Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tips for Working at Home

I started working from home yesterday and suspect that if I don't get it together soon, I'm going to find myself in trouble.

It's mid afternoon. I haven't showered. I'm sitting here in my boxers. I was up until 3 am last night since I don't have a specific time to get up or a set schedule.

I know I should be setting myself a schedule and doing my best to avoid the distractions of home.

Does anybody have any tips for working at home, being efficient and productive? Suggestions for any useful apps for the self employed/freelancer (iOS)?

by Anonymousreply 2106/21/2013

One tip that I would recommend is keeping a calendar: 9-10, go through email, 10-11 do xxx, etc. And keep to it as if you were in an office environment. Also remember to take a lunch or break (also scheduling this in your calendar).

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2013

Did McDonald's not send you the PR shilly text for you to copy-paste?

Is it really that difficult to get your shit together to promote shit?

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2013

You have to keep regular hours, just like at work and meet deadlines.

You are apt to fuck around until you get canned. Buck up or confess you need someone to follow you around and tell you what to do and when to do it. Your choice.

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2013

One thing that I find helps more than you'd imagine, I make sure I shower and dress for work every morning even if I will not see anyone that day. It sort of sets the tone for my work day.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

While freedom and flexibility are the perks of working from home, it's critical to establish good working habits - whatever those habits are.

As noted, for some people, it's waking up at the same time every day and creating a routine. For others, it's setting aside a separate space in the home as a work-only space with no distractions.

One interesting indicator of whether you'll be successful is how you managed homework when in school. Were you one of those people who were disciplined or did you do it catch as catch can? If the latter, you in trouble, guuurl...

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

What others have said. Get up and get dressed every day, stick to a regular schedule. Have a dedicated space for work, even if it's just at the kitchen table. Keep the TV off. I take a lunch break, but try not to use it to run errands or leave the house. I'll throw in a load of laundry and then eat lunch, and put it in the dryer and get back to work.

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

I agree with taking a nice hot steamy shower in the morning, but not with getting dressed like you were going to work. That is the whole point of working from home, you don't have to impress anyone with who you are wearing. Get out the muumuus and flipflops and relax.

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

My partner works at home most of the time (with occasional trips to the office for meetings). It works for him because he's always been a very disciplined, nose to the grindstone type of person. His company actually gets more hours of work out of him than if he were going into the office because he'll work long into the night if there's a deadline, whereas when he was going into the office, he'd pack it in by 6 or 7 p.m.

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

I worked from home for two years - and loved it.

I got promoted and found myself at a disadvantage not having the casual contact with my colleagues, staff and boss. So back to the office for me.

I know several people who found working at home a disaster - but I honestly think their work habits in the office couldn't have been that great.

Shower first thing , put on pants? Why?

Stop whining and do your job.

by Anonymousreply 1006/21/2013

Act as if you were still going out to the office. Set your alarm, get up, make coffee, shower, dress. While having your coffee check e-mails (work related). Then, start work. Set your alarm again to break for lunch. You can use your lunch period to fiddle with checking personal e-mails, run errands if you live close enough. Then, back to work.

The trick is to behave as if you were still in an office being scrutinized by management.

I have worked at home for 20+ years and being consistent is the key.

by Anonymousreply 1106/21/2013

"I worked from home for two years - and loved it.

I got promoted and found myself at a disadvantage not having the casual contact with my colleagues, staff and boss. So back to the office for me."

So your greed overtook your luck in securing the optimal work environment? Awesome.

by Anonymousreply 1206/21/2013

I also agree with the calendar thing, but not the dressing for the office thing. Working from home definitely requires some discipline, and in my case it was the discipline to say "no" when my employer wanted to squeeze extra hours out of me. I worked the equivalent of my commute time as a thank you for the opportunity not to commute, but my client was a sly, greedy fucker who gave an inch and wanted a mile. Don't feel that you owe your soul for the opportunity if you work for a jackass like that. I put in plenty of long nights because I'm a good worker bee, but it got ridiculous after a while until I pushed back.

by Anonymousreply 1306/21/2013

Don't get me wrong, I don't "dress for the office." It's usually shorts or sweats/pajama bottoms and a t-shirt, barefeet. I only shave a couple times a week unless I have plans for the evening. But I don't sit and work in my own funk. A shower is essential.

by Anonymousreply 1406/21/2013

[11] here....yes, dressing just means putting on clothing, not dragging out a suit & tie. The times I went to my in-home office in a robe and didn't shower I found I tended to let the day slip away with unrelated work stuff. Psychologically, it extended my morning and I ended up wasting time on nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2013

I was great working in the office and then I've been working from home the past year and a half and I'm horrible. I'm on Datalounge for the 7th time today! Yeah!

I find myself working all night to get stuff done. I also sit in the same fucking desk chair for 14 hours a day.

I think I'm going to be starting a new office job soon so I guess the vacation is over.

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2013

I've been working from home for about ten years. Agree you must get dressed. Also, and this is important-- put on shoes. Even if it's just sneakers. Something about having shoes on makes you feel ready to get down to work.

Take a course in calendaring. It will help you stay focused and organized.

Don't let people just drop in or call to chat endlessly because you work from home. Make appointments, even with friends (stick to lunch dates), like you would if you were in a formal office.

Limit your Internet surfing to when you are eating or drinking something (bfst, lunch, coffee breaks) only.

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2013

I LOVELOVELOVE working from home. The best advice is a daily calendar and a monthly calendar. Stick to your deadlines.

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013

Jack off first thing in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 1906/21/2013

To-do lists, tasks that you must cross off each day, allocated hours towards work. Keep a calendar/diary.

by Anonymousreply 2006/21/2013

I work at home, and although normally I'm not required to adhere to a schedule or work a set number of hours, discipline is helpful. I get dressed when I wake up, always in comfortable clothes. No outdoor shoes most of the time, but I often wear slippers or socks.

I don't enjoy television so I don't think about turning it on, but I always have the radio or CD player going as soon as I get up. Music helps me work.

I write, and I tend to work in creative bursts. When I'm not feeling creative, being at home is great because there's always something productive I can do. Keeping my hands busy with painting, baking bread, chopping vegetables, and doing routine chores gets my mind spinning in a different direction and helps me write. I might be feeding the cats and suddenly know how to word something that's been evading me.

by Anonymousreply 2106/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!