Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do realtors go out of their way to stage a home when trying to sell it?

I'm apartment/condo shopping right now, and, for me, looking at someone else's cheap furniture does nothing to enhance the appeal...just the opposite, in fact. I much rather view an empty space and imagine how I wouud furnish and decorate it.

by Anonymousreply 3706/22/2013

I totally agree with you..I guess most people lack the imagination we have.

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2013

I dont understand it as well. I always thought that an empty room looks a lot bigger than one with furniture. But others insist the opposite is true. There was no furniture in the house I bought when I first looked at it. That didnt stop me from making a full price offer then and there.

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2013

it depends...if you're selling a 1.1 million dollar condo, you spend $10K staging it to fit the desired demographic.

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2013

I like to look at an empty house, too. Most people have horrible taste in furniture. I'd much rather look at a place with painted walls, too. There's at least half a chance I'll like them, whereas white walls just depress me.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

Agree. So sick of the cookies on the oven ploy too. No one buys a house because it smells like fresh baked cookies.

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

Would you buy a house if it smelled like it had a batch of crystal meth cooking on the stove, r5?

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

Funny story: partner and I are selling our condo in Old Town, Alexandria, VA. According to our realtor, during an open house, a couple asked who staged the apartment since it is so beautiful. Apparently, they did not believe her when she told them it was not staged but that is the way the owners live!

I don't know whether to be insulted or happy. We do have expensive furniture and art work, but I was shocked to think someone thought it was staged.

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

R7 Whoever taught you how to do the backdoor brag should have clued you into the meaning of the word subtle.

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

R7 was tragic.

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

BTW, have other gay people not heard of detached housing? It's really quite nice, but everyone on here seems to be apartment dwellers.

by Anonymousreply 1006/21/2013

R8, "backdoor brag." Thanks. I knew it had to have a name.

by Anonymousreply 1106/21/2013

R10 So?

by Anonymousreply 1206/21/2013

It's also called a humblebrag.

by Anonymousreply 1306/21/2013

R12. Something about living in shared walled housing seems so pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 1406/21/2013

r14, something about being so aspirational about detached housing vs. shared wall housing seems so 20th century bourgeoisie. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2013

R10 The only time the word apartment appears on this thread is in OP's post. How you came to the conclusion everyone here lives in an apartment is puzzling.

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2013

R14 has no clue how much "shared walled housing" is worth.

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2013

I like R15.

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013

R15. Why on earth would you live that close to complete strangers? Every single city on earth has proper houses.

R17. As much as they might be worth, a standalone house will likely be worth more and you don't have to deal with perfect strangers crowding your space.

by Anonymousreply 1906/21/2013

R19 R14 R10 R9, as much as I would like to argue with you based exclusively on your inherent snobbery, I'll go for the practical. Just in the few months I've partaken of DL, I've heard far worse stories of fights developing between neighbors in the suburban culs-de-sac and boulevards you so cherish than anything I've experienced since moving to an apartment.

by Anonymousreply 2006/21/2013

I do not want to hear ANY daily living sounds from neighbors in too close proximity.

This would include water usage, conversation, or fucking.

by Anonymousreply 2106/21/2013

Thank you r21, worse yet would be smelling what they are cooking, cigarette smoke, etc

by Anonymousreply 2206/21/2013

You must have lived in some crappy apartments, R22 et al. I can't smell a thing. I can hear my upstairs neighbors walking around, but they're quite considerate, actually, never wearing shoes.

I think people who live in apartments realize concessions need to be made about certain things, while people who live in single-family houses think they can make all the noise in the world.

I've read a lot more people complaining about smells coming from next-door neighbors' BBQ/grill apparatus in the suburbs than I hear about among apartment dwellers.

And I've seen a couple of different TV infotainment stories about psychos who live across the street from each other and videotape each other all day, every day.

by Anonymousreply 2306/21/2013

I worked briefly as a realtor a few years ago. At one point I had two listings where the spaces were identical. One had Valentine's Day red carpeting throughout and faux walnut wallpaper. Furniture was tacky "Bronx Renaissance." The other was staged in a beige-brown-white color scheme with inexpensive contemporary (Ikea-type) furniture, fresh flowers, with touches like a book near an easy chair and a bowl of oranges on the kitchen table.

The tasteful home sold immediately above the asking price, while the tacky one lingered on the market for months. Lots of people just can't see beyond someone else's bad taste, or even an empty space.

by Anonymousreply 2406/21/2013

R24, which was the tacky and which was the tasteful?

by Anonymousreply 2506/21/2013

Realtors need more clients like R25

by Anonymousreply 2606/21/2013

I loved/hated that staging show with the big roided redhead guy. He threw uplights into every fucking corner and stripped things to spartan levels. What a talent. Cough, cough.

Staging an empty place can be very generic and hotel like. But staging people's homes with their existing decor is very much needed.

