Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Horrifying Sitcom Theme Songs (80's And 90's)

I want to experience the madness. Please deposit the dregs of a nation here.

by Anonymousreply 178July 15, 2018 3:06 PM

Love, Sidney

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2013 10:40 PM

Down To Earth, starring DL fave Kyle Richards

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2013 10:43 PM

Wow, R2's sitcom is execrable! That premise alone...

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2013 10:48 PM

Joanie Loves Chachi seemed awful at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2013 11:04 PM

God damn, Scott Baio was a hot twink.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2013 11:07 PM

Lucifer's most fragrant burp was "Small Wonder".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2013 11:11 PM

This one is controversial: some of us revere it, others think it was the nadir of TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2013 11:12 PM

Small Wonder. Fucking hell.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2013 11:18 PM

OMG I love the IT's a LIVING song!!

This one sucks dirty ass, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2013 11:19 PM

Down To Earth and Small Wonder look like Second City skits!

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2013 11:19 PM

Oh, and this one too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2013 11:33 PM

I remember Throb. I had a kid crush on Jonathan Prince. I was 10 at the time and we were both the same height.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2013 11:38 PM

Damn! I started to play the intro to "Small Wonder" and my mothers care giver got all excited, "Are you watching the show about the girl robot!!!" I had never heard of the the thing. He acted as if it was the greatest thing on TV. He is 27.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2013 1:14 AM

I remember "Love, Sidney"(both the show and the TV movie that inspired it) but not that theme song. I guess it was so "horrifying" that my memory blocked it out. Truly, truly execrable.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2013 1:38 AM

Gloria. Ugh. It still gets stuck in my head all these years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2013 1:41 AM

That is awful, r15. If they'd have shelled out for the rights to "Gloria" by Van Morrison/The Doors, "Gloria" by U2, or "Gloria" by Laura Branigan maybe the show would have been a hit.

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2013 3:00 AM

It's technically late 70s but I think Hello Larry fits the theme.

As annoying as the Diff'rent Strokes theme, but far worse (and far harder to get out of your head.

And McLean S left MASH for THIS?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2013 3:08 AM

The reviews for Down To Earth on imdb all say "I'm the only one who remembers it." It's true, the show aired 110 episodes and I have no memory of it at all. It was co-created by Sam Harris from Star Search, who you may remember is gay. It stars the gay Darrin from Bewitched, and for the last 3 years featured Rip Taylor in a supporting role, glitter and all.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2013 3:28 AM

This is weird because the song itself is actually quite good (and was a hit) but the show was disastrously bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2013 6:06 AM

I agree the worst ever was "Love Sidney" because it was from during the very brief period when sitcoms for some insane reason would have their stars sing the theme song.

The other most horrific instance of this bizarre phenomenon was the original version of the "Facts of life" theme song. Guess who sang the solo part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2013 6:09 AM

In the "Love Sidney" clip, I'm fascinated by how horrible Swoosie Kurtz's voice is. She sounds like the really weird lady in every church choir whose voice is embarrassingly louder than anyone else's (and has far more vibrato than is humanly possible).

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2013 6:12 AM

R21, my sister and I always called the loud, wobbly soprano in our church's choir "The Chicken Lady." She often performed solos that would leave us squirming to stifle our laughter.

"We Got It Made" has an insistent disco theme song. Quite cynical of NBC to open a sit-com with a shot of a woman's breasts, panning up to show her face only after we all got a good look at her tits. Tom Villard was adorable. He was one of the first celebrities with AIDS to speak publicly about his plight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2013 6:43 AM

This sitcom intro could have only been saved if Evigan and Reiser made out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2013 6:52 AM

[quote]It was co-created by Sam Harris from Star Search, who you may remember is gay.

That's kind of like saying "you may remember that Mars is a planet in our solar system."

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2013 9:30 AM

That Trob song is awfulllll.

Jonathan Prince looks like the roadshow version of Michael J. Fox.

And Jane Leeves (from Frasier) is almost unrecognizable.

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2013 10:58 AM

r24, I was just trying to highlight that gay Sam seems to have deliberately created a very campy show, and may have been responsible for getting Dick Sargent and Rip Taylor cast. I'm actually shocked that I don't remember this show.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2013 12:22 PM

My Two Dads just short circuits my brain in 2013. I remember back when it aired and even then I thought those two dudes were gay. It was way more homo "suggestive" to me than even Full House (housefull of single men raising kids). The whole premise is homoPHOBIC now, though. "See how hilarious that two hetero men could play house and raise a daughter together? People might think we were gay!! HIJINKS ensue!"

