Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Things to Love About Brits

I love how they say "week-END". Putting the emphasis on the last syllable makes the concept sound much more glamorous.

by Anonymousreply 10408/05/2013

Agreed, OP. And it's not on weekends, it's "at the week-END."

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2013

I'm goin' to the hospital, innit.

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2013

Get fresh at the week-END!

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2013

R2! They go to hospital, not to the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

I love when they Jacksie for ass.

"I going to shove this stick right up your jacksie"

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

On DL, this was always going to be a short list. Here's a little bump.

by Anonymousreply 606/22/2013

I love how they use the words brilliant and gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 706/22/2013

Is there a male equivalent for Bristols?

Mash?

by Anonymousreply 806/22/2013

They are ugly on average, but when they are hot they are hotter than everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 906/22/2013

They can't pronounce words that end with an 'a'. They put an 'r' after it.

They always says "Obamar," "sodar"...

It's funny hearing Brits who are actors trying to hide their English accents, but out themselves when they have to say a word that ends in 'a'. It's really difficult.

People from Boston have the same problem.

by Anonymousreply 1106/22/2013

I liked Brit Spears most. I sucked all her youthful essence out with a televised Cheetos flavored kiss. .

by Anonymousreply 1206/22/2013

I love how they have no issue with the word cunt. They use it the way Americans use "asshole", to describe anyone, male or female. When Thatcher died, my one British friend said she was "the cuntiest cunt who ever cunted." Love it.

by Anonymousreply 1306/22/2013

Like a drink.

Discreetly cunty.

Easy to fuck; fewer hang ups.

Class system keeps one away from the wrong classes.

Fantastic music culture.

Easily intimidated by Americans.

Great supermarkets.

by Anonymousreply 1706/22/2013

R17. Great list!

by Anonymousreply 1806/22/2013

R4, it depends on how ill we are. If we're sick we go to hospital, but my mother worked at the hospital as a nurse most of her life.

Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 1906/22/2013

R15 Has never heard of Frankie Boyle if he thinks UK comedians are innocuous. There is no way on earth that you could get away with a fraction of the stuff on American TV that you do on British TV. Remember the wardrobe malfunction that sent the square states into meltdown?

The main great great honking difference is that in the UK there is no need to pretend to have faith and thank Jeebus in public. The US is a country that is founded on the separation of church and state where you can't get elected unless you make a public display of Christianity, the UK is a country where the head of state is the head of the church and a public profession of faith is viewed as suspect at best but more often downright laughable.

The US is too puritanical to have a good time. They think more than 1 glass of wine at dinner makes you an alcoholic. The Brits just have a party and fuck the hangover.

Of course these are generalisations but true in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 2006/22/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2106/22/2013

NO

by Anonymousreply 2206/22/2013

Love it r3.

Lingo wise, I most love how we have the word "fancy".. "attracted to" doesn't have the same ring to it does it, better in one word.

I know Americans in the know sometimes use it and mimic Brit phrases via their Brit friends and internet pals but all the same.

by Anonymousreply 2306/22/2013

smegma

by Anonymousreply 2406/22/2013

Things to love about Brits? They aren't Welsh.

by Anonymousreply 2506/22/2013

Things to love to hate:

1. Simon Cowell - Drugged out dead-eyed devil 2. David Blechham - Lord of the Chavs 3. Spice Girls - still stings 4. Any British actress who won't stop being calculatingly self-deprecating as they refuse to shut up - Slagorama 5. One Direction - oh fuck off 6. Certain snotty Brit actors in LA who use their accent for a career, portraying arch, empty stereotypes with no sense of much else - shall remain nameless 7. Royal Family - reptilians who killed the people's coked out princess

by Anonymousreply 2606/22/2013

I love their accents. It's a cliche, but just like the Spanish they have the sexiest form of talking.

by Anonymousreply 2706/22/2013

They're so scrummy!

by Anonymousreply 2806/22/2013

R27, you mean a Spaniard.

by Anonymousreply 2906/22/2013

I love David Icke.

by Anonymousreply 3006/22/2013

The way they'd say "Blimie! I just got run off the the road by a lorrie!" instead of "Fuck! I just got run off the road by a tractor trailor!"

