darkness is out of the top 10. I'll never forgive the movie going public. Never, never, never.

Yeah, we're all broken up about that.

by Anonymousreply 6806/23/2013

I tend to agree that the Lois non-recognition thing generated a lot of plot angles, but got not only implausible but boring even in the comic books. I was glad to see MOS dispense with the fiction.

Harder to handle, in the sequels, will be the "Superman as Tragic Figure" motif. It just doesn't work as well as it did with the modern Batman movies.

by Anonymousreply 6906/23/2013

I went to see WWZ with my boyfriend last night and we both really enjoyed it. It was very entertaining and suspenseful, especially the first sequence when the epidemic first starts to break out and everyone is in a state of panic and then the last sequence in the laboratory when the intensity level was really high. I also liked the epic scale of it. Most zombie movies tend to stick to small scale to show a more human aspect but this really did feel global and expansive.

One thing I was shocked about was the deteriorated state of Brad Pitt's looks. He looked worn out and disheveled. No longer the pulled together cinema idol he once was. He even had an ugly bugged eyed look to him and a sallow pallor. I can't explain it. He just didn't look well at all. Too much pot, I think.

by Anonymousreply 7006/23/2013

Superman himself is boring. It's the villains he has to face that added to his storyline.

The only take away from the Reeves films was the classic Superman II and that's because of General Zod, Ursa and Non.

by Anonymousreply 7106/23/2013

He's almost 50. Of course he's not going to look like he did before.

by Anonymousreply 7206/23/2013

r71, Superman (in the comics and the first two Reeve films) is far more interesting than the self-pitying, self-involved Batman.

by Anonymousreply 7306/23/2013

[quote]It must be your desires to see everything fail which taints your ability to understand things like facts and truth.

If everything fails, then the people who were mean to me in high school will be vanquished forever!

by Anonymousreply 7406/23/2013

[He's almost 50. Of course he's not going to look like he did before.]quote

I'm almost fifty and people still call me a twink.

by Anonymousreply 7506/23/2013

Long hair and beards on older gentlemen is NOT a flattering look. If he shaved his face and cut his hair he'd be handsome again. He just insists on looking like an overgrown hippy man-child.

by Anonymousreply 7606/23/2013

[quote] One thing I was shocked about was the deteriorated state of Brad Pitt's looks. He looked worn out and disheveled.

The man is being chased by zombies.

You on the other hand would put on your best smoking jacket, comb your hair and insist on packing your LV overnight case . . . and end up DEAD - I mean, UNDEAD!

Brad still cleans up beautifully and thank god he no longer looks like a twink.

by Anonymousreply 7706/23/2013

[quote]Brad still cleans up beautifully and thank god he no longer looks like a twink.

Praise The Lord!

by Anonymousreply 7806/23/2013

My partner,housemate,and myself just came back from seeing it. We all really liked it. Scary suspenseful, and smart. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 7906/23/2013

Looks like Henry Cavill is taking a big fall.

by Anonymousreply 8006/23/2013

Shut-up, r80...no, he's not!

by Anonymousreply 8106/23/2013

Great Boxoffice. Brad is still a SUPERSTAR at 50!

by Anonymousreply 8206/23/2013

Uhhmm, R75 ?!

by Anonymousreply 8306/23/2013

I just saw WWZ. Usually, I like this type of movie; however, it was a huge pile of "meh". Just a mess. The theater was close to full (approx 85% of seats filled from what I saw), and the audience was extremely quiet for a movie of this type. Afterwards, I heard a couple of the audience call it "World War Zero".

by Anonymousreply 8406/23/2013

R75, suuuure you did.

by Anonymousreply 8506/23/2013

[quote]Man 0f Steel was terrible.

But it achieved its original objective though, so that's probably enough to keep it going.

by Anonymousreply 8606/23/2013

R78 you're full of shit (meh.). You weren't there...and the whole "meh" thing is kind of meh.

by Anonymousreply 8706/23/2013

Openning with 63 million is a failure ???

Sheesh! Has my step father become a film critic ?

This week end seems successful to me (for Monster inc and WWZ). That said, after watching the trailer, I must say I'm not interested in seeing that moive. At all.