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2013 1:57 PM

Out of this World!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2013 2:09 PM

'My Two Dads' should have been titled 'My Mom Was A Fucking Whore, and Now She's Dead.'

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2013 2:39 PM

R29, I think they tried that with test audiences and it didn't go over as well. And with what eventually happened to both Evigan and Reiser's careers, it should have been called "My Two Duds."

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2013 3:04 PM

"The whole premise is homoPHOBIC now, though."

Agreed, R27. Sadly, Reiser and Evigan have more chemistry together than Rannells and Bartha or Stonestreet and Ferguson... It makes 'The New Normal' and 'Modern Family' that much more depressing.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2013 4:10 PM

R19 reminds me of the really bad disco version of the Guiding Light theme. Everyone tried to "disco" up their themes in that era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2013 4:28 PM

Technically 1979-1980, and horrifying for reasons unrelated to the quality of the song itself, but no discussion of theme songs is complete without it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2013 4:35 PM

^ One of the YouTube comments on the Angie theme:

"In the 1970's most people had serious food handling issues, except for Robert Hayes [sic] who could juggle with it."

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2013 4:42 PM

We Got It Made.

Ugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2013 4:57 PM

r33, that link just proves that in the 70s and 80s, all TV opening credits featured food mishaps.

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2013 4:59 PM

Shangri-La Plaza lasted ONE episode in 1990 and the theme explains why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2013 5:30 PM

I loved "Down To Earth" when I was a kid. It aired on TBS and back then everything started 5 minutes later than on network TV. 7:05am, 11:35pm, etc...

I had a kid crush on David Kauffman as the older brother and I didn't like Kyle...even then. She looked weird. Adored Kim, though. She did Devil Dog: Hound of Hell.

Anyways, Ole Rip would run around throwing glitter, he was Ethel the angel's guardian or case worker or something. She had another one, too... played by Ronnie Schnell.

I wish they'd put it out on DVD. It was no Bewitched or Jeannie, but was still fun.

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2013 5:36 PM

Don't forget these bitches! Pink Lady and Jeff lasted 5 weeks back in 1980. The scary thing is how clearly I remember watching the show and crowing about how awful it was with my cousins.

I couldn't find the promo, but this is a link to one of their great performances, which I'm pretty sure must have inspired Jan Hooks and Nora Dunn from SNL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2013 5:46 PM

That "Small Wonder" clip reminded me of the mother's fashions for that show. Were those like one-piece full-body pantsuits she would wear with a belt in the middle? And how did she get in and out of them?

Also, if your goal is to make your robot daughter inconspicuous and just have her seem like any normal kid, then why would you dress her in a 19th-century pinafore?

by Anonymousreply 40June 22, 2013 8:44 PM

Mama Malone.

"Wide as an acre"?! I hope Lila Kaye told the composer to fuck right off!

Edit: Wtf! According to one of the comments, this theme was written by Kander and Ebb!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 22, 2013 11:14 PM

The 80s were #1 when it came to bad theme songs.

by Anonymousreply 42June 22, 2013 11:20 PM

The Crystal Gayle/Paul Williams theme song for "It Takes Two" would have been a good song for AM Gold radio, but it strikes me as too earnest for show that is supposed to be a comedy.

But I did like the series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 22, 2013 11:51 PM

R37's sitcom intro is almost genius - it's so awful that it becomes arrestingly surreal. Someone on that show really loved "Pee-Wee's Playhouse", huh?

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2013 12:02 AM

R38, I could have written your post! I had a huge crush on Kaufman. I moved to Los Angeles in 2000 and saw him in a Souplantation with his family not long after I got there. He had the tired, disheveled look of a new parent. Kind of killed the crush.

I think "Down To Earth" aired mostly in the early mornings which may be why few people remember it. I remember it being on as we got ready for school if we weren't watching Bozo on WGN.

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2013 12:05 AM

R-37 wins, hands down! That shit was terrifying OMG.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2013 12:18 AM

I know I am being pedantic, but Shangri-la Plaza didn't even last one episode. It was an unsold pilot that aired once as part of a Saturday night program.