by Anonymousreply 3106/22/2013

yes R29 a Spaniard *blushes*

I mean take a look @ this hotties!

by Anonymousreply 3206/22/2013

I love how they never hog the toothpaste!

by Anonymousreply 3306/22/2013

R33 and yet manage to have the best dental health in the world.

by Anonymousreply 3406/22/2013

their semi-detached housing and lovely council flats

by Anonymousreply 3506/22/2013

R34 if you have teeth like Brits do, you damn well had better MAKE dental care free to all.

by Anonymousreply 3606/22/2013

Any chance you could prove that, R34?

by Anonymousreply 3706/22/2013

I love how they call people "darling" and "love". No American can get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 3806/22/2013

How can a bitch have this much money, and do nothing about those teefs?

by Anonymousreply 3906/22/2013

Best dental health in the world, my ass.

by Anonymousreply 4006/22/2013

One of my first BFs when I came out was a Brit. We never went anywhere except to the bedroom. He was 32. I was 22. I liked the way he lived. CPW penthouse. 2-seater Benz. House in the Hamptons. But I turned 23 and the "best if used by" stamp appeared on my forehead. Strangely, we're still friends. Still sleeping with 22-year-olds.

by Anonymousreply 4106/22/2013

R37 R40 OECD report - the British have the best dental health in the world. The Germans were second, US were tenth behind France.

I saw an article recently, can't remember where, discussing the horrifying dental health problems in Kentucky. Maybe better to start dealing with the US problems before having a go at anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 4206/22/2013

FOR many people, a trip to the dentist still evokes unpleasant childhood memories of big needles and screeching drills. And judging by data from an OECD report, “Health at a glance”, released on Tuesday December 8th, eastern European adults will be having nightmares for years to come. Polish children have the worst teeth in any OECD country; a 12 year old has nearly four teeth that are missing, decayed or have a filling. American adults are renowned for having perfect sets of pearly whites, but each child has one decayed or missing tooth. Britain's children (along with Germany's) have the healthiest teeth, if not the straighest or whitest in later life.

Again, it's not that Brit's teeth are naturally healthier, they have better CARE as no one is without insurance like in the US. Yet still, the article says this is speaking of children, qualifying it with the statement, "Britain's children (along with Germany's) have the healthiest teeth, if not the straighest or whitest in later life". The adults have nothing to brag about.

It's not lack of hygiene, or dental health care over there, it's genetics.

by Anonymousreply 4306/22/2013

R25, that makes no sense because Welsh people are British, since Wales is part of what constitutes 'Britain'. Or am I missing something?

by Anonymousreply 4406/22/2013

60s-80s music

The Thick of It

Ab/Fab

The Office UK (only time Gervais has ever been funny).

Stephen Merchant

Jude Law (will always "love" him)

Henry Cavill - a newcomer to the list. Boring as hell, but pleasant to look at.

Took GOOP off our hands.

by Anonymousreply 4506/22/2013

The BBC

by Anonymousreply 4606/22/2013

[quote]Or am I missing something?

Yes. The ability to comprehend satire.

by Anonymousreply 4706/22/2013

The reaction to Thatcher's death.

by Anonymousreply 4806/22/2013

R47, how is it satire? What's clever or funny about it? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 4906/22/2013

I like how so many are interested in books, ideas, etc & like to talk about all sorts of things

the humour, but people able to be funny and capable of serious conversation - even better

I like how they are more "real." I am tired of phoniness and bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 5006/22/2013

Heinz Salad Cream - "Pourable Sunshine"

by Anonymousreply 5206/22/2013

R51, the Welsh and the Scots are British.

Your post would be correct if it said:"the English are notorious for looking down on the Welsh, Scots, and Irish."

by Anonymousreply 5306/22/2013

I like how so many old and average looking people on their TV shows have a full love life.

by Anonymousreply 5506/22/2013

[quote]They're no more witty or sarcastic as Americans are. American comedians are wittier and a million times more sarcastic than Brits today.

As an objective observer of British and American humour (I’m Australian), yes Americans have always been better at sarcasm (Seinfeld, Woody Allen), but the British are still wittier, and do irony much better.

