Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Simon Doonan on Speedos ' American's need to get over their Freudian fear of showing off their junk'

Huff Post has interesting piece on why we wear board shorts , instead, and the reasons why ( unless your gay, or European). Do you wear a Speedo ?

by Johnathan Adlerreply 6301/06/2014

Apparently a miracle: an Internet article without a link.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 106/21/2013

I hate when people use "junk" to refer to male genetalia.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 206/21/2013

I recently went to a pool in Germany, and most of the guys were in shorts/board shorts. The only men wearing Speedos were fat and old.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 406/21/2013

Here we go again.

In the '70 everyone wore them and nobody thought anything of it.

Now you're an old weird pervert if you even own a pair.

I prefer the way things were. Everything is dirty now, and shame-based.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 506/21/2013

A link would be nice.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 606/21/2013

No one should wear a Speedo, unless they have 3 things :

Great abs Great legs Great ass

by Johnathan Adlerreply 706/21/2013

I am so sick of board's absurd that this stupid fad has been going on for so long. The designers are the ones at fault, they tell people what to wear.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 806/21/2013

I hate calling my dick and my balls "my junk," too, R2. I never do it, actually.

Where did it start? I only started noticing it a few years ago. I'll bet it comes from either rap culture or rape culture.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 906/21/2013

[quote]I prefer the way things were. Everything is dirty now, and shame-based.

I'd add that everything is sexualized now.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 1006/21/2013

Simon Doonan is a silly old queen. His interview with Raquel Welch is one of the most awkward things I've ever seen.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 1106/21/2013

I don't think it's the fear of "showing your junk". It's the fact that a lot of American men--myself included--are overweight. We are doing humanity a favor by NOT wearing speedos.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 1206/21/2013

It was Slate.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 1306/21/2013

His husband has the body for a speedo.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 1406/21/2013

His husband can't spell his own name, R14. It's Jonathan, OP. No "h."

by Johnathan Adlerreply 1506/21/2013

R 14 Can anyone post a pic of Johnathan Adler in a Speedo ? Never did anything for me, but also didn't realize he had a good body.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 1606/21/2013

R 13 - The article may be in Slate, but spotted it in Huff Post.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 1706/21/2013

by Johnathan Adlerreply 1906/21/2013

Why would anyone wear a Speedo? People don't wear them because they're unfashionable. I don't understand the DL obsession with this issue. People don't like looking ridiculous. Some people on DL, apparently, enjoy looking ridiculous. Let's just respect people's choices.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 2006/21/2013

I am always amazed at how the under-40 group of men at the gym will work relentlessly on their bodies and then take off and put on their underwear under a towel. What are they afraid of? Men have been conditioned to cover-up their penis/balls. I could give a shit about who sees me naked!

by Johnathan Adlerreply 2106/21/2013

I didn't like wearing a Speedo when I [italic]could[/italic] wear a Speedo. I'm a grower.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 2206/21/2013

There's nothing Freudian about it. American men have just been taught that flaunting the junk is too gay. Explains the gym towel dance as well.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 2306/21/2013

R20--Why are they unfashionable in the US while preferred in the rest of the world?

by Johnathan Adlerreply 2406/21/2013

Please, if you have a good body you don't look ridiculous in a speedo. They're hardly equivalent to that green thong Borat wears.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 2506/21/2013

It's not so much a package thing [I also think junk is a terrible word for genitals], as a chicken legs thing.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 2606/21/2013

R24, are you really so insulated from reality that you're unaware that different cultures wear different clothing?

by Johnathan Adlerreply 2706/21/2013

Roberto Cavalli is in pics this week, being hosed down by his GF, on his yacht in Sardenia, wearing a Speedo. The tabloid says it all - " Shield Your Eyes". He's proof of what R 7 says. Pics are vomitious.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 2806/21/2013

I like the breezy, dismissive "junk" for genitals.

Sadly, in real life it seems the people most likely to show off their bodies are not people whose bodies you care to see.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 2906/21/2013

How does wearing board shorts somehow make up for not having abs?

by Johnathan Adlerreply 3006/21/2013

by Johnathan Adlerreply 3106/21/2013

[quote][R24], are you really so insulated from reality that you're unaware that different cultures wear different clothing?

Are you so stupid that you don't realize that is what this thread is about.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 3206/21/2013

At least board shorts are no longer down to the ankle. Today's surfers wear shorts that are just to the knee. I've seen non-surfing guys, in good shape, wearing Speedo square-cuts but have only seen about three regular Speedos -- on older men this month. My house fronts on a sidewalk used by a lot of surfers/swimmers going to the nearby beach so I can see the change in styles from several years ago.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 3306/21/2013

Don't forget--they are not only wearing board shorts but they have underwear beneath.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 3406/21/2013

I dont know if its a fear of showing off junk. I think it may have something to do with the fact that they look so damn uncomfortable. Americans have always been more informal in how we dress, comfort usually takes precedence over everything else. Who wants beach sand being ground into your ass and balls by some stretchy, tight fabric?

by Johnathan Adlerreply 3506/21/2013

[quote]The fisrt time I heard the "junk" term was when Jake Gyllenhaal was asked why he dropped out of Bernardo Bertolucci's "The Dreamers". When he heard how extensive the nudity was he quit with the quote" I don't want to show my junk". That was back in 2002.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 3606/21/2013

Thanks, R36.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 3706/21/2013

[quote]they look so damn uncomfortable.

