Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

America Is Almost OK With the Gays, but When Will It Be Cool With People Like Me?

[italic]A gender-bending pansexual polyamorist sounds off[/italic]

Things are looking up for gay Americans lately. In spite of lingering homophobia and a few very loud bigots, our country is moving toward a future in which gays and lesbians will have all the rights granted to straight Americans under the Constitution. To many, it seems that it's only a matter of time before the war for legalized gay marriage and equal rights is won.

So woop, woop! America is on the cusp of being cool with the gays -- or at least people who identify as strictly gay or lesbian and want to have monogamous, life-long relationships.

Now I'm wondering when America will be cool with people like me.

I've always been queer and highly sexual. When I was a very young child first discovering the excitement of schoolgirl crushes, the objects of my desire were just as often female as male. At 7 years old, I got hot and bothered watching the third-grade class stud mow a lawn while shirtless. The next year, my parents caught me naked in bed with one of my girlfriends. I was 8, and she was 6 -- such a little cradle robber I was! -- and we were enthusiastically engaged in frottage when my parents burst into the room screaming. I was mortified. She was hot!

I would convince my girlfriends to play sexually charged games with me, and I never thought to distinguish between male and female with regard to what was desirable. We would sometimes role play. I preferred to take the masculine role, usually. I also invented a game that involved kissing people's naughty bits in photographs. Men, women -- they were the same to me. They were all sexy and kissable.

When I was 14, my parents discovered a secret website I'd created on which I told the world I was bisexual. Huge fights ensued, and they eventually concluded that I was going through a rebellious phase and would snap out of it as soon as my teenage hormones calmed down. They would have really freaked if they'd known I entertained fantasies involving women with male genitalia. Seemed like the best of both worlds to me. I grew up on a U.S. military base in Seoul, Korea, and I had no idea that transexuals even existed. I just thought the idea was beautiful. After a while, I learned to keep my mouth shut about my sexuality, and my parents were satisfied that the "phase" was over.

So imagine their dismay when, at the age of 21, I announced to them that I was a lesbian. Now, I admit that in my case, being gay was a conscious choice. When I was 20, I had this terrible boyfriend who made me hate penises with a fiery passion. (I'm sorry, penises of the world. I love you now; don't be sad!) I knew I could love women, so I decided I would only love women. I was a very outspoken, very happy lesbian for two years. In that time, I fully indulged my masculine side. Being gay was my chance to escape the confines of traditional femininity, and I loved it.

Eventually, my attraction to men returned, and I went back to identifying as bisexual. But over the last six years, I've realized that that doesn't quite cover it.

Sure, I love men. Women, too. But I still think that women who have male genitalia are miracles sent to us by a benevolent sex-positive god, and I've been turned on by and crushed out on all manner of androgynous, genderqueer, and sexually fluid folk. And I've never been a huge fan of our culture's obsession with lifelong monogamy. I've also discovered that I don't enjoy being confined to one gender role. I want to play both, switching back and forth as I see fit. If you need labels to understand a human being's sexuality, you could say I'm a gender-bent pansexual polyamorist. Not gay, straight, or bi but something else altogether. My best relationships are with people who are like me: queer and highly sexual, with an appreciation and respect for all the gray areas that human sexuality has to offer.

America might not be ready to for a new wave of alternative sexualities and relationships just yet, but we're definitely getting there. When more queer men and women who can't be defined solely as "straight," "gay," or "bi" start speaking out and coming to the surface, more people will begin to accept how beautiful and varied human sexuality actually is.

So let's talk about it, people. Let's be proud to be queer, whatever that might mean for you. Let's start with acknowledging that sexuality is not a simple matter of gay or straight, that gender is not confined to male and female, that love is not limited, and sex is not a formula. There are as many ways to be human and love other humans as there are people under the sun.

[italic]Samia wrote the song "We Have the Right" with her sister, Ashley Jana, in support of gay marriage rights. She recorded both the song and the music video in one week. The video, directed and produced by Caskey Hunsader, was shot at Posh Bar in New York City in early June 2013.

"We Have the Right" is now available on all major music platforms and will be included as a bonus track on Samia's upcoming self-titled EP, set to release July 16, 2013.

Samia will perform "We Have the Right" and her other originals from her new EP at Industry Bar in New York City on June 25, 2013, at 11 p.m., during New York Pride Week. There's no cover.

Samia and her band will celebrate their debut album release with a show at Rockwood Music Hall in New York City on Thursday, July 18, 2013 at 8 p.m. There's no cover.

For more info on Samia, go to SamiaMusic.com, or visit her Facebook page.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 2006/21/2013

I don't give a shit what consenting adults do with one another, but it is disturbing to see her brag about how she used to pressure her little school playmates into sexual situations as young as age 6. Shame on her parents for ignoring that red flag.

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2013

Being gay is not a choice, but choosing to have multiple sex partners at the same time is. What the hell is this woman talking about?

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2013

I me I I I I me me me me I me I me me I me I me I I I me I I I.

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2013

I'm not convinced that American gays are part 1 of a conversation where this character is part 2.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2013

PAY ATTENTION TO ME! I'M SO DIFFERENT AND UNIQUE! AREN'T I FASCINATING? LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2013

Op has a serious problem, get some help.

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2013

R6 has a problem if he thinks that OP wrote that post.

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2013

At first this thread looked whiny and I ignored it, but I'm glad I eventually opened it. It's one of the most unintentionally hilarious threads in a long time. Damn that post is bizarre, and filled with hilarious lines. Some of the responses crack me up too. I hope more people discover the comedy gold here.

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2013

The desire for pretty much anyone practicing 'non-normative' sex to attach themselves to LGBT causes under the queer label does piss me off sometimes. Yes, in a perfect world there wouldn't be prejudice against consenting adults doing what they want to, but at the same time, polyamorists are way down the list of people being discriminated against.

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2013

sorry, but being a sexual freak who wants to sleep with everyone is not a civil rights issue. don't associate your issues with being gay or bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 1006/21/2013

I agree with R5.

by Anonymousreply 1106/21/2013

I agree with R9. We all want to be accepted, but we're fighting a different fight. I want my partner and I to be legally married so that we can have the same life saving benefits that straight couples have. This chick wants to be accepted so that...what? what does she want exactly? You want to go out and fuck a trannie, ok, so do it.

by Anonymousreply 1206/21/2013

[quote] A gender-bending pansexual polyamorist sounds off

How about just fuck off, you coat-tail-riding attention whore?

by Anonymousreply 1306/21/2013

R13 is correct

by Anonymousreply 1406/21/2013

She must rub herself to RuPaul reruns, with her "chicks with dicks" obsession. To each their own of course, but she's still obviously off her rocker.

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2013

Darling OP, ever since the L&G communities added the Bs and now the Ts and Qs, if you cannot find safety in the Q community heaven help you.

There is no horny psycho-bitch political community.

Call yourself Queer and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2013

Three words: Histrionic Personality Disorder

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2013

This is the sort of person that ends up in a heterosexual marriage with children

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013

How can you kiss a mouth that never shuts up about itself?

by Anonymousreply 1906/21/2013

r19 NAILED it. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 2006/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.