[quote] I actually find cynicism overplayed now. Britain is all PC today. No one can say anything without a lynch mob attacking them. Ofcom will send you to the unemployment line. The government is signing away the rights of comedians to offend. The public agrees with this. This is why British comedy is so piss-poor now. It's only comedians like Rowan Atkinson that stand up against such legislation.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Try “The thick of it”.

by Anonymousreply 5606/23/2013

Ducal weddings!

by Anonymousreply 5706/23/2013

See “The thick of it” link below. An example of terribly PC, piss-poor British comedy R15 was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 5806/23/2013

[quote]1. Simon Cowell - Drugged out dead-eyed devil

I remember seeing his extra-long pinky fingernail displayed on TV.

by Anonymousreply 5906/23/2013

They say wee-KEND.

Also love how they say sheduwell instead of schedule.

by Anonymousreply 6006/23/2013

They can't simply say "Thank you." It's "Thank you very much indeed."

by Anonymousreply 6106/23/2013

R60 I think you mean sheduwell instead of skejule.

by Anonymousreply 6206/23/2013

You mean your obese Mcdonald's lovin', baseball hat wearin', loud , uneducated ass.

by Anonymousreply 6306/23/2013

Actually, R61, it's much more likely to be "Thanks so much" rather than "Thank you very much indeed."

And agreeing with another poster up-thread, I think the best thing about the Brits is their unapologetic atheism. If you MUST be religious, you'd best keep it to yourself, or have people look at you with suspicion. A politician who refers to religious reasons for a viewpoint - rather than practical thinking - is looked upon as somewhat touched in the head, and it's certainly not a vote-getter (except from a very few other religious nutjobs).

by Anonymousreply 6406/23/2013

[quote]They think more than 1 glass of wine at dinner makes you an alcoholic.

Just reading UK publisher Tom Maschler's memoir. He'd helped make Heller's "Catch-22" a colossal success. Heller later invited him to East Hampton for dinner. On the table was a 1 litre bottle of wine, for ten guests. Maschler asked his host if he could go out for more wine, and Heller, unabashed, gave him directions to the nearest liquor store.

by Anonymousreply 6506/23/2013

British soaps are a thousand times better than American soaps.

by Anonymousreply 6606/23/2013

I love how kinky they are and all the uncut cocks

by Anonymousreply 6706/23/2013

I agree with R64. My husband is English and his parents were political conservatives (they liked Maggie, ugh) but they were atheists and very matter-of-fact about it. They did send him to Sunday school as a boy (he was even a choir boy) but they never went to church. I've met a lot of English people over the years and their attitude towards religion is most refreshing.

I also like the political debates in Parliament, where they shout at "The Right Honourable So-and-So" and then go on to hurl insults in a most amusing fashion.

by Anonymousreply 6806/23/2013

But they're shown at prime time and dominate the schedules r66, so the Americans win there.

by Anonymousreply 6906/23/2013

Brits say "Ten MILES away."

Americans say "TEN miles away."

Weird.

by Anonymousreply 7006/23/2013

It was funnier my way, R53. If you had a sense of humor you'd know that.

by Anonymousreply 7106/23/2013

I noticed things like that, too, R70. It seems they put the emphasis on different words sometimes, not the words you would expect.

by Anonymousreply 7206/23/2013

I love their uncut smegma encrusted cocks. Very tasty indeed. A lot of them are not gorgeous but have an interesting sense of style. I also like their kinks as well.

by Anonymousreply 7306/23/2013

Americans say or use "hundred" a different way when counting up, the date format seems odd at first as does the lack of metric measurements - an American cookbook is a nightmare! "I could care less". "write me".

Nevertheless "stone" as a weight measurement sounds horrible. I like pacifier instead of dummy.

by Anonymousreply 7406/23/2013

It used to be that way in Canada as well, R64. I fear no more

by Anonymousreply 7506/23/2013

R66 I disagree. Americans smell better because they bathe more and their soap is far more effective!;)

The camp factor of Days and GH alone trumps any soap from the UK. That sense of lightness is devoid from the Bell soaps though(Bold and Beautiful and Young and Restless).

by Anonymousreply 7606/23/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 7706/23/2013

I like the way they add "at all" to sentences in shops.

