Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Paula Deen fired

Seems like an overreaction to me.

by Anonymousreply 35907/27/2013

SAVANNAH, Ga. -- The Food Network said Friday it's dumping Paula Deen, barely an hour after the celebrity cook posted a videotaped apology online begging forgiveness from fans and critics troubled by her admission to having used racial slurs in the past.

The 66-year-old Savannah kitchen celebrity has been swamped in controversy since court documents filed this week revealed Deen told an attorney questioning her under oath last month that she has used the N-word. "Yes, of course," Deen said, though she added, "It's been a very long time."

The Food Network, which made Deen a star with "Paula's Home Cooking" in 2002 and later "Paula's Home Cooking" in 2008, weighed in with a terse statement Friday afternoon.

"Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month," the statement said. Network representatives declined further comment.

The news came as Deen worked to repair the damage to her image. She abruptly canceled a scheduled interview on NBC's "Today" show Friday morning. Instead Deen opted for a direct appeal via online video – one that allowed her and her staff complete control of what she said and how she said it.

"Inappropriate, hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable," Deen said in the 45-second video posted on YouTube. "I've made plenty of mistakes along the way but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners - I beg for your forgiveness."

The online video allowed Deen and her staff a direct appeal to viewers and complete control of what she said and how she said it. Deen adopted a solemn tone as she looked straight into the camera. Still, her recorded apology featured three obvious edits – with the picture quickly fading out between splices – during a statement just five sentences long.

"I want to apologize to everybody, uh, for the wrong that I've done," Deen says as the video begins. "Uh, I want to learn and grow from this."

Deen initially planned to give her first interview on the controversy Friday to the "Today" show, which promoted her scheduled appearance as a live exclusive. Instead, host Matt Lauer ended up telling viewers that Deen's representatives pulled the plug because she was exhausted after her flight to New York.

Court records show Deen sat down for a deposition May 17 in a discrimination lawsuit filed last year by a former employee who managed Uncle Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House, a Savannah restaurant owned by Deen and her brother, Bubba Hiers. The ex-employee, Lisa Jackson, says she was sexually harassed and worked in a hostile environment rife with innuendo and racial slurs.

The transcript of Deen's questioned by an attorney for Jackson shows she was peppered with questions about her racial attitudes. At one point she's asked if she thinks jokes using the N-word are "mean." Deen says jokes often target minority groups and "I can't, myself, determine what offends another person."

Deen also acknowledges she briefly considered hiring all black waiters for her brother's 2007 wedding, an idea inspired by the staff at a restaurant she had visited with her husband. She insisted she quickly dismissed the idea.

But she also insisted in her legal deposition that she and her brother have no tolerance for bigotry.

"Bubba and I, neither one of us, care what the color of your skin is" or what gender a person is, Deen said. "It's what's in your heart and in your head that matters to us."

___

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2013

Her brother's name is Bubba, for Chrissakes.

Of course she's a racist.

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2013

Is dropping her a big deal? I don't think I even see her shows in as heavy rotation as they used t be on the Food Network. They have so many other shows on there, I doubt she'll be missed.

Ina must be loving this.

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2013

She's got her fans, who haven't had much to say about this, since they think the same way. I'll bet she resurfaces somewhere else. Not on PBS, though, to be sure.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

I doubt this will hurt her one bit.

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

OP apparently doesn't like the negative tone of the Paula Deen Slave Wedding thread so she's trying to spin her overreaction stance here.

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

I think it's because her name and her brand is associated with The Food Network. They wanna break dat.

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

The Tea Party will support her.

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

She should have been fired, I'm just surprised that she actually was fired.

I expected the Food Network to dance around this until it went away. I wonder if Paula's ratings have been shitty lately?

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

[quote]OP apparently doesn't like the negative tone of the Paula Deen Slave Wedding thread so she's trying to spin her overreaction stance here.

OP has never seen a Paula Deen Slave Wedding thread.

by Anonymousreply 1006/21/2013

To be honest with you, I would rather see Rachael Ray and Bobby Flay off the air. I can tolerate Paula.

by Anonymousreply 1106/21/2013

She should have been dropped when it was revealed that she hid her diabetes for more than a year while continuing to push sugar-filled food, fried confections, and tons of other foods that contribute to the obesity of this nation.

Have another butter-kabob, Paula!

by Anonymousreply 1206/21/2013

The whole thing was an overreaction. The homophobic shit that politicians, pastors and athletes get away with is 1000 times worse.

Then again, many is the US vamp and try to blame movies every time a school shooting happens.

by Anonymousreply 1306/21/2013

It's 2013, she should have been fired.

by Anonymousreply 1406/21/2013

I've really loved her- but sorry, it's 2013, and you don't use the N word, and don't casually relate to black people as slaves. Know I sound PC , but c'mon. We can jokingly call each other 'fags' , but get pissed off when a straight person uses that term. It's the same for blacks - they can call each other that, but a Caucasian should refrain from it .

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2013

I'm not agreeing with the use of the n word but I'm tired of the double standard when it's okay to be called a cracker etc....

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2013

[quote] a Caucasian should refrain from it

Leave Dzhokhar out of it!

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2013

r11 is lying about being black.

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013

My GAWD!

by Anonymousreply 1906/21/2013

What happens to her sons show? Are they done too?

by Anonymousreply 2006/21/2013

You're full of shit, R18.

You are creating a false equivalency, no doubt aided by your good friends at Faux Noise who specialize in that sort of thing.

1. It's not okay to call people "cracker" and it never has been.

2. Who the fuck calls anyone a "cracker" anyway?

3. The "N" word is worse and it will always be worse.

by Anonymousreply 2106/21/2013

[quote]I'm not agreeing with the use of the n word but I'm tired of the double standard when it's okay to be called a cracker etc....

You're not a cracker, just a moron.

by Anonymousreply 2206/21/2013

Cracker? Good grief.

by Anonymousreply 2306/21/2013

Let this be a message to racists in the media, it will not be tolerated.

by Anonymousreply 2406/21/2013

Considering how often the n word is used by both black and white adolescents as a term of endearment, this issue is hardly over. Paula is a symptom, not the disease.

by Anonymousreply 2506/21/2013

I knew she would be fired for this, and I'm glad she was.

And her show is on at least ten times a week in the afternoons, so she still has a considerable amount of airtime.

If Food Network had kept her, they would definitely have been identified with her racism.

One down, how many to go?

by Anonymousreply 2606/21/2013

[quote] Let this be a message to racists in the media, it will not be tolerated.

But homophobia is still fine.

Everyone knows this about racism already. Getting flashbacks to Crash winning Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 2706/21/2013

R16, it's 2013, no one uses the term cracker anymore. Besides cracker isn't really offensive.

by Anonymousreply 2806/21/2013

NY Post

by Anonymousreply 2906/21/2013

R21 is right. "Cracker" never caught on...certainly not like the N word.

And besides....how many white people have been hanged to death by an angry mob because they were "crackers?"

How many "cracker" churches have been bombed?

Did cops ever sic dogs on "crackers," or blast them with fire hoses?

Did a governor ever attempt to physically block them from going to school?

by Anonymousreply 3006/21/2013

She will be on ' Oprah's Next Chapter' soon, as part of her Apology Tour. They are great friends. Would love to hear what the big O thinks about all this. Nothing on Twitter ?

by Anonymousreply 3106/21/2013

A "cracker" is someone addicted to crystal.

Lol

by Anonymousreply 3206/21/2013

Someone on FB said they were shocked by how many people use the word when they moved to Savannah. In the north I think I only heard a white person said it 2 times in 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 3406/21/2013

Her granmaw-maw's Butternut cak, featured eariler this week, looked awfully good.

by Anonymousreply 3506/21/2013

If she'd mistreated gay caterers and referred to them as fags, none of this would have happened btw.

There are no workplace protections based on sexual orientation for gay people in Georgia or at the federal level, so the workers wouldn't have been able to bring a suit as happened here. And even if they had, the deposition would have been as unlikely to raise as many hackles. It would have been reported in a few gay outlets and if it had been picked up elsewhere the right would be shrieking "Free speech!! She's being silenced!!!"

She's swiftly and appropriately fired in this case, I'm sure she'll pay through the nose in that lawsuit, and everyone is lining up to say how objectionable they think this is.

Total double standard imho.

by Anonymousreply 3606/21/2013

Dammit, should I throw away my Paula Deen egg cooking pan and teapot?? I got a great deal on the teapot.

by Anonymousreply 3706/21/2013

Bye bye, racist bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3806/21/2013

Crackers were the men who hearded cattle in the Southeast in Colonial days. Think of cracking whips over the heads of cattle to get them moving. People descended from those men look upon this just as people brag about being related to someone who came over on the Mayflower. There are Cracker museums and homesteads that illustrate this part of U.S. history.

by Anonymousreply 3906/21/2013

[quote]She also admitted under oath that she called the President of the United States the N word.

Not true.

by Anonymousreply 4006/21/2013

The truth is her ratings have been declining since the diabetes uproar and the network is tired of the negative publicity. She's not the moneymaker she used to be.

by Anonymousreply 4206/21/2013

Oh for fucks sake. People really need to get some thicker skin.

by Anonymousreply 4306/21/2013

Will her agoraphobia return because of this?

by Anonymousreply 4406/21/2013

R2 Have you ever heard of Bubba Smith, dear?

Also, just because they're not renewing her contract doesn't mean they won't keep airing her hundreds of existing episodes ad infinitum.

by Anonymousreply 4506/21/2013

If this were her first controversy it would have been different. This is a woman that continued to tout butter and sugar when she had diabetes for 3 years. She shows no sincerity. She says she's sorry to keep her job and fans. Kudos to the Food Network for their swift action.

by Anonymousreply 4606/21/2013

Exactly what R42 and R46 said. The public and food network have been losing patience with her, her brand never really recovered from the diabetes incident. This is just a nice excuse to finally cut the chord.

by Anonymousreply 4706/21/2013

Her two sons still have shows on FN.

by Anonymousreply 4806/21/2013

She said she used the N-word in the distant past. Do you suppose there are many Southerners her age who haven't ever uttered the word?

by Anonymousreply 4906/21/2013

Well the good news is that ya'll still don't know about the whole nazi fetish my husband and I have, so there's that!

by Anonymousreply 5006/21/2013

Her sons need to bank all their earnings since their contracts probably won't be renewed.

by Anonymousreply 5106/21/2013

[quote]Do you suppose there are many Southerners her age who haven't ever uttered the word?

