Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I think my cat thinks I have cancer.

He's been sniffing my breath and kneading my gut lately, looking at me, and meowing. The look on his face is nothing short of devastated, which I imagine he would be without me.

I've read animals can detect cancer, and my gut's been bad for a few years. I've been to doctors who found nothing, had a colonoscopy. But it still doesn't feel right.

And the way he looks at me is like Ryan O'Neal looking at Ali McGraw in "Love Story". Devastating.

Is this something I should report to my doctor?

by Anonymousreply 6407/13/2013

Absolutely, OP.

You must immediately report it to your doctor.

Also to your astrologer (including your cat's birth data, of course), your pastor (if you participate in organized religion) and, of course, to the friendly men in white lab coats who take you for daily walks.

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2013

[quote] The look on his face is nothing short of devastated

Are cats' faces really that expressive? To me they always look either playful, lazy, or angry as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2013

Presuming you're not an EST, OP (hahaha *wipes tears from eyes*) you should get to the doctor and explain those "not right" symptoms, including the breath smell, if you notice it yourself. It goes without saying, but I wouldn't mention the cat.

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2013

Before you say anything to your Doctor please tell the mental health professional who looks after you that your cat has diagnosed you with cancer. He or she will take care of things from there dear.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

You should get your kitty a little doctor's coat and bring him with you to the appointment.

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

if my cat acted like your cat I would be very upset. SOME CATS really do detect cancer.

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

Get your personal effects in order. Telling your doctor would be a waste of time. The cat already knows this. I am not making fun.

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

How do I get the cat to tell me how much time I have left?

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

[quote] How do I get the cat to tell me how much time I have left?

Write the numbers 1 to 50 on cards and place them on the floor. Whatever the cat places its paw on is how many months you have.

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

OP, I hope I am not being premature, but may I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 1006/21/2013

Wow! That was just how I behaved to my cat 3 months before he died from cancer. Write your will!

by Anonymousreply 1106/21/2013

This Doctor looks like he can do the trick for you OP.

by Anonymousreply 1206/21/2013

Maybe he wants you to clean the litter box. It's been months.

by Anonymousreply 1306/21/2013

I suspect OP is also responsible for the [bold]"Anyone else still thrilled and amazed that Barack Obama is president?"[/bold] thread.

by Anonymousreply 1406/21/2013

If you'd stop eating tuna out of the can, he'd stop acting that way, Rumpie.

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2013

My mother told me that she could communicate telepathically with my cat.

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2013

OP, yes Datalounge is always the best place to go for medical advice. The DL experts will definitely give you the proper diagnosis.

Why waste money going to the doctor? Instead, throw yourself a festive party to say goodbye to your friends. If there's any money left over, buy yourself a lavish tombstone. Perhaps you could have it engraved, "My cat knew I had cancer."

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2013

Is your cat Rosie O'Donnell?

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013

Or maybe your cat is just trying to tell you that you should start doing sit ups and brushing your teeth

by Anonymousreply 1906/21/2013

[quote] I think my cat thinks I have cancer.

That's odd, OP, just this morning I sat bolt upright in bed thinking that you might think that your cat thinks you have cancer.

by Anonymousreply 2006/21/2013

My mother was died of ovarian cancer and her cat was always sniffing her stomach area. Cats know when you're dying, you're fucked OP

by Anonymousreply 2106/21/2013

You should DEFINITELY report this to your doctor, even before you lie down on the couch.

by Anonymousreply 2206/21/2013

My cat sits on my face to wake me up so she can have her damn wet food. This must mean...I...have...face cancer!

by Anonymousreply 2306/21/2013

Now I don't think my cats pay enough attention to the state of my health. Why don't they wuv me??

by Anonymousreply 2406/21/2013

This is the best thread ever. You catasauruses do more to make cats seem cool than B Kliban, Morris, and the "meow, meow, meow, meow" commercial combined.

by Anonymousreply 2506/21/2013

The kneading motion is what kittens do to get milk from their mother. If you cat does it to you, it means that he/she think of you as the mother. The cat could be hungry , but it is also a sigh of contentment.

Cats to not have enough muscles in the face to show emotion, period. Your cat cannot be looking at you with a "devastated" expression.

Meowing, again, difficult. Normally, it is an attempt to get attention, but coupled with kneading, it could be contentment.

Clearly, you breath stinks.

by Anonymousreply 2606/21/2013

This is EXACTLY like the time I thought I'd hit bottom smoking weed, OP. I woke up with my cat concentrating his weight on my stomach staring at me - judging me. My meager weed supply was scattered on the coffee table. I'd always been so careful with my baggies, too.

I took it as a sign I should quit smoking pot. I went on a frenetic cleaning binge. Half-way through, I found that the cat had been hoarding big nuggets of reefer behind a tansu chest.

My cat had been rolling me every time I passed out!

