Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why doesn't Mrs. Roper get more love on Datalounge?

You would think she would be the Patron Saint of DL.

Of course she was played by the incomparable Audra Lindley.

by Anonymousreply 6010/05/2014

Too many muu-muus; not enough caftans.

by Anonymousreply 106/22/2013

She had horrid hair, she was married to an asshole, she had no taste in dress, makeup, art, cookery or decorating, and she was chronically and tediously needy.

Does that help, OP?

by Anonymousreply 206/22/2013

So explain the Golden Girls love then r2?

by Anonymousreply 306/22/2013

It was a lousy show that hasn't stood the test of time. The writing was awful.

by Anonymousreply 406/22/2013

The Ropers were depressing, one-joke characters on THREE'S COMPANY (she's homely and horny, he lazy and limp.) ABC kept THE ROPERS on the air just long enough to prevent Fell and Lindley from returning to THREE'S COMPANY which was funnier without them.

by Anonymousreply 506/22/2013

Mr Roper's Tinkerbell gesture terrified me: it clued me in that people thought gay boys and men like me were abnormal and to be mocked.

by Anonymousreply 606/22/2013

Helen Roper was used extensively by the Republican party to legitimize closing down loony bins and kicking crazy people out into the streets.

by Anonymousreply 706/22/2013

Mr Roper was obviously deeply closeted. I'm fairly certain he had classic gay face too.

by Anonymousreply 806/22/2013

Wasn't Norman Fell gay?

Audra Lindley played a wonderful lesbian character in Desert Hearts.

Loved the Ropers. But they didn't work well apart from Jack, Janet and Chrissy. The Ropers spinoff was just not funny.

by Anonymousreply 906/28/2013

What's the story behind Joyce DeWitt not appearing in the episode in which Jack, Chrissy and the visiting Linda (Anne Schedeen) discover Mr Roper can eavesdrop through the bathroom drain pipe?

by Anonymousreply 1006/28/2013

Screw Mrs. Rope - on the show, The Ropers, her daughter-in-law was played by Patty McCormack!

by Anonymousreply 1106/28/2013

My mom had a hideous orange Muu Muu (or is it a caftan?) just like she wore. We called her Mrs. Roper for years.

by Anonymousreply 1206/28/2013

No story, r10. She had to oversee a huge shipment of azaleas that day.

by Anonymousreply 1306/28/2013

ALot of people don't remember how much the early religious right, which was still in its earlier stages of congealing into a movement HATED this show, for being naughty and suggestive. Jerry Falwell used to rail against it.

by Anonymousreply 1406/28/2013

I think Joyce had dental surgery that put her out of commission the week of that show r10. Of course I could very well be mistaken. I think The Star or Enquirer mentioned it at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1506/28/2013

I adored this show growing up and still do. I won't go into all the things that make it great, but it's one of the few that's stood the test of time for me.

by Anonymousreply 1606/28/2013

Cause she isn't a patch on the original.

by Anonymousreply 1706/28/2013

r14 that's true. Three's Company is very mild by today's standards, but believe it or not back in the 70s it was pretty controversial. A lot of people thought it was a filthy raunchfest, if you can imagine. One major complaint was that it had men and women who were not married or related to each other...gasp! together! Lots of pearl-clutching over that back in the day. It's all so silly now.

by Anonymousreply 1806/28/2013

Here's the very entertaining 'behind the scenes' tv movie from about 10 years ago. If you have the time, it's worth it.

by Anonymousreply 1906/28/2013

Love her

She was aunt liz on another world

by Anonymousreply 2006/28/2013

I'm sorry, but who?

by Anonymousreply 2106/28/2013

I preferred Mr. Furley over the Ropers.

by Anonymousreply 2206/28/2013

R17 is right, no-one else has the comedic capability of Yootha Joyce's right eyebrow raised in disbelief and/or disgust at George Roper's behaviour. Yootha was the definitive Mrs. Roper.

by Anonymousreply 2306/28/2013

Audra Lindley would be 95 years old now!

by Anonymousreply 2406/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 2506/28/2013

[quote]on the show, The Ropers, her daughter-in-law was played by Patty McCormack!

Actually, Patty was the wife of their stuck-up next door neighbor played by Jeffrey Tambor.

by Anonymousreply 2606/28/2013

Thanks for the link, R19. It's divided into six clips on Youtube. Just click the uploader's name to get access to the other parts.

by Anonymousreply 2706/28/2013

Webmaster delete this page.

by Anonymousreply 2806/29/2013

Mrs Roper was such a whiny, horny fugly cunt. Stanley...Stanley. I'm surprised that Mr Roper didn't get to the glory holes every night after dealing with that randy caftan wearing ho. The irony was that the actress who played her was better looking in real life and actually sounded quite good vocally. Then again it's acting.

