Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Criterion will release 'La Cage aux Folles' Sept. 10

I can't wait!

The 1979 film, which garnered Eduardo Molinaro an Oscar nomination for best director, will be released by Criterion Collection, in DVD and Blu-ray, Sept. 10.

[italic]La Cage aux Folles[/italic] has spawned an inferior American remake, [italic]The Birdcage[/italic] (1996), and a Tony winning Broadway musical.

[italic]Worth full price?[/italic] (I'd prefer not to with genrally high-priced Criterions. Amazon.com has been having a sale on many of the company's titles lately. But that applies just to the current releases.)

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

You can't wait for a Barnes & Noble or DeepDiscount.com sale?

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2013

I remember taking friends to that film when we were in college.

After 10 minutes, they were, "What the fuck have you brought us to?"

After 20, they were laughing their asses off.

I thought The Birdcage was typical, broad, overdone rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2013

I heard somewhere (the Internet) of a Birdcage *prior* to La Cage aux folles, written by Arthur Laurents and produced some time in the 1950s.

The storyline is partly similar (nightclub owner stands to lose his business) but it seemed to be a drama, not a comedy.

Anyone ever heard of this? Anyone might confirm?

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2013

Wonder what new English subtitles entale. But any subtitles are better than the dubbed version they tried to force on us back in the vhs days. Not having the option of subtitles is why I don't have a copy of this movie already.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

The English dubbing for La Cage is notoriously dreadful. They should just do it over completely.

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

R5: Dubbing is never a good idea. It is only done for lazy Americans who find reading too much work.

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

That's true, r6, though I prefer watching foreign animated movies dubbed in English.

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

The Criterion Collection is available for free on Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

I saw it when it first came out and thought it was boring. The Birdcage, as broad "American" farce, was much funnier. Just my opinion, of course. I understand the distinctions between the two filmed versions. And why many don't like the Nathan Lane version.

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.