Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Last Career You'd Ever Want

For me, it would be working with snakes. (Literally.)

by Anonymousreply 2706/21/2013

What made you even [italic]think[/italic] of that?

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2013

Have you seen the video of the snake that can open doors?

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2013

Car salesman.

Actually, a salesman of any stripe. I sold clothes for a year between undergrad and grad, and while I more or less functioned, it started to crush my soul.

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2013

Farm animal inseminator.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

Collections.

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

I used to work a the largest fast food chain in the world and that job wrecked me. I felt so fucking useless and was treated like thrash everyday and quit to work as a maid where I felt like I was in heaven in comparison.

I'm starting law school this fall so my future looks pretty bright in the career departement yet I don't regret any of the jobs I've had. I feel alot more humble and hopefully I will always remember the struggle and hardships I had to go through in encounters with service people.

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

Trauma Scene Waste Wanagement Practitioners or crime scene cleaners. I just could do it, yet I've been to a body farm.

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

Therapist

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

Waiter. I did it briefly in college. Some people are cut out for it, some are not. I hated it.

Hairdresser. I had a roomie who did hair. Although the money was good, she hated being on her feet for eight hours and having to always be "on".

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

I like R6.

by Anonymousreply 1006/21/2013

Retail

by Anonymousreply 1106/21/2013

Actor. The uncertainty, the lack of privacy, saying lines someone else wrote for you. Dithering about your looks all the time.

I hate being "onstage" and stared at.

by Anonymousreply 1206/21/2013

Mortician. Forensic examiner. Dead humans creep the fa-huck out of me. Ewww ewww ewww!

by Anonymousreply 1306/21/2013

Plumber. I can't imagine clearing a clogged toilet except my own. In India, low-caste people clean clogged sewers with buckets. I saw photos, a man climbed out of a manhole completely brown except his eyes and no one would give him water or a towel.

by Anonymousreply 1406/21/2013

Anything involving children.

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2013

I'm a teacher, so I'm doing what R15 most fears. I love it, though.

I agree with R3 and R11. Retail is the worst, with food service a close second.

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2013

There are some excellent "bad job" choices here so far, including lawyering which that person seems to be happy about, but I'll have to go with any kind of sales job. I'm sure I'd be hopeless at it. Also waiting tables - I'd probably have to poison someone right away.

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2013

How old are you, R6? I'm 33 and thinking about going to Law School after 10 years of stagnating.

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013

Is R6 talking about Subway, McDonald's, Burger King? Quizzes are so hard.

by Anonymousreply 1906/21/2013

[quote]I feel alot more humble and hopefully I will always remember the struggle and hardships I had to go through in encounters with service people.

That's very good to hear, and I hope you keep your word. I waited tables and worked retail in college, almost 20 years ago, and god did I hate it. I have never forgotten what shitty work it is (and waiting tables is also physically stressful) and as a result I am always kind to service people, because I know what it's like.

You can really tell a lot about a person by how they treat service workers. Nothing turns me off more than some white-collar jackass being rude and demanding to a waiter/waitress who is only doing their job. I find it disgusting, and I've occasionally called those jackasses out on their behavior.

by Anonymousreply 2006/21/2013

Nursing home attendant. Not that I dislike being around old people, I just couldn't handle having to clean their poop everyday.

by Anonymousreply 2106/21/2013

@r18 I'm 21 but have been working since I was 16, failed high school, was homeless for a month haha (during the most crucial exam week) but I finally have my life in order now.

Oh and I'm in Sweden although I'm of MENA heritage. I'm really looking forward to going but ofc the job market isn't as crazy as in the U.S or am I right?

by Anonymousreply 2206/21/2013

@r19 Yep it's one of those. My boss was horrible and I used to work the drive through until 3 in the morning all summer and most weeknds. It was horrible, lots of drunk guys in groups (some obvious cases of drunk driving) that would flip their shit when you were late with their food, sexually harass you (I'm a girl) the manager never had us wow...I'm just going to stop cause this is just bringing back to much shit.

I'm in Sweden btw.

by Anonymousreply 2306/21/2013

@r20 I agree with you and I will keep my word. I'm not white (well living in Sweden anything south of germany is swarthy) so umm if I ever messed up people would have a field day and really go all out with trying to humiliate me.

by Anonymousreply 2406/21/2013

Intern.

by Anonymousreply 2506/21/2013

Going to law school? The job market is dismal for people who aren't at a top 10 law school. If you're lucky to get a job, be prepared to work terrible, low paying hours for psychopaths and trashy clients.

by Anonymousreply 2606/21/2013

@r26 I'm in Sweden. It's a very competitive field even here but mostly if you wan't to land a job with the big corporate firms, your always guaranteed a job though, even if it's doing boring paperwork for insurance firms.

by Anonymousreply 2706/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.