Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Need advice about Las Vegas restaurants

I'll be going to Las Vegas next month for a week to help my sister with her wedding and then spending 3 more days there after the wedding with my boyfriend.

I'm looking for recommendations to find

1. A great steakhouse or great seafood restaurant

2. A fine dinning 5 star type restaurant

3. A good restaurant, but not a 5 star place (someplace that won't cost too much per person as there will be 13 of us)

4. A great Sunday brunch

These four are very important because they are places we'll be taking (#1) my sisters fiancé (#2) both my sister and her fiancé (#3) my sister, her fiancé and their immediate family and (#4) where we'll be taking the bride and groom before they leave on their honeymoon.

Also would love know about any 'cant miss' restaurants, and any one's favorite restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 4411/28/2013

In regards to #3 I'm thinking about maybe $50-$75 per person. Thankfully we'll be splitting the bill with my sister's future father in law.

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2013

I would love to help! I've never been to Las Vegas and have zero recommendations, but I love your post!

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2013

I hated Vegas. It was like walking around in a damn oven.

fuck, at least the wind blows cool in Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2013

I thought Diego at the MGM Grand was good for a #3 type of restaurant. Exceptional food but maybe too pricey for you -- for two of us, who ordered as much sangria as we could consume as well as dessert and coffee, it was $185.00, so it depends on what the guests are going to have of course. It was a nice little restaurant during the evening, but at night I think it turns into a salsa dance bar.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

Bring your party of 13 to the Peppermill Restaurant and Lounge. It's a classic landmark and the food is good.

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

I love peppermill 0r take large party to Hash House a go gp On the strip

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

check out the Wicked Spoon buffet at the Cosmopolitan. About 30 for lunch, 40 for dinner but it's upscale and you'll try at least 10-20 things you've seen on menus at nice restaurants but never have ordered...great food, wild menu...

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

BACHI BURGER - go there, please, wish I could get to LV again just for that delicious great burger

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

for #3 - -fogao de chao was good and about $70 a head with a couple of drinks & dinner.

For a staekhouse - this was about 15 minutes out from the strip but amazing and priced right - it's in an old ranch house.

by Anonymousreply 1006/21/2013

OP, I'd choose a place which is relatively quiet and where you can relax and chat. Focus on the atmosphere; Vegas has plenty of choices. Still so many are designed for a high turnover, especially the noisy buffets.

Simons' has excellent, high quality, made from scratch food. Lunch is very reasonable. Steaks are more pricey for dinner; my date still loved it. I haven't tried their Sunday brunch. On one visit they were doing filming for the then upcoming Miss America pageant, so I'm surprised it's listed as casual dining. Service is superb.

R7, The McDonalds on the East side of Las Vegas Bl (the strip) is very popular, because it's on the top level and has a great view.

by Anonymousreply 1106/21/2013

Tom Coliccio's (sp?) Steak place - Craftsteak at MGM is great. Gordon Ramsay has a new steak place at Paris.

by Anonymousreply 1206/21/2013

#1, a strange Las Vegas Classic, THE Steak House in Circus Circus.

#2, Picasso, a Julian Serrano restaurant.

#3, for a large private party like that I would recommend the private room at the Eiffel Tower. 13 people is going to be pricy no matter where you go unless it's Denny's and you are there on Kids Eat Free night.

#4, I agree with the Cosmo.

by Anonymousreply 1306/21/2013

#3 Baristas Hole in the Wall is a small, Italian, not too touristy kind of place. A cab driver recommended it and I try to go there every time I go to Vegas. It seems more like a locals place.

Pieros is another great Italian place, tho it's a bit on the pricey side but it might work as long as no one orders 3-4 courses. It's also not too touristy.

www. pieros cuisine .com

by Anonymousreply 1406/21/2013

If you are looking for fine dinning, Spago is said to be quite noisy.

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2013

Thanks for the suggestions and the links. I'm getting hungry looking at the menus

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2013

There's a Del Frisco's in Vegas - great steaks.

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2013

The Mirage has a Brazilian-style steakhouse like Fogo de Chão.