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2013 1:01 AM

And the show itself was written by Terrence McNally, r41.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2013 1:07 AM

Charles in Charge. Try to hold back the vomit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2013 1:52 AM

Charles in Charles was awful.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2013 3:26 AM

r13, it sounds like it's pretty clear you can grope and molest this caregiver all you want if you so choose.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2013 3:41 AM

My God, Erin Moran looked liked Scott Baio's mother! A particularly reptilian mother.

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2013 3:50 AM

Wonder what the last time a TV theme was a radio hit - I am guessing Friends. Kind of sad how the TV theme songs, some of which really became part of pop culture are for the most part a thing of the past (although listening to some of these, maybe not completely a bad thing).

The late seventies and 80's really liked to have precocious children that would not be found anywhere in the real world. Ellen Travolta also seemed to be in a lot of these credits.

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2013 3:55 AM

What about pre-rhinoplasty Lisa Hartman as Tabitha?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2013 4:00 AM

Jennifer Slept Here! Ann Jillian fans will love this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2013 4:01 AM

OMG, that Makin' It intro was so long! It's like a music video.

Great song though.

by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2013 4:05 AM

Poor Melba Moore. Her show MELBA only aired once-the same day as the Challenger Shuttle disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 23, 2013 4:05 AM

I've always loved this theme - so bittersweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 23, 2013 4:11 AM

HATED this opening when I was a kid ... my sister and I still make fun of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 23, 2013 4:12 AM

r59, they didn't even give the dude playing the angel screen credit! LOL

by Anonymousreply 60June 23, 2013 4:22 AM

I bet not many of you remember this campy little nightmare...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 23, 2013 4:29 AM

Sugar Time, starring Barbi Benton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 23, 2013 4:30 AM

What year did that come out, R61?

by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2013 4:38 AM

This one doesn't really have a theme, but it's got Bette Davis in The Decorator (Unaired).

by Anonymousreply 64June 23, 2013 4:41 AM

Sorry, the link.

"Don't be absurd! Everybody needs a decoratah!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 23, 2013 4:42 AM

Hands down the worst theme ever for a sitcom is from an offering by the BBC entitled "Take a Letter Mr Jones", starring John Inman. The only clip I could find of the theme in this compilation of forgotten 80s British sitcoms. It's at mark 1:07.

Truly bizarre, truly confusing, and truly horrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 23, 2013 4:55 AM

Guys, this thread is about the 80's and 90's. Please start a separate thread for 70's shit.

by Anonymousreply 67June 23, 2013 4:58 AM

r60, Yes they do - it credits Jimmy Brogan and Dixie Carter together in the same shot.

by Anonymousreply 68June 23, 2013 5:12 AM

We Got It Made

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 23, 2013 8:10 AM

This has always stuck in my head-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 23, 2013 9:01 AM

Why am I seeing the completely forgotten Ellen Travolta in several of those openings?

I'm grimly fascinated by Joanie Loves Chachi. Surely that was not played before every episode?

by Anonymousreply 71June 23, 2013 11:07 AM

"The Five Fanelli Boys" featured DL fave Chris Meloni and a hideous Billy Joel theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 23, 2013 2:17 PM

Linda Lavin owns this thread

by Anonymousreply 73June 23, 2013 2:32 PM

[quote]I'm grimly fascinated by Joanie Loves Chachi. Surely that was not played before every episode?

I confess I loved this song when I was a kid. Granted, Erin Moran and Scott Baio can barely hold a note between them. But the song itself sounds like something Barry Manilow or Olivia Newton-John might have recorded at the time. They might have had a hit with it.

by Anonymousreply 74June 23, 2013 2:45 PM

Air Supply! That's what the "Joanie Loves Chachi" theme sounds like. Those Aussies would have ridden that to the top of the Adult Contemporary charts in no time!

by Anonymousreply 75June 23, 2013 2:50 PM

Love Madeline.

The theme? Not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 23, 2013 2:55 PM

It's Your Move with Jason Bateman and DL fave Tricia Cast. The show was actually kind of funny but was cancelled after one season.

