Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's The Point of Fashion Shows?

Are they actually trying to sell the designs, give ideas? I'm serious. I've never understood the point. Is it simply art? The outrageous fashion that struts down the catwalk -- is that suppose to rub off on retailers?

Excuse my ignorance and wardrobe full of muumuus.

by Anonymousreply 3201/23/2015

The outrageous items are bought by the owners for high end boutique shops, the less outrageous items are bought by the buyers for high end department stores, the rest of the people are there to copy and re-imagine the styles for the masses.

Years ago, very few celebrities were at fashion shows, now they are in the first few rows like a fungus.

I worked at a Buying Office for seven years, fashion shows were never as ridiculous as they are now. Now it's less about the actual fashion, honestly how many ways can a suit, a dress or coat be re-designed, and more about the spectacle and the celebs in the audience.

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2013

They are meant as the backdrop for drama.

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2013

[quote]The outrageous items are bought by the owners for high end boutique shops

Who do they sell that shit to besides Bjork and Gaga?

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2013

That crazy British socialite, Daphne Guinness is obsessed with crazy high end fashion.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

It's La Croix, Sweety darling!

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

I always thought it was like those concept-car shows... an excuse for people in the field to exercise their most outrageous imagination and others to ooh and aah.

Later some of the ideas, toned down, might appear as part of products real people might actually buy.

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

Trade show. They also model ready to wear items. The outrageous stuff is not meant to be big sellers. Although wealthy people do buy them.

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

The average shopper cannot afford the high prices of most designer items, that's why the styles show at fashion shows are then re-imagined, copied by other manufacturers, then sold to the mass public, The people who shop in JC Penney, KMart, Macy's etc wear re-imagined versions of high fashion.

I can't believe that the average American woman would, or could, afford several Louis Vuitton purses or Christian Louboutin shoes.

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

I thought it was mostly the front for the real money/business which comes from selling perfume (costs pennies to make), handbags and other accessories off the 'high fashion' name.

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

Make it work!!!

by Anonymousreply 1006/21/2013

Fashion shows exist for the sake of publicity and the press. And in the minds of producers of reality shows about housewives. And in the mind of my five year old daughter and her female friends, all of whom are intellectually and emotionally more mature than those housewives, but do still like to play dress up.

by Anonymousreply 1106/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 1206/21/2013

Also those designers rarely turn a profit on the couture. What they need is buzz for their perfume/handbag/accessories lines which are relatively affordable and where they make their money.

by Anonymousreply 1306/21/2013

Has Anna Wintour weighed in on this yet?

by Anonymousreply 1406/21/2013

Oh, the glamour!

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2013

Do bony, overly-surgeried socialites go to these things anymore? Or is it just Z-list celebrities?

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2013

[quote]Later some of the ideas, toned down, might appear as part of products real people might actually buy.

I though those days were dead. I had a friend who designed for a women's sportswear line. He said that all the decisions regarding style, color, etc. were made years in advance by a group in Florida. Fashion shows has zero impact on most ready to wear clothing. Sometimes a pop culture design or iconic piece of clothing might make it into a prom dress or wedding dress line as a novelty, but most of it is completely out of a think tank.

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2013

R9 and 13 have it right. The function of fashion shows (and the sponsorship of the clothes at the Oscars, celebrity weddings etc) is simply to refresh the link between the brand name and the aura of exclusivity, fashion and luxury. The real money is made from applying that expensively-maintained brand name to otherwise ordinary items like scent, scarves, shoes, tee shirts, luggage etc which can be mass-produced quite cheaply and then sold at a high premium. That is the economics of the luxury branded market in simple terms.

Some luxury brands nowadays don't actually have any money-making businesses attached to them at all - the brand is the business. It is a kind of franchise operation, where the brand owner maintains his brand by extravagant stunts like fashion shows, and then licenses it out for use by shoe makers, garment manufacturers, handbag factories or whatever, most of which are based in the Far East.

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013

[Has Anna Wintour weighed in on this yet?]

Anything over 6 stone is obese.

by Anonymousreply 1906/21/2013

[quote]The outrageous fashion that struts down the catwalk -- is that suppose to rub off on retailers?

Outrageous? Everything's so tame! ...

by Anonymousreply 2006/21/2013

Dear god r20 those clothes are ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 2106/21/2013

Why are the celebrities there?

Is it just another way to get photographed, or are they there to beg for freebies they can wear on the red carpet?

by Anonymousreply 2206/21/2013

They bring a needed dose of color to black-and-white films.

by Anonymousreply 2306/21/2013

I have a question, how do they decide the colors of the season. Every fashion week, it seems like the designers all have the same color scheme in mind. Do they get together and decide what colors they'll use for the season?

by Anonymousreply 2406/21/2013

[quote]I have a question, how do they decide the colors of the season.

Paula Deen is the new black.

by Anonymousreply 2506/21/2013

Like what brands, R18?

by Anonymousreply 2606/21/2013

Some are paid, R22. Read the recent article about people like Kate Bosworth who make money primarily as brand ambassadors.

by Anonymousreply 2706/21/2013

[quote]"Haute couture is what gives our business its essential essence of luxury," says Bernard Arnault, the head of LVMH, which owns both Dior and Givenchy. "The cash it soaks up is largely irrelevant. Set against the money we lose has to be the value of the image couture gives us. Look at the attention the collections attract. It is where you get noticed. You have to be there. It's where we set our ideas in motion."

by Anonymousreply 2806/22/2013

r22 They are paid to sit up front. They also are given free clothes. They are essentially models. the fashion houses tip off the paparazzi so the magazines can catch the celebrities wearing their clothing. It is free advertising basically.

by Anonymousreply 2906/23/2013

r24 I don't think so. I think every collection often times looks different. They might be getting the same inspiration from other areas like architecture, furniture, books, TV and the arts which the incorporate into their designs. This in turn makes it look like all of the designer wear collaborating. The fashion world gets its inspiration from current non-fashion trends.

For example, the show Mad Men(on AMC) lead to the resurgence of retro 1960s style clothing on the runway two seasons ago.

by Anonymousreply 3006/23/2013

Sorry to bump this thread up but the Rick Owen's fashion show had male models walking down the runway without underwear.

Check out his cock! NSFW!

by Anonymousreply 3101/23/2015

R31, I love the concept but there needed to be more handsome models with prettier penises.

by Anonymousreply 3201/23/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!