Mrs Roper was out camped by Mr Furley. Don Knotts is probably the campiest straight character in the history of television. He was so purely over the top a lot of us didn't miss The Ropers. He had a lot of fey mannerisms and his chemistry with John Ritter was on point.

by Anonymousreply 2906/29/2013

Can someone open a thread about why every Tig Notaro post gets deleted. Does the webbie hate her? If so ... why?! A poster accused her of lying about cancer.I think it fair I get a chance to challenge that individual.

by Anonymousreply 3007/05/2013

Gay men feel threatened by strong women such as Mrs. Roper and Tig Notaro. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 3107/05/2013

Why did they get rid of Anne Wedgeworth after one season? I loved me some Lana.

by Anonymousreply 3207/06/2013

Any stories on Jeffrey Tambor? He was quite a hot guy when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 3307/06/2013

Ann Wedgeworth as Lana was let go because the producers thought it was unrealistic that she was hot for Jack but Jack wouldn't fuck her. It was established that Jack was a horndog and his not screwing Lana didn't make sense.

Joyce Dewitt appeared to be coked out on some episodes.

by Anonymousreply 3407/06/2013

[quote]Joyce Dewitt appeared to be coked out on some episodes.

My mother used to always say she was too "jumpy". Now that I think of it, she really was jumpy, particularly during the latter Suzanne Sommers episodes.

by Anonymousreply 3507/06/2013

He didn't screw Lana because she was old. I guess that was a rather crass thing for the show to portray.

by Anonymousreply 3607/06/2013

The show was absolute shit, one of the all-time worst sitcoms. Fuck Mrs. Roper.

by Anonymousreply 3707/06/2013

r35, that's what I thought too. Dewitt was so manic and hyper in some episodes, I just wondered if maybe she was doing coke. It's my understanding that back in the late 70s/early 80s, backstage cocaine use was very common during filming of tv shows and movies. Lots of actors from that time period looked and acted completely hopped-up in certain scenes from various tv shows and movies.

Alcohol, too. Several of the original 'Dallas' cast members have gone on record saying they drank booze during the filming of the show.

by Anonymousreply 3807/06/2013

Lana was also Lahoma Vane.

by Anonymousreply 3907/06/2013

I used to do a pretty good Anne Wedgeworth impersonation.

by Anonymousreply 4007/06/2013

Ann Wedgeworth didn't even last a full season. She claims she asked to be let out of her contract after she realized they were writing less and less for her character. In the behind-the-scenes book about the show she spoke glowingly about John Ritter and Don Knotts but refused to say anything at all about Joyce DeWitt or Suzanne Somers. From her other comments, I think she believes DeWitt and Somers felt threatened by her character and went to the producers to have Lana's character minimized.

I liked her on the show but have to wonder what they would have done with her character over time.

by Anonymousreply 4107/06/2013

Were there two versions of the credit sequences for "the Ropers"? I thought Audra Lindley was top billed but in this version it's Fell. I also remember a version of the credits where Fell glares at the camera & then suddenly starts dancing.

by Anonymousreply 4207/06/2013

There were two versions--one with Fell top billed, one with Audra. Such is deal making in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 4307/06/2013

I love "Mrs. Roper" I even wrote a bit about her in my Master's thesis. She was a delight! I wish "The Ropers" was available on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 4407/08/2013

I'm starring in "Hatfields and McCoys: Bad Blood" with Perry King and Christian Slater, y'all!

by Anonymousreply 4507/08/2013

I liked the scenes where Mrs. Roper would interact with Chrissy.

by Anonymousreply 4607/08/2013

Me too R46 I was a litte kid when "Three's Company" was on but I saw it during the summers (when I didn't have o get up for school). "Mr. Roper" is a pretty awful bigot when you look at him from 2013, but "Mrs. Roper" was sweet and wise. Audra Lindley sure was a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 4707/08/2013

r44, I would love to know how you fitted Mrs Roper into your Masters Thesis!

by Anonymousreply 4807/11/2013

The season that Don Knotts joined the cast, John Ritter was fucking sex on a stick: brownish blonde flyaway hair, tanned skin, hairy chest, Santa Monica beach boy look ... he was in the best shape he ever was in. And they were constantly putting him in situations that year where he was mostly without clothes.

by Anonymousreply 4907/11/2013

r38, Mork & Mindy was another coke-infused show. Watching it now, you actually see how tragic the whole thing actually was.