The opening is truly ridiculous though and so very 80's...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77June 23, 2013 3:06 PM

Speaking of Jason Bateman....the Valerie theme:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 23, 2013 3:28 PM

FAMILY MATTERS......another shiteous theme:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 23, 2013 3:29 PM

And king of the shitty 80/90's themes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 23, 2013 3:31 PM

Nell Carter, Charlotte Rae and Bea Arthur singing about sitcoms for NBC's 60th anniversary in 1986.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 23, 2013 3:44 PM

Lots of shitty themes here .....and now a break for my favorite sitcom theme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 23, 2013 4:10 PM

NBC's "Dear John" starring Judd Hirsch. On one hand it gave the world Jere Burns, but then it also gave it this weedy theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 23, 2013 4:20 PM

WEHT to Andrew Lauer, R82? He was also in "Caroline in the City" - sexy little midget, with a tight ass.

by Anonymousreply 84June 23, 2013 5:57 PM

I actually love the last "Valerie" intro, with Sandy Duncan and everyone all grown up.

My God, "Step by Step" was horrible. Even as a little boy, I knew that was crap.

by Anonymousreply 85June 23, 2013 6:06 PM

[quote]"We Got It Made" has an insistent disco theme song. Quite cynical of NBC to open a sit-com with a shot of a woman's breasts, panning up to show her face only after we all got a good look at her tits. Tom Villard was adorable. He was one of the first celebrities with AIDS to speak publicly about his plight.

I was just looking around for that theme song. Tom and I dated in the early 80s. He was like a cute Jerry Lewis type. I think he was the Dr. Pepper guy in some regional commercials and definitely on his way up. He was a sweet guy. Too kinky for me though.

by Anonymousreply 86June 23, 2013 6:25 PM

This one is pretty funny...Flo's Yellow Rose

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 23, 2013 6:32 PM

R81 I didn't think I'd ever see Bea Arthur singing a song from "Dreamgirls."

by Anonymousreply 88June 23, 2013 6:40 PM

Are you male or female, r86. I always thought Villard was gay. GG fans will recognize him as one of the three young men that was shipwrecked with the ladies on an island during a vacation-from-hell, and in another episode where he played Dorothy's former student who gave her a cushy job at his new video games company.

And yeah, he just has a major kinky vibe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 23, 2013 6:54 PM

r83, be sure to look at the clip at r66 - you'll see at the very beginning of it the British version of Dear John's opening credits starring Ralph Bates.

by Anonymousreply 90June 23, 2013 6:56 PM

God, r81, those days of television are so gone and done with. We will never see anything like that again.

by Anonymousreply 91June 23, 2013 6:59 PM

r89 here - forgive my complete ignorance. I had no idea Villard was an out actor and that he passed away.

by Anonymousreply 92June 23, 2013 7:02 PM

I just choked up a little at your photo R89. I've never seen that one before, and it's a very good one. Yeah, I'm a guy. I understand Tom was in a relationship when he passed away so I was glad to hear he had someone there for him. I saw him on Entertainment Tonight unexpectedly where he talked about his story. I remember that night, walking out the front door and just pacing around the block. He did an Advocate interview that kind of turned me off. It didn't sound like him. But he was an actor. Anyone who knew him loved him. He lived in Silver Lake when I knew him and he had those little pink and yellow marshmallow chicks nailed to his wall. He got me out of disco music and into New Wave by playing The Talking Heads. Slowly, he let me know that I was only one in a few other people he was seeing. He described some of the things they did together, in the shower. I balked. I still remember the night he came up to my apartment. We weren't really supposed to, but we said goodbye. He had a good heart, and kind of an experimental mind. He would have had a long career. He did it effortlessly. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 93June 23, 2013 7:04 PM

I must not have been fully in touch with my budding homosexuality yet in 1982 because I wasn't watching Star Of The Family.

As a grown gay, seeing the intro featuring Michael Dudikoff jumping rope in his short shorts and low plunging tank top would have made me a loyal viewer.

The theme song could be kind of catchy, but the addition of the steel guitar to make it a country song is annoying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 23, 2013 7:32 PM

No kidding, R94. (Or should I say 'Snicks'?) It looks like that Dudikoff guy was advertising his wares.

by Anonymousreply 95June 23, 2013 7:34 PM

[quote]that Dudikoff guy

That Dudikoff guy is none other than '80s action hero Michael Dudikoff. He was also in the movie Bachelor Party, and was Joni's brief love interest on Happy Days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 23, 2013 7:40 PM

Had never heard of the sitcom "Rocky Road" but it features horrific '80's fashions and a cute guy in short shorts. Credits begin at 5.20

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 23, 2013 7:48 PM

None of those things ring a bell, R96. I know, I know - Google is my friend.

by Anonymousreply 98June 23, 2013 7:51 PM

You've never heard of HAPPY DAYS?????

by Anonymousreply 99June 23, 2013 7:54 PM

R9, if I knew where you lived, I'd cut you. I love that theme.