For example, "Would you like a [plastic] bag, at all?", "Can I help you at all?"

by Anonymousreply 7906/23/2013

R61 gets all his Brit-related information from Richard Curtis films.

by Anonymousreply 8006/23/2013

Rumpole of the Bailey.

A special gift from the Brits.

by Anonymousreply 8106/23/2013

Candy. Real chocolate that doesn't taste like candle wax. Creme Eggs, Crunchies, Kit Kats, Caramac, all British candy is much, much better. And they don't have Peeps, which are an abomination. Likewise anything Hershey. That stuff is vile.

by Anonymousreply 8206/23/2013

I find, generally speaking, that Brits are less hung up on interracial dating.

by Anonymousreply 8306/23/2013

Desmond's > The Cosby Show.

by Anonymousreply 8406/23/2013

Adult gay characters on their soaps covering *real* issues. There were gay and lesbian couples on "Eastenders" in the 80's who went through a lot o realistic shit on the programs. Even current "Coronation Street" had a superb episode where one of the character s currently dating a woman was basically ganged up on by his gay friends at their wedding. Very well written and not at all preachy.

by Anonymousreply 8506/23/2013

What about ME, R85?

by Anonymousreply 8606/23/2013

I like they way they add "Do you know that?" when they are accusing someone being crazy or stupid. "You're a blinkered idiot. Do you know that?"

by Anonymousreply 8706/23/2013

R78, we are talking about Brits, not people who happen to have been born in Britain, but are actually not really interested in properly assimilating.

by Anonymousreply 8806/23/2013

[76] Brit soaps have better acting better storylines and characters you can relate to. You'll never see a character posses by the devil in a Brit soap and unlike American soaps the sets are superior and they shoot outside locations. Plus our characters actually work and portray struggles that everyone goes through.

by Anonymousreply 8906/23/2013

x

by Anonymousreply 9008/04/2013

The way words are spelled. How did our American spelling and pronunciation change so much? The BBC.BBC America does not compare. Love Master Chef UK. So much better than the American version.

by Anonymousreply 9108/04/2013

Their crusty uncut unwashed cocks. They are so yummy to slurp on......their smegma is yummier than marmite!

by Anonymousreply 9208/04/2013

-most of the men, even the straight ones, look and sound just so effeminate. Most of the ones who don't look effeminate are usually ugly with horrendous teeth.

-their bastardizing of the pronunciation of French words that are now part of the English language.

-ugly penises

-hearing American slang with a British accent sounds so silly

-

by Anonymousreply 9308/04/2013

r93's ex obviously ditched them for a Brit...

by Anonymousreply 9408/04/2013

R94 I'd guess from the ignorant viciousness that R93's ex not only dumped him for a Brit but a female Brit at that. Such venom! That usually only comes from a deep well of pain that can only be assuaged with alcohol, vitriol and Demerol.

I like how the Brits assume that religious zealots of any type are insane. The Brit politicians don't have to pretend to like God to get elected.

by Anonymousreply 9508/04/2013

I like when one person tells another person to "get that sorted out."

In "Secrets And Lies". the Mother tells her newly discovered black daughter that she should "get down to the office and get that sorted out, sweetheart."

I've heard it used in AbFab too.

by Anonymousreply 9608/04/2013

Even the shorthand of that phrase is good, r96.

"Sorted"

by Anonymousreply 9708/04/2013

I love the way they say "have done," as in, "Have you made dinner?" "Yes, I have done." I sometimes say it myself, purely as an affectation.

by Anonymousreply 9808/04/2013

I love the term "slapper"

by Anonymousreply 9908/04/2013

[quote] How did our American spelling and pronunciation change so much?

NO IDEA! *rolls eyes*

by Anonymousreply 10008/04/2013

Umm 100, roll your eyes all you want. You do remember that America was part of the British Empire before that little event called the Revolutionary War.

by Anonymousreply 10108/04/2013

"I got all tarted up and went down to the local and some plonker called me a slapper!"

by Anonymousreply 10208/04/2013

The main London museums are free

by Anonymousreply 10308/04/2013

I'm into bathroom voyeurism and exhibitionism; Brits are disproportionally represented in chat rooms devoted to the subject.

by Anonymousreply 10408/05/2013

British men are some of the kinkiest fuckers out there! God, I love that.

by Anonymousreply 10508/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.