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013

SW at the Wynn is the best steakhouse and also the most expensive. Expect to pay over $200 pp with wine.

by Anonymousreply 1906/21/2013

We just returned from a trip to Vegas and had some great foodie experiences. Some suggestions for you, OP:

1. Delmonico Steakhouse or CUT at the Venetian (the first is Emeril Lagasse's place and we just had an excellent meal there: bone-in ribeye, great wine list too, that isn't as overpriced as similar steakhouse wine lists); the second is Wolfgang Puck's place: CUT features more different and "exclusive" types of steak, including Japanese Wagyu etc, but I would say we had a slightly better experience overall at Delmonico. Fish restaurant: not particularly fancy, but we had a delicious lunch at Joe's (Seafood, Prime steak, and Stone Crab), which is located in the Forum Shops (Caesar's). We had scallops and crab cakes. 2. Picasso is a good suggestion by R13. Other top dining places in Vegas: Joël Robuchon or L'atelier de Joel Robuchon at MGM (both may be hard to get reservations for, tho), The Twist by Pierre Gagnaire at Mandarin Oriental (great views there too). We had a wonderful dinner at Sage at Aria (modern American), which I would highly recommend for dinner, but maybe it doesn't have the "wow" factor as far as the setting is concerned in comparison to the others mentioned. The most exclusive foodie place, however, is a "secret" restaurant called é by José Andres at the Cosmopolitan, inside Jaleo: there, you need to email them to request tickets and they'll let you know if they have space available at the 8-space bar/counter. If you check yelp or food blogs, you'll get any idea what's it like. We didn't get in, but it's supposed to be quite a experience, although more on a foodie level (tasting menu with lots of different small bites) than on a formal setting/view level. 3. If you like tapas, either Julian Serrano at the Aria (great modern and classic tapas selection, good for going with a large group), or Jaleo at the Cosmopolitan (likewise). We enjoyed both, but slightly preferred Julian Serrano. 4. We've only been there for dinner, but Bouchon in the Venetian (Thomas Keller's place) is supposed to feature a delicious brunch! One place I would NOT recommend is Batali's B&B at the Venetian: something was "off" there (the only disppointing meal we had on a 9-day trip).

Have fun, OP! Now I'm hungry again after writing this post.

by Anonymousreply 2006/21/2013

The enters after the numbers didn't work: sorry my post is such a long text now!

by Anonymousreply 2106/21/2013

Here's a link for "Kevineats", a food blog that features reviews and many pictures of a lot of the places I mentioned above, btw.

by Anonymousreply 2206/21/2013

The food is absolutely superior. Both the inside seating area and the outdoor patio are gorgeous. Perfect for a post wedding meal. It's sheer elegance and priced perfectly. Unlike the buffets or the "champagne brunches" you do not pay one price. You can order a little or a lot, order drinks or not.

I never, never miss brunch at Bouchon when traveling to Vegas. There is no comparison.

Also - it is NOT crowded. It's a word-of-mouth only experience. And GREAT service.

by Anonymousreply 2306/21/2013

R23, I definitely agree with you that OP must avoid noisy, over-crowded restaurants. Those are for "budget days." OP did not say if he's dining weekdays or primo weekends; it does make a difference.

Probably not on OP's list but various exotic ethnic restaurants have become quite popular in Vegas as well.

by Anonymousreply 2406/21/2013

Olive's at Bellagio is great as you get to sit outside right in front of the fountains while you eat

by Anonymousreply 2506/21/2013

#2. Restaurant Guy Savoy @ Caesar's

#4 Caesar's buffet. Expensive, but the best buffet in town- they have everything anyone desires, and they do it well.

by Anonymousreply 2606/21/2013

OP, Living in Vegas, I don't see how buffets are worth it unless you have a huge appetite. It also impairs conversation because you need to keep getting up to get your food. Perhaps buffets make sense if you really want to try a wide variety of dishes. Personally I prefer a more relaxed meal.

by Anonymousreply 2706/21/2013

[quote]#3 Baristas Hole in the Wall is a small,

I think you mean BATTISTA'S. A barista is someone who works at Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 2806/21/2013

I will pray that there's an Olive Garden closeby for you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2906/21/2013

R28 you're right. Auto correct strikes again, but I still should have double checked.

by Anonymousreply 3006/21/2013

Barista's Hole. hehe

by Anonymousreply 3106/21/2013

Rao's is so freaking good.

by Anonymousreply 3206/21/2013

Bob Taylor's Original Ranch House looks great, R10.