R18, I'm with you. I'm a child of the 80s and have zero memory of R2's link.

by Anonymousreply 100June 23, 2013 7:55 PM

Is this "Happy Days" culturally important, R99? Be honest now.

by Anonymousreply 101June 23, 2013 7:56 PM

[quote]he played Dorothy's former student who gave her a cushy job at his new video games company.

Joemama!

by Anonymousreply 102June 23, 2013 7:59 PM

Happy Days sounds like a children's show. Was it a precursor to Sesame Street?

Anyways, back to those terrible sitcom themes!

by Anonymousreply 103June 23, 2013 8:00 PM

Oh, I get it, R101, you're a troll. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 104June 23, 2013 8:02 PM

r94 - I was actually looking for that last night and couldn't find anything!! I distinctly remember being a kid and watching an episode of Star of the Family where surfer-dude Dudikoff was running around in little shorts and in his barefeet. Made me gay right then and there.

You can see a preview of SOTF at 7:21 in this clip:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 23, 2013 8:05 PM

"LOL!"

Are you literate?

by Anonymousreply 106June 23, 2013 8:05 PM

Good Morning Miss Bliss

The predecessor to Saved By The Bell had an awful opening theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 23, 2013 8:06 PM

The original Gimme a Break theme was horrible

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 23, 2013 8:07 PM

Oh dear God - NOOOO!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 23, 2013 8:07 PM

The Richard Page/Jay Graydon-produced theme from season 3 on was much better

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 23, 2013 8:07 PM

"And yeah, he just has a major kinky vibe."

You can say that again - he insisted on fucking me in the ass in our shared bathroom at the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 111June 23, 2013 8:08 PM

Most were horrible, but because it harkens us back to a "simpler, happier time," we love them.

by Anonymousreply 112June 23, 2013 8:09 PM

Poor Lark Voorhies. I wonder if she had her first psychotic break hearing that theme song in R107.

by Anonymousreply 113June 23, 2013 8:12 PM

Um Helloooooo?

"It's a Living" is one of the BEST sitcom theme songs everrrrrrrrrrr! It's a show stopping broadway number!

Now,

"Angie"? ugh.

by Anonymousreply 114June 23, 2013 9:17 PM

Madame's Place! Who knew Corey Feldman was on that show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 23, 2013 9:24 PM

R108 That Gimme a Break theme is a NATIONAL TREASURE!

As is Nell Carter shaking her fat all over the place!

by Anonymousreply 116June 23, 2013 9:45 PM

California Dreams

They should have had an awesome theme song since they were a band, but it's terrible.

Michael Cade was hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 23, 2013 10:06 PM

The theme for "The New Monkees" was everything wrong with the 80s. Loud pastels,hyperactive visuals, screeching guitars. Luckily it has very little lyrics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118June 23, 2013 10:17 PM

Does anyone remember THE CHARMINGS? I was a kid when this was on and I used to like it. It looks horrific now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 23, 2013 10:32 PM

R97, I totally remember ROCKY ROAD. It was on TBS along with DOWN TO EARTH and another one called SAFE AT HOME. Loved all three!!!

by Anonymousreply 120June 23, 2013 10:33 PM

God Chris Rich was hot! I missed him on Another World so my first experience of him was on the Charmings

by Anonymousreply 121June 23, 2013 10:39 PM

R119, I loved The Charmings. But I didn't have discriminating taste as a kid.