Also, next week, I'll watch the White House Down thing. For Channing Tatum. I don't care what that makes me. I root for the guy and frankly, I should get some eye candy. I'll rationalize the rest with : "It's summer entertainment!Fun!" whether I really mean it or not.

by Anonymousreply 8806/23/2013

R87, time for you to get reading glasses

by Anonymousreply 8906/23/2013

Wags in my audience called it World War ZZZZZZ. A lot of high fiving among the nerds for coming up with that one.

by Anonymousreply 9006/23/2013

Uhm,R83 ? What did R87 say that makes you think she needs glasses?

by Anonymousreply 9106/24/2013

"The whole movie seems in many ways like a fortunate accident. But there's no doubting the deliberate wisdom of making a star of Pitt's talent and stature the lead."--TORONTO STAR

by Anonymousreply 9206/26/2013

"The surprise of the absorbing, frightening "World War Z" is that what sounds ridiculous on paper turns out be a gripper on the screen."--BOSTON GLOBE

by Anonymousreply 9306/26/2013

[quote]Looks like Henry Cavill is taking a big fall.

Yeah, that's a huge drop for the second week. Everyone I know that saw the movie opening weekend said that the movie was disappointing, so I'm guessing word got around how shitty the film is causing people not to bother seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 9406/26/2013

[quote]2. No grim, murdering Superman. Brighten things up a little. NO 9/11 visual references.

Are you kidding me? I haven't seen the movie (probably never will until it comes on cable), do they actually reference 9/11? How?

by Anonymousreply 9506/26/2013

R81 scares me.

by Anonymousreply 9606/26/2013

I'm sure Superman will continue making money incl. repeat business for the same reason Titanic did - chicks want to go stare at Cavill the way they went for Leo.

by Anonymousreply 9706/26/2013

What is "Monsters University"?

by Anonymousreply 9806/26/2013

[quote]unconfident

Oh dear.

[quote]What is "Monsters University"?

It's the prequel to "Monsters, Inc."

by Anonymousreply 9906/26/2013

Monsters U. - juggernaut. WWZ - doing well Man of Steel - huge drop-off.

by Anonymousreply 10006/26/2013

[quote]I'm sure Superman will continue making money incl. repeat business for the same reason Titanic did - chicks want to go stare at Cavill the way they went for Leo.[/quote]

Chick speaking:

No amount of Henry Cavill gazing will suffice a hot mess.

I saw Titanic, because I love the history of Titanic; Leo was just a bonus.

by Anonymousreply 10106/27/2013

"The Heat" sizzles but "White House Down" is struggling:

by Anonymousreply 10206/28/2013

R95, there are shots of people falling/jumping out of buildings in the sky like the people in 9/11 jumping to their deaths. Except isn't Superman supposed to CATCH them? They just die. It's dumb, grim chaos-porn from there.

by Anonymousreply 10306/28/2013

R103 Wow, I didn't know that. Talk about sick and twisted!

by Anonymousreply 10406/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 10506/29/2013

Jamie Foxx down

by Anonymousreply 10606/29/2013

They shoulda cast Melissa McCarthy as the president. And Channing's character shoulda been a gay ex-stripper.

by Anonymousreply 10706/29/2013

I like Bullock, but I don't know if I can stand watching lard ass.

by Anonymousreply 10806/29/2013

Saw "The Heat". It's fun but a little slow. It's going to do well at the box office this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 10906/29/2013

Who cares? I mean who fucking cares???

by Anonymousreply 11006/29/2013

It'll be interesting to see how the dust settles with this weekend's box office.

I'm pulling for The Heat, since I'm sick of these over bloated action flicks that pays no mind to physics or even a storyline.

by Anonymousreply 11106/29/2013

Lone Ranger looks bad

by Anonymousreply 11206/29/2013

Personally I think that Leo was very lucky to attach his "coattails" to Titanic. Helped that the basic story was true but that most didn't know the specifics. I wanted to see it again just for the visuals; recreating the ship, the costumes, the fantasy life. Yes the romance added to the movie, but almost any young actor could have played Leo's role. He didn't even look that realistic for a period flick.

by Anonymousreply 11306/29/2013

Just saw World War Z. GO. SEE. THIS. MOVIE.

It was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 11406/29/2013

"White House Down" Tanks as "The Heat," "Monsters U" Lead Box Office:

by Anonymousreply 11506/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.