Heck no. I don't doubt that the woman who brought suit against her has used the word.

by Anonymousreply 5206/21/2013

Yes r49, that's what she'll admit to anyway. She was fantasizing about a slave wedding in 2007 though, not what I'd call the distance past.

by Anonymousreply 5306/21/2013

r34, certainly there's plenty of racism in the North (my native Michigan is a hotbed of white supremacist activity) but there's a cultural difference because the ethnic mix is so different. Obviously, Michigan was never a slave-owning state, and in fact served as a final leg for the Underground Railroad. Most of the Euro Americans who settled here emigrated after slavery was over and done with, so the dimension of there having been a golden age when black people "knew their place" didn't exist for them, plus the blacks who came up from the South intended to make better lives for themselves, were fed up with taking shit and not about to put up with any more. So race relations have historically been more openly antagonistic, but that's because they could be.

by Anonymousreply 5406/21/2013

I don't think that tasteless party idea is bad enough for the network to drop her show. They just don't want to deal with the issue.

by Anonymousreply 5506/21/2013

Correction r55, a racist party idea. Did you ever see Michael Moore's Roger And Me? A party where former Detroit car factory employees, were now being hired by their filthy rich former bosses, to be human statues at a party, and how absurdly humiliating it was for those people. Paula's idea was that bad and a hundred times worse. Try as you might, you won't be able to whitewash it.

by Anonymousreply 5606/21/2013

I'm not trying to whitewash it. It is what it is and each of us can decide for himself how heinous he finds it.

by Anonymousreply 5706/21/2013

"Do you suppose there are many Southerners her age who haven't ever uttered the word?"

If you think using the "N" word is only done by Southerners of a certain age, you are truly living in a dream world, or severely brain damaged.

I've lived my entire 60+ years in the Midwest and Northeast, and I've heard plenty of white people in both places, young and old, use that term.

by Anonymousreply 5806/21/2013

[quote]If you think using the "N" word is only done by Southerners of a certain age, you are truly living in a dream world, or severely brain damaged.

I don't and you have no basis for thinking I do.

by Anonymousreply 5906/21/2013

[quote]If she'd mistreated gay caterers and referred to them as fags, none of this would have happened btw.

r36, Im black and I agree with you completely. This is such a non-story, about her saying what she has in the past. I wouldnt be surprised if she still called black people n*gger. Its Paula damn Deen people. I just hope whoever is suing her gets justice.

Paula has had a good run, and like r42 said, her brand already took a huge hit. But I would like to see some heads roll for throwing around the f*ggot word. Im sick of high profile individuals just being able to give their half assed apologies for it, and then nobody acts like anything happened. Fuck that. If Paula Deen got fired then they should too.

by Anonymousreply 6006/21/2013

What do you all think happened to Isaiah Washington when he used the "F" word? He became all but unemployable. And wasn't Dr. Laura's TV show yanked off the air and her radio show forced to move to Sirius? Homophobia doesn't get a free pass.

And Don Imus and Dog The Bounty Hunter both made racially offensive comments, and they got their jobs back, so....

by Anonymousreply 6106/21/2013

Total overreaction, and this is coming from a black person. I've watched Paula for years and I love her show. Hell, while you'd be hard pressed to find a face of color guesting on Giada and Ina's shows, Paula has black people on her programs all the time. She has blacks in her employ and black friends. I seriously doubt all those people would want to be associated with her if she was a true, card-carrying racist. Point is, everyone makes mistakes. The woman grew up in the segregated South, for crying out loud. I honestly don't think the woman harbors any ill will towards black people.

by Anonymousreply 6206/21/2013

I stopped watching Deen after I saw her licking her fingers and then touching the food while she was cooking for friends, so I'm glad she's getting fired for saying the N word and I'm glad she's going for just being nasty in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 6306/21/2013

Good points, r61. Part of why I'm hardline on the n-word, is that I also believe in being hardline on the f-word. It's not that hard to simply remove a few heinous words from our vocabulary. I don't buy it when people say it's so difficult for them, it just reflects their racism, there's no other explanation.

by Anonymousreply 6406/21/2013

The irony in all this is that Lisa Jackson, the woman whose lawsuit has caused this big hubbub, is a white woman.

by Anonymousreply 6506/21/2013

They need to replace her with Francine!!!

I love her.

by Anonymousreply 6606/21/2013

It is sort of remarkable how suddenly there are all these people here claiming to be black and defending Deen. Yet none of them ever speak out when some one posts some racist crap on other threads.

by Anonymousreply 6706/21/2013

R68. You go gurl with your bad ass ff.

by Anonymousreply 6906/21/2013

For those who think she's being treated unfairly:

What would you say if she freely used the word faggot?

by Anonymousreply 7006/21/2013

[R11] No shit ! Someone needs to strangle Rachel Ray.

by Anonymousreply 7106/21/2013

Good!

by Anonymousreply 7206/21/2013

As a gay black man, both words (faggot and nigger) hurt, but--for me--nigger cuts a tad bit deeper.

by Anonymousreply 7306/21/2013

r67, where in my post did I say I DIDN'T think Paula Deen should get fired?

by Anonymousreply 7406/21/2013

[quote]What would you say if she freely used the word faggot?

She isn't being accused of using the N word freely either.

by Anonymousreply 7606/21/2013

Everything is better with butter!

by Anonymousreply 7706/21/2013

The context she used the word in was regarding an incident while she was a bank employee. A black man held up the bank and held a gun to her head. Then when asked if she used the word any other time. She responded that she must have, adding that it would have been a long time ago.

I don't like the woman but his is over kill. She is not Laura Schlesigner or Mel Gibson.

by Anonymousreply 7806/21/2013

The View's take on it...

by Anonymousreply 7906/21/2013

Get rid of her!

by Anonymousreply 8006/21/2013

Paula Deen is 66 years old and has lived in Georgia her entire life. I'm sure she used the N-word decades ago, like everyone else back then did. The point is that people grow and change, they see how wrong they were and don't hold onto the past. I believe Paula is one of those people.

by Anonymousreply 8106/21/2013

I've lived a long life and I've never felt the need to use the n word and I have no idea why anyone needs to use it.

As you said, she's 66, she can retire.

She's a great cook but at what point do people need to retire? Are we all suppose to be as ancient and out of touch as Barbara Walters, before we retire?

by Anonymousreply 8206/21/2013

Delish!

by Anonymousreply 8306/21/2013

Deep fat frying as I type.

by Anonymousreply 8406/21/2013

[quote]And wasn't Dr. Laura's TV show yanked off the air and her radio show forced to move to Sirius? Homophobia doesn't get a free pass.

The rant that got Dr. Laura's radio shiw yanked off the air had nothing to do with homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 8506/21/2013

That's raaaht. Instead of bien' faahred, she kin retaahr.

by Anonymousreply 8606/21/2013

I loathe her, but if she was fired for admitting to using the word "nigger" once it is a bizarre and rather loathesome case of overkill.

The notion that blacks may walk around using a word but that a while using the word automatically is a racist is ridiculous - don't blabber at me about "in-speech" and "claiming the invective" or whatever - as a gay man (and biracial but people assume I'm white so I won't bother bringing that into the argument) I know all about that. Double standards cannot apply to employment ------

except of course they just wanted to jettison here to stop the noise and not have a splash-back on them. I suspect the other issues in the case, rather than an errant use of a nasty, mean word, are what was at issue. She's a ghastly pig woman and likely has littered her past with all sorts of insensitivities, and those are pouring out into the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 8806/21/2013

Just because SOME black people use the word hardly gives white people a free pass. That is total BS.

by Anonymousreply 8906/21/2013

The rump rangers will back her up.

by Anonymousreply 9006/21/2013

R81, et al, believe it or not, but plenty of born, raised, and died in the South Southern whites never used the word. They would have supported the status quo (forcefully!), but believed only "low-born" or immigrant whites used the words "nigger," or even "Nigra." Colored, Negro, Sam, Uncle, Auntie, but not Nigger.

by Anonymousreply 9106/21/2013

R91 is correct. While it is certainly not the final word on the subject, but Margret Mitchell makes a point in GWTW how the O'Haras and their class would never use the word as it was considered something a well bred person would never do. Of course they had plenty of other words to use which were just as hateful, but for whatever reason, that one was off limits.

by Anonymousreply 9306/21/2013

Am I the only one who thinks Food Network probably was thinking of not renewing her contract months ago and this either pushed them over the edge or was just coincidental timing?

She's very "old food network" and i wouldn't be surprised if overall they're looking to get some new blood on the network.

by Anonymousreply 9406/21/2013

Why do people try to reduce the scandal to "She used the n word once a long time ago?" She admitted WAY more than that in the deposition. Who are you racist cunts who are A)justifying the use of the "N" word and B) saying that's all she did?

Also love the bitches who are saying in effect that if people can get away with homophobia, then they should get a free pass on racism. Because justice for none is fairer somehow than justice for some? Don't you think, that maybe, just maybe, the reason we've been able to get any traction on gay rights is because other minorities have gotten traction on their equal rights before us? And that still other minorities might gain something as a result from our gains?

But I know that racism knows no logic and hate makes otherwise intelligent people stupid. And no matter how oppressed your group is, that's no guarantee that you yourself won't be a bigot. But don't cry to me about homophobia when you're using that as a defense against bigotry and racism.

by Anonymousreply 9506/21/2013

What about her magazine - it that a publication of the Food Network or is that hers? Will this be the end of that magazine?

I noticed that Martha Stewart seems to have just wedding magazines. Did she stop publishing her Martha Stewart Living magazine? I don't see it in the stores anymore.

by Anonymousreply 9606/22/2013

Isn't Paula Deen's appeal that she's a total train wreck? Do people actually watch her show to learn how to cook?? If it's train wreck that you want, she shouldn't have been fired.