Just because you think they "look" uncomfortable doesn't change the fact that they are very comfortable.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 3806/23/2013

Why younger men are so worried about anyone in the locker room seeing their penis is beyond me. What are you so afraid of? Like some man is going to attack you and start sucking you off? When I was in school, we had to be naked until we were given a towel. What's the big deal? It's fun to be naked with other men.I guess if your penis is really small or really big….

by Johnathan Adlerreply 3901/04/2014

Speedo makes board shorts too, loads of them.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 4001/04/2014

In fact Speedo still makes the infamous speedos but they consider them for "performance", ie, professional swimmers now.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 4101/04/2014

And they're damn expensive! That's why I just swim naked.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 4201/04/2014

Doonan is being perverted

by Johnathan Adlerreply 4301/04/2014

I read a similar article about Jake, R36, in which he talked about how audiences weren't going to get to see his dick. He didn't say "junk."

by Johnathan Adlerreply 4401/04/2014

[quote]I hate when people use "junk" to refer to male genetalia.

There is something I hate even more.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 4501/04/2014

Broadshorts are ridiculous to swim in - they weigh you down like a hoopskirt.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 4601/04/2014

What, R45?

by Johnathan Adlerreply 4701/04/2014

Thank you, r35. They're some of the most uncomfortable things you'll ever wear. They're also only good for competitive swimming and sunbathing. You can't play in them. You can't surf in them. Give me a pair of trunks any day.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 4801/04/2014

OP, I'm glad you're posting this apparently forbidden question we never ever discuss here.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 4901/04/2014

The reason is: like Saudi Arabia, Amurka is obsessed by sex but *incredibly* prudish.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 5001/04/2014

I would have loved to wear a Speedo about 15 years ago. My body's not horrible, but certainly not Speedo worthy. And, while my cock is okay, I don't have a great bulge. So, a Speedo would really do nothing for me (or for those looking at me).

A Speedo is more than about "junk". It's also feeling comfortable with your body in general. Plenty of people with great packages who I still wouldn't want to see in a Speedo.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 5101/04/2014

We have had this discussion 3 million times here.

The trouble with this stupid go-round is all you old trolls (like Simon Doonan) don't want EVERYONE to wear Speedos: you just want the hot guys with ripped abs and great butts and huge packages to wear them. And you want all the other men to either go to the gym to get that way, or to disappear. But it doesn't work that way. The world does not exist for your viewing pleasure solely.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 5201/04/2014

I see plenty of guys wearing them at the beach. Well, the gay beach, at least. Some have great bodies. Others, not so much. But whatever I think of how someone looks in them doesn't really matter much. People should wear whatever the hell they want.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 5301/04/2014

[quote]People don't like looking ridiculous.

R20, I think looking around you will disabuse you of this silly notion.

Never mind that board shorts are plenty ridiculous... guys wearing MORE clothes to go swimming than they wear to walk on the beach. Jesus. Down below your knees with 47 pockets? As SWIMWEAR? What could be MORE ridiculous?

A nice square-cut swim-suit is the least ridiculous thing of all, and if you've got the body for it, there's nothing "ridiculous" about a speedo.

But board-shorts are COMICAL, they're so ridiculous.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 5401/05/2014

r9 It's interesting how a lowercase "e" changes things.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 5501/05/2014

People wear them because they are the style right now. Why is that so hard to understand?

As for the comfort issue, I can't think of anything more uncomfortable than wearing something that everyone will laugh at and think you look stupid in. Which they will.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 5601/05/2014

A speedo is flattering on only a handful of people. Just like a bikini looks good on a certain number of women. Having said that I wish more young men would wear them. They are usually the ones with the bodies for them. But women are practiced at objectifying themselves and putting themselves on display. Men are a bit more awkward when it comes to that. Woman can walk around in next to nothing without appearing naked. Men come across like they are walking around in their underwear.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 5701/05/2014

[quote]American's need to get over their Freudian fear of showing off their junk'

by Johnathan Adlerreply 5801/05/2014

Yes, it's so shocking that something that was fashionable in the 70's might look passe today!

by Johnathan Adlerreply 5901/05/2014

I get that maybe a lot of Americans do have an irrational, prudish fear of being in a Speedo.

But, there's absolutely no "need" to get over it and embrace everyone wearing Speedos. Long board shorts are lame, sure, but there's really no harm in wearing them. And, there is a happy medium - the old school short shorts (or at least shorter shorts) swimsuit.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 6001/05/2014

Simon Doonan is an irrelevant & highly irritating, pretentious cunt.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 6101/06/2014

[quote]You can't play in them. You can't surf in them.

Right! They always seem to get caught in my cleats while I'm playing. When it comes to surfing, a Speedo is so damn heavy it makes you lose your balance and fall right off the board. Thanks for mentioning these facts, R48.

by Johnathan Adlerreply 6201/06/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!