Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

We have been invited to a cocktail party.

We live in Minneapolis and some queen has invited us to a cocktail party. I get the feeling he doesn't know what he is doing and, if we show up, we could well be the only ones there. How does one politely decline?

by Anonymousreply 1306/23/2013

OP, Mary Richards may have tiny breasts, but she's actually a girl---who just throws lousy parties.

by Anonymousreply 106/22/2013

Be sure to wear your cocktail dress and hat.

by Anonymousreply 206/22/2013

You've either already accepted or you've put the host off so long only a rude person would not attend. Bite the bullet, attend and - since you sound like a nasty queen - then swallow the bullet, which we rather hope is lead.

by Anonymousreply 306/22/2013

I deeply apologize, OP. I completely missed the reference and now suggest you remove the bullet from your mouth. But wouldn't you actually enjoy going to that "party"? Bring a nice manbag, and when the mess starts up with his spritzer bucket and bad wine pull out three tasteful flasks and mix yourself something tasteful.

And when he offers you a crabstick popover, smile and say, "Oh no. No, thank you. No."

by Anonymousreply 406/22/2013

If he tries to serve you rainbow-colored crudités, run for the door.

by Anonymousreply 506/22/2013

Cheer up op, it might be a make your own baked potato party.

by Anonymousreply 606/22/2013

Better decline the invite. You sound like a shitty guest anyway

by Anonymousreply 706/22/2013

R7. I'm guessing reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 806/22/2013

Do him a favor, and don't show up.

by Anonymousreply 906/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 1006/23/2013

I don't get it

by Anonymousreply 1106/23/2013

One of us has to talk to her (it's how we learn). Cocktail party means cocktails. One needs to go online for a shopping list of everything one needs to stock a FULL bar. The first time is expensive,but the advantages are you'll have lots of left-over liquor. You'll also have many supplies that rarely need to be replaced ( bitters,cherries,olives,onions,and bartenders tools,jiggers,shakers,stirrers and strainers etc.).

The hostess-type entertaining books from the 1960's could be very helpful. I love going through books like that,they're camp and educational. Also someone else on the original thread had mentioned Martha Stewart's A-Z of planning a cocktail party. Also essential is an on-hand copy of The Bartenders Guide (no matter who is tending bar!). Which brings me to the next topic. Hire a bartender.

The guy who started the original thread has probably already had his party (shudder),but next time maybe he'll be better prepared. At a gathering like he was describing,namely all gay men,I would strongly suggest hiring a female bartender. This keeps the focus on getting your drink and getting back onto the floor to mingle and converse. As opposed to hanging around the bar flirting with the twink bartender (whose skills as a mixologist could be questionable).

Food is NOT the focal point at this get together either. Neither is getting shit-faced! Classic snacks placed around the room,wasabi peas,smoked almonds,or anything savory and tiny,with one or two (tops!) fabulous tiny passed bites,rumaki,crostini,or shrimp etc.

This is about an elegant,urbane and grown-up get together. Also, two to three hours is PLENTY of time. Two smart cocktails,some Pink Martini playing at a moderate level in the background ( nothing loud and NO TECHNO),and a host who's enjoying her guests ( not running around like a sweaty nut!) , and you'll start to get good at throwing "grown-up parties"! Shwapp! Shwapp! HA!

by Anonymousreply 1206/23/2013

Just go and have a fun time. Decide this in advance and it will! Don't forget the hostess gift, which should be rather expensive. Of course, you'll both have to spring for new outfits, which are stunning and chic. Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 1306/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!