R120, I thought I was the only one who remembered those shows. There was also one called "Check It Out" that starred Don Addams. I think it came on TBS around that same era.

by Anonymousreply 122June 23, 2013 10:39 PM

"The Charmings" looks cringeworthy. Why would they continue to dress that way in L.A.? Presumably they discovered that they were in a different society. Did the writers ever answer that?

by Anonymousreply 123June 23, 2013 10:46 PM

Nurses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 23, 2013 10:56 PM

Fuck... a lot of the same actors are in these clips

by Anonymousreply 125June 23, 2013 10:58 PM

God damn, what's up with all the sax solos in the 80s? I remember (barely) this show "Double Trouble" with the Sagal twins and Barbara Barrie. There's some nice man legs in this clip including some sausage fighting to escape from the blonde guy's short shorts at 5:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126June 24, 2013 12:17 AM

I had the hugest crush on Markus Flanagan from the second season of Nurses. It was the hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 24, 2013 12:52 AM

Have we posted the theme for "I'm a Big Girl Now"? I kinda like this one, actually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 24, 2013 1:37 AM

Damn. WEHT Diana Canova? Another actor who just walked away.

by Anonymousreply 129June 24, 2013 1:40 AM

Diana Canova had a small small role in "One True Thing" as woman holding baby.

by Anonymousreply 130June 24, 2013 1:52 AM

The 1980s were full of actors who were everywhere during the decade and then just seemed to fall off the face of the earth in the 1990s. Remember the Landers sisters? They were guest stars on every tv show in the 80s and as soon as the decade was over they were just gone. Same with DL fave Ann Jillian, who was the subject of a recent massive thread here.

by Anonymousreply 131June 24, 2013 1:53 AM

R79 The first season of Family Matters, its theme song was Louie Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World". For some reason they changed it.

by Anonymousreply 132June 24, 2013 1:55 AM

I'm sure the rights to Armstrong's classic were far more expensive than that swill they replaced it with.

by Anonymousreply 133June 24, 2013 1:57 AM

Amazing how many of these actors I never heard of again or before for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 134June 24, 2013 2:05 AM

Filthy Rich. Hated the song but loved the short glimpse of Charles Frank in a hottub. I'm surprised he didn't have a bigger career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135June 24, 2013 2:12 AM

The New Monkees theme posted earlier reminded me of all the other needless reboots they did in the 80s. There was The New Leave It To Beaver, The New Gidget and especially dreadful was this - The New Munsters D:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 24, 2013 2:51 AM

Not to derail the thread but how about a great one, and one that could never be done today, "Open All Night", which completely tells the story of the show. Notable for the late Sam Whipple who gave one of the greatest sitcom performances ever as the space cadet son, Terry. It's believed Sean Penn was heavily influenced by Whipple's performance when he created Spicolli. Fuck that shit, Penn totally ripped the character off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 24, 2013 3:00 AM

R135 wasn't there a longer version of the Filthy Rich credits? I remember more of a narrative.

by Anonymousreply 138June 24, 2013 3:08 AM

Not a bad song, it that awkward hug and smile at the end. You know they hated each other .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 24, 2013 4:02 AM

The New Gidget:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140June 24, 2013 4:57 AM

I'm surprised that some think the Filthy Rich theme is horrifying. I thought most considered it a hokey classic - not quite at It's A Living level, but up there. I like it.

by Anonymousreply 141June 24, 2013 6:35 AM

Chachi in Korean means penis.

by Anonymousreply 142June 24, 2013 7:50 AM

Everything Ellen Travolta touched turned to shit.

by Anonymousreply 143June 24, 2013 8:53 AM

[quote] Everything Ellen Travolta touched turned to shit.

Everything her brother touched was a big fat cock!

by Anonymousreply 144June 24, 2013 4:16 PM

I didn't know that show Makin' It, but since seeing the post at r19, that song has been stuck in my head.

by Anonymousreply 145June 24, 2013 7:53 PM

Herman's Head had one of the worst premises ever, but I watched it regularly. Herman was a hottie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146June 24, 2013 8:31 PM

I F'LOVED Herman's Head! I used to think Hank Azaria was so hot on that show. William "Herman" Ragsdale was in the abominable "Mannequin 2", but he is probably best known for his role as Charley in "Fright Night".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147June 25, 2013 12:40 AM

Ragsdale had a lengthy featured role on "Justified" as Raylan's ex-wife's new husband.

by Anonymousreply 148June 25, 2013 1:11 AM

R77 That also starred a pre-"Married w/Children" David Garrison. WHET him? Did he ever come out?

by Anonymousreply 149June 25, 2013 1:16 AM

Holy shit R128. I can't tell you how long I've been looking for that theme song! I could always remember the last line, but not the entire song.

by Anonymousreply 150June 25, 2013 3:50 AM

The world would be a better, safer place if all of these wonderful works were still on television.

by Anonymousreply 151June 25, 2013 3:57 AM

R15 and R16, you can go to hell! That "Gloria" theme song is the best ear worm going!

