Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

NY Times Review of WW Z

Pretty decent, actually. Not exactly a rave, but good enough to entice people to see it.

I hope it does well.

by Anonymousreply 1106/23/2013

Too bad that Mireille Enos' role is cut back. She's a more interesting actor than Pitt.

I hoped this film might give her career a boost, but probably not.

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2013

And why exactly do you hope the film does well, OP?

We don't care about your hopes. We care about your motives. THAT'S where our fun will be found.

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2013

I hope it does well because I happen to be a person who likes Brad Pitt and am rather dismayed by so many negative comments about him made by posters on this site. I would like to see him prove the naysayers wrong.

I also did a spot check a bit earlier on Google to get a sampling of reviews from other media, and I have the say that there are many more positive reviews than negative. Most of the negative comments have to do with a lack of characterization or depth in the main characters. But, then again, movies like this hardly ever delve into much characterization.

Common adjectives I read from the reviews I looked at were: thrilling, scary, action-packed, awesome, etc.

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2013

I saw the movie. Quite enjoyed it.

Utter nonsense and rather silly, of course, but I have spent worse evenings.

Don't think too much about the story, just grab yourself some popcorn and enjoy (and there were some scary parts, particularly at the start of the movie - quite eerie.)

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

I like you, R4.

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

It doesn't matter OP, no one under 25 reads reviews.

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

Though there are few I don't expect to see rave reviews for a serious zombie flick.

The Metacritic score presently is at 63 - with 26 positive reviews - 12 mixed reviews (which almost all say go see it) - only 2 listed as negative with scores so low they skew the overall score

Rotten Tomatoes has a current score of 67% Fresh from all critics and Top Ciritcs give it a 76 % Fresh. (with 153 reviews in)

I'm satisfied it's worth seeing - as a fan of the book I was going to see it anyway. I'm not some prissy book fanboi - I really liked the global aspect of the thing and that's been retained. You know there is really not his huge fanbase people think there is. It's just that the book's fanbase is comprised of the kind of person who's very vocal and visible on the net - probably with a website devoted to zombie life. After I read it maybe 6 years ago I tried to convince others to read it - because it's episodic it makes good commuter reading - and all this time I didn't find many people who had heard of it let alone read it until recently.

The crticis that floor me are the ones who think it's not credible enough? Really? A fucking zombie movie not credible? LOL! One critic said it's impossible to make a credible PG-13 zombie movie - not enough gore and guts, as if that would make a preposterous proposal in the first place seem real.

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

Long Island's Newsday gave it Three Stars.

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

How is the 3D? Local reviewr said don't pay extra bucks for 3D, just see the 2D one. He did give the film 3 stars.

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

I agree, r1. Mirielle Enos is a fantastic actress and I hope WWZ gives her a more high-profile career.

by Anonymousreply 1006/21/2013

Saw it today. Scary. Quick jerky photography. Not boring at all. I do wish Mierelle enos had a larger role. She is such a great actress. Anyone know if the original ending that was to take place in Russia woud have fit into the plot? Was the last third of the film what was rewritten and shot when the Russia scenes were deemed too expensive?

by Anonymousreply 1106/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.