You truly can't see past bad furniture and taste sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 2706/21/2013

Sell the sizzle...

When I hired someone to stage my last apartment for sale they employed two effective tricks. Firstly, they didn't bother putting a wardrobe in the master bedroom with the Queen sized bed (my own furniture had made the space feel a bit cramped space too). Instead they hung a huge painting, explaining that most people will realize they need to have a wardrobe but they presume they'll "make it work". Their main goal was to create a welcoming space and to imitate the aspirational lifestyle of my target buyers.

The second trick was in my narrow guest bedroom. There was only really room for a single bed in there but the stagers simulated a double bed using foam rubber as a base HOWEVER they cunningly cut it down bu about 18' all round. making the room dimensions appear more generous. In this way they fooled the eye, giving a false impression that you could fit a larger bed in there.

My apartment sold at auction for a lot more than anyone expected.

Money well-spent.

by Anonymousreply 2806/21/2013

Please excuse the typo's and my poor sub-editing. 18" of course, not 18'.

by Anonymousreply 2906/21/2013

Brown, beige and white would turn me off completely. Blah.

by Anonymousreply 3006/22/2013

What R25 and R30 don't seem get is that it's not about you. Homes staged for sale are purposely neutral so that the buyers can see themselves in the space. If you like bright red carpet, fine, you can put in in after you buy it. If you don't like beige, you can paint it. Somehow it's easier for many people to see themselves in a staged space than in an empty space or through someone else's stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3106/22/2013

Staging is done because it works. If you want to show off your artistic flair while waiting extra months for it to sell, that's fine. If you want results, you do the cookie-cutter way. Staging is not about a personal sense of style. It's about maximizing results, and emotionally reaching a broad array of buyers.

Bread in the oven. No personal photos (potential buyers need to see themselves in the home, not how well the current occupants fit there). Orderliness. Lack of clutter. Appearance of enough space to be comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 3206/22/2013

Many of these houses aren't really staged; they're simply decluttered. The decor you see is a carry-over from the housing boom.

People REQUIRED three bathrooms because of resale value. It carried over to furnishing; nothing is purchased that would offend an accountant with gluten/cotton allergies.

This is why every room is packed with suites in some form of beige and every kitchen is tuscan or white.

What stager would use such small area rugs? What stager would purchase multiple canvas prints? Or the wood triptychs of Buddha? Or the tea light trees? These pieces of shit must be purchased by a buzzed homeowner stumbling through a big box store with credit card in hand.

by Anonymousreply 3306/22/2013

I've sold two homes without doing any staging at all. I didn't want to waste the money because I knew location would be the deciding factor for the buyer. Neither was on the market more than two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 3406/22/2013

I definitely prefer staging. But you've got to have the basics there. No staging is going to help a home with a cramped, unrenovated kitchen, crappy floors, or a tiny bathroom with no window. But staging can definitely enhance the experience for buyers, especially if you or the person staging it has great taste.

by Anonymousreply 3506/22/2013

Staging is a self-fulfilling prophecy for idiots, perpetrated by an industry of stager idiots.

Buyers who have to be handheld and told what every room is are too stupid to live.

"Is this the dining room?"

"Buy the place and it's whatever you want it to be, you dumb bitch. Call it la Galerie de Glaces, la Salon de la Guerre if you like."

[quote] it depends...if you're selling a 1.1 million dollar condo, you spend $10K staging it to fit the desired demographic.

Why? To deter the "undesirable demographics" of people with $210,000 budgets or $2.3 million budgets? Doesn't the asking price accomplish that sort of self-sorting?

On a certain level, I can understand realtors and sellers doing it -- when trying to position one townhouse or condo among many nearly identical townhouses or condos in some favorable light. For more singular properties, it seems entirely unnecessary to import furniture for staging purposes.

The most absurd end is the endless accessorizing. A sparing sampling of large furniture, some rugs, a few mirrors or pictures on the wall can suggest more than the barebones of a furnished house. Why does anyone need to see toothbrushes set out in a $700 Czech & Speake toothbrush holder, or fucking throws draped over every bit of upholstered furniture, or karate-chopped accent cushions, or the artful detritus of imaginary lives?

by Anonymousreply 3606/22/2013

Staging is important because their are people with untrained eyes in seeing details of the interior and exterior of a house.

It is easy to get distracted by any decoration. So unless it's going to bare inside, with just flooring and then kitchen and bath installations -- plus white / off-white / cream / beige walls -- the seller will have a house that looks lived in. And it is, under those circumstances, important to make the rooms eye-appealing and reasonable in taste.

This is having to do with guidance -- to help the prospective buyer see some of the potential of the rooms (along with outside landscaping) and, ultimately, the house. For that strategy to be effectively in moving the house -- to get it sold -- is why it make sense to be staging.

by Anonymousreply 3706/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!