I've posted before that the show was causally a minor hit, ranking in the top twenty for the season. But for some reason it wasn't renewed. Based on the number of average weekly viewers, it would actually be in the top 3-4 shows in today's ratings.

by Anonymousreply 152June 25, 2013 4:24 AM

What about "Aloha Paradise" with Debbie Reynolds?

by Anonymousreply 153June 27, 2013 1:00 AM

[quote]That also starred a pre-"Married w/Children" David Garrison. WHET him? Did he ever come out?

Whoa! It seems the internet has been scrubbed of any mention of his personal life. His Wiki page even has a disclaimer that any information must be carefully sourced or it will be removed as potentially libelous.

by Anonymousreply 154June 27, 2013 2:02 AM

The theme song to "Perfect Strangers".

"Standing tall on the wings of my dreams..." WTF??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 27, 2013 2:08 AM

R152 - I remember reading Gloria got cancelled more due to the ratings of Archie Bunker's Place. Archie's ratings were at cancellation, and for some reason they felt it would be disrespectful to O'Connor to cancel his show and leave Gloria on the air.

by Anonymousreply 156June 27, 2013 2:47 AM

[quote] I didn't know that show Makin' It, but since seeing the post at [R19], that song has been stuck in my head.

If you like the song, you'll love David Naughton's performance of it on the Merv Griffin show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157June 27, 2013 2:57 AM

My God, Naughton looks like he would be a fun little fuck. Game for anything. Any stories on him?

by Anonymousreply 158June 27, 2013 3:03 AM

David Naughton would've gotten fucked by me, HARD, back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 159June 27, 2013 3:05 AM

This is a better performance, choreographed dance interlude and all:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160June 27, 2013 3:07 AM

I had no idea that Diana Canova thought she was a singer first and foremost:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161June 27, 2013 3:08 AM

Gosh, I remember that song on the radio. I IMDB'd him and was surprised to see him looking good and working pretty steadily all these years.

by Anonymousreply 162June 27, 2013 3:12 AM

I had no idea he was James Naughton's little brother! Now that's an incestuous little sandwich I would love to nibble on for bed lunch.

by Anonymousreply 163June 27, 2013 3:20 AM

I don't know ANY of these songs or tv shows. I never really watched tv much when I had a tv, and haven't had one since 1982. I'm not convinced that the majority of these aren't spoofs! They are really bad!

by Anonymousreply 164June 27, 2013 3:20 AM

Dr Pepper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165June 27, 2013 3:21 AM

[quote]I had no idea he was James Naughton's little brother!

That's OLD news.

by Anonymousreply 166June 27, 2013 3:30 AM

David was a hot, thick little number!

by Anonymousreply 167June 27, 2013 3:30 AM

The one theme song I actually fled from when it came on was "Three's Company." To me, it was like musical kryptonite.

by Anonymousreply 168June 27, 2013 3:43 AM

OMG that Naughton shit is painfully bad

by Anonymousreply 169June 27, 2013 3:49 AM

Way OT, but I can't start threads, and I wanted to share what I found while looking for some clips:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170June 27, 2013 4:17 AM

I actually kind of love the theme song to "Perfect Strangers". I also thought Bronson Pinchot was attractive up until a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 171June 27, 2013 8:28 AM

Done R170 ......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172June 27, 2013 9:11 AM

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 173March 11, 2015 3:24 PM

this sums up every sitcom themes ever. worth to watch the whole video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 11, 2015 3:33 PM

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 175March 11, 2015 3:34 PM

[quote] Michael Dudikoff jumping rope in his short shorts and low plunging tank top would have made me a loyal viewer.

those were standard sized shorts back then. And he was almost 30 there.

by Anonymousreply 176July 13, 2018 11:53 AM

R50 CHARLES IN CHARGE is even more horrifying on a meta level in light of recent allegations...

by Anonymousreply 177July 15, 2018 2:17 PM

The Family Matters theme would have been fine for a white suburban family. But, for this show, wildly inappropriate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178July 15, 2018 3:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!