However, she'll be picked up, given a reality show where she goes off to make amends -- probably serving a bunch of black people for a year. Sort of like when Oprah went to live on that plantation with Gale.

by Anonymousreply 9706/22/2013

I'm Black and I can honestly say that the other self described "Blacks" who say this is a non-issue, are the freaks walking around in every community who are so self-hating and out of touch with reality, they don't know when they are being ridiculed for being Black... perfect sheep idiots.

by Anonymousreply 9806/22/2013

She has the BEST recipe for funeral potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 9906/22/2013

She will burn in hell surrounded by a buncha N*****s with diabetes and pitchforks. Heathen woman.

by Anonymousreply 10006/22/2013

In my southern family, n*gger was a word we never used.

Granted, we did say colored people. But the blacks called themselves colored when I was a child.

I do worry that hate speech, as reprehensible as it is, is now criminalised.

How long before using n*gger or f*ggot on the phone or in emails is criminalized?

by Anonymousreply 10106/22/2013

I'm black and not self loathing and I think this is bullshit. She's being fired for a word that is in every other hip hip song and can be heard almost everywhere. And don't give me this bullshit that because we're black, we can say it. If the word is so awful and so offensive and someone can be fired for saying it - 30 years ago, then let's start policing all words. What's next?

by Anonymousreply 10206/22/2013

[quote] Isn't Paula Deen's appeal that she's a total train wreck? Do people actually watch her show to learn how to cook?? If it's train wreck that you want, she shouldn't have been fired.

I assumed this too. I thought people tuned in to see the most ridiculously unhealthy things ever, but more to laugh than to try recreate the things at home.

by Anonymousreply 10306/22/2013

If R102 is black I'll eat my hat.

by Anonymousreply 10406/22/2013

Exactly, R104.

by Anonymousreply 10506/22/2013

My favorite Deen

by Anonymousreply 10606/22/2013

r67 and r104 NAILED it. Thread closed. (Who is at r108??)

by Anonymousreply 10706/22/2013

sorry, "truly frightening"

by Anonymousreply 10906/22/2013

[quote]I'm not agreeing with the use of the n word but I'm tired of the double standard when it's okay to be called a cracker etc....

Racism is based on power. White people undoubtedly hold the majority of the wealth and power in this country.

All races can be prejudiced, but only white people can be racist.

by Anonymousreply 11006/22/2013

R110, that's a very narrow, situational definition of racism. Since it is situational, it is therefore not true. Throw it out.

Racism and prejudice are interchangeable today. Most of the time they come down to the same issue(s).

by Anonymousreply 11106/22/2013

[quoteI'm black and not self loathing and I think this is bullshit. She's being fired for a word that is in every other hip hip song and can be heard almost everywhere. And don't give me this bullshit that because we're black, we can say it. If the word is so awful and so offensive and someone can be fired for saying it - 30 years ago, then let's start policing all words. What's next?

Yeah, and if she had called her gay employees Faggots, you'd be ok with that too, right? She doesn't get a pass on that word. That word kills souls. That word is the last thing law abiding good American citizens heard before they were murdered for nothing more than being who they were, and that needs to be repected. She wasn't fired for using the word. She was fired because her contract is up and the producers aren't stupid enough to spend millions on a whole new season they know people won't watch.

by Anonymousreply 11306/22/2013

I'm glad Food Network finally got I'd of her and her lard-eating ways.

It's not only the words she used but the thought of her hiring black people for a wedding and dressing them as slaves. That shows her level of ignorance and it would stain their reputation.

I hope they never run reruns of her shows either.

by Anonymousreply 11506/22/2013

Black people can only use power in "micro" situations...refusing service to a white woman or making a white man feel less than for the brief exchange they've had.

White people, on the other hand, have the power to make entire races feel less than for generations upon generations. That is "macro" situations.

So, I guess you got me, Black people can be racist. But as the racism of a black person only harms one white person briefly, the racism of a white person can disenfranchise the entire black race of America for hundreds of years.

Kinda doesn't seem fair....

by Anonymousreply 11606/22/2013

[quote]I'm black and not self loathing and I think this is bullshit. She's being fired for a word that is in every other hip hip song and can be heard almost everywhere. And don't give me this bullshit that because we're black, we can say it. If the word is so awful and so offensive and someone can be fired for saying it - 30 years ago, then let's start policing all words. What's next?

Bullshit. You are self-loathing.

by Anonymousreply 11706/22/2013

If she used it 3o fucking years ago...she can sue her company because she wasn't even working for them then. If she called her worker the n word, then she should be fired.

I don't understand why anyone ever uses it...it's a gross word.

by Anonymousreply 11806/22/2013

By the way, fuck you...know it all R117. You don't know anything, stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 11906/22/2013

So R119 uses the C word in place of the N word.

Faggot, cunt, nigger--- it only shows the ignorance of the person using the word.

by Anonymousreply 12006/22/2013

Of course she should have been fired. How is this a question?

by Anonymousreply 12106/22/2013

My father who grew up during Jim Crow would always say, "The N-word isn't the problem, the not allowing me to buy a home in your neighborhood, not allowing my kids into the good schools and colleges, putting up roadblocks for black men and women to earn decent salaries, that's the problem."

Now we can do all those things, but there is still much to be done within the black community. I would rather focus on those other things, and not what some silly old white lady said 30 years ago.

And I'm also gay, and I get so tired that we continue to get hung up on the f-word, when their are so many other things that we should focus on.

Sticks and stones and all that jazz. Words don't hurt you.

by Anonymousreply 12206/22/2013

[quote] Words don't hurt you.

Tell that to Paula Deen.

by Anonymousreply 12306/22/2013

Looking at this only from the business perspective, I don't understand why Deen and her brother didn't settle the lawsuit before the deposition was filed in court. If this isn't a classic case of why a party should settle, I don't know what is. Did they think word wouldn't leak out about this or that they could successfully defend themselves without some public knowledge of the matter? That sounds pretty arrogant and out of touch.

I think this may have been a sticking point for Food Network. It's just further evidence, on top of the diabetes fiasco, that the Deens weren't trying very hard to protect the brand. Why should FN continue to allow itself to be tarnished by the Deen's bad business practices on top of the poor way they treat people?

by Anonymousreply 12406/22/2013

Paula Deen has been vanquished!

We can all relax and go back to our Utopian, racist-free paradise, the USA!

Signed, The beleaguered Voting Rights Act, The NSA, The New Syrian War, and Shrinking Wages!

by Anonymousreply 12506/22/2013

I agree with R125.

Talk about a tempest in a teapot.

by Anonymousreply 12606/22/2013

R95 (LGM), I don't know when you discovered DataLounge, and I don't think this will help a whole hell of a lot, but when I found it, in 1998 or 1999 (right after another gay site, IHSG, imploded via cliquedom), it was the smartest, funniest, and most progressive-liberal place on the entire internet. It was such a bastion of smart Democrats that several I introduced (smart, witty, liberal people) were too intimidated to post and mostly lurked.

We flamed anyone racist off the site, along with homophobes and those who thought they could convert us to straight and/or conservative lives. The webmaster was god; he regularly banned people for invective (or overusing bandwidth to speculate about what color Elijah wore and what it meant).

It wasn't this place, not even close. It was irreverent, but had its heart and brain in the right place. When a member had something tragic happen, it showed the former, and when the election was stolen from Gore, it showed the latter.

I don't know what DL is today, but it's unrecognizable. If you weren't there, I wish you could be. It was a great site. The best ever.

by Anonymousreply 12706/22/2013

[quote]Couldn't she just take the fifth?

You plead the fifth when its a criminal case, not in a civil case. This is a civil court case.

by Anonymousreply 12906/22/2013

Interesting, some of the media outlets are reporting that she is being fired for using the N-word but omitting the professional context, and completely omitting the slave/wedding drama. Her sympathizers are responding by saying "Oh, everyone has used a bad word or slur once in awhile." Very suspicious if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 13006/22/2013

So R129, could she simply refuse to answer? It seems odd that a person should be required to give the hangman the hemp out which he will make the rope to hang you.

by Anonymousreply 13106/22/2013

R131 No, you really dont have a choice. Unless the information they are asking is privileged information, you must answer the questions asked.

by Anonymousreply 13206/22/2013

I am a little tired of the "slave wedding" phrase. Do you really think all of those black servants in 1930s films were slaves? The fact is that having "Negro servants" was a sign of success well after the civil war. Blacks were considered better workers than the Irish and more intelligent than the Germans. A woman of Paula's age probably on some level associates having all black serving staff with "class"in both senses of the word. The interesting thing is that Paula does apparently have many black friends. I wonder what they would have thought about having all black servers. I would not be the least bit surprised if many of them would have thought it "classy" as well.

by Anonymousreply 13306/22/2013

Um, pretty sure the "servants" in Gone with the Wind were slaves. Pretty sure the same goes for those folks on PLANTATIONS.

Really, R133? Really?

by Anonymousreply 13406/22/2013

I think R24 makes a good point as well as the person who indicated that FN was probably looking to jettison her anyway (I can't be bothered to find the post).

I've posted this before, but I purchased tickets to one of those food & dining cooking demonstrations with Paula Deen as the featured chef. I figured it was a "cooking demonstration" in the loosest sense of the word, but it was even worse than I expected because she used it as an autograph session for her wildly rabid fans (and boy does she have them!). At one bought her husband stepped in to try to move the program along and she basically told him to shut up. Her sons just stood their looking uncomfortable. They were not the "ah shucks" bunch that they put forth on TV.

My guess is that she's been a pain in FN's ass for awhile and she just handed them an opportunity and reason to get rid of her. One would think if she was a valued employee they might have waited to see if this whole thing would blow over, but clearly they ditched her at the first sign trouble.

by Anonymousreply 13506/22/2013

R134. Did you read R133 and do you understand that the FICTIONAL GWTW was before the war of northern aggression?

by Anonymousreply 13606/22/2013

She was ALWAYS late to the set. So unprofesional! And she had a potty-month.

by Anonymousreply 13706/22/2013

In her deposition, Paula identified the servants as slaves. The issue is what SHE intended them to be.

by Anonymousreply 13806/22/2013

So Paula fans are inundating FN with angry mail now.

by Anonymousreply 13906/22/2013

r127

Are you fine with the DNA infected level of misogyny that exists on DL? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 14006/22/2013

I'm just glad they got rid of her because I'm sick and tired of seeing her face everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 14106/22/2013

good riddance. I'm so sick of her act, so fake, just like her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 14206/22/2013

Did y'all not see this new video on HP today? The woman is tone deaf.

by Anonymousreply 14306/22/2013

Y'all, y'all, y'all, y'all, y'all, y'all, y'all...

by Anonymousreply 14406/22/2013

I'm willing to teach Bobby Deen what to do with all those leftover sticks of butter from his mommy's show.

by Anonymousreply 14506/22/2013

[quote]before the war of northern aggression

Nothing says, "I'm a sore loser", louder then the phrase "war of northern aggression". What act of aggression did the north commit to start the war? Oh, yea, they elected a president.

by Anonymousreply 14606/22/2013

Intelligent, physically fit people in the American South must feel like aliens in their own home

by Anonymousreply 14706/22/2013

[quote]Intelligent, physically fit people in the American South must feel like aliens in their own home.