I'm bookmarking that.

by Anonymousreply 3306/21/2013

Link for Raos'. It started as a VERY small restuarant in NYC. You basically have to know someone to get in. It's fantastic!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3406/21/2013

Jesus, R20, you spent 9 days in Vegas? I could barely take 48 hours before wanting to get out of there.

by Anonymousreply 3506/21/2013

R35, ITA. Second or third Bouchon for brunch. Had a great dinner at Sage at Aria. Actually liked the food better than Picasso.

by Anonymousreply 3606/21/2013

Thank you all for so many great suggestions. I really appreciate all the information. They all sound so good. Now all I have to do is go thru them all and pick out only four of them quick enough that I have a chance at getting reservations. I'm sure my boyfriend and I will end up eating at a few of the restaurants that we don't pick for those four meals during our three days alone in Vegas after the wedding.

R18 what's the difference between a regular steakhouse and a Brazilian-style steakhouse?

R24 the nights that we'll be dining out will be Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The only weekend meal we'll be going out for is on Sunday for brunch before they leave for their honeymoon. The rehursal dinner is on Friday, but that's a restaurant my sister and fiancé picked, then the wedding and reception is on Saturday at a mansion that is rented out for special occasions. Can't remember the name but from the pictures and wedding menu they sent me it's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 3706/22/2013

At a regular steak house you order a piece of meat. At a Brazilian steak house the bring plates or swords of grilled meat to the table. And more often, they keep bringing it.

by Anonymousreply 3806/22/2013

Thanks, r38. Primetime prevented me from replying earlier.

Also at a Brazilian-style steakhouse, you have a choice of beef, pork, lamb and chicken on the skewers they bring around.

by Anonymousreply 3906/23/2013

Most Vegas Brazilian restaurants are a flat price; good if you're a hearty eater. Also the meat is seasoned quite differently.

I'm always warning guests about overeating. There is high-fat food and liquor offered literally everywhere. Unless you go for a relaxing drive or walk, say to visit Mt Charleston, Red Rock, Lake Mead or the "fake lake" (man-made but gorgeous) that is Lake Las Vegas, most of Vegas away from the suburbs is hyper-stimulating. Because of the heat, a lot of people get sick.

OP, you might want to consider eating much lighter fare. Many go to a top buffet intending to hit the salad bar; most fail.

Vegas foodies and visitors are supporting trendier offerings. Many restaurants, especially at Wynn, now offer Vegan choices. Unusual ethnic choices have become popular as well.

by Anonymousreply 4006/23/2013

Hi OP: just wondering how your sister's wedding in Vegas went. Did you and the guests enjoy the restaurant experiences?

by Anonymousreply 4107/25/2013

For number 3, I highly recommend Rick Moonen's new restaurant, Rx Boiler Room. It's upscale comfort food and fun cocktails. Ricky's food is so damn good and the Boiler Room is affordable,pretty much your price point. His upscale restaurant is still open downstairs. Both are at Mandalay Bay. You can actually meet the criteria for nos. 1, 2 and 3 at Rick's restaurants. His fine dining room is seafood.

Steakhouse is easy. There are a bunch of steakhouses in Vegas. The recommendation for Bob Taylor's Ranch House is a great one as is the Circus Circus steakhouse.

Sunday brunch is easy, too. You cannot go wrong with the buffets at Caesars or Cosmoploitan. If you want old school fancy brunch, the Sterling Brunch at Bally's is a fine tradition. I think it's $50 per person and comes with all you can eat caviar, lobster, champagne, omelettes, etc.

If you want an affordable, gourmet restaurant, go to the Burger Bar at Mandalay Bay. It's owned by Hubert Keller and is the best gourmet burger place in town.

by Anonymousreply 4207/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 4308/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 4411/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!