I not only had a stash and a secret stash; I had a secret stash that was a secret to me!

Fucking cat.

by Anonymousreply 2706/21/2013

Go for a check up, OP. Cats have a sixth sense of when something is wrong with it's owner.

by Anonymousreply 2806/21/2013

My friend's cat knew when she was pregnant. Out of the blue, the cat had this need to lie on her stomach. I don't think I have to say what the cat was thinking. Truly the Patsy Stone of kitties.

by Anonymousreply 2906/21/2013

Cats and dogs can sense these things and there are dogs being trained in studies right now to detect certain kinds of cancer--ovarian, uterine, bone, breast, etc. They have a 70%-80% accuracy rate.

You should tell your doctor if he is receptive to new ideas. Most are not. Otherwise, I would just go with "I just don't feel right." A doctor should take that seriously. Many doctors will not take the cat story seriously, although as a nurse I have seen this happen again and again, with patients and my own mother.

by Anonymousreply 3006/21/2013

I'm going through cancer treatment now (caught very early, thankfully). My cats are very attuned and sniff more, stay beside me more.

I attribute to two things: the new smells when I come home from the hospital and doctor offices and the fact I'm around more and behaving differently too (on the couch more, my anxiety which I think cats do pick up on)

by Anonymousreply 3106/21/2013

What's on your iPod?

by Anonymousreply 3206/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 3306/21/2013

I advise you to get a second cat for a second opinion.

by Anonymousreply 3406/21/2013

I give her kisses 'cause she's my missus!

by Anonymousreply 3506/21/2013

Certain cats are really amazing. We used to have one that would just sit on my stomach and look deep into my eyes, like transfixed. It was kind of creepy, like they see into your soul. I know it sounds crazy but he was wonderful pet. He changed my whole opinion of cats and how awesome they can be.

by Anonymousreply 3606/21/2013

And then there is Maru, the coolest of all cats

by Anonymousreply 3706/21/2013

Kitty famewhore.

by Anonymousreply 3806/21/2013

[quote]You should get your kitty a little doctor's coat and bring him with you to the appointment.

A tiny stethoscope would complete this look perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 3906/21/2013

Best OP ever.

by Anonymousreply 4006/21/2013

R40....the OP needs a stomach Dr pronto!

by Anonymousreply 4106/21/2013

R37...that video was ADORABLE!

by Anonymousreply 4206/21/2013

Your cat is tenderizing you because he plans to eat you after you have expired.

by Anonymousreply 4306/21/2013

The cat is begging you to clean his shit box.

by Anonymousreply 4406/21/2013

I knew a girl who had a cat who did that. But then she didn't die.

by Anonymousreply 4506/21/2013

cats can smell or sense cancer. Seriously. Go to the doctor OP. If it's okay than you went for nothing. Big deal! If not it could save your life.

by Anonymousreply 4606/21/2013

Dr. Sissy Boodles, M.D.

by Anonymousreply 4706/22/2013

Cats and Dogs can smell cancer. Even some humans can smell it. Especially doctors, nurses, and funeral service people that are around a lot of sick people. I would get checked out if you haven't already.

Sick people often give off a scent. Humans describe it as a sick sweet smell. Like rotting fruit or sometimes rotting meat.

by Anonymousreply 4806/23/2013

Nose Bump

by Anonymousreply 4906/24/2013

Are you uncut?

by Anonymousreply 5006/24/2013

This is why I blow my breath into my dogs face every time I sit on the throne. I watch his reaction. So far, no cancer.

by Anonymousreply 5106/24/2013

At the every least a LAB test

by Anonymousreply 5306/24/2013

I'm with R40. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 5406/24/2013

There's a cat named Oscar at a nursing home who could sense when a patient was about to die. OP, your cat may have the same ability.

by Anonymousreply 5506/24/2013

Can I have your stuff? Not the cat--he freaky.

by Anonymousreply 5606/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 5706/24/2013

Doesn't the period go before the close quote: ' "Love Story." ?'

by Anonymousreply 5806/24/2013

I find it interesting that your cat watches movies like "Love Story."

But perhaps kitty was watching "Valley of the Dolls" and was checking for breast cancer and pills on your breath.

by Anonymousreply 5906/24/2013

Laugh away, but my father has a seizure dog who alerts him when he is about to have a seizure so he can cease activity(such as driving) and medicate. And there have been cases on shows such as Dateline of the cat in a Memory Care Home who was brought in to serve as a group companion kitty, will absolutely sit and light for days on a patient who is about to die. This sounds absurd, but the particular piece featured medical professionals debating whether it was a sense of odors or body functioning rhythms which cause the cat to "alert".

by Anonymousreply 6106/24/2013

Medical Professionals often debate about lingering tabbies, especially between rhythm class and nap time.

by Anonymousreply 6206/24/2013

OP, love means never having to say your sorry.

by Anonymousreply 6306/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 6407/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!