When one moves down here, we'll ask them if they feel that way.

by Anonymousreply 14806/22/2013

I'm sure the same people who think firing her was wrong were glad when I. Washington got fired from Grey's Anatomy...because that's different.

by Anonymousreply 14906/22/2013

No one is buying your bullshit, R136.

by Anonymousreply 15006/22/2013

[quote]Racism is based on power. White people undoubtedly hold the majority of the wealth and power in this country.

Thanks, Kevin. I've been wondering where you've been since the Real World.

by Anonymousreply 15106/23/2013

Did the Food Network already start pulling her show? Noticed it was supposed to be on earlier today, but in its place was one of Giada's shows.

by Anonymousreply 15206/23/2013

loathsome cow--

by Anonymousreply 15306/23/2013

look at all her fat fans gathered in front of her restaurant to show Paula they support her

by Anonymousreply 15406/23/2013

Regardless of her language, it's clear she isn't predjudiced and so she should be cut some slack.

by Anonymousreply 15506/23/2013

FRAU POWER

by Anonymousreply 15606/23/2013

I have two black cats. I was at a client's home (I am a therapist) just last week and this gentlemen, African American in his late 30's, who is trying to get custody of his daughter who was removed from his care for neglect, also has a black cat. I mentioned my two and he asked what there names were. I said the little girl is called Darcie and the boy cat is Thomas. He looked at me and said naming a black shorthair cat Thomas was racist and that my naming the cat Thomas, made me a racist.

by Anonymousreply 15706/23/2013

Tell your client to get help, R157

by Anonymousreply 15806/23/2013

I get that the culture is different in the South. But even if that justifies it (I don't think she is really mean), once you are a public figure making millions with a fan base, shouldn't you be responsible enough to watch what you say?

by Anonymousreply 15906/23/2013

R150. Do you thing GWTW was a true story or do you think slavery extended to 1930? Either way, you should probably point that bullshit meter at yourself

by Anonymousreply 16006/23/2013

I wonder why Deen didn't settle for an "undisclosed amount" while not admitting any guilt or responsibility. Don't a good number of civil suits wind up settled like this? There would have been a stipulation preventing both parties from discussing the matter, as well. Deen opted out of the plantation wedding due to concerns about the media. Why did she think this wouldn't attract the media? A "_______ vs. Deen" filing would attract attention. The records weren't sealed.

by Anonymousreply 16106/23/2013

The key to this whole thing is that Deen surrounded herself with horrible advisers -- and, of course, who she hires is a reflection of her.

Her attorneys should have settled the suit. Her crisis PR people should have coached her on what to say and sent her on to Today as scheduled. No one should have made and posted that sorry YouTube apology video.

Frankly, I can see how FN is fed up with her. First, the diabetes debacle, now this. As a previous poster said, the Deen team sure didn't take protecting the brand very seriously.

And the idiots who are flocking now to FN sites to spread racist slurs in the name of defending Paula? OMG, they're my favorite. I love them. They are the misguided Americans who think they're helping by showing exactly how their ignorance makes FN's action necessary. If they were my fans, I'd run for the hills.

by Anonymousreply 16206/23/2013

Her being fired, and the racist fraus who are exposing just how fucked up her fans are on Sleazebook, is like watching a boil being lanced

by Anonymousreply 16306/23/2013

OMG R160 you are just something else. Seriously.

Can't be mad at you, you're that dense.

by Anonymousreply 16406/23/2013

What's she doing wearing Chris Pine's eyes?

by Anonymousreply 16506/23/2013

[162] Maybe a settlement was refused

by Anonymousreply 16606/23/2013

R164, I am not R160, but really GWTW is just a movie. Having a GWTW movie is no different than having a Starwars or Jane Austin Wedding. Tacky as hell, but that is as far as it goes. And, no it is not the equivalent of having a Schindler's List wedding. It is not as if she was recreating a slave auction or a lynching as part of the festivities.

There used to be a restaurant in the West Village called the Paris Commune. I knew I guy who would get apoplectic every time he went past. Yeh, I know my European history, but it is just a restaurant, get over it. And I really cant't get worked up over a bar called Jack the Ripper. At this point he is as much a folk character as he is real person. It really isn't the same as calling the bar the Jeffery Dahmer or the Ted Bundy.

by Anonymousreply 16706/23/2013

Well, R167, you and R160 can both join Dean's fraus on her webpage who "don't get what the big deal is."

Sadly, there will always be people like you.

Luckily, from the looks of things, not so many anymore.

by Anonymousreply 16806/23/2013

R168. So you do not know GWTW is fictional. Thank you for confirming. Using a fictional movie as supporting facts for the Paula Deen discussion is all too silly.

by Anonymousreply 16906/23/2013

R168, Actually, I get it more than you do. I am absolutely certain that I know more about slavery on a day to day life basis than you do. More so to the extent that I can differentiate between slavery conditions by decade. I am sure you feel that slaves in 1860 were treated exactly the same as 1800. I also bet that you are incapable of putting the living conditions of slaves into any context of the living conditions of workers in general during the same time (Oh my god! Not CONTEXT!!!! We can't possibly see slavery as part of a greater whole!)

I am sorry, but I really can't get indignant over slavery when women and children were legally property for decades afterwards. Are you aware that the first child abuse cases had to be argued under existing animal abuse laws because the resistance to regulating a father's absolute power over his family was so strong. This was the late 19th century. And, women did not get the vote until 50 years later. During the same time, a husband could pretty much have his wife committed to an insane asylum at any time.

Really this whole slavery thing is just white men and black men + PC Caucasians playing acting like rabid sports fans. Really, it has nothing to do with history or truth it is just one side cheering on his team against the other.

Can we deal with something in the "here and now", like why black kids can't read? Yes, I volunteer 8 hours a week teaching reading to at risk kids. Black youth need your help now, not squabbling over something that happened long before you were born to people you never met.

by Anonymousreply 17006/23/2013

Oh it's YOU, R170.

You forgot the part about how slaves ate a pretty darn good diet during those times. We should shut up already, right? How's that book going?

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Limited loons like yourself, fading from history, thank goodness.

by Anonymousreply 17106/23/2013

Why exactly are people arguing about GWTW in this thread?

Anyway, anyone who doesn't understand the flap about this needs to read through her deposition. She's totally clueless about racial issues. I have no doubt she doesn't perceive herself as racist because she "likes" black people, yet she apparently doesn't understand why having black servers dressed as slaves at a plantation theme wedding reception would be offensive or hurtful.

She needs to "grow and learn" indeed.

by Anonymousreply 17206/23/2013

You're exactly right, r172. I read through the deposition as well. It makes it very clear why Food Network decided not to renew her contract as one of their spokespeople.

by Anonymousreply 17306/23/2013

[quote]Why exactly are people arguing about GWTW in this thread?

Because some people are aware that there is a best a mixed message being sent. If a GWTW wedding is taboo? What about all of the GWTW collectible items? Should you be able to sue if your employer collects GWTW dolls? Is having GWTW collectors plates in your kitchen the equivalent of of Marge Schott having Swastika on her Christmas tree? If we as a society treated GWTW like Birth of a Nation, and treated GWTW items like mammy tea towels and mammy toaster covers, I can see the argument. However, society does not. This one particular part of the deposition seems false. The rest may be spot on, but this part seems false.

by Anonymousreply 17406/23/2013

Only one poster seems to be hung up on the GWTW element. A freakish diversion.

Most of us are more concerned with the substance of the case as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 17506/23/2013

[quote]Can we deal with something in the "here and now", like why black kids can't read? Yes, I volunteer 8 hours a week teaching reading to at risk kids. Black youth need your help now, not squabbling over something that happened long before you were born to people you never met.

We're dealing with the "here and now" by having nice people like you give of your time to help.... as well as getting rid of old bigots who are stuck in the "there and then."

We can do both.

by Anonymousreply 17606/23/2013

Actually, several posters have commented on the GWTW aspect and it is better than the ad hominem comments with no substance. If you are tired of GWTW, pick another specific part of the deposition to discuss. Simply volleying back and forth She's bad/ she's OK is boring.

by Anonymousreply 17706/23/2013

How more specific do you need to be, R177?

Dean is a racist bigot, got caught in the act, and got fired.

What's left?

by Anonymousreply 17806/23/2013

R178, well then, there really isn't anything more to say and the thread should die. That's kind of boring isn't it? I mean if Nathan Fillion can reach thread two, certainly we can have an intelligent discussion about this subject.

by Anonymousreply 17906/23/2013

Some of us can, R179.

Some of us can't.

by Anonymousreply 18006/23/2013

DEEN_SLURS_REACTION_2_31780251.JPG

by Anonymousreply 18106/23/2013

R179, if a thread gets extended to a second one, it's usually not a good sign. It only means freaks ar'a postin'!

I mean I was surprised to see so many people obsessed with the Russian mob taking over upstate NY, so I wanted to see why that was... big mistake.

by Anonymousreply 18206/23/2013

That worked well for me, didn't it. Thought I knew how to embed a pic, but obviously I don't. Check out the photo in the link. It's a great commentary on Deen's demographic.

by Anonymousreply 18306/23/2013

OK R182, when you are right, you are right. I stand corrected.

by Anonymousreply 18406/23/2013

Yikes, r183. I wonder if any of them looked around and had any self reflection.

by Anonymousreply 18506/23/2013

MSNBC reported that black workers at her restaurant were required to use separate entrances and bathrooms from white workers. Defend that.

Paula jokes in the above linked video that her black friend "is as black as this board" pointing to the black stage backdrop. And she also tells him to stand-up because "no one can see him standing against that black wall."

by Anonymousreply 18606/23/2013

The comments section underneath the picture of the feedlot is pretty much what I expected from the "Dallas morning news."

by Anonymousreply 18706/23/2013

[quote]A former employee named Lisa Jackson is suing Deen and her brother Bubba Hiers, alleging that the pair operated a discriminatory workplace at Hiers’ restaurant Uncle Bubba’s Seafood and Oyster House. Jackson alleged that black workers were forced to use separate bathrooms than white employees and were routinely discriminated against in other ways, including repeatedly having to hear racist slurs. Jackson also said that she was sexually harassed.

If this is true, how in the hell does anyone -especially a gay person- defend this? This goes well beyond simply using a racial slur.

by Anonymousreply 18806/23/2013

I can tell you how they defend it, r188. The moderate-to-conservative brain trust has convinced many Americans that the "threat of PC" is harming their God-given freedoms. There is no thought or investigation in these people's minds. Just reaction. So when Deen semi-cleverly says I only used the "n-word" when I was held at gunpoint by a black man, it's like a mating call to these people. They don't hear or see anything else. They are hypnotized because PC is the biggest threat of all. Life is so unfair to them.

by Anonymousreply 18906/23/2013

[quote]Jackson alleged that black workers were forced to use separate bathrooms than white employees

OK, finally we have some meat. Bitching about whether a 66 year old southern woman who grew up poor ever used the word "nigger" or bitching because she wanted a GWTW wedding is really trivial (yes, trivial, get over it.)

Having separate bathrooms and entrances is so off the charts, it is almost unbelievable. Why did it take 188 posts for it to get mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 19006/23/2013

That's what I want to know, R190. How the hell did she ever think she'd get away with racially-segregated restrooms? Why did anyone put up with it and how come we haven't heard of it until now?

by Anonymousreply 19106/23/2013

So it is more than just "hurtful words."

How come not of the media pointed this out? Everyone seemed focused on the N word but this is way more serious!

by Anonymousreply 19306/23/2013

The funniest excuse is when they use the "Well black people call each other that!" Their definition of "PC" is anything that doesn't offend THEM.

If I called one of their dead grandmother's a "cunt" as a joke, I doubt they'd be fine with it.

Anyone who uses "PC" is admitting they're too stupid and selfish to live because believe me, I could say things to them I'd think was fine and they wouldn't.

They're no different than the Christians (probably the same people) who think they're being persecuted because someone had the nerve to say "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas."

This is about a group of idiots who haven't gotten the message that they need to grow the fuck up and realize that if you're going to say shit to and about other people, prepare for the consequences because those people no longer have to take it.

by Anonymousreply 19406/23/2013

Did either of you bother to actually read up on the case? Did you read how her brother, Bubba, actively tells racist, homophobic, anti-Semetic jokes all the time which Deen says she can't be bothered to understand who might be offended by them?

by Anonymousreply 19506/23/2013

r190 many places STILL get away with having separate bathrooms for males and females. How do they get away with it?

by Anonymousreply 19606/23/2013

R193, those are accusations. They haven't been proven to be true - yet. There are some incriminating accusations against the woman who filed the complaint.

I'm reacting to the things that Paula Dern herself has admitted. To me, there is more than enough in that to warrant Food Network to cut ties.

by Anonymousreply 19706/23/2013

[quote]many places STILL get away with having separate bathrooms for males and females. How do they get away with it?

Popular demand keeps gender-segregated restrooms in use just as popular demand led to the end of racially-segregated restrooms.

by Anonymousreply 19806/23/2013

[quote][R190] many places STILL get away with having separate bathrooms for males and females. How do they get away with it?

Reserve a chair at the Algonquin for this one.

Pretty much the type of genius you expect to be defending her. The level of stupid is actually painful.

by Anonymousreply 19906/23/2013

Any chance that BET will pick up her show?

by Anonymousreply 20006/23/2013

R190, you're trivial. Slavery was not romantic no matter how much old white people think so.

If she had called gay men fags and hosted a party where she wanted gay men to dress in prison garb with pink triangles on them, you'd be calling for her head.

Or if you think that's not enough how about hiring actors to play AIDS victims? Or sissies who get chased around by jocks who tie them up and mock beat them?

She's 66, this isn't 1966 in the South. She's almost had 50 years to know better.

by Anonymousreply 20106/23/2013

So when that big giant douche loser Guy makes homophobic comments that make national news they don't even address them or make a statement let alone fire him - however an old woman from the south admits that 30 years ago she used a racial slur and they fire her? well that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 20206/23/2013

But R197, no way would she admit to these other things even if true because actions speak louder than words.

Most people can accept "words," because we've all said things we shouldn't have, but if she ever admitted to the other things, she'd be done - amongst civilized people.

by Anonymousreply 20306/23/2013

R183. The only difference in that photo and the DL demographic is 50% would be on a mobility scooter in the DL photo.

by Anonymousreply 20406/23/2013

R195, the people obsessed with hating black people don't want to look at the rest of the lawsuit. This is why I can't stand the race baiting media. It's interesting that this lawsuit was filed by a white woman and she accuses the Deens of many things but why does the media and the public only focus on black people and the N word? Why doesn't the media talk about the sexual harassment claims?

by Anonymousreply 20506/23/2013

R200, one of the dumbasses at the link where the cattle were gathering to enter the restaurant already made that lame joke.

Get new material, loser.

by Anonymousreply 20606/23/2013

[quote]Because some people are aware that there is a best a mixed message being sent. If a GWTW wedding is taboo? What about all of the GWTW collectible items? Should you be able to sue if your employer collects GWTW dolls?

Why do you keep calling it a GWTW wedding? GWTW is not mentioned in the complaint nor the deposition. And if you can't see the difference between collecting GWTW memorabilia and wanting to have black servers dressed as slaves at a wedding reception, I don't know what to tell you.

by Anonymousreply 20706/23/2013

[quote]however an old woman from the south admits that 30 years ago she used a racial slur and they fire her? well that makes sense.

It makes sense when you have the reading comprehension of a brain-damaged infant.

For the rest of us, this isn't merely about something she said thirty years ago. If you honestly believe she was fired over that, then I should imagine you're currently wearing a helmet.

by Anonymousreply 20806/23/2013

ROTFLMAO, r208!

by Anonymousreply 20906/23/2013

Hopefully all of this controversy will force the Food Network to re-evaluate its current "celebrity chefs" and maybe return to being concerned with actually *food*. Does anyone here know if the Cooking Channel is any better with regards to its talent?

by Anonymousreply 21006/23/2013

With all due respect r208, if you're just following this story in the news, their angle is Paula Deen said the n word. No one is talking about the other aspects of the case. In fact it wasn't until deep into this thread that people started discussing that this wasn't just a case about the n word. Don't blame the posters, blame the way corporate media spins shit.

by Anonymousreply 21106/23/2013

[quote]For the rest of us, this isn't merely about something she said thirty years ago. If you honestly believe she was fired over that, then I should imagine you're currently wearing a helmet.

You belittle people and suggest she was fired over something else, yet you're unable to tell us. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 21206/23/2013

R211, the media also forgot to ask questions about why we were going into Iraq or why Cheney and the rest continued to connect Saddam to Bin Laden when anyone familiar with the situation knew it to be patently false, so I doubt they'd be even more fastidious when it comes to Paula Deen.

by Anonymousreply 21306/23/2013

Here is a link to Paula Deen's entire deposition:

by Anonymousreply 21406/23/2013

[quote]You belittle people and suggest she was fired over something else, yet you're unable to tell us. Interesting.

Says the person who thinks people not being allowed to use the same bathroom based on epidermis is analogous to people not being allowed to use the same bathroom based on gender.

by Anonymousreply 21506/23/2013

And here is a link to the full complaint filed against Paula and her brother. If even half of this is true, brother Bubba is a real piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 21606/23/2013

Look if you can't or won't take the time to educate yourself about the story, don't blame other posters because you don't know what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 21706/23/2013

[quote]the person who thinks people not being allowed to use the same bathroom based on epidermis is analogous to people not being allowed to use the same bathroom based on gender.

Both are arbitrary cultural practices that have different degrees of acceptance/rejection by the public. But you do seem to be the type who doesn't understand the term "arbitrary."

by Anonymousreply 21806/23/2013

Thank you R214/R216.

It will be interesting to see what other excuses they come up with.

by Anonymousreply 21906/23/2013

R65, that is interesting. I had no idea the woman was white. Now, how should this be handled? Should the woman win the case on racial discrimination? I believe that's part of the lawsuit, right? That it was a hostile work environment due to racist and sexist attitudes? So, ok, Paula's a racist. Her former and/or current employees of color can bring suit against her and they will have a strong case. But I don't think the work environment was hostile for this particular woman because she's white. Show me the proof of sexual harassment. That's the relevant issue in this case.

Obviously, everything Paula did was terrible and she should have been fired for it. I can forgive the racial epithets uttered decades' ago. It was a different time, blah blah blah. I can't quite get past the wedding plans from 2007. Again, though, how does this woman have a case based on race?

by Anonymousreply 22006/23/2013

R212: Does it really have to be explained to you that the lawsuit against her and the behavior exhibited *wasn't* 30 years ago? Well, I guess it does need to be explained to you since you defend it.

by Anonymousreply 22106/23/2013

So r221, you STILL can't tell us why she should be fired. Besides, r212 didn't say anything about "30 years ago," the post he quoted did.

by Anonymousreply 22206/23/2013

R222 you have a lot of passion for a case you claim to know nothing about.

Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 22306/23/2013

Yet in the movie Dhango the N-word is used 113 times.

by Anonymousreply 22406/23/2013

Ooh, there's a video of Miss Deen performing a sex act on a chocolate eclair. Omg, you couldn't make this stuff up! I just read one of the linked stories that said Deen and the plaintiff were both held in contempt for failing to turn over a nasty video in which Paula curses and then fellates a chocolate eclair. So maybe now we're getting to the real reasons behind the firing.

She is a nasty pig, really. I bet there are a lot of inappropriate videos of her doing stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 22506/23/2013

r222 stop being so dense.

Many TV shows don't get picked up for worse reasons. She wasn't "fired" from her only job. Her TV show wasn't picked up when her contract expired. She had no right to have it renewed.

TV and all mass media play to mass audiences. The network would be foolish to renew her at that price and have to explain why it associates with her when all the other crap comes rolling out and her numbers drop. It's business.

And she's a bad businessperson to think this shit wouldn't come out. At least she should fire her publicist and lawyer for letting her admit what she did without a plan.

And if she's a GWTW fan, she'll pull a comeback.

After all, tomorrow is another day.

by Anonymousreply 22606/23/2013

Have not seen the MSNBC story...have others reported seeing the black/white restrooms? Are there any photos of the restrooms? Could it be that they were employee/customer restrooms?

by Anonymousreply 22706/23/2013

I wonder if R212 and the others were this vociferous in Isaiah Washington's defense when he got fired for pretty much the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 22806/23/2013

And the sheer stupidity of some people on this thread continues to astound.

R221, her contract was not renewed. Do you comprehend how business works? The company was under NO obligation to make a new contract with Deen. Do you understand that? She wasn't fired. Food Network just decided not to continue their relationship with her.

Even if Food Network had decided to pull her off the air and just pay out Deen's contract, that would have been their right.

Or is it only Deen's "freedom of speech" you care about?

by Anonymousreply 22906/23/2013

I was wondering about that, too, but it specifically states black and white "employees" used separate bathrooms. No mention of customers.

by Anonymousreply 23006/23/2013

if she used the words a long time ago and has since reformed, i wouldn't have a problem with this, but teh wanting to use an all black staff at a plantation style wedding was from 2007, so in my view that is proof that she was racist in the past and racist still.

by Anonymousreply 23106/23/2013

[quote][R222] you have a lot of passion for a case you claim to know nothing about.

I don't see any "passion" in r222 who just made a single post. Were you referring to some other post?

by Anonymousreply 23206/23/2013

After reading the complaint, I understand why FN didnt' renew Deen's contract.

But why the fuck does CNN have to make it all about using the word nigger in the privacy of Deen's home?

CNN's slant is disingenuos.

by Anonymousreply 23306/23/2013

Most people aren't going to read the complaint, so you're going to end up with Paula Deen was fired for saying 'nigger'. Which is going to only create more racial tension, because some beloved old white lady who makes comfort food was fired 'because of them blacks'. It's awful.

by Anonymousreply 23406/23/2013

Typing in caps conveys passion, R232. It's not necessarily about the number of posts.

by Anonymousreply 23506/23/2013

W&W for R226 :)

She'll never go hungry again!

by Anonymousreply 23606/23/2013

Agreed, R234; it's apparent people aren't interested in reading the complaint but sure have reactions to what they think they know, which is really very little about the case.

by Anonymousreply 23706/23/2013

[quote]But why the fuck does CNN have to make it all about using the word nigger in the privacy of Deen's home?

Because CNN officially sucks.

by Anonymousreply 23806/23/2013

It's hilarious that white Southerners are making her out to be a martyr.

by Anonymousreply 23906/23/2013

R233, because nothing inflames the passions of people in this country like the issue of race. Look at the OJ Simpson and Trayvon Martin case. Racial topics equals big ratings for the media. You notice the media isn't mentioning the sexual harassment claims the plantiff accuses Paula's brother of but all the emphasis is on Paula using the N word? Networks like Fox News love stories like this to exploit because it panders to their already angry and hostile white viewers. MSNBC will have their resident race-baiters like Al Sharpton and Toure to gets blacks riled up. We are gullible, we fall for the bait and allow the media to create more anger and division.

by Anonymousreply 24006/23/2013

I think she should've been off the air once the diabetes thing came to light, then she tries to profit off of that.

Are people really stupid enough to fall for the "sweet southern" bullshit?

She's a deceitful, greedy sack of shit.

by Anonymousreply 24106/23/2013

R200 We can only hope. I think that you should write to Viacom and request it.

by Anonymousreply 24206/23/2013

I read the complaint and she alleges Paula Deen allowed Bubba and other men (including her sons) to behave badly. The only direct accusation she makes against Paula Deen is the plantation wedding incident. The "massage" incident will probably be explained away. I've heard worse terms for sucking up to people. The plantation incident is bad because of the N word.

Mostly the case is about Bubba and other men in the corporation being engaged in some awfully flagrant sex discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 24306/23/2013

Heh, I had the Food Network on this morning. My regularly scheduled programmed was Paula Deen, according to my cable provider's schedule, but it appears FN has yanked the show off the air. Instead they showed a rerun of some "chef" I never heard of. Followed by Paula Deen's son's show.

by Anonymousreply 24406/23/2013

[quote] I had no idea the woman was white. Now, how should this be handled? Should the woman win the case on racial discrimination?

In the first Deen thread, it's noted that the woman is biracial, but appears white. I can only assume she felt doubly insulted.

Is her apology video still up on Youtube? I'm flummoxed She may have cooked her entire case there. She asks for forgiveness and acknowledges wrongs in the past. It sounds like she just handed the plaintiff $1.2M [italic]after[/italic] all of the grief she has given herself.

This whole fiasco has been nothing but an exercise in Deen Team stupidity. Sorry, there are no constitutionals protections to keep dumb, greedy, ignorant, racist assholes from cannibalizing themselves. There really aren't.

Freedom of Speech seems to have become a concept whereby ignorant, uncivilized people feel they can express whatever jumps into their little minds without consequence. Whatever became of the concept of "personal responsibility" for one's own actions rather than blaming any and all before scrutinizing oneself?

by Anonymousreply 24506/23/2013

Quote:

It turns out that Paula Deen may not have just been racist twice (first when she used the n-word to describe a black man who held her at gunpoint, then when she wanted tap-dancing black men dressed as slaves to cater a wedding). She may have been racist at least three, or even four times, according to a lawsuit filed by her former employees. (Maybe — gasp — she might have been racist at All The Times?)

The Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, a prominent civil rights group, told The Huffington Post that Deen’s employees had repeatedly experienced serious racial discrimination — the kind that actually violates federal equal opportunity law:

[An attorney for Rainbow/PUSH] said one current and two former employees told him white employees are routinely paid more than black employees and are promoted more quickly. A black man who had threatened to go to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission said Deen’s brother told him “you don’t have any civil rights here,” Rainbow/PUSH said in a press release.

Rainbow/PUSH said it has “found evidence of systemic racial discimination and harassment” by Deen and that “a family member consistently referred to a black cook as ‘my little monkey.’”

Patillo, who conducted interviews in Savannah where Deen’s restaurant is located, said current and former employees told him that Deen “preferred white and light-skinned blacks to work with customers” and that darker-skinned blacks were relegated to “back-of-the-house operations.”

If this is true (and keep in mind, these are still allegations at this point), this makes Deen’s admitted use of the “n-word” more than just the jokes she claimed they were in her deposition — it’s systematic and abhorrent racism.

Read more at ONTD: Oh No They Didn't! - Civil Rights Group Alleges Paula Deen Referred To Black Employee As

by Anonymousreply 24606/23/2013

This has been said, butt it was quite a ways back. I really want to reiterate this. I was born and raised in the south. I am on the young end of the Boomer generation so I saw the tail ends of the Jim Crow south and all the terrible things which went with that. I would like to say resoundingly I haVE NEVER SAID THE WORD N*GG** AND IT WAS NEVER SAID IN MY HOME. Hell yes my family was the average level of bigoted, so I'm not defending them as do gooders or saints. But to use the n word would have been so beneath their class and bearings...NEVAH! I honestly think that Black people doubt that any white folks have lived their entire lives without using it, but that's because they know what they see in movies and popular culture and just assume. I tell my Black friends to stop grading people by their use or lack of use of the word. My father was a bigoted as Lester Maddox, but he used the words Uncle, Colored and Negro always. Didn't make him a good man. Just meant he was raised a certain way. Eminem uses the n word frequently. He was raised in a very poor environment and nearly all his friends were Black. I will guarantee he is way less bigoted or even racist than my family who spoke kindly to and treated their household staff beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 24706/23/2013

Eminem N E V E R uses the n-word in his music. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 24806/23/2013

"Seems like an overreaction to me."

Try saying/doing those things and see how long you'd last at work.

by Anonymousreply 24906/23/2013

And now it appears QVC might be getting rid of her too.

by Anonymousreply 25006/23/2013

Exactly, r250, who are these loons that think talking that way is not going to have consequences!

by Anonymousreply 25106/23/2013

Yet he feels free to trash everyone else, r249. Eminem would feel at home here.

by Anonymousreply 25306/23/2013

I don't believe that I specified where or when Marshall Mathers might use the word. Maybe he has never used it. I did not mean to demean him. I was only trying to make the point that simply judging someone as fair and free of bigotry by NOT using the word was a fallacious method. I agree that whites who use the N word in conversation are surely bigoted. I'm just saying that whites who DON'T use the word are not free from the suspicion of bigotry. R249

by Anonymousreply 25406/23/2013

Posted earlier here or on another thread a few days ago that I liked her humor the few times I've seen her, and she seemed like a sweet lady from whom I got a Liberal Democrat vibe. The allegations seemed suspicious to me.

But as I read about more allegations and her other comments in the past, I'm afraid, unfortunately, that she just another Southern bigot who doesn't get it.

The link below convinces me. I've met too many other white southerners who relocated to the Bay Area bring their distorted views about slavery try to sort of defend it like she does here. Pretty fucking shocking. Now I bet she's a Republican, too.

by Anonymousreply 25506/23/2013

It's not an over reaction, OP. The Food Network shows are all basically warm fuzzies lifestyle shows built around the concept of how these celeb chef do it at home among family and friends.

Paula Deen's behavior damaged the image of the "Hi y'all" southern hospitality brand the Food Network was selling. Attempts to compare her to other entertainers who may well be equally offensive miss the mark because the fail to consider the product being sold.

In the case of Paula Deen the product being sold was most definitely not an ugly southern racist.

by Anonymousreply 25606/23/2013

I hate it when songs I like have the n-word in them. I feel like I'm being offensive listening to them or something.

by Anonymousreply 25706/23/2013

Jamie Deen recently Tweeted his thanks to all of Paula's fans

by Anonymousreply 25806/23/2013

I posted earlier, asking whether Lisa Jackson could claim racial discrimination in this case. That's actually addressed in the lawsuit itself.

Now that I've read the whole thing, I think she can claim distress over the racial discrimination. Her staff was mostly black and she was close to some of them. As their supervisor, she felt like she was failing them when she tried and failed to bring about real change for them. It also aounds like she really did try to do right by them, at least according to that suit. Now, I just hope that the other staff members are compensated.

Savannah is known for holding on to the old Southern ways so none of this surprises me. I am surprised it took this long for someone to sue.

by Anonymousreply 25906/23/2013

Savannah has old south charm, but separate restrooms is taking it a little far, no?

by Anonymousreply 26006/23/2013

How's Bobby taking it? Does he need a consolation blow job?

by Anonymousreply 26106/23/2013

Regardless her brand has been based off hypocrisy. Food Network did the right thing because they would have lost advertising money.

by Anonymousreply 26206/23/2013

R202 is right. There are far worse people on FN, namely Guy Ferry (now Fieri) and Ins Garten.

by Anonymousreply 26306/23/2013

Does the Food Network serve any purpose at all?

The entire network needs to go away!

Guy, Ina, Alton, and Paula! What a toxic brew from the Food Network.

by Anonymousreply 26406/23/2013

Food Network is too cartoony.The coolest people are Ann Burell and Sunny Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 26506/23/2013

I read the complaint, too. A clarification about the separate restrooms. All that is alleged is that the African American staff members had to use the staff bathroom, but that the white employees could also use the customer bathroom, too. So, apparently the white staffers got a choice but the black staffers did not.

by Anonymousreply 26606/24/2013

R264, was his name Guy Ferry? He is another piece of shit. I read a story that alleged he was notoriously homophobic. He will keep his job, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 26706/24/2013

[quote]yet she apparently doesn't understand why having black servers dressed as slaves at a plantation theme wedding reception

Uhm, she had them wearing jackets... and bow ties....you know....like WAITERS!

"Dressed as slaves"! Boy are some of you people hysterics!

by Anonymousreply 26806/24/2013

Yes, R269, but the main reason she wanted a wait-staff comprised entirely of black people was that the event was specifically designed to evoke a by-gone era where black people were slaves. Slaves who worked indoors were often well-dressed by their masters.

by Anonymousreply 26906/24/2013

yet another loser at r269 who seems to have a lot invested in an issue he claims is minor.

by Anonymousreply 27006/24/2013

Her 15 minutes were over anyway. She's fat, looking haggard, it's come out that she's been hiding her diabetes for years, while cooking with sugar and white flour, recipes that are not healthy for anybody.

The Food Channel is getting a whole lot more from the publicity of this scandal (and their "righteous" action of firing her) than whatever life was still left in her tired old show.

Good riddance! Maybe she and Sarah Palin can co-host a talk show like The View on Fox News. Maybe they'll even let them use the N word as much as they want to! Think of the publicity THAT would bring? Ann Coulter would be another excellent panelist on their paleo-Conservative show!

And I think Michelle Bachmann maybe looking for a new job?

by Anonymousreply 27106/24/2013

Did she actually have the plantation wedding or not? All I'm hearing is that it was an idea.

by Anonymousreply 27206/24/2013

You should try reading instead of hearing, R273.

by Anonymousreply 27306/24/2013

Have you tried her recipe for Confederate Bean Soup?

by Anonymousreply 27406/24/2013

[bold]R15[/bold],

I don't jokingly call anyone a "fag."

It's not a term of endearment.

In fact, most of the people I see using it don't mean well. (And yes, I'm referring to [italic]the context[/italic].)

by Anonymousreply 27506/24/2013

According to The LA Times: Ratings for Paula Deen, who was booted off the Food Network last week after it was revealed that she has used racial epithets, had taken a big dip this year before the controversy errupted. According to Nielsen, the audience for "Paula's Favorite Dishes" had shrunk almost 25% in 2013 to 835,000 viewers from 1.1 million viewers in 2012. It was a similar story among the 25-54 demographic, which was her show's sweet spot. In that category, Dean's numbers fell 32% from 446,000 viewers last year to 304,000 this year. Though Deen is one of the network's most visible personalities, "Paula's Favorite Dishes" is far from Food Network's highest rated shows. "Food Network Star" averages close to 3 million viewers and "Rachel vs. Guy" averages 2.2 million viewers.

by Anonymousreply 27606/24/2013

They're now saying Smithfield has dropped her.

by Anonymousreply 27706/24/2013

[quote]Seems like an overreaction to me.

But if she had been saying "faggot" all hell would've broke loose on here.

Gotta love how white gays let their racism and hypocrisy slip out.

by Anonymousreply 27806/24/2013

She was an unhealthy heifer who should've been off the air a long time ago for being a big fat fucking liar pushing garbage that's killing this country.

by Anonymousreply 27906/24/2013

R277 Just one more example of why it was time for her old has-been ass to go. Out with the old, in with the new.

by Anonymousreply 28006/24/2013

It always seems like an overreaction to selfish hypocritical assholes who were no doubt calling for Washington's head for using "faggot."

Some of you truly lack introspection. If you're defending her and think it's nothing, then you better be prepared to say your reaction was the same with Washington.

by Anonymousreply 28106/24/2013

[quote] but the main reason she wanted a wait-staff comprised entirely of black people was that the event was specifically designed to evoke a by-gone era where black people were slaves

Argh!!! Again, do you really think all of those black servants in 1930s musicals were slaves? There was a restaurant in LA called Hamburger Hamlet that had an all black waitstaff well into the 1970s. Having black servants was a sign of prestige well after the Civil war- well into the 20th century.

If anything, you comment is offensive, because you seem to equate black people with slaves, period.

And, by the way, Plantations did not just disappear after the Civil War either. Plantation, does not automatically mean "antebellum".

by Anonymousreply 28206/24/2013

R283 Do you know how to read? She HERSELF said that she wanted black men dressed as slaves for a wedding and added that she got the idea from a restaurant where the entire staff were middle-aged black men.

[quote]“I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America…after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War…It was not only black men, it was black women…I would say they were slaves.”

So basically she's saying she sees black people serving white people as slaves and people beneath her.

by Anonymousreply 28306/24/2013

Her new book 'feeding the entire klan for under $7 per hood' will be a massive sensation. I smell a Pulitzer!

by Anonymousreply 28406/24/2013

Yes, R268.

If he's insecure enough to change his last name from Ferry, you can only imagine that he's every bit the homophobic douche his coworkers claim.

FN is displaying their usual selective outrage. As R277 suggests, this is probably as much about ratings as anything else.

by Anonymousreply 28506/24/2013

I'll never go to her restaurants. I was always pretty sure she was a racist and a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 28606/24/2013

The real "lesson" here is that if you want to maintain your position in life and your livelihood, you should LIE under oath about past transgressions. Great lesson..... She should have been commended for being open and honest enough to acknowledge what she ONCE did.

by Anonymousreply 28706/24/2013

[quote]She should have been commended for being open and honest enough to acknowledge what she ONCE did.

Did you capitalize "ONCE" to emphasize what a moron you are?

I'm genuinely embarrassed by the level of stupidity of people like you. Just embarrassing.

At least tell me you're Canadian or something.

by Anonymousreply 28806/24/2013

r288, she probably should have just phased it differently to start with. Her first words were "of course..." She instead could have said, "Regretfully, I have. I came from a time and place where that was common, but thankfully I learned along the way that words like that can cause the PC people to squawk, so I say 'colored' now. I love all the colored folks that work for me."

by Anonymousreply 28906/24/2013

She's a cunt but Kobe gets away and is LOVED for saying faggot ever other word.

Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 29006/24/2013

r291 one person's transgressions do not mitigate or have anything to do with someone else's.

There's no sliding scale for bigoted fuckwits, okay?

by Anonymousreply 29106/24/2013

R288 Actually the real lesson here is that a large percentage of the population (including you) is illiterate so they can't read the civil suit complaint or Deen's deposition. Unfortunately these same people are the most vocal. They have no factual knowledge but continue to spew ignorance. Thanks R288 for keeping that trend going.

by Anonymousreply 29206/24/2013

I grew up in the south and I've always thought she reminded me of those old trashy, racist dames. She's just trailer trash with new money.

Yes, she's a racist. Even now trying to explain herself she sounds like a clueless racist. But she loves her bodyguard/chauffeur like a son. Of course, if that were true she'd have made sure he wasn't still a fucking manservant at probably shitty wages.

The lawsuit details are so typical of these broads and her Bubba brother. She was either stupid not to settle or arrogant or still has no clue what is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 29306/24/2013

" For the love of God! Would someone please shit in my mouth! "

by Anonymousreply 29406/24/2013

R291 Let me share my post with you from one of the other threads. Her use of the word is not the central issue of the civil suit. It is simply the one element that the media found provocative and controversial enough to boost their own ratings. As far as professional athletes; they say and do many stupid things. They often don't lose their jobs because their jobs don't depend upon selling a family friendly docile image. Their endorsements however often times do. Therefore they may often continue to play the sport. People expect athletes to be dumb jocks. However they often loose endorsements. Tiger Woods is a good example. He lost endorsements because of his behavior off the field. The Food Network didn't pull her show because they care about black people. They pulled her show because the damage to Paula's image hurts their bottom line. They don't want to risk loosing advertisers. Paula Deen's brand is dependent upon a very family friendly motherly image. Her brand is not based upon the strength of her cooking skills. It is based upon her personality which translates into an image. Most anyone's mother or grandmother can cook the simple foods that she cooks. It is nothing new or brilliant or innovative. What anyone's mother or grandmother can't do is project for the cameras the way that Paula Deen does. She is all personality and image. Without that there is no business. Can please stop trying use this as an illustration of the overreaction to racism and an under reaction to homphobia.

by Anonymousreply 29506/24/2013

[quote] Does anyone here know if the Cooking Channel is any better with regards to its talent?

Yes -- my favorites are: Nigella Lawson, Laura Calder, Anne Burrell, Mark Bittman, Alton Brown, Ina Garten -- & some British & Latina women whose names I'm not quite sure of. All reruns, but all fun & interesting.

by Anonymousreply 29606/24/2013

[quote] People expect athletes to be dumb jocks.

And you're under the impression r296 that the public has higher expectations for Paula Deen's intellect?

by Anonymousreply 29706/24/2013

r292, r291 called her a cunt so how does that make him a racist? You obviously over use "racist" so much that the word is deluded to you.

by Anonymousreply 29806/24/2013

W&W for R240

by Anonymousreply 29906/24/2013

R98 No I don't. However the behavior deemed acceptable for a dumb jock athlete is very different the behavior deemed acceptable for a 60+ idiotic grandmother. Sports such as football are mean, violent and hypermasculine. They are not dependent upon selling a wholesome motherly/grandmotherly based image. Their beer advertisers are not worried about the players projection of a necessarily wholesome image. The ticket and merchandise sales are not dependent upon the players projection of a motherly/grandmotherly image. Basically, Paula can be and is dumb as dishwater. The public knows this and they enjoy it. However she cannot be mean or unwholesome.

by Anonymousreply 30006/24/2013

So the "mean or unwholesome" get a pass for being bigots and using faggot in daily conversation, r301?

by Anonymousreply 30106/24/2013

R302 As far as corporate greed goes they both get a pass until it hurts the bottom line. The reaction is based upon the amount of money involved.

by Anonymousreply 30206/24/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 30306/26/2013

No one

Guess Treyvon Martin used the term cracker. At least according to his girlfriend.

You are creating a false equivalency, no doubt aided by your good friends at Faux Noise who specialize in that sort of thing.

1. It's not okay to call people "cracker" and it never has been.

2. Who the fuck calls anyone a "cracker" anyway?

3. The "N" word is worse and it will always be worse.

by: Realitytreply 21t06/21/2013 @ 05:48PM

by Anonymousreply 30406/26/2013

Matt Lauer was vicious. Even when she was clearly distraught he just kept on badgering her.

by Anonymousreply 30506/26/2013

Matt and Paula are going by way of the Dodo soon.

by Anonymousreply 30606/26/2013

[quote] 2. Who the fuck calls anyone a "cracker" anyway?

That's a pretty common term in Florida. It may show bias - in fact it usually does - but there's no equivalency.

by Anonymousreply 30706/26/2013

Kobe's a cunt. Okay now?

by Anonymousreply 30806/26/2013

Even Walmart's dropped her.

by Anonymousreply 30906/26/2013

[quote]Last fall, I visited the New York Times headquarters to see Paula Deen talk with Times reporter Kim Severson on a variety of topics. When I wrote it up, I focused mostly on her comments about her diabetes, because Deen's endorsement of the diabetes drug Victoza was still hot news. But I also briefly mentioned a strange segment of the talk in which she talked about Southern attitudes toward race. Today, all this talk of her recent racist comments spurred me to revisit the video of the TimesTalk. It's really shocking stuff. Watch the video at the top of this entry for our race-related highlights.

Paula Deen Allegedly Makes Racist Comments

by Anonymousreply 31106/26/2013

I bet she gets a new cooking show on a "Christian" station, or that country music channel. Bet it happens within six months.

Lots of people approve of her behavior, and don't care if 1%-ers abuse their employees, and coincidentally they also tend to like nostalgia about the Old South and unhealthy food.

by Anonymousreply 31206/26/2013

r314, your act got annoying years ago.

by Anonymousreply 31406/26/2013

Oh, for fuck's sake, R296. The word is "lose" not "loose." One does not loose one's job.

by Anonymousreply 31506/26/2013

what's the story with her teeth? they look so fake. is she wearing dentures?

by Anonymousreply 31606/26/2013

I think it was her low blood sugar.

by Anonymousreply 31706/26/2013

" For the love of God! Would someone tell Chris Christie to please shit in my mouth! "

by Anonymousreply 31806/26/2013

The aspect of this that has not been discussed is that the people in the South who used the n-word were the lower class. The middle and above would say "colored" as in Natl Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Her use reflects a lower class rearing. What I choke over is all the use of the N-Word by African Americans and no one seems to chastise them.

by Anonymousreply 31906/26/2013

No, r320, everyone chastises blacks for using the N word, especially when the racist attitudes and behavior of a white person comes to light.

They are really two separate conversations. The question I have is: why would any white person WANT to use the word? And that's the one nobody can ever seem to answer.

by Anonymousreply 32006/26/2013

r320 here. No decent white person I know does use the n-word. It just isn't done, never has been acceptable among my crowd. But Lord the blacks seem to take a pleasure in using it in the presence of a white person.

by Anonymousreply 32106/26/2013

[quote] What I choke over is all the use of the N-Word by African Americans and no one seems to chastise them.

It's not your place to chastise them. When a word has been used to try to destroy a segment of our population then it's their business if they want to take that word and make it mean something else for themselves.

Sort of like the word bitch with women. Sometimes I'll use it but a man better never use it with me or in front of me. Cause I'll cut that bitch, excuse me, I meant I will ask him politely to refrain from such vulgar sexist talk.

I just listened to a news segment where some "analyst" suggested she transition the business over to her sons? Really? Who gives a shit about them? It was her personality that sold the brand - not that I can figure out why - she's an annoying bitch. Um, um I mean human being.

by Anonymousreply 32206/26/2013

r322 in what world? Do you know black people who do this? I'm black, I use the word, and would NEVER use it around white friends. What I'm more curious about is how Paula Deen's racism is somehow the fault of black people, like EVERYTHING else in the world apparently.

by Anonymousreply 32306/26/2013

And now Target's dropped her too.

by Anonymousreply 32406/27/2013

Martha Stewart had no comment when asked about the issue.

by Anonymousreply 32506/27/2013

The drug company Novo-Disk dropped her too

by Anonymousreply 32606/27/2013

r322 here. I live in the South. I hear the N-word all the time from blacks, not just in my presence. It is pervasive among them. Informal talk.

by Anonymousreply 32706/27/2013

Anthony Bourdain twats: I am “continuing to monitor the situation”.

by Anonymousreply 32806/27/2013

NovoDisk didn't drop her, but they have "suspended" her contract.

by Anonymousreply 32906/27/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 33006/27/2013

Walmart, Target, Sears, The Food Channel, QVC, Smithfield, Home Depot, Caesars, Novo Nordisk, etc. Paula Deen is a greedy scrumbag. How many product endorsements does one person need? She's millionaire already, does she really need her face plastered all over Christendom?

Go away racist bitch.

by Anonymousreply 33106/27/2013

I wanna see her cry some more. Or fake cry like she does.

by Anonymousreply 33206/28/2013

Upthread or on a different thread someone astutely compared Paula Deen to a Southern belle (I'm willing to believe that younger, and thinner, she was attractive.)

So, submitted for your opinion: is there perhaps a BIT of a correlation between Scarlett O'Hara: "...I'll think about that tomorrow; tomorrow is another day!"

and:

"I is what I is and I'm not changing!"

(maybe? kinda? sorta?)

by Anonymousreply 33306/28/2013

The very first smart thing Paula Deen has done is hire the real life Olivia Pope, Judy Smith. She is the black female fixer that the show Scandal is based on.

by Anonymousreply 33406/28/2013

Judy Smith is a whore. She'll take anyone's money. She should be ashamed of herself for helping this racist bitch salvage herself.

People forget how she gleefully ran down the hall at the US Attorney's office to feed the tape of Marion Barry's arrest to the salivating press.

It's not going to help her. She's done.

by Anonymousreply 33506/28/2013

Personally I never particularly liked listening to or looking at that blowsy bleached blonde over the hill one woman freak show. But her meatloaf recipe is killer.

Be gone, Paula Deen, you will not be missed.

by Anonymousreply 33606/28/2013

R328 I live in the South (NC) and I am black. You apparently know more about black people than I do. The black people that I know rarely if ever use the word and I personally don't. However gain you apparently are the expert here on we black people and I am not.

by Anonymousreply 33706/28/2013

There's a difference between being racist and being racially insensitive.

by Anonymousreply 33806/28/2013

WEHT Don Imus?

by Anonymousreply 33906/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 34006/28/2013

Her publisher just dropped her.

by Anonymousreply 34106/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 34206/28/2013

Middle America are such suckers. They'd probably still fall for Nixon's Checkers speech.

by Anonymousreply 34406/28/2013

"I is what I is!"

So now she's a racist Popeye?-Joel McHale

by Anonymousreply 34506/28/2013

Lots of issues it seems.

by Anonymousreply 34606/30/2013

I just checked her out on Amazon and that woman has many, many books! How does she find the time to write them all, lol.

by Anonymousreply 34706/30/2013

I don't want to be fired, I want to be fried!!

by Anonymousreply 34807/02/2013

The dude who robbed her at gunpoint all those years ago recently spoke out, saying he's sorry for what he did to her all those years ago, that he's a changed man and that he feels like it's all his fault what's happening with her now.

by Anonymousreply 34907/02/2013

Anyone else read this subject as "Paula Deen Fried"?

by Anonymousreply 35007/02/2013

R350, do you have a link? Do you think he is trying to cash in?

by Anonymousreply 35107/03/2013

Here's the link, R352. By the way, I don't think he's looking for a pay day.

by Anonymousreply 35207/03/2013

Paula has now, finally, fired her legal team. Her new team is headed by an African American woman from a D.C. law firm.

by Anonymousreply 35307/12/2013

Bobby Deen married last weekend.Tried posting a link but it was rejected.

by Anonymousreply 35407/19/2013

Let me revise that, the Monument in Berlin is to the murdered Jews of Europe, but, as I recall, the museum below the monument acknowledges that others were oppressed and exterminated, and across the street there is a Monument to commemorate the Holocaust's persecution of gay people - just as in Amsterdam there is a memorial to the Nazi persecution of gay people.

by Anonymousreply 35507/27/2013

Of course it's an overreaction. She didn't discriminate against gays.

by Anonymousreply 35607/27/2013

NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Perfectly reasonable response to the utter barbarity Deen has committed.

by Anonymousreply 35707/27/2013

Yeah, she can commiserate over her utter barbarity with that black guy who was fired from Gray's Anatomy. What's his name again?

by Anonymousreply 35807/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.