General Hospital was also coke central. Everyone was higher than a kite backstage and onscreen during the show's international heyday.

by Anonymousreply 5007/11/2013

r50, I saw an old Mork and Mindy not too long ago on some cable channel and Robin Williams was practically FLYING! The original cast of SNL - it goes without saying.

It's pretty obvious for someone in 2013 watching shows/movies from back then how certain actors were high during their scenes. I guess back in the day the public wasn't as savvy about that kind of thing and it kind of went over their heads, but contemporary audiences tend to know what being coked-out looks like and you can spot it immediately. A LOT of tv shows and movies from the 70s/80s had actors who were clearly using while filming.

by Anonymousreply 5107/11/2013

I'm surprised by the animosity.

Mrs. Roper seemed like the type who would be cool with the LGBT community.

She was always amused by what a dumbass her husband, Mr. Roper, was in his thinking that Jack was gay. Mrs. Roper had it figured from the get-go that it was Jack's friend Larry who was homosexual.

All that overcompensating.

One day, when Mr. Roper wasn't around, Mrs. Roper [italic]tested[/italic] Larry and got all the proof she needed.

After Jack married Vicky, Mrs. Roper became Larry's best friend.

by Anonymousreply 5209/14/2013

She was honored at Southern Decadence this year.

by Anonymousreply 5309/14/2013

Did Audra Lindley have any affair with John Ritter? At the end of a special family feud episode they kissed too passionately (it certainly didnt look as a working colleagues' kiss. The video is available in YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 5410/04/2014

The Ropers is the biggest turd ever unleashed upon the tv watching audience. They should've put Mr Furley on there, rounded out the pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 5510/04/2014

The Ropers was great. And the little girl form the Bad Seed, all grown up, was awful. How was she ever considered Oscar material?

As for Ann Wedgeworth, her character was completely one note. Think of Warren on TAGS.

But Lindley was much better on It's A Living

by Anonymousreply 5610/04/2014

Three's Company was a great sitcom. I still watch them today.

by Anonymousreply 5710/04/2014

Audra Lindley didn't play a lesbian in Desert Hearts -- she played the owner of the ranch where the daughter of her son's father hooked up with the English professor.

by Anonymousreply 5810/04/2014

R49 totally agree. I also loved how he looked when he bought the bistro and was wearing suits and looked a little more mature. Talented actor too and by all accounts one of the nicest guys to work with (I also met him once). I still miss him.

R51 i also noticed that with Cindy Williams on Laverne and Shirley maybe a couple of seasons in - when her hair was cut into a pixie and she was at her skinniest - and super hyper and manic. And based on the tales of her off screen behavior, it all makes sense. Now, like so many stars of that era, she's a fat, has-been fundie.

A family friend of mine - after doing a bunch of soaps in NYC when she was a teen - moved out to LA in '77 I think (maybe '78) and guested on a gazillion hit shows of the time (not Three's Company, though). And by guested I mean the first billed guest. Was very pretty and you would have thought all that would have just been a launching pad for her to go on to greater things, but for whatever reason it didn't happen. She did a pilot and a series that ran 4 episodes and after that her career kind of stalled.

Anyway, for a couple of years she lived on the same block as DeWitt and she said her coke habit "made mine look like nothing." So, take that as you will.

Whatever, I love Three's Company and I'm so glad Ritter got an Emmy for it - that was a pretty inspired thing to do at the time. It's also one of the few shows of its time going strong in reruns and it has also been one of the best selling DVDs, so I would hardly say it hasn't stood the test of time. On the contrary, I think it has stood the test of time far better then anyone ever had the right to expect.

Dave Powers, who directed most TC episodes and was just coming off the Carol Burnett Show, had said his favorite directing experience was TC. So again take that as you will, but I think that's saying something.

I always preferred the middle and later episodes (the Furley/Chrissy/Cindy and the Terri eps). They were more classically slapstick and more Ritter focused (and let's face it he WAS the show). I also loved Larry.

by Anonymousreply 5910/05/2014

R54 I doubt it but on that super awkward "reunion" Suzanne and Joyce did, they laughed at how much of a horndog Ritter was and more then hinted at dalliances he had with a number of the guest stars. Which was a bit of a slip on their part considering he was a) married and b) is dead and not around to defend himself.